The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Buying dumbells

Buying dumbells

I'm thinking of just making a home gym, in which I'd have DBs from 50-80 lbs. Yesterday I went to a sports store, and saw that it would be incredibly expensive. Do you guys know any places that have good deals on DBs?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Are you looking to get fixed weight DBs or will adjustable ones do?

You can get some great adjustable ones from Ironmind.com, but they are not cheap. The probably have them at newyorkbarbells.com also and they would assuredly be a lot cheaper, but I can't vouch for the quality.

(edited for grammar)
    Last edited by Sensei; 05-07-2006 at 12:19 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Buy the ones where you can add and take off weight as you need to. The ones that have screw on bolts to hold the weights on are the best in my opinion.

BowFlex SelectTech is pretty badass the only drawback I can see is that the dumbbells are probably not heavy enough for your needs

http://www.bowflexselecttech.com/

Currently Recomposing... - Weight: 190 lbs | BF: ~15%

Quote Originally Posted by eps
    BowFlex SelectTech is pretty badass the only drawback I can see is that the dumbbells are probably not heavy enough for your needs

http://www.bowflexselecttech.com/
    They're expensive-ass at least. $400 for some adjustable DBs? Insane.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Of the Hill People
    I agree that adjustable would definitely be the way to go, but if you're looking at the 50-80 range, make sure you get some that fit olympic plates. Much more convenient if you also have a barbell.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    They're expensive-ass at least. $400 for some adjustable DBs? Insane.
    That too

Currently Recomposing... - Weight: 190 lbs | BF: ~15%

Quote Originally Posted by method115
    Buy the ones where you can add and take off weight as you need to. The ones that have screw on bolts to hold the weights on are the best in my opinion.
    Yea, I have these, a stability ball instead of a bench, and a pull-up bar (doorway). Highly recommended if you want to workout at home on the cheap, and you can pretty much design a decent split with this setup.

Ya im waiting to win the lottery before I start investing in a home gym.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

Banned

Wtf I had no idea they made dumbells that could fit olympic plates. Thats the most amazing thing Ive seen all day!

Can you imagine throwing some 45's on there? Talk about a 2 inch ROM on some exercises. I suppose you would have to use 25's+10's+etc. to get the higher weights you need, but it still seems that it would limit the ROM due to the size of the plates.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

"He's used to doing the jerk first, then the clean." -Xian

"Eat more? I am already consuming more than 2500 cals a day." -Danpiel

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman15
    Can you imagine throwing some 45's on there? Talk about a 2 inch ROM on some exercises. I suppose you would have to use 25's+10's+etc. to get the higher weights you need, but it still seems that it would limit the ROM due to the size of the plates.
    Yes, so get a bunch of 10lb plates. 200lbs of plates + olympic DB handles is about a quarter of the price and twice the weight of the SelectTech DBs.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Yes, so get a bunch of 10lb plates. 200lbs of plates + olympic DB handles is about a quarter of the price and twice the weight of the SelectTech DBs.
    I was just saying that because the dumbbells don't look that long, therefore you wouldn't be able to add that many 10lb plates to each side. But I haven't seen any olympic dumbbells in person so I can't really judge.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

"He's used to doing the jerk first, then the clean." -Xian

"Eat more? I am already consuming more than 2500 cals a day." -Danpiel

Who cares, this is the most amazing thing EVER!!!!!!!!

How about if I wanted to buy some non-adjustable weights? I had the screw-on DB's but once I start having to use anything around 45lbs + the amount of 10lbs doesnt fit or the 25lbs plates hinder my ROM. The only non-adjustable DB's i have are 45's, so maybe 50-80. Any suggestions?
    Don't asker for a light load, but a strong back.

JOURNAL

Best Meet Lifts @ 220 Raw:
    Squat - 475
    Bench - 355
    Dead - 500
    Total: 1330

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman15
    I was just saying that because the dumbbells don't look that long, therefore you wouldn't be able to add that many 10lb plates to each side. But I haven't seen any olympic dumbbells in person so I can't really judge.
    You'll be able to add about 5 10lb plates to each side of any decent oly. DB handle.

Mission, where are you located? I have 2 OLY db bars that I don't use, I can sell them to you for less than what you can pay for them at a store.