Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GoodMornings

GoodMornings

Do them...

Everyone who does not currently have GoodMornings somewhere in their workout should put them in. They give my hamstrings, glutes and lower back an awesome stretch and aside from helping my squat and deadlifting have made my upper back surpringly enough look pretty sweet. Pinching your shoulders and keeping the weight steady has made muscles I didnt even know I had in my upperback sore and bigger and more defined. So do em..

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.a...=38771&tid=102

http://www.bullz-eye.com/furci/2004/...od_morning.htm
    Last edited by KevinStarke; 04-25-2006 at 02:50 PM.

LoL!

*salutes* YES SIR!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    Do them...

Everyone who does not currently have GoodMornings somewhere in their workout should put them in. They give my hamstrings, glutes and lower back an awesome stretch and aside from helping my squat and deadlifting have made my upper back surpringly enough look pretty sweet. Pinching your shoulders and keeping the weight steady has made muscles I didnt even know I had in my upperback sore and bigger and more defined. So do em..

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.a...=38771&tid=102

http://www.bullz-eye.com/furci/2004/...od_morning.htm
    In one month of GM's, my squat has gone from absolutely struggling to get 185 x 5, to doing that set, 205 x 5, 215 x 1, and a 225 x 2 on the same day.

While cutting..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    they are a staple in my routine, and ever since ive done that, my hamstring streth has skyrocketed, to the point to now i believe they actually may be stronger than my quads and they definetly are bigger.

i can see my hamstrings stick out the sides of my legs from the front, kinda crazy actually
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

so would I do them on back day or on leg day?
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Personally soba I prefer them on leg day right after squats.

Posterior chain = Traps, spine erectors, glutes, hamstrings, and calves. Do them on your posterior chain day

I need to start doing these, they're like the perfect powerlifting exercise.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Posterior chain = Traps, spine erectors, glutes, hamstrings, and calves. Do them on your posterior chain day

I need to start doing these, they're like the perfect powerlifting exercise.
    ah yes, but my posterior chain day is divided over two days so therein lies my quandary.

typically I do SLDLs after squats. I might give these a go on alternating weeks.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

give em a shot, I prefer them to SLDLs anyday for hitting my hams, glutes, and low back.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    What would be the physiological differences between this and an SLDL? My hams and glutes are sore like no tommorow for 2-3 days after just 2 working sets of SLDL.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 04-25-2006 at 03:38 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Gah, you get to deep in to what you should and shouldnt do routine was meat, do what works for you Soba. Try new things out and see what fits where. If you like GM's on a deadlift type day do em then, if you like em on a squat day do em then.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    What would be the physiological differences between this and an SLDL? My hams and glutes are sore like no tommorow for 2-3 days after just 2 working sets of SLDL.
    I don't know what the difference is, BUT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. Try them and see.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Soba, personally I think splitting up the posterior chain into 2 seperate days doesn't make sense. That goes against alot of training programs and workouts people have been using, which have been used with plenty of success I might add. But the best way to train to posterior chain is to train all of it, and the best posterior chain exercises use all of it... deadlifts, squats, olympic lifts, rows, etc.
    Um, I don't do deadlifts, squats and rows on the same day. I do deads and rows on back day and squats/SLDLs on leg day. My point is (in case you missed it the first time) that there's no one way of doing things, and that what works for you may not necessarily work for others. Now you are more advanced than I am, and I respect that. However, I think I know my body well enough to say that at my stage of training, it would not make sense for me to do all posterior chain in one session.

Thanks for the advice, Kevin. Prolly do them on leg day because god knows that deadlifts make me feel "dead" afterwards.
    Last edited by Focused70; 04-25-2006 at 07:05 PM.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Good Mornings for teh w1n!

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

these are quite odd but a very good workout, ive done sets of 135 with no issues but i was still nervous doing them.
    2000 or bust

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    In one month of GM's, my squat has gone from absolutely struggling to get 185 x 5, to doing that set, 205 x 5, 215 x 1, and a 225 x 2 on the same day.

While cutting..
    OMG I'm so gonna start GMing for breakfast lunch and dinner. My squat needs all the help it can get (seriously).

I've done GMs twice so far. They're becoming permanent.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    I don't know what the difference is, BUT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. Try them and see.
    I don't know either but to me GMs are a must. My squat and dead have improved big time since I started doing them regularly.

Yes my children... yes...

Do you have to go exactly body parallel to floor ? If I go as low as that my back starts to round.
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Noooo

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    keep a tight arch in your back and go as low as you can, for me that just above paralell, get a good stretch and pull in the hams and glutes
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySadMan
    Do you have to go exactly body parallel to floor ? If I go as low as that my back starts to round.
    Definitelly not. You want to go until you get a goooood stretch in your hams and glutes which for me isnt quite parallel.

haha. a powerlifter who doesn't do GM's is like a whore who doesn't like sex. it just never happens.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd

While cutting..

HOOLLLY Sh!+ That's insane dude, im strugeling to maintain my bench while cutting maybe ill give it a shot.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    Definitelly not. You want to go until you get a goooood stretch in your hams and glutes which for me isnt quite parallel.

You want to get far down there though.

Some tips from Cal for your Good Mornings:
    1) Get the bar LOW on your shoulders. If you're not already doing this for squats, learn how to get it back behind your traps and resting in the groove between traps and shoulders. This will allow you to get nice and low without the fear of the weight rolling forward and hurting your neck. In particular the second set of images in the first post of this thread show the guy doing GMs with just the bar and the bar is WAY too high on his neck. If you have plans of doing GMs with anything more than the bar, work on shoulder flexibility and learn how to get the bar down low.

2) Bend your knees SLIGHTLY as you approach the bottom of the motion. This will do two things, it will allow you to get closer to parallel and it will protect your hamstrings from overstretching. Also makes it a bit easier on balance. This isn't an excuse to deep knee bend for inertia or anything... just a slight bend is enough.

3) Really focus on your glutes and hams when you do it; think about PULLING back with your hams as opposed to 'just standing up'. It will make a difference once you start to get past 225 or so.

Will aka HomeYield on this site has done Good Mornings with truly sick amounts of weight. Good guy to ask for additional advice if you want it and can stand the glare from his albino features.
    Last edited by Relentless; 04-26-2006 at 08:59 AM.