Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I wanna tone up? how?

I wanna tone up? how?

I want some advice on toning up. I'M 22 And weigh around 180 lbs. I do about 6-8 hours cardio a week. Ive been lifting light weights with high reps or until failure. Is this good for me?

For chest i do 10 sets of 88lbs x 20 reps on various incline/decline/flat etc.
    Will this give me a toned body.
    I bicep curl about 30lb till failure.

WHAT SHOULD I BE DONIG TO TONE UP, I DONT WANT TO GET ANY BIGGER.

Toning is actually a made-up word.

And it's astonishingly easy to not get any bigger. Here's how:

Eat less than maintenance calories
    Ditch most of your cardio
    Lift heavy in short sets, 3-4 days a week
    Don't take anabolic steroids.

High rep sets won't actually help (ie the "mythical toning range" which doesn't truly exist), training to failure is overrated, and should only be used occasionally to bust plateaux, and cardio can tend to make you softer if you're not careful.

What's your diet like?

my diet is great, i eat really well. i eat alot of egg whites, pulses and fresh vegatable, alot of fruit, white meat, fish and little brown meat. If i decrease cardio wont my heart get weaker , its about 53-55 at rest every morning. I want a program where i can "CUT UP" and not put on any weight or change my shape too much.
    "Lift heavy in short sets, 3-4 days a week" Should i increase the reps as i get stronger or increase the weight?

my diet is great, i eat really well. i eat alot of egg whites, pulses and fresh vegatable, alot of fruit, white meat, fish and little brown meat. If i decrease cardio wont my heart get weaker , its about 53-55 at rest every morning. I want a program where i can "CUT UP" and not put on any weight or change my shape too much.
    "Lift heavy in short sets, 3-4 days a week" Should i increase the reps as i get stronger or increase the weight?

Dude, listen to Built - that's her pic in the avatar. She knows what time it is. Increase the weight.

DJ
    Last edited by djreef; 04-11-2006 at 02:13 PM.

When your coworker askes you how you eat, say you "eat great".
    When somone on a BB board asks you how you eat, we mean:
    Grams of protein, carb, and fat, and total calories.
    I don't actually care that much what all you eat - you need to find what's comfortable for you. But you also need to track. www.fitday.com
    Read the link in my sig to see how to set up a cutting diet.
    As your cut increases, aim to add iron, not reps. That's how you harden up.

i filled it out and this it what i got
    calories 1770
    fat 13
    carbs 346
    protein 80

i dont use any suppliment
    Last edited by jasmartini; 04-11-2006 at 02:32 PM.

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jasmartini
    i filled it out and this it what i got
    calories 1770
    fat 13
    carbs 346
    protein 80

i dont use any suppliment
    Holy cow, your fat and protein are low, but especially your fats.

My advice is to remove some carbs and replace them with more fats especially, and then some more protein. Make sure you are taking a daily multi-vitaman. Or instead of removing some of those carbs, simple add more fats and protein (thus increasing your calorie intake). 1,700 calories is low, but who am I to talk? I go that low some days too. All up to you... But it sounds like you are doing to much cardio...
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 04-11-2006 at 02:36 PM.

Your cals are too low, I think, and your fats need to be closer to around 80-90g. Protein should be at least 160g.

What is your goal weight, do you know?

fats and proteins seem very low and carbs seem very high.

Hey built, as you progress in cut, dont you get "weaker", but you still think its better to add weight and drop the reps?whats consider too low a rep range?

So, in other words, you eat horribly, only bench press and curl, and do more cardio than you really should.

You're going to do well here.
    Last edited by Skinny Fat; 04-11-2006 at 02:40 PM.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

Yes, you get weaker. You need to keep the iron on the bar so you convince your body to drop fat instead of muscle. Low weight with lots of reps won't do this - you need to convince your body that even in a famine, even if you only use it for short bursts, you need all that muscle on a regular basis. Frequent, short, heavy bursts.

Read Baby Got Back. You might like it for this.

NOt sure what my weight goal is, around 170 i guess. in my mind, i thought if i replaced bread (sandwiches) with egg whites i would get more protein. Because i dont eat bread, i dont have butter or cheese. I rarely eat fried food aswell.
    What is a heathy type of fat to intake? what do i need to eat
    What should i eat for protein?

i really want todo this without any suppliments
    Last edited by jasmartini; 04-11-2006 at 02:47 PM.

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jasmartini
    NOt sure what my weight goal is, around 170 i guess. in my mind, i though if i replaced bread (sandwiches) with egg whites i would get more protein. Because i dont eat bread, i dont have butter or cheese. I rarely eat fried food aswell.
    What is a heathy type of fat to intake? what do i need to eat
    What should i eat for protein?

i really want tod this without any suppliments
    Natural Peanut Butter for healthy fat intake... Regular works too.

A daily vitaman isn't a suppliment... Well, ok, it technically is... But in my opinion, it is stupid to go without one. No offense if you still chose not too. I respect not wanting to put something in your body, but the fact is, we need food and we need nutrients. Since you have decided to intake a low amount of calories you most likely will not get all the vitamans and minerals that your body needs. This is for health, not looks... Use it.

Nuts (esp. walnuts) and peanut butter. Myself and people on here will tell you natural PB is best, which is true, but most brands drastically cut out the trans fats so anyting without transfats will do for peanut butter.
    I have pretty decent abs goin right now, my advice is high protein, decent amount of healthy fats (70-100 grams a day), and moderate carbs. Carbs should come from whole grains, veggies and some fruit. Try to avoid refined carbs and sugar especially. Also switch to light beer if you drink.
    Last edited by rk77; 04-11-2006 at 02:52 PM.

Iron4Life
    Skinny Fat.. that's funny!!!

Listen to Built Jas... she's right on.. as usual..

Man if I my ratios were like that.. I don't know if I could exist on a bag of sugar per day.. LOL

Welcome aboard.. and good luck with your goals.

ARE There any benifits to doing high reps?

Increased endurance.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    ARE There any benifits to doing high reps?
    Endurance...basically...being good at lifting weights many times. It won't help you put on lots of muscle mass.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf
    Skinny Fat.. that's funny!!!

Listen to Built Jas... she's right on.. as usual..

Man if I my ratios were like that.. I don't know if I could exist on a bag of sugar per day.. LOL

Welcome aboard.. and good luck with your goals.
    LOL. I'm sick and cranky, since I haven't been to the gym in three days. I think I'm snapping at people a little fast these days.

General rules:
    - 1g of protein per 1lb body weight
    - .5g of fat per 1lb body weight
    - lift heavy weights to develop any muscle size
    - every hour of cardio you do is additional muscle being burned

Seriously, 'toning up' simply means losing fat and replacing that body weight with muscle size. I know that since you came to a 'bodybuilding' site to ask for advice, you think you need to repeat - 'I don't want to get bigger' - but really. The people on this site are fighting for every pound they gain. They're eating 3-4,000+ calories a day, and lifting obscenely heavy weights. A lot of them resort to chemical enhancement.

You are not going to get big.

First of all, I don't know a person on earth who can gain size on 1,700 calories a day. You've got to be miscalculating that, because there are very few, small and/or metabolically stunted, people who can maintain their weight on that kind of caloric intake.

Secondly, if you don't lift heavy weights regularly, your body is going to decrease its amount of available muscle and increase its fat stores. It just wants to do that to survive. You have to convince your body that the muscle is more important right now than the fat.

Third, your most important supplement is meat. You need to take out at least half of your carbs and replace them with protein and fat intake - and the best way to get that is meat. Additionally, nuts, eggs, and milk work well.

We're not going to advocate supplements beyond vitamins, period. If you're not taking in enough protein, whey protein is a good place to get it, but you can just as easily eat another piece of meat to get that intake.

Stop being so freaked out - you're not going to have anybody here advise you to do steroids and 30 different supplements so that you can gain 75 lbs.

basically , i want a body like jeff lacy

how do i get it
    i think i miscalculated the amount. i like in england and we dont measue in cups. thing is i really cant put on anyweight because it will affect my cycling.
    Last edited by jasmartini; 04-11-2006 at 04:02 PM.

Iron4Life
    start boxing...
    intensely...

I don't think that is a build that most folks on WBB are looking for... we specialize more in the iron game... lifting bigger weights, building bigger muscles...

I think what you are trying to achieve in that picture.. is a classic middleweight boxers build.. not heavily muscular.. but built for explosive power generation with a punch.. and quickness and agility usually developed with lots of jump roping and running. The leanness is developed by hitting a bag 1000 times a day or so.. while doing heavy and endurance ab work.. to be able to hold those abs tight for a long period of time and be able to take a hit..
    Last edited by Bob; 04-11-2006 at 04:04 PM.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You're going to look however you're going to look. What do you mean how do you get it? Read the boards.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Fat
    So, in other words, you eat horribly, only bench press and curl, and do more cardio than you really should.

You're going to do well here.
    lol
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"