Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GoodMornings

48hrs later, my ass is still sore. Thanks KStarke!
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

brick tested... Kevin approved.

Deadlifts are not squats, and squats are not deadlifts, but there sure is a lot of carryover on both. Not true with bench and either of the others.

That vid of oly GM's looks more like a guy just exploding out of 1/4 squats.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    I did 'em last night at the gym after squats and I felt them. I didn't go past 115 because I'm still kinda new to them but my hams did feel the strain, as did my glutes, and whatever the inner thigh muscle is called. I build up quite a bit of strain having a long leverage arm. I likes it.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Awesome Mike, keep at em.

Per ExRx:

Squat:
    Target: Quads
    Synergists: Glutes, Addductor, Soleus
    Dynamic Stabilizers: Hams, Gastrocnemius
    Stabilizers: Erecor Spinae
    Antagonist Stabilizers: Rectus Abdominus, Obliques
    (9 total)

DL:
    Target: Glutes
    Synergists: Quads, Adductor, Soloeus
    Dynamic Stabilizers: Hams, Gastrocnemius
    Stabilizers: Erecor Spinae, Traps (upper, middle), Levator Scapulae, Rhomboids
    Antagonist Stabilizers: Rectus Abdominus, Obliques
    (13 total)
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    Still, better safe than Bruce Lee.
    LOL
    I've only tried GM's once or twice. I'm goning to give them another shot next leg workout as a result of reading this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    Still, better safe than Bruce Lee.

I like them... hope I'm doing them right.
    "A perfectly safe exercise is a perfectly useless exercise." - Louie Simmons

Make sure you are maintaining a tight arch, keeping your upper back tight, abs tight. Pretty much the same advice you give for squatting. If you stay tight, don't do too much too soon, and maintain proper form, then it's not a particularly dangerous exercise - no more so than DLing or SQing.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan

You want to get far down there though.

Some tips from Cal for your Good Mornings:
    1) Get the bar LOW on your shoulders. If you're not already doing this for squats, learn how to get it back behind your traps and resting in the groove between traps and shoulders. This will allow you to get nice and low without the fear of the weight rolling forward and hurting your neck. In particular the second set of images in the first post of this thread show the guy doing GMs with just the bar and the bar is WAY too high on his neck. If you have plans of doing GMs with anything more than the bar, work on shoulder flexibility and learn how to get the bar down low.

2) Bend your knees SLIGHTLY as you approach the bottom of the motion. This will do two things, it will allow you to get closer to parallel and it will protect your hamstrings from overstretching. Also makes it a bit easier on balance. This isn't an excuse to deep knee bend for inertia or anything... just a slight bend is enough.

3) Really focus on your glutes and hams when you do it; think about PULLING back with your hams as opposed to 'just standing up'. It will make a difference once you start to get past 225 or so.

Will aka HomeYield on this site has done Good Mornings with truly sick amounts of weight. Good guy to ask for additional advice if you want it and can stand the glare from his albino features.
    on the ascent/descent, is a 3 count good as far as speed is concerned?
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

I use a wide stance most of the time on my GMs: http://media.putfile.com/GMs--Windmills
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    I use a wide stance most of the time on my GMs: http://media.putfile.com/GMs--Windmills
    huh? I wasn't asking about foot spacing, but rate of ascent/descent. I'm not sure how fast to do them.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by SobaAddict70
    on the ascent/descent, is a 3 count good as far as speed is concerned?
    If you're not at a plateau, i dont think you have to worry much about tempo, because that can sometime ruin your concentration. PLus with heavy weight i doubt you can go any less than 2 counts. but i could be wrong for i've never really taken the time to count haha.

oh yeah thanks you.
    your sig had reminded me about X3.

Quote Originally Posted by SobaAddict70
    huh? I wasn't asking about foot spacing, but rate of ascent/descent. I'm not sure how fast to do them.
    I didn't post the video in response to you, but since you asked I think that rep speed is pretty evident in a video...

I didn't post the video in response to you, but since you asked I think that rep speed is pretty evident in a video...
    I'm at work, so can't watch the video.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Reverse Hypers are the only true "glute exercise". GM's, deads, squats, lunges, and step-ups all hit them well.

Now that I've strayed off topic, continue arguing...
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

"A perfectly safe exercise is a perfectly useless exercise." - Louie Simmons
    That's an awesome quote, by the way. Louie Simmons is The Man.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

Good mornings have added 40lbs to my squat in 2 session. Risk says heavy things good.

Another believer!

I really hope the moderators will have the time and patience enough to cull the BS out of this thread, rather than simply close it...

I had the patience to delete the posts, since my polite attempt to steer a valuable thread back on course didn't help.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Many thanks elwood

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    Many thanks elwood
    If I missed any..lol..let me know!

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

hahaah i thought Kevin made a new GoodMorning thread. I was like man he must really be obsessed with it.

question about gm's are you supposed to go down like SLDL or do you bend your knees? iv havent done it with bending my knees, i just keep my knees almost locked and go parallel.. is this correct?
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Bend your knees! You can go a little lower and you don't have the risk of doing major damage to your hamstrings, 250+lbs on a stretch is bad news!

Iron4Life
    Kev.. or anyone..

Have you ever tried GMs with a twist? In other words, as you bend over, twist to one side, then the other... and come back up. I've tried it a few times, with a much lighter weight (like bar + 50 w/collars of coarse) and higher reps (12-16). The next day, my back is usually quite tight...

And I think that reverse torso twist really helps my rear Hip Flexors.. (Iliopsoas sp?)