The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dm69
    Its not bad for the heart at all...I was talking about YOUR body weight that you all seem to try and gain. The heart has to work as hard to supply blood to your muscles as it does to your fat etc. That is why in a cardio sport like cycling we try and make it as easy on ourselves as possible by getting ourselves lighter.
    misread your post sorry, i agree. But i know a lot of big guys are in great shape, cycling is a whole different monster (different musle fibers, energy source etc).
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Cross trainer & DL addict mikesbytes's Avatar
    dm, have you read thru this thread on strenght an cycling. Seems to be a lot of differing opinions.
    http://www.cycling.net.au/t336308.html

Also a lot of cyclists are anti protein loading, as they are concerned about putting on weight. Being pro protein, I must be in the mirority in the cycling world.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dm69
    Trust me guys I dont look that bad, im an endurance athlete...personally I think the weights that you guys are is very unhealthy...too much work for the heart! Lets agree to disagree but yeah i do admit that when my body matures I will end up 70kg's (roughly) so putting on 2 or 3 kg's at my age (15) wont hurt at all.

The weight of cyclists is anywhere from 52 kg's-82kg's Lance Armstrong and Jan Ullrich are both about 73kg's when they get to race weight and if anything there on the slightly heavy side.
    You still need to gain weight. That is not a healthy weight for your height. My brother was an endurance runner for his track team back in high school. He weighed considerably more than you and he's 5'10" (he was very lean and thin). Im 5'4" and when I was a Freshman back in high school not doing much, I weighed 124...and I was about 9-10% body fat. Gain some weight. It won't hurt you. I understand the need to be at a light weight for your sport though, but the weight and height you're at now seems dangerously unhealthy.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 04-28-2006 at 02:07 AM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

He's only 15. I wouldn't worry about it that much right now. He'll fill out naturally as he gets older and his body matures. I'd say 5'11 and about 140-150 lbs is about ideal for a top level cyclist. Yes it sounds very skinny to us but endurance sports and what we do are whole different animals.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    He's only 15. I wouldn't worry about it that much right now. He'll fill out naturally as he gets older and his body matures. I'd say 5'11 and about 140-150 lbs is about ideal for a top level cyclist. Yes it sounds very skinny to us but endurance sports and what we do are whole different animals.
    yer exactly the common weight of a cyclist that is 5 ft 11 would be anywhere from 130-180 pounds so I am not far off the minimum already and I still have a lot of growing to do. Again thx 4 the help, you have provided a welcome insight from the opposite side of physical perfection ...by the way if any of you have looked at http://www.cyclingforums.com/f49-cycling-training.html you will see what I am talking about. ITS CRAZY!!! everyone has an opinion, very entertaining IMO.