The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Is there a strength limit to certain body size?

eg. i am this big and can i go stronger and stronger foreveer without bigger muscles??

Is it true??

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

No....how could you keep getting stronger and stronger without gaining muscle?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Very easy to do (although not forever) lift for hypertrophey and get big, then lift for strength. You will get stronger for quite a while without getting bigger.

Originally posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    You will get stronger for quite a while without getting bigger.
    For quite a while? No way.

Wannabebig Member
    You will, if you add strength to your lifts get bigger.

Think of it this way.

You bench press 200lbs for 8-10 reps and then after say 3 months stuck at that poundage suddenly jump up to 210 or 215 for the same reps, then you will get bigger.

Generally speaking, the bigger the muscle, the stronger the muscle...when lifting for mass, i dont get bigger with out the strenght.

And vice versa, i need to get bigger(heavier) to gain strength.
    EFFORT

Agreed. I dont think that you can continually get stronger without progessively getting bigger. Just my $.02.

You can get stronger for a long time without gaining weight. All you have to do is eat to maintian your weight. The gains will slow down after not too long but you will continue to gain for a long time.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Wannabebig Member
    I always have been told that with bodybuilding and mass , strength is just something that comes with it...

Originally posted by getin bigger
    You can get stronger for a long time without gaining weight.
    He is talking about bigger muscles.

opps, misread it.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Yah
    but you wont get bigger muscles without gaining weight(at least not very much bigger).
    The gains in strength would eventually level off unless you gained some weight, imo. But when those gains would stop, It would be different for everyone.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, if it is REAL muscle you gain, then you will gain weight.
    EFFORT

That question has to do with the two main factors influencing strength: muscle tissue (especially contractile elements) and neural efficiency.

Smaller guys like Latty and myself can put up big numbers in relation to our size because of point 2. However, both are related.

Training with very heavy weights tends to enhance neural efficiency.

Training with slightly less heavy to a good bit less heavy weight tends to generate more hypertrophy.

There's also a certain optimal level of hypertrophy. In other words, I'd never squat 800 or bench 500 at my current body weight. It won't and can't happen.

However, with almost any hypertrophy-based program, a strength deficit will be developed between the muscle's absolute strength and the force it's actually capable of developing. Without some form of maximal or ballistic training to enhance neural efficiency, that will remain the case.

In other words, with a given muscle mass, its possible to optimize neural activity to a large degree--- but it has its limits. Once those limits are reached, and preferably before, you'll have to add muscle to get stronger.

That's the situation I've found myself in at the moment. Neurologically, there's not much more I can do for myself, so I'm lowering the weight a bit and focusing on more reps to increase my muscle mass. Neural training will come afterwards to "peak" my strength.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Not forever no. But I don't think you understood my post. What I said was, IF you had already attained considerable size through lifting,and THEN switched to strength, it seems to me you could do that. In fact, you would probably initally shrink as you are not training for size anymore. Plus if you kept your calories at maintance level, it would be extremly hard to gain size. At least that's been my experience. I am not saying you would never gain size doing this, just not for a long while. Not a flame in any way, just relating personal experience

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL View Post
    That question has to do with the two main factors influencing strength: muscle tissue (especially contractile elements) and neural efficiency.

Smaller guys like Latty and myself can put up big numbers in relation to our size because of point 2. However, both are related.

Training with very heavy weights tends to enhance neural efficiency.

Training with slightly less heavy to a good bit less heavy weight tends to generate more hypertrophy.

There's also a certain optimal level of hypertrophy. In other words, I'd never squat 800 or bench 500 at my current body weight. It won't and can't happen.

However, with almost any hypertrophy-based program, a strength deficit will be developed between the muscle's absolute strength and the force it's actually capable of developing. Without some form of maximal or ballistic training to enhance neural efficiency, that will remain the case.

In other words, with a given muscle mass, its possible to optimize neural activity to a large degree--- but it has its limits. Once those limits are reached, and preferably before, you'll have to add muscle to get stronger.

That's the situation I've found myself in at the moment. Neurologically, there's not much more I can do for myself, so I'm lowering the weight a bit and focusing on more reps to increase my muscle mass. Neural training will come afterwards to "peak" my strength.
    Agree!Strength is often a part of neural adaptation however if someone is cycling his training between low rep max rep strength training,he will develop neural efficiency better hence getting stronger that may overlap to some hypertrophy while someone may train with moderate weights at moderate rep range 8-12 reps can experience hypertrophy where there will come to a point that his strength will be stagnant because his neural efficiency must be trained also.

WOW! I think this may be the OLDEST thread I have ever seen here.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Funny how the newest guys dig up the oldest threads.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Good to see Songsangnim is still here.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Funny how the newest guys dig up the oldest threads.
    at least you know they're using the search
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Your body knows how much fat and muscle it has on it, it has a comfort level it tries to maintain, something thats kinda pre determined by genetics. Were continually trying to push past that as we lift and our bodies adjust... some adjust better then others.