Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outter chest needs filling out

Wannabebig Member

Outter chest needs filling out

I'm stumped I'm doing bench, declines, and cables and my chest f-ing sucks! I've got center mass and some upper mass, but the outter sides of my pecs from the arm-pit to the lower pec just isn't there.

I'm so frustrated. I've gotten advice from everyone, but either I'm doing it wrong, or they're full of crap. I go to 24 Hour Fitness and have seen their personal trainers with other people and you wouldn't believe the nonsense they have members doing. I'm not entirely clueless about weight lifting so I know enough to weed out the worst advise these nit-wits give.

All of this has brought me here. I recently met a guy who recomended this place. What do I need to do to turn breasts into to broad, squared off pecs?

Thanks.

P.S.
    I just saw some posts which debat the abilty to work inner, outter, etc pecs. I understand all of the pec is involved in weight lifting, but... some movements engage areas of the pec at the beginning more than others. (this is my opinion)
    I don't want to get some debate going. I really want to learn which exerciese work best for engaging the outter edges of the pecs best.
    If Arnie and majority of the pro bodybuilders refer to "inner", "outer" then I feel it's valid enough for me.

Look forward to your help
    Last edited by platerat; 04-21-2006 at 04:12 PM.

Well... If it's valid enough for you then it must be true..

As you said, we've had many debates about building particular parts of the chest (while parts is used very loosely). The general consensus seems to be that you CANNOT build the lower/upper/inner/outter chest to any degree without simply building the entire chest.

You can build the clavical head (something like that anyway... The smaller, upper head of the pec) to some degree which would make your 'upper chest' look larger.

The shape of your chest however is entirely based on genetics. All you can do is make it bigger.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    The shape of your chest however is entirely based on genetics. All you can do is make it bigger.
    :withstupi
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

:withstupi

Yeah me too.

Oh wait... Sorry.
    Full Powerlifting
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)

Wannabebig Member
    Okay, to make things easier, fine, genetics, and fine there is no outer inner, upper, lower pec...

Now, what exercises engage, put stress on (which ever works for you) the outer area of the pecs?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by platerat
    Okay, to make things easier, fine, genetics, and fine there is no outer inner, upper, lower pec...

Now, what exercises engage, put stress on (which ever works for you) the outer area of the pecs?

Flat bench press, dips, and heavy DB flyes will build the entire chest, including your "outer area" as well. But there are NO exercises that will build just the "outer area".

Could you tell us your current routine and diet? This would give us a better idea of what advice would be useful for you. I know you listed the exercises you used, but you didn't tell us about sets, reps, or even how often you go to the gym or work chest. What about legs and back?
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 04-21-2006 at 11:10 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Thank you for the reply, Extreme

Just so I'm not misleading anyone, I should say that I do understand that the entire pec is involved in exercising. I know it's not just one bit of the muscle that does some work while the rest is off reading Mens Journal or something.

I am in the process of dropping some unwanted weight. Not much, but 10 pounds.

I don't generaly do max weight because I'm not looking for bulk but more for tone, density, and shape.
    declines 4 sets - machine
    shoulder width grip
    All sets are done with a four count up and down with contraction through the movment, but mostly stressed at the extention of the arms
    warmup 15 - 20 reps - light weight
    set one: 10 reps
    set two : 10 reps slightly heaver
    set three: 10 reps more weight
    set four: 10 reps back to set two weight

cable flys same as decline

seated pec dec

Dips hurt my shoulder so I tried decline flys instead and wouldn't you know about a month ago and hurt my shoulder when one of the weights went to wide on the downward movment. Not even using heavy weight, since I was getting used to the movment. I've been going light, but with contraction, and I think I'm doing it wrong because I really don't feel much of anything from the movement.

I do overall body work so one part of the body isn't doing all the work; legs, back (hate pull ups but get good results), shoulders (on leave of absence until the right one stops smarting), etc.

Ok, so my first reply wasn't sufficient... I'll go with answer number B:

Teh gr8t3st wAy 2 hiT teh 0ut3r ch3sT iz 2 do lotz uv uLtra-wiDe-gripz b3ncHing aNd dipz. U cud als0 tri d0iNg s3ts of 56 r3pz (magicz nUmb3r 4 ch3st gr0wTh) on teh p3c d3c.
    Last edited by deeder; 04-22-2006 at 12:06 AM.
    Full Powerlifting

Just so I'm not misleading anyone, I should say that I do understand that the entire pec is involved in exercising. I know it's not just one bit of the muscle that does some work while the rest is off reading Mens Journal or something.

I don't generaly do max weight because I'm not looking for bulk but more for tone, density, and shape.
    shoulder width grip
    All sets are done with a four count up and down with contraction through the movment, but mostly stressed at the extention of the arms

seated pec dec

Dips hurt my shoulder so I tried decline flys instead and wouldn't you know about a month ago and hurt my shoulder when one of the weights went to wide on the downward movment. Not even using heavy weight, since I was getting used to the movment. I've been going light, but with contraction, and I think I'm doing it wrong because I really don't feel much of anything from the movement.

I do overall body work so one part of the body isn't doing all the work; legs, back (hate pull ups but get good results), shoulders (on leave of absence until the right one stops smarting), etc.
    Is this your routine? And if so it consists of:

Decline machine benching
    Cable Flys
    Pec Dec
    and Decline Flys (But those hurt your shoulder and you do them with light weight now)

Overall body workout so one part isn't doing all the work? So does that mean you get a leg up on the cable to help you do flys? Use your back to move the pec dec? I don't get it...

Edit:

Anyone seen the movie "Mean Girls"? It's a chick flick but it's pretty funny... One of the main characters is always talking about how she wants to lose 3 pounds.. I always think of that when people say they want to drop 10lbs or 5lbs or whatever.. **Not another poke at the OP... Just something that always comes to mind**
    Last edited by deeder; 04-22-2006 at 12:06 AM.
    Full Powerlifting

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

(1) I don't generaly do max weight because I'm not looking for bulk but more for tone, density, and shape.
    shoulder width grip
    (2) All sets are done with a four count up and down with contraction through the movment, but mostly stressed at the extention of the arms

seated pec dec

(3)I do overall body work so one part of the body isn't doing all the work; legs, back (hate pull ups but get good results), shoulders (on leave of absence until the right one stops smarting), etc.

(numbers are mine)

1. A few things. You can not "tone" with weights. And anyway "tone" as most people think of it, is more a function of diet than lifting. Not only that, but tone is a four letter word on these forums.
    Density -- heavy weights and genetics.
    Shape--You can not train for shape. The shape of a muscle is genetic. The ONLY thing you can do is make it bigger.

2. 12 sets? That's quite a bit. Once or twice a week? How many times do you train per week?

3. What leg and back exercises do you do? Squat, deadlift?
    Now you are probably wondering why I am going on about back and legs, when what you want is more chest mass aren't you? It is because the body grows as a whole. You can't get a huge chest and arms, with a small back and tiny legs. A natural lifter's body just doesn't grow that way. Moreoever heavy squats and deadlifts work the entire body and stimulate the release of hormones which aid in growth (although how much work they actually do is still a matter of debate).

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    (numbers are mine)

1. A few things. You can not "tone" with weights. And anyway "tone" as most people think of it, is more a function of diet than lifting. Not only that, but tone is a four letter word on these forums.
    Density -- heavy weights and genetics.
    Shape--You can not train for shape. The shape of a muscle is genetic. The ONLY thing you can do is make it bigger.

2. 12 sets? That's quite a bit. Once or twice a week? How many times do you train per week?

3. What leg and back exercises do you do? Squat, deadlift?
    Now you are probably wondering why I am going on about back and legs, when what you want is more chest mass aren't you? It is because the body grows as a whole. You can't get a huge chest and arms, with a small back and tiny legs. A natural lifter's body just doesn't grow that way. Moreoever heavy squats and deadlifts work the entire body and stimulate the release of hormones which aid in growth (although how much work they actually do is still a matter of debate).
    Hmmm, so far I'm wrong about inner, outer, upper, and lower. I shouldn't say 'tone', and what I think tone means is wrong. What I think shape means is wrong. And what I may answer about the rest of my workout may be, in part or in whole, wrong... Then in that case:
    Private Joker: "Sir, the private believes that any answer he gives will be wrong! And his senior drill instructor will beat him harder if he reverses himself, sir!" (Full Metal Jacket)

12 sets is too much? I was trying to kick start some chest growth, but if that's working against me, I have no trouble changing it. What can I do to see better results?

Thank you for all your help.

Banned
    Ironically, you would probably see better results from fewer heavier sets.
    2 or 3 sets of 6-8 where you are struggling (read: still getting it up, but with difficulty) would do you some good. You might want to try flat bench, incline bench and dips (weighted if necessary).
    Seeing as you're nursing a bad shoulder I would be careful about diving right into heavy weights though.
    Also, if you are looking for a good routine that has worked for many members of this forum, check out WBB1: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

Want a bigger chest, eat and lift short heavy sets. Want to lose weight and get more definition, eat less and lift short heavy sets. The thing that sucks is you can't really get a bigger chest and lose weight at the same time unless your genetically gifted or on drugs. So make your choice, bigger or smaller, and adjust diet. Your chest may look bigger when leaner, but to add some mass to it you need to eat and put on some weight.
    Nick V

Hmmm, so far I'm wrong about inner, outer, upper, and lower. I shouldn't say 'tone', and what I think tone means is wrong. What I think shape means is wrong. And what I may answer about the rest of my workout may be, in part or in whole, wrong... Then in that case:
    Private Joker: "Sir, the private believes that any answer he gives will be wrong! And his senior drill instructor will beat him harder if he reverses himself, sir!" (Full Metal Jacket)

12 sets is too much? I was trying to kick start some chest growth, but if that's working against me, I have no trouble changing it. What can I do to see better results?

Thank you for all your help.
    Yes you are wrong on many things. However, take solace in the fact that most of us started where you were. If you soak up all the knowledge on this board you'll be on the right track very soon!

The wbb1 routine suggested above would be a VERY good start. You can be sure you won't be overworking yourself with that. But trust us the set and rep ranges are effective!
    Full Powerlifting

I don't know how anatomically correct this is but:

When i do heavy db flyes i feel it more the next day closer to my armpit.

Same with when I widen my grip for flat bb press.

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't JUST build those areas, but it does hit them.
    18 Years of Age

5'7'' 140 lbs---Now 148

As of Feb. 2006------As of April 2006------As of July 2006

Bench- 155 x 2------170 x 1--------------Not Tested
    Squat- 200 x 1 (parallel)------Untested-------205 x 1 (Ass to Grass)
    Dead- Untested------235 x 2-----------250lbs x1 (3 sets of this)

Quote Originally Posted by TechMetalMan
    I don't know how anatomically correct this is but:

When i do heavy db flyes i feel it more the next day closer to my armpit.

Same with when I widen my grip for flat bb press.

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't JUST build those areas, but it does hit them.
    You feel it because it's basically like a weighted stretch.
    Full Powerlifting

gotta disagree.

Everyone here who doesnt beleive me, just try it.

Narrow grip for the bench press will expand your chest width wise

Wide grip will define.

Squats will expand your chest.

Banned
    This has been discussed in many threads and the general consenus is that you can't build a specific part of the chest. Eating well and doing chest exercises will make your chest as a whole grow, so your upper/lower/outer chest will grow as a result. Exercising the entire body will help your chest grow as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy

Wide grip will define.
    Please explain how an exercise that predominately uses triceps will make your chest "wider". While your at it, please explain how wide grip will "define". Definition is a result of low bodyfat.

gotta disagree.

Wide grip will define.

Narrow grip will work your triceps more than your chest.. Don't see how that would help expand the chest width wise...

Wide grip define? I won't even comment on that one.

Squats expand your chest?

Please tell me that was a joke.
    Full Powerlifting

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder
    Ok, so my first reply wasn't sufficient... I'll go with answer number B:

Teh gr8t3st wAy 2 hiT teh 0ut3r ch3sT iz 2 do lotz uv uLtra-wiDe-gripz b3ncHing aNd dipz. U cud als0 tri d0iNg s3ts of 56 r3pz (magicz nUmb3r 4 ch3st gr0wTh) on teh p3c d3c.
    LOL...wow.

]gotta disagree.

Wide grip will define.

To sum up everything you just said...NO.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 04-22-2006 at 02:11 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    LOL...wow.
    Heheheh! It took me atleast 5 minutes to type that!
    Full Powerlifting

Of the Hill People
    gotta disagree.

Wide grip will define.

Now I don't know whether you've sarcastically mocked the original poster's misunderstanding or if you've actually just written the dumbest thing I've ever read. Either way, pretty entertaining.

Try out a full body split. Your body grows better as a whole, so not only will your pecs improve, but you also won't be so obsessed with a single body part that you try to figure out how to build up the outer portion of a muscle.

Wannabebig Member
    I don't want this thread to turn into another debate about if you can hit just one part of the pecs. This is about 'me' thread and getting your wisdom for improving it. hehe

Call it 'filling out' the chest, but it's like.... Hey, you know that ad you're seeing in the rupper right hand corner as you're making a post? The one for Atlarge?
    Okay, notice the ridge of that guys pec on the, dare I speak the words, outer area of his pec?
    THAT'S what I'm trying to get, but it's not happening.

Now, something I noticed today at the gym. I noticed my front delt was coming into play in some of my exercies and it shouldn't. I'm guessing that if the delt is doing the work it's just that much the pec is not doing and so I'm not sure if I'm holding my elbows wrong or what.

On cables: Elbows up, arms bent like I'm hugging a fat chick, palms facing me. Bring the hands together, about stomach level, keeping the arms bent through the whole motion.

Decline flys: On a machine. Elbows up, grip just a bit wider than shoulder width.

I don't lock out my arms for any exercise, fyi.

Thanks guys. You're endearing yourselves to me quickly.

Remember to keep your chest pushed out.
    Full Powerlifting

Of the Hill People
    I don't want this thread to turn into another debate about if you can hit just one part of the pecs. This is about 'me' thread and getting your wisdom for improving it. hehe

Call it 'filling out' the chest, but it's like.... Hey, you know that ad you're seeing in the rupper right hand corner as you're making a post? The one for Atlarge?
    Okay, notice the ridge of that guys pec on the, dare I speak the words, outer area of his pec?
    THAT'S what I'm trying to get, but it's not happening.

Now, something I noticed today at the gym. I noticed my front delt was coming into play in some of my exercies and it shouldn't. I'm guessing that if the delt is doing the work it's just that much the pec is not doing and so I'm not sure if I'm holding my elbows wrong or what.

On cables: Elbows up, arms bent like I'm hugging a fat chick, palms facing me. Bring the hands together, about stomach level, keeping the arms bent through the whole motion.

Decline flys: On a machine. Elbows up, grip just a bit wider than shoulder width.

I don't lock out my arms for any exercise, fyi.

Thanks guys. You're endearing yourselves to me quickly.
    Most chest exercises do have the problem that they're compound movements that involve smaller muscle groups, and so the limiting factor could be one of the other groups. A possible solution to this is pre-fatiguing the chest, which involves doing a light set of cable flies before you bench press, for example.

Something else you could try would be to modify your technique in the bench press. When I decided that I was going to avoided shirted benching for the near future, but still wanted to work on improving my strength, I was left with having to work harder in the lower portion of the lift than I had been training for. The lower portion of the lift is dominated by the chest and lats (if they're large enough), and the upper is tricep-dominated. Moving the bar lower down your chest and bringing your elbows in toward your body lessens the involvement of the front delt.

Instead of doing simply performing touch and go benching, I added a 1-2 second pause with each rep, lessening my reversal strength and forcing me to have good starting strength. This made it harder on the bottom portion without making the lockout too much tougher.

Try this out. I don't know if you need four pec exercises; I usually only bench with the occasional cable fly, and I'm quite happy with my pec development/strength.

As for the picture, I really think that's just a function of total mass and skillful posing. You may notice that as you stand in front of a mirror, the more you bring your shoulders back, the closer you get to achieving that broad, squared-off look you mentioned earlier, so don't expect them to look like that all the time.