The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

DOMS - Still Sore 5 Days Later

I hit calves last Wednesday afternoon, and my left one is still very sore and tight. I can't remember the last time I've had DOMS longer than 2, maybe 3 days after a workout. Is this normal, or have I possibly pulled the muscle. It just seems like a long time to have DOMS.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    You may have strained the muscle considering one is hurting more than the other.

DOMS can be pretty severe and sometimes last a week. You certainly might have strained it too. Try doing some very light work and light stretching and follow that with some ice. Hopefully, you'll see major improvements by the next day.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Do you usually do calve work? I know if I don`t train a muscle frequently it tends to take longer to recover.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Banned
    I pulled/strained (don't the difference, if there is one) my calves pretty bad after an intense workout. The only thing that worked for me was to support it with a tensor bandage. I kept it on for a couple of days and I also tried stretching it out in a hot shower.
    I tried using ice, but it just go so cramped up it hurt even more!

i would recommend ice and some light stretching, cuz it sounds like you strained it. usually if you don't have DOMS for more than a certain number of days and in your case one is hurting more than the other, it usually means that you did something to the muscle.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Quote Originally Posted by Progress
    You may have strained the muscle considering one is hurting more than the other.
    I was thinking the same thing.

I've been stretching it very lightly over the last few days and it seems to be helping. It's not nearly as sore today as it was yesterday. I should be fine.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial