Thread: Planning first major bulk

Wannabebig Member

Planning first major bulk

Hey all.

I'm an 18 year old highschool senior on the verge of graduation. Like many of you, midway through highschool I was unhappy with how thin I was and decided to dedicate myself to changing it.

I started lifting at around age 16 right before heading into my junior year. I was about 5'10 and 128 pounds.

Two years later I am 5'11 and got up to around 174 pounds. I would consider my "technique" as far as total lifting habbits these past few years to be somewhat experimental, involving many ups and downs and trial and error. That being said, I still made (in my opinion) impressive gains and couldn't be happier with the progress being made. This also leads me to the conclusion that despite being thin, I'm not really a "hard gainer" as a lot of people seem to be.

I'm older and a lot more educated (partially due to the great information on these forums) on lifting and nutrition, and really want to start a real bulk over the summer. With all the things going on at school, like the endless projects and papers I've been working on, I have not been keeping up with the huge ammount of calories I was supposed to be eating. I dropped down to around 167 pounds. Interesting thing is, I didn't really see any strength loss in any manifestation, and my bench press actually continued to slowly increase. I guess I inadvertently went on a cut without even knowing it!

Enough blabbering. I guess my question was, would it be a decent idea to just relax on the heavy dieting and intense lifting until I graduate (about a month) and just hit the gym three times a week with a decent protein intake? I probably won't make any gains, but I dont see myself making any huge losses either. School just takes a lot out of me and I just don't have it in me to really dedicate myself to a true "bulk" I guess.

When summer comes around I plan to start supplementing with creatine and really going nuts with the calories and the lifting.

That sounds like a solid plan. Everbody needs to back it off a little sometimes. I would go so far as to say you can just take a couple weeks off (especially during finals). You'd be surprised how much stronger you'll feel after your body has had a chance to completely recover.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I think you're exaggerating how much school takes out of you. Either that or your high school is much more difficult than mine was.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Wannabebig Member
    It must be. I'm in a few AP classes that all seem to be throwing me projects and finals at the same time.

Not to mention I find it to be quite the pain in the ass eating a good breakfast at 6:15AM (when I have to get up to get there on time), and eating a quality lunch on a daily basis considering we have but 30 minutes to go out and find something or stay in the cafeteria and eat the prison food.
    Last edited by greentinted; 05-14-2006 at 10:35 AM.