Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GoodMornings

bio-mechanics question to follow;

Imagine a lifter who was perfectly built for the DL, overly long arms and short legs. If this was pushed to the extreme, realizing no one is actually built like this, would the DL become bio-mechanically the same as the squat?

Essentially, the more you push the lifter in questions body type towards that which would be ideal for DL'ing, does the movement of the DL come closer and closer to aproximating that of the squat?
    Victory belongs to the most persevering.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

I like weights. You know where you stand with them. Well, sometimes you're lying under them, trying not to let them crush you, but you see, you KNOW they'd crush you if they could. There's honesty.
    T. Campbell and Gisele Lagace

Good stuff. I always do GM's on the weeks that I take off from DL's. I currently do 2 weeks of DL followed by 1 week of GM's. Works well for me, though I'm thinking of incorporating the GM's into my workout even more.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

1) Get the bar LOW on your shoulders. If you're not already doing this for squats, learn how to get it back behind your traps and resting in the groove between traps and shoulders. This will allow you to get nice and low without the fear of the weight rolling forward and hurting your neck. In particular the second set of images in the first post of this thread show the guy doing GMs with just the bar and the bar is WAY too high on his neck. If you have plans of doing GMs with anything more than the bar, work on shoulder flexibility and learn how to get the bar down low.
    I forgot all about that. Definitelly learn to get the bar resting on your lower traps, really pinch blades together to create almost a shelf.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    I forgot all about that. Definitelly learn to get the bar resting on your lower traps, really pinch blades together to create almost a shelf.
    Yup

This is part of why I can still hit reps of 225 for GMs even though I haven't been training legs regularly since the fall (getting back into it now)

The variations of goodmornings are great too. Switch up your stance sometimes going wide legged or close legged, do goodmornings off chains or off the rack even. You can try using a camberred bar as well and bands if you have em.

great thread Kevin! I love GM's ever since I started them.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

This threads about GM's damnit not about squatting and deadlifting so enough of that. Did I mention I love goodmornings?

I did GM's yesterday after a long hiatus. My bum hurts now.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

Hell yah brick, atta' boy.

i did them today 5 sets of 5 reps 135 and 155, deff a weird workout like i said but i liked them, ill do them heavy next week and hopefully dont get crushed.
    2000 or bust

Just stay tight man and siiiiiiit that ass back.

My ass doesn't hurt the next day, am I doing them wrong ?

Although, my hamstrings and lower back usually hurt when I finish deadlift day, aswell as squat day. It's been 2 1/2 hours since my workout, finished off with GM's. My lower back is already sore.
    Last edited by SkinnySadMan; 04-26-2006 at 11:10 PM.
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

I don't like good mornings. Don't get me wrong, I fully respect they are an awesome movement. But I've tried to get into them a few times and it's never been something that carries over into my other training. I think I might have better luck with an olympic style good morning, but I haven't made a decision on whether I'll bring them back or not.

Anyway, I didn't read through this whole thread, but I did notice a question on what's different between a Good Morning and a SLDL. In one word: leverage. During a SLDL the bar pretty much stays over the top of your foot in a vertical path. During a good morning, the bar makes an arch and ends well away from an advantageous leverage point.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Care to explain what exactly an Olympic Goodmorning is Tony?

A much shorter range of motion as you move the hips back and then fully extend (ankles, knees, hips - just like a clean/snatch) when you drive up. There's a clip floating around some place that shows a guy doing some squats and "oly style" good mornings with crazy weight. I'll see if I can find it.

Hmm yah find the clip if you can, tryin to picture it in my head but it just sounds like a shorter ROM GM to me.

Edit: found the video on youtube! He does some ATF squats and then some Oly good mornings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH-IadDDsK4
    Last edited by Anthony; 04-27-2006 at 07:48 AM.

Damn cant view them here apparently either (at school) haha. I'll check it out when I get home.

Iron4Life
    That "jump" at the top of that OL GM is killer...
    Can't image having >450 lbs on my back, slightly bent over, and exploding/jumping up...

GMs are awesome.. and thanks to Kev, I've been pushing the weight lately and absolutely killing my back.. to the good.
    I usually do them on Squat days... sometimes supersetting them with my downside pyramid squats...
    like 225x10 Squats SS w/ 3 reps GMs..
    then down to 185 x 10 Squats SS w/6 reps GMs..
    then down to 135 x 10 Squats SS w/10 reps GMs..
    then 2 supersets of 135 x 10 GMs followed by 10 reps RDLs

Probably too much.. but my GM Strength has increased > 75% last couple of months... Kevin suggested getting over the "fear"... so I want >300 x 3 GMs by end of year...

Hell yah, glad I could influence someone to give em a shot, and look at that they RULE! Just keep at em man and you'll crush 300 like nothing.

Anthony, saw the video and thats real interesting. Looks like you can definitelly move morem weight that way and be more explosive, might give em a shot.
    Last edited by KevinStarke; 04-27-2006 at 10:23 AM.

Those GM are very interesting, my form is nothing like that. Might try those out.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--

Hey Kevin,

(from the video) Is it necessary to explode up with heels off of the ground? Or is that just a vairation of it?

Not at all, thats an olympic goodmorning. He's not going down as deep as regular goodmornings and they dont involve any pop like that, just commin straight up and goin back down.
    Last edited by KevinStarke; 04-27-2006 at 04:06 PM.

I threw these in to my workout today.

I planted my feet slightly apart and sort of forward from where they'd be for a squat (and first I had them under my shoulders, like a squat, but could tell right away as soon as I put any weight on I'd fall over forward), stuck my ass out, made eye contact with myself in the mirror, and dipped to where I could feel a stretch.

I can see a lot of potential for strengthening your lower back... but also a lot of potential to wreck it. I started with an empty oly, which was useless because I couldn't even feel it to even begin to work on my form, and did six reps of bar (45), 65, 85, 95, 105, and 125 ... which still wasn't heavy but my back was on fire from the volume. I'll start at 125 next week but I hate wasting time. Still, better safe than Bruce Lee.

I like them... hope I'm doing them right.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

^thats exactly what i did when I started doing GM. Its the safest way to slowly move up and find your working weight.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...