The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell, why not?

Fun with dieting!

Okay, I figure there are already plenty of masturbatory journals up on the web without me adding mine, but I can't help myself. I'm not really doing this for anyone else to read, just trying to give myself a kick in the ass. No bullshit. I'll post my namby-pamby poundages, diet, everything. If anyone want's to give suggestions, point and snicker, whatever, be my guest. Let's get thing going then.

I've been dieting now for about 6 weeks. I'm trying to be gradual as typically I'm an impatient guy. You know, the kind of person who's says "Dude, I'm gonna be hyoooge in six weeks. 25lbs. of muscle. Ellington Darden says you can do it." Then six weeks later, I'm looking like a beached whale. I still generally adhere to pretty low-volume routines, but for the past 6-7 months I've started to learn that slow and steady, does indeed, win the race. So what the **** does all that mean? It means I've been trying to lose .5-1 lb a week, not 2-3 lbs. I'm not using a ketogenic diet, I can't stick with them. Lord know I've tried, but after after two weeks I get this maniacal look on my face, order a large pizza with everything, several bottles of coke, and gorge myself until I pass into a hazy glucose and fat induced coma.

So this time I'm taking a different approach. Basically, I'm using all the latest science(Whoooh, bet you've heard that one before.) I've been using a cyclical isocaloric diet with planned refeeds every 3 days. You want that in English? Okay. Basically, it means I'm getting about 33% of my calories from carbs, 33% from protein, and 33% from fat. After 3 days of dieting I eat about 20% above maintenance calories. Most of these come from glucose and glucose polymers(Maltodextrin and dextrose.) along with some food I actually like eating. The idea is to help keep leptin levels high, as these typically drop substantially on a reduced calorie diet. Leptin is probably, the key hormone when it comes to weightloss. You might have read about the gene-altered mice that balooned up--yup, they didn't produce any leptin. Glucose metabolism is the primary cause of leptin expression, so that's what the refeeds are designed to do. You should keep fat and fructose minimal and protein at about 1g per lb of bodyweight. You can find some more interesting stuff if so inclined at
    http://www.avantlabs.com
    It's kinda scientific-y, but interesting.

As for my lifting routines, it's pretty low-volume. Even more so than my usual, as I feel while dieting volume *must* be reduced to avoid overtraining. Sort of Dorian Yates-ish HIT. Except I use good form(I'm not planning on tearing any biceps soon.)

My starting stats were: 5'11'', 217lbs, 18.3% bodyfat
    My current stats are: 5'11'', 205 lbs, 16.7% bodyfat
    (Just as a note, the figures most people throw out for bodyfat are so pathetically wrong so that you might think I'm a fat-ass. No, I can see my abs; when I'm lifting the vein on my biceps bulge out. Not ripped, but I'm no tub-o-lard either. If I used the kind of figure most people give I'd be 11% bodyfat.)

Anyway, let's get started.

(BTW, apologies to Belial for kinda ripping off the name of his journal. Wasn't intended and doesn't seem I can fix it. Oh, well. C'est la vie.)
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 01-20-2002 at 05:50 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Day 1 - 1/20/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS:
    Okay, my first lesson. Guess I can't swear on these boards. ****. <-Those weren't stars I typed.

So today was cardio. Ahh, yes. The joy of cardio. Roughly as enjoyable an experience as having a nail hammered through my scrotum(Watch "The Serpent and the Rainbow" if you want the visual.) For now I'm doing the WAMC(Wimpy Ass Morning Cardio) but I've been contemplating switching to HIIT(High Intensity Interval Training)

EXERCISE
    Treadmill: 30 minutes at 15 degree incline, 3.5mph

I've always noticed that while dieting the my calves noticeably improve because of the cardio I do so I thought I'd take things even a bit further, so I've added a high-volume, low-intensity calf workout after 2 of my 3 weekly cardio sessions. So far, it seems to be okay. The poundages are pretty light as my calves are pretty fried from the treadmill, though a number of the sets usually approach failure nonetheless. The calf workout is as as follows:

Calf-raises(performed on incline leg press):
    10/87.5, 10/75, 10/60, 10/45, 10/30, 10/30, 10/25, 10/25, 10/15, 10/15
    Seated calf-raises:
    10/45, 10/35, 10/25, 10/25, 10/15

DIET
    Today is a refeed day so my diet pretty much consisted of Ultra Fuel and MRP's.

10:00am(Pre-workout) 22g whey, 5g glutamine peptide, 5g BCAA, 2 fish oil caps, 1g Ester-C, 400IU Vit. E(22g protein, 3g carbs, 1g fat)

10:30am(After treadmill, prior to calves) 50g Ultra Fuel, 250mg ALA(49g carbs, 0g protein, 0g fat)

11:00(post-workout)22g whey, 5g glutamine peptide, 5g BCAA, 100g Ultra Fuel, 1g Ester-C, 400IU Vit. E, 250mg ALA (102g carbs, 22g protein, 1g fat)

11:30am 1 Lean Body MRP(29g carbs, 45g protein, 1.5g fat)

2:00pm 4 low-fat Hostess Cupcakes(126g carbs, 8g protein, 6g fat)-- I gotta have a little fun damn it. Only 1.5g fat a piece, anyway.

3:00pm 1 bottle lowfat kefir, 0.7lbs mashed potatoes (90g carbs, 21g protein, 20g fat--ouch.)

5:00pm 1 Lean Body MRP, 1 fish oil cap, 40mg GLA

7:00pm 100g Ultra Fuel(98g carbs, 0g protein, 0g fat)

9:00pm 7oz. spaghetti, 1.5cups sauce, 25g parmesan, 250mg ALA(173g carbs, 50g protein, 24g fat)

9:30pm 3 cups skim milk, 2 low-fat cupcakes(94g carbs, 28g protein, 3g fat)

10:30pm 3 caps ZMA

11:00pm 1 VPX Micellean MRP, 2 fish oil caps

Totals:
    Carbs:822g Protein: 286g Fat: 64.5

Comments: A little bit too much fat, but overall considering this is the 1st time I've tallied up the calories on a refeed day anywhere but my head, this ain't bad. I'm still worried about the amount of fructose though. I've seen Lyle McDonald say there's only about 10g of fructose in Ultra Fuel, but since there are 29g of sugar in a serving and the only other carb is maltodextrin, I gotta assume there is 29g of fructose. Maybe I'm missing something here. Also, since table sugar is half glucose/half fructose the cupcakes are a bad idea. Spaghetti sauce also has too much fructose. In summary: too much fructose.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 01-22-2002 at 01:47 PM.

Good to see you posting a journal, always wanted to see your routine in action.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Originally posted by Belial
    Good to see you posting a journal, always wanted to see your routine in action.
    You sure about that? Just try not to laugh too hard. BTW, I always thought you were one of the few, and I emphasis, *few* people on elite you had an idea of what you were talking about. Haven't read too much of your journal, but it looks like you've been at it awhile. We'll see how long my motivation holds up(depends on if I feel this is adding anything to my training) Feel free to let me know when you think something I'm doing is stupid.(Knowing me this will be pretty often.)

Day 2 - 1/21/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    Whoo, boy. My first day of training without ECA. Ayeey. I'm a firm believer in the powers of ephedra, but I've been using it for for quite some time now. Took 20mg, 3 times a day for the first 3 weeks of dieting, and for the past three weeks I've just taken it pre-workout(I use Adipokinetix prior to cardio. It's a norephedrine, caffeine, yohimbe stack) Anyways, it's really time I took a break, so I'm cutting out all thermogenics. Not sure what kind of effect it'll have on fat-loss, but I definitely know I'm gonna miss my ephedra when I'm training. I've done something similar to this several times before, and usually my poundages plummet. I'm hoping the effects are quite so big this time.

Since the thought of doing my workouts "unassisted" has me in cold-sweats, in my pathetic desperation I've decided to use an herbal stack of 200mg ginkgo biloba, 250mg DMAE, 250mg ALA, 1g l-tyrosine, and 400mg phosphotidyl choline. Most of these are precursors for neuro-transmitters. Biotest makes a product called Neuro Boost--or something like that--which is roughtly equivalent. Frankly, I don't think it's gonna do jack ****. Guess we'll see. Maybe I'll do the old Ahhhnold visualization thing. Me as Conan the Barbarian. Actually, I think that'll cause me to into convulsions of laughter and drop the weights on myself. I'll just have to work twice as hard as normal.

EXERCISE
    Okay, first a comment. Yes, my poundages are pathetic no matter how I spin things, but I must qualify them by saying, if I used the form typically seen in a gym they'd be a good 50-100% heavier. Using a 212 cadence, where you actually count one-one thousand, two-two thousand is quite slow. When I switched to doing things this way, my poundages went down considerably, but my joints are very appreciative. I have in the past also used Super Slow(10second concentric, 5 second eccentric) but it is difficult to be progressive using this scheme, and it's really painful. I made good lbm gains, but minimal strength gains.
    Today is chest/delts day(I don't do direct tricep work) Here's how things went down.

Incline DB Press
    Tempo: 212
    Warm-up: 60's x 6
    Work-set: 80's x 3

Comments:
    Used good form, pushed hard, but still one less rep than last week. Considering my ephedra-free state though, not bad.
    B&I Rating:
    okay

Barbell Bench Press
    Warm-up: bar x 8, 135 x 8

Comments:
    Don't really consider this "real work." Just like to keep the synapses firing for when I return to working hard on my bench. The 2nd warm-up is slightly taxing.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Hammer Strength Bench Press
    Tempo: 414
    Warm-up: previous exercise
    Work-set: 180 x 3

Comments:
    The word's "Jesus f*cking christ" come to mind. I really pushed, but to no avail. I've dropped this 25 lbs. each of the past two weeks, hoping to go for a fairly long TUL, but my reps have stayed the same. Don't think I've lost strength, I just have no endurance in my chest. I'll guess I'll shoot back up to 230 for next week. Screw a long TUL.
    B&I Rating:
    Crap

Incline DB Flyes
    Tempo: 212(warmup), 414(work-set)
    Warm-up: 20's x 6
    Work-set: 40's x 6

Comments:
    Another exercise where I've dropped my poundages considerably(I was using 60lb dbs) Here it's worked okay. Got one more rep that last week. REALLY busted my ass though. Last rep took about 10s on the positive. Really good. (Yes, goddamnit it's a foo-foo exercise. I take what I can get.)
    B&I Rating:
    Great.

Dips
    Tempo: 101
    Warm-up: bodyweight x 6
    Work-set: bodyweight+50lb DB x 2

Comments:
    I *really* wanted one more rep. Damn I was going for it, but it just wouldn't happen. Did a 10s iso at the end. So this one's the same as last week.
    B&I Rating:
    Okay

DB Overhead Press
    Warm-up: 30's x 6
    Work-set: 55's x 2

Comments:
    F*ck. F*ck. F************ck. One rep less than last week, and I was arching my back a bit on the first rep to boot. Utter crap. Crappy form. Crappy # of reps. Crap.
    B&I Rating:
    Crap.

Hammer Strength Behind-the-neck Press
    Work-set: 180x4

Comments:
    Didn't write how many reps I got last week, so I'm not sure if this was an improvement or not. First couple reps felt easy, but got heavy pretty quick. Pushed for one more but I couldn't get it.
    B&I Rating:
    Decent.

Lateral Raise
    Tempo: 212(warm-up), 414(work-set)
    Warm-up: 12's x 6
    Work-set: 15's x 4

Comments:
    Pushed pretty hard on the work-set. Same reps as last week, so I won't wank too much.
    B&I Rating:
    Decent.

Barbell Wrist Curl
    Tempo: 212(warm-up), 414(work-set)
    Warm-up: bar x 6
    Work-sets: 95 x 2, 95 x 2

Comments:
    Got a painful twinge in my left wrist on the work-set, so I stopped, shook it off and went for two more. Not sure what it was. Oh, well.
    B&I Rating:
    Crap.

Overall Comments:
    Not a great workout by any stretch of the imagination but not the total disaster I expected. Most of my poundages stayed pretty steady, and considering I was off ephedra and I'm dieting I consider that a decent achievement. My workout did go too long, however. It was almost 1hour 15min. Should really be about 40 minutes. I'll try cutting my rest periods down a bit. Also, not sure if my herbal stack helped or not. I'll probably keep doing it 'cause I might as well use up the stuff(It's just taking up room as is.)

DIET

7:00am: 2 eggs, 60g muesli, 1/2 cup milk, 22g whey, 1 multi vit., 1g ester-c, 400IU vit. E(52g carbs, 46g protein, 13.5g fat)

9:30am: 1 serving Trac Creatine(4g arginine, 4g creatine), 250mg DMAE, 400mg Phosphotidyl choline, 200mg ginkgo biloba, 1g L-tyrosine

10:00am(pre-workout): 22g whey, 5g glutamine peptide, 5g BCAA
    (3g carbs, 22g protein, 1.5g fat)

10:30am(halfway through workout): 50g Ultra Fuel, 250mg ALA
    (49g carbs, 0g protein, 0g fat)

11:00am(post-workout): 1 serving Biotest Surge, 5g glutamine peptide, 250mg ALA(50g carbs, 25g protein, 1.5g fat)

1:00pm:stir-fried chicken and vegetables(25g carbs, 27g protein, 10g fat)

3:00pm: 1oz peanuts(5g carbs, 8g protein, 16g fat)

5:00pm: stir-fried chicken and vegetables(25g carbs, 27g protein, 10g fat)

7:30pm: stir-fried chicken and vegetables(25g carbs, 27g protein, 10g fat)

10:15pm: 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 cup milk, 22g whey, 5 fish oil caps(19g carbs, 43g protein, 11.5g fat)

Totals:
    Calories: 2578kcal
    Carbs: 253g
    Protein: 225g
    Fat: 74g fat

Comments:
    Not quite isocaloric, but not bad. I'd like to see the protein and carbs be switched in terms of gram amounts, but other than that things worked out pretty well. Calories are just about right. The only problem is I consume about 75% of my carbs and 50% of my protein by the time I finish my workout. I was *very* hungry at about 3:00pm. The peanuts were from an impromptu visit to a snack machines 'cause my stomach felt like it was gonna cave in. I didn't want to use up a real meal, considering I didn't have many left. Yet, I still think taking in fairly large amount of protein, and particularly, glucose+glucose polymers right around the time of my workout is important. Maybe I'll only eat half as much muesli and use half as much Ultra Fuel. That would give me another 40-50g of carbs to spread through the day.

MISC.
    I started doing Bujinkan Taijutsu(ninjutsu) today after a 2 year hiatus. It's a 1.5hour class, 2 times a week. I'm a bit worried how it'll affect my training. If it has a major deleterious effect, it'll have to be dropped. Also I didn't get enough sleep last night. Woke up after about 6.5 hours, and couldn't fall back asleep. So I ate breakfast, etc. then went back to bed for an hour. Still I need a minumum of 8-9 hours. I really need to get to bed earlier(Like say 10:00pm)
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 01-22-2002 at 06:04 PM.

Blood&Iron-
    Good luck with the journal bro. Looking forward to seeing how you progress. I have been doing NHE and keeping a journal for around a month or more now. Results have been pretty good. Really like the detail.

Good luck bro.

Good luck. Your plan looks interesting and that's a great link you gave. Leptin's the next big thing huh? Well kudos to you for taking advantage of it.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Originally posted by MonStar1023
    Blood&Iron-
    Good luck with the journal bro. Looking forward to seeing how you progress. I have been doing NHE and keeping a journal for around a month or more now. Results have been pretty good. Really like the detail.

Good luck bro.

Originally posted by Jane
    Good luck. Your plan looks interesting and that's a great link you gave. Leptin's the next big thing huh? Well kudos to you for taking advantage of it.
    Thank's to the both of you for the encouragement. I'll have to check up on your journals and see how things have being going for you.

If you can keep updating like this, your journal's going to be an instant classic. Glad you started it, best of luck to you. Nice to see a guy who does what it takes to grow, screw the poundages, the focus on form and tempo means the quality of your workouts must be inspiring.
    Last edited by Alex.V; 01-21-2002 at 09:50 PM.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Originally posted by Belial
    If you can keep updating like this, your journal's going to be an instant classic. Glad you started it, best of luck to you. Nice to see a guy who does what it takes to grow, screw the poundages, the focus on form and tempo means the quality or your workouts must be inspiring.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. Made my day a little brighter.

Blood&Iron-
    Damn I thought my journal was detailed! Yours is incredible. Going through ever exercise etc. Keep it up!

Day 3 - 1/22/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    Another day, another horrible, torturous turn on the treadmill. Damn, I hate cardio. I even hate the word "cardio."("Aerobics" is just as annoying a term--and is apparently passe to boot.) I remember someone making an analogy to galley slaves in some Roman ship. Remember "Ben Hur"? Stuck in a windowless fetid room, toiling ceaselessly but not moving, watching the other pathetic galley slaves around you doing exactly the same thing. For a while I cut out cardio completely. I had been running three miles three times a week--which I still think is horrible for one's knees--and the stuff the SuperSlow Exercise Guild was saying was just what I wanted to hear. You can read their take, which like all of their opinions is extremely one-sided, if so inclinedat:

http://www.superslow.com
    (It's under articles)

I still agree with them insofar as I think cardio vastly overrated as a weightloss tool. It's far easier to simply cut out a few calories here and there to achieve a caloric deficit. Contrary to popular belief, aerobic exercise doesn't really raise your metabolism that much while your doing it, let alone contribute to a higher metabolic rate for the rest of the day. But I think it's valuable for cardiovascular health in ways which lifting, no matter how short the rest periods and intense cannot duplicate -- although superficially they appear the same. Yes, heart rate may be similar, but when lifting there is not a commensurate increase in oxygen uptake(VO2)--which is the real indication of what's going on cardiovascularly. Do a 20-rep set of squats and you'll be panting more than if you ran several miles at top speed, but VO2 will not be nearly the same. Nevertheless, cardio sucks.

EXERCISE

Treadmill: 25min. at 15degree incline, 3.5mph for 1st 15minutes/3.0mph for last 10 minutes

Comments:
    My heart-rate was pretty steady at 160bpm for almost the entire time I was on the treadmill. Felt more onerous/difficult than normal. I *really* miss my Adipokinetix. Just three more weeks and my beta-receptors will be fresh and ready to go!

Calf-raise on incline leg press:
    75 x 10, 62.5 x 10,50 x 10, 37.5 x 10, 37.5 x 10, 25 x 10, 25 x 10, 12.5 x 10, 12.5 x 10

Seated Calf-Raise:
    45 x 10, 35 x 10, 25 x 10, 25 x 10, 15 x 10

Comments:
    High-volume, low-intensity calf workout(BTW, I'm not really trying to be progressive here) 1 minute or less rest between sets. I really don't focus on the quality of these sets, though they're not horrible It's just manual labor in my opinion. This is merely an experiment with high-volume. I have noticed a visible improvement in my calves so in that regard it seems to be working--in spite of my expectations.

Overall Comments:
    I really should probably switch to HIIT for my cardio as it would be more efficient and more effective, but I'm somewhat worried about overtraining, especially my legs. Besides, I really consider my current cardio as a calf-workout and that seems to make it somewhat more bearable(Well, not really, but it's what I keep trying to tell myself.)

DIET

10:00am: 1 serving Trac Creatine(4g arginine, 4g creatine), 100mg ginkgo biloba, 250mg DMAE, 400mg phosphotidyl choline, 1g L-tyrosine, 1g ester-C, 400IU Vit. E, 1 GNC mult. vit.

10:30am(pre-workout): 22g whey, 5g glutamine peptide, 5g BCAAs(3g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 1.5g fat)

11:00am(after treadmill, prior to calves): 50g Ultra Fuel(49g carbs/0g fiber, 0g protein, 0g fat)

1:00pm: stir-fried chicken and vegetables, 2 fish oil caps(25g carbs/4g fiber, 27g protein, 12g fat)

2:30pm: 1 oz. peanuts(4g carbs/3g fiber, 7g protein, 16g fat)

3:30pm: VPX Micellean MRP(25g carbs/7.5g fiber, 45g protein, 2g fat)

6:30pm: 2oz. whole wheat spaghetti, 1.5cups spaghetti sauce, 1 can tuna, 25g parmesan cheese(67g carbs/18g fiber, 53g protein, 22g fat)

7:00pm: 8oz milk, 2 cookies(21g carbs/0g fiber, 9g protein, 4.5g fat)

8:30pm: VPX Micellean MRP(25g carbs/7.5g fiber, 45g protein, 2g fat)

10:00pm: 3 ZMA caps

10:30pm stir-fried chicken and vegetables, 3 fish oil caps(25g carbs/4g fiber, 27g protein, 13g fat)

Totals:
    Calories: 2573kcal
    Carbs/Fiber: 244g/44g
    Protein:235g
    Fat:73g

Comments:
    Really should have eaten a couple of eggs when I first woke-up or at the very least a scoop of whey.(I skip carbs prior to morning cardio. Really it's just residual bodybuilding dogma I haven't managed to shed, and probably not that important. I'd have to look for some studies and I'm lazy. But overall everything was pretty much on target today.

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    Again, sleep was a bit restless. Woke up after about 6.5 hours, and couldn't get back to sleep for another hour or so. Then I slept for another 1.5 hours, so only about 8 hours of sleep total.(Not enough, at least for me.) Perhaps, it's due to overtraining because of my added calf workouts. Don't want to jump to the obvious HIT conclusion. I'll just look out for other signs. Probably, just the fact that I'm going to bed too freakin' late. I really need to fix this. Should be 10:00pm->7:00am = sleepy-time.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 01-22-2002 at 05:24 PM.

Blood&Iron-
    Great journal I must compliment you again... I am wondering how is the CID looking for you? Are you seeing good results with it? It seems like the hottest thing lately in bodybuilding circles.

So you do cardio then hit calves? Interesting..

Awesome journal man !! Keep up the hard work!!
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Good stuff, and fun to read.

Cardio does indeed suck.

Work with Tryska to make your's hardcore.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Day 4 - 1/23/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    Having spent a bit of time last night looking at Belial's training log, it really made me question myself. His progress is/was incredible and the more I thought about things the more small and weak I felt. I've been lifting fairly seriously for about 3 years(I went to a very rigorous school which prevented my absolute dedication to lifting.) and the last 7-8months, since I finished school, lifting has pretty much been the focus of my life. Yet my poundages suck. That's actually never been my focus but it really makes me question myself at times. Anyway, this was really gnawing at me while I was lifting today. I just felt like some poseur, pansy m'fer. But negativity doesn't get you anywhere, and no one likes a whiner. The only meaningful comparison I can make is to myself: am I better than I was this time last year? Yes. I know far more about lifting and I've made significant progress, maybe not in strength, but in appearance. Compared to 99% of the people at my gym that's a major accomplishment. So hey, f*ck it. I'll just keep getting bigger and better. A couple years, and I'll be squatting 400 with perfect form, and be a lean 235. Trust me, it'll happen.

EXERCISE
    Note:
    Tempos are in eccentric-static-concentric order. So 301 means a 1s positive, no contracted hold, and a 3s negative

Assisted/Weighted Chins
    Tempo: 313(warm-up), 301(work-set)
    Warm-up: -110(palms-away) x 6
    Work-set: bodyweight+10lbs.(palms-facing) x 4.5

Comments:
    I do the warm-up on a machine with a very light weight and slow tempo focusing on the contraction of my muscles; just gets the blood flowing. For the work-set I move over to a chinning bar. I perform my chins from a dead-hang(arms completely straight) and go up until my chest hits the bar and my upper-arms have traveled 180degrees. I was really determined to improve this lift. My first lift of a workout is generally my yard-stick for progress. Last week was a fiasco. I tried keeping my legs straight and the plate knocked into one of the supports on chinning aparatus and caused my belt to start slipping off my waist. I kept going, but the belt was tangled around my knees by the time I finished. This week I made sure to clutch the plate between my legs and I did make some improvement. But it's hard to tell if it was just 'cause I was better able to concentrate or what. On the last partial-rep I managed to make it so that my upper arms were parallel to the floor, but after about 5s of busting ass to get the last 1/2 rep I realized it wasn't gonna happen.
    B&I Rating:
    Good.

Hammer Strength Isolateral Row
    Warm-up: 90 x 8
    Work-sets: Right: 140 x 5, Left: 145 x 5

Comments:
    I do the warm-up with both arms together, then do one arm at a time for the work-sets. I've been using straps on my work-sets for awhile now and in the past couple weeks dropped them. Grip hasn't been a problem, but for some reason my hands felt kinda greasy/slippery and I couldn't really hold onto the handles well today(They're not knurled or anything.) This made it really difficult to concentrate. Plus this is one exercise where my form is only so-so. My body tends to sway back and forth a bit--and I've tended to stupidly accept this, though it's still far better than when I was using 205lbs per arm. I did end up getting one more rep with each arm, so I guess things didn't work out too badly.
    B&I Rating:
    Okay.

Rack Deadlift
    Warm-up: 135 x 8(mixed-grip)
    Work-sets: 245 x 5(mixed-grip), 325 x 6(w/ straps)

Comments:
    Another exercise where I've pretty much dropped the straps. I alternate mixed grips. In the last few weeks I focused on keeping my arms completely relaxed, as I tend to slightly contract my biceps by nature. Relaxing my arms also has the huge added benefit of causing the bar to be lower on lock-out, and thus it doesn't knock into my nuts on every rep(This is not pleasant. Trust me.) The first work-set was to grip failure and I managed to add 1 rep. The 2nd work-set was with straps, and I added 10lbs and hit the same number of reps as last week(I think my form was solid, but I'm a little suspicious.)
    B&I Rating:
    Okay

Machine Pullover
    Tempo: 313
    Warm-up: 105 x 5
    Work-set: 195 x 4

Comments:
    I was really feeling like my workout was going poorly at this point, and for this exercise and every subsequent exercise was really trying to redeem myself. But alas, the work-set ended up being a repeat of last week's performance--cheating included(I've stupidly been bringing my head off the seat on the last rep or two. Next week this ends.)
    B&I Rating:
    So-so

Seated Incline DB Curls(30 degrees)
    Tempo: 313
    Warm-up: 20's x 5
    Work-set: N/A

Comments:
    Really just a warm-up for the next exercise. I used to do a work-set of these but switched 'em for the isolateral spider-curls. I think I keep the warm-up in partially because while I'm doing these my arms look big and the veins on my arms pop out(Yeah, it's superficial. But I'm a bodybuilder, I'm SUPPOSED to be an egocentric narcissist. Didn't you know that?)
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Isolateral Spider Curls
    Work-set: Right-arm: 40 x 2 + 1 forced rep, Left-arm: 40 x 3

Comments:
    Damn, I really wanted this to improve. I just nudged the weight through the sticking point on the last rep with my right arm. Normally, I don't do forced reps, but man I wanted that rep SOOOO bad. The left arm didn't need any help.
    B&I Rating:
    Okay.

Rear Delt Machine Flyes
    Warm-up: 60 x 6
    Work-set: 97.5 x 6

Comments:
    Same as last week. I think my form was a bit crappier, though.
    B&I Rating:
    So-so.

DB Shrugs
    Warm-up: 45's x 6
    Work-set: n/a

Comments:
    Good form. Nice and slow.
    B&I Rating:
    n/a

Smith Machine Shrugs
    Work-sets: 150 x 5

Comments:
    Another wonderful exercise where the bar tend to knock into my nuts(Oh, joy.) Plus I keep pulling this bullsh*t where I stand on my tip-toes and use my legs a little. Completely unacceptable. I've either gotta lower the weight, or just face the fact I'm only gonna get 2 reps. One more rep than last week...but it's a moot point, 'cause of form issues.
    B&I Rating:
    Crap.

Overall Comments:
    On paper this workout actually seems like it went okay. Actually, it sucked. I just wasn't all there. I never felt zoned in or amped like I normally do.(Just guessing here, but I'd say it was due to my ephedra-free state. Damn, I miss my EC. Ginkgo biloba and DMAE just ain't the same.) It really felt like I was just going through the motions, except for a few brief moments.

DIET

9:00am: 2 eggs, 60g muesli, 1/2 cup milk, 22g whey, 1 multi vit., 1g ester-c, 400IU vit. E(52g carbs/8g fiber, 46g protein, 13.5g fat)

9:45am: 1 serving Trac Creatine(4g arginine, 4g creatine), 250mg DMAE, 400mg Phosphotidyl choline, 200mg ginkgo biloba, 1g L-tyrosine

10:20am(pre-workout): 22g whey, 5g glutamine peptide, 5g BCAA(3g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 1.5g fat)

11:00am(halfway through workout): 50g Ultra Fuel, 250mg ALA(49g carbs/0g fiber, 0g protein, 0g fat)

11:30am(post-workout): 1 serving Biotest Surge, 5g glutamine peptide, 250mg ALA(50g carbs/0g fiber, 25g protein, 1.5g fat)

2:00pm: stir-fried chicken and vegetables(25g carbs/4g fiber, 27g protein, 10g fat)

3:00pm: 1 oz peanuts(4g carbs/3g fiber, 8g protein, 16g fat)

5:00pm: 1 packet tuna(0g carbs, 42g protein, 2g fat)

7:00pm: 1 cup cottage cheese, 1.5 cups mixed vegetables, 1 slice pizza(50g carbs/8g fiber, 42g protein, 18g fat)

9:30pm: 3 ZMA caps

10:00pm: 1/2 packet Micellean MRP, 5 fish oil caps, 40mg GLA(11g carbs/3.5g fiber, 22g protein, 6g fat)

Totals:
    Calories:2564kcal
    Carbs/Fiber:244g/26.5g fiber
    Protein:234g
    Fat:77.5g

Comments:
    I'd like some of the individual meals to be closer to "isocaloric"--just eating tuna for a meal ain't cool--but the total calories, protein/carbs/fat were fine. Still haven't decided whether I should cut out some of the workout-centered nutrition so I've got more calories to play around with later in the day. We'll see what I do Friday.

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    Again, woke up after 6.5 hours and spent the next 1.5 hours trying to fall back asleep and/or being half-asleep. Not good. I really need 8 hours. I don't for the life of me know what's going on.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 01-24-2002 at 08:49 PM.

To all-
    Thanks for the compliments.

Paul Stagg-
    Might just see if Tryska can help me with cardio. First, I've gotta do some reading up on HIIT, though.

Day 5 - 1/24/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    Refeed day. BTW, this is not a cheat day. Actually, in some ways, this is even less fun than sub-maintenance days. Yeah, I get to eat carbs, but I really gotta watch my fat and fructose intake, and that takes just about all the fun out it. Gorging on Krispy Kremes and Twinkies is out of the question--though don't think it doesn't occasionally enter my mind. So I'm reduced to subsisting on Ultra Fuel, MRPs, and crappy, pseudo-junk food--which just ain't that satisfying(Baked Lay's taste like dehydrated wood-chips. I'd go with the Olestra-chips which have even less fat, but anal leakage, no matter how amusing it might sound, is not something I particularly want to experience . Maybe I'm just goofy that way.) I really should cut out some of the crap, e.g. the cupcakes, I eat, but at this point, I don't think it's that much of an issue. As my bodyfat gets lower and lower I will probably have to change this, robbing me of even this small happiness.

EXERCISE

Treadmill:30min at 15 degree incline, 3.5mph

Comments:
    Just as horrible as usual. Except I was really looking forward to downing a couple of low-fat Hostess cupcakes once I finished, so that kinda kept me going.

Overall Comments:
    I don't do the high-volume calf workout on my Thursday cardio day. I think it might compromise my leg workout which takes place tomorrow. I think I'm gonna switch to HIIT for my cardio from now on. I'll see on Sunday.

DIET

7:00am 2 eggs, 1 GNC mult. vit., 1g ester-c, 400IU Vit. E(2g carbs/0g fiber, 12g protein, 9g fat)

10:00am: 1 serving Trac Creatine(4g arginine, 4g creatine), 100mg ginkgo biloba, 250mg DMAE, 400mg phosphotidyl choline, 1g L-tyrosine

10:45am(pre-workout): 22g whey, 5g glutamine peptide, 5g BCAAs(3g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 1.5g fat)

11:15am(post-workout): 50g Ultra Fuel, 250mg ALA, 1g Ester-C, 400IU Vit. E.(49g carbs/0g fiber, 0g protein, 0g fat)

12:00am: 3 Hostess Low-fat cupcakes, 1 Lean Body MRP(114g carbs/3g fiber, 51g protein, 6g fat)

12:00am-2:00pm: 5oz. Baked Lays, 1 Hostess Low-fat cupcake(144g carbs/11g fiber, 12g protein, 9g fat)

3:00pm:100g Ultra Fuel, 250mg Ultra Fuel(98g carbs/0g fiber, 0g protein, 0g fat)

4:00pm:2oz Baked Lays, 1 Lean Body MRP(75g carbs/4g fiber, 49g protein, 4.5g fat)

5:00pm: 100g Ultra Fuel, 250mg ALA(98g carbs/0g fiber, 0g protein, 0g fat)

6:45pm: 6oz spaghetti, 1.5 cups marinara sauce, 25g parmesan cheese, 8oz. milk, 22g whey(174g carbs/15g fiber, 67g protein, 18g fat)

10:30pm: 3oz Baked Lays, 1 Hostess Low-fat cupcake, 1 VPX Micellean MRP(120g carbs/14.5g fiber, 52g protein, 6.5g fat)

Totals:
    Calories: 5054kcal
    Carbs/Fiber: 875g/45.5g
    Protein: 265g
    Fat: 54.5g

Comments:
    Uhh, looks like I went a little overboard with the carbs this time. I really think I should keep the carbs to about 600-700g and total calories to 4000-4500. Otherwise, things look pretty good. The fat's still a little high, but overall not bad.

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    Dammit. Another night of crappy sleep. I went to bed a bit earlier, but couldn't get to sleep, and woke up too early. Probably got about 7.5 hours. I also did Ninjutsu again tonight. There was a fair amount of leg work and practicing falls. Hopefully this won't affect my leg workout tomorrow or cause any lower back soreness/stiffness. Guess we'll see.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 01-24-2002 at 08:46 PM.

Day 6 - 1/25/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    My legs are big. Well, not Tom Platz big, but I actually wouldn't mind if they were a bit smaller(Or rather my upper-body was bigger.) I've taped 'em at about 28" right under my a** cheek(They're probably 26-27" at mid-thigh.) So you'd think I'd be a squatting machine. Pumping out reps with 400lbs; leg pressing 1500lbs. But, nope, I use pretty crappy poundages. My squat would be great--if I was a 15 year old pre-pubescent girl who weighed 100lbs. For me it's pathetic. But I don't really care. Well, maybe I care a little. Their something inherently manly about a big squat. Neophytes to lifting might ask "How much you bench?" but anyone with a significant amount of time lifting under his belt knows the real question is "How much you squat?" My answer is invariably "Not much." To be fair, I've only been free-squatting for the past 6-7 months. I actually started out squatting, but it was on a Smith machine. I did a HIT based full-body, thrice weekly full body blast that usually left me feeling like I was either gonna die or puke my lungs out. Eventually I learned of the evils of the Smith Machine and switched to leg presses. I'd make occasional attempts at squatting but could never find the groove. Even with an unloaded bar I felt like I was gonna tip over. Finally, I had someone help me get the movement down, and I've been doing it for 7-8 months now. It moved up pretty quick. At my best it was around 275lbs. for 4-5 reps, which still sucked, but was good for my gym. I didn't feel like a complete wuss. But my low-back was bothering me and I knew my form was only so-so--despite that the guy that taught me to squat said it was fine--and probably the cause--along with too heavy poundages and so-so form in the rack and stiff-legged deadlifts. So I swallowed what little pride I had and started doing 135 again, using a 212 cadence which made things MUCH, MUCH more difficult. If you asked the average person how what kind of tempo they use they'd probably say 212. But get out a watch and you'd see it was probably more like 0.5-0-0.5--and that would be the good ones. (Today I noticed even I, who was being so conscientious about tempo and actually counting, was really closer to using a 111 tempo than a 212. God damn.) But it's the same with every other exercise. Most people have the form of a crack-addled epileptic. Sometimes I have the urge to run up to people in my gym and stick a spoon in their mouth to keep 'em from biting their tongue off. Anyways, what the point of all this? I'm not sure there is one. Just that you can pile on a hell of a lot of weight, use crappy form and think you're a bad-ass(I'll be in the corner laughing BTW.) or swallow you're pride, use the weight of which you're actually capable of using, and gain immense dividends. But I'm still weak. C'est la vie.

EXERCISE
    Note:
    Tempos are in eccentric-static-concentric order. So 301 means a 1s positive, no contracted hold, and a 3s negative

Squats
    Warm-up: bar x 10, 135 x 6
    Work-set: 205 x 4

Comments:
    I do these in a power-rack and go 4-5 inches below parallel. If I go down much further, my pelvis sort of tilts under my upper body, which puts way too much stress on my lower-back. Anyways, this week and last I've noticed myself pulling some of the same b.s. that prompted me to lower my poundages a number of months ago. I call it "power-lifting" form. Basically, I do a partial hyperextension, before straightening my legs. Again, I think this puts too much pressure on the low back. It wasn't that pronounced and only occured on the last rep, but I'm gonna watch this. Surest sign that I did something wrong, is that my lower-back will hurt. Anyways, same reps as last week, slightly better form. Overall, not bad. Ended as usual with me crashing on the power-rack supports.
    B&I Rating:
    Okay.

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Warm-up: bar x 8
    Work-set: 245 x 4

Comments:
    SLDL's right after squats are difficult. I go from several inches below the knees to lockout, and keep my legs fairly straight, although they do move a bit. I've moved up poundages a fair bit since I began dieting, and although I'm fairly certain my form is still solid, I'm worried I might be rounding my back slightly. I'll have to get someone to watch me and tell me. Ten more lbs. and two less reps than last week. I don't go to absolute failure as I don't want to endanger my lower-back here.
    B&I Rating:
    Okay.

Leg Press
    Warm-up: 215 x 10
    Work-set: 420 x 11

Comments:
    I actually have to stick a 25lb plate over the pin 'cause this is a selectorized-stack machine and only goes up to 395lbs. I place my feet quite high--toes off the end of the platform--and feel this predominately in my glutes and hamstring, although quads are still quite heavily involved. Usually, the first 8-9 reps feel easy, but this week it already felt heavy after 2 reps. Dieting...ugghh. Still I pushed very hard and ended up repeating last-weeks performance, though it was very difficult.
    B&I Rating:
    Good.

Lying Leg Curl
    Tempo: 303
    Warm-up: 60 x 5
    Work-set: 80 x 5

Comments:
    Recently, I started flexing my toes *away* from my body because of a vague recollection that Charles Poliquin(A man who I think is great 50% of the time and full of **** the other 50%) said something about this. I could well be misremembering, but I did have to reduce my poundages when I started doing this, so it's probably right. Still not sure if I like it. I go one rep more that last week, but one foot started flexing toward me--basically, of it's own accord--on the last rep, which kinda means I cheated. But I still counted it.
    B&I Rating:
    Good.

Hammer Strength Leg Extension
    Tempo: 5-1-10
    Warm-up: none
    Work-set: 115 x 3

Comments:
    This is the only exercise where I still use a SuperSlow cadence. I know plenty of people who think leg extensions are a complete waste of time and dangerous to the ACL, but I really like the Hammer Strength machine(I don't get the knee pain that occurs when I do this on other machines, where I've used as much as 300lbs.) In some ways, this is more intense than the leg-pressing. By the last rep my body is usually shaking uncontrollably, my legs are on fire, and when I try to get off the machine my legs sort of collapse under me. I didn't push nearly as hard as I normally do. I actually used a stop-watch to time my reps this week(I used to do this with all my exercises.) and it threw off my concentration a bit. Same reps as last week, but the TUL was probably a good bit longer(The margin of error when counting out 10s in your head is pretty big. It probably ends up being more like 6-7seconds.) so it was almost certainly an improvement.
    B&I Rating:
    Okay.

Calf-Raises(Performed on Leg Press)
    Warm-up: 87.5 x 10
    Work-set: 237.5 x 4

Comments:
    Calf-exercises are the only place where I'd say my form was sub-par. I have bad feet that tend to cramp up pretty severely with even light weight, and while I can push through it, it is distracting. Anyways, the ended up being the same number of reps as last week, but with slightly improved form.
    B&I Rating:
    Okay.

Seated Calf-Raise
    Work-set: 145 x 3

Comments:
    Since these uninvolve the gastroc, and the soleus gets plenty of work from regular calf-raises, I'd say these are pretty worthless. But I only do a set anyway. Same reps as last week.
    B&I Rating:
    Okay.

Weighted Crunch
    Warm-up: 45 x 8
    Work-set: 90 x 4

Comments:
    I do this on plate-loaded contraption called the "Power Cruch Machine." They're a bit more difficult that just putting a DB on your chest and doing regular crunches. One rep less than last week, although I really busted my butt here.
    B&I Rating:
    Okay.

Overall Comments:
    Not too bad of a workout. Most exercises stayed about the same as last week which is all I really should expect while dieting, and a couple even improved. Again, I just remember, this is the 1st time I've done legs without EC so actually this is pretty damn good. Have to watch my form on the Squats and SLDLs though.

DIET

9:30am: 2 eggs, 30g muesli, 1/2 cup milk, 22g whey, 1 multi vit., 1g ester-c, 400IU vit. E, 250mg ALA(29g carbs/4g fiber, 42g protein, 10.5g fat)

10:10am: 1 serving Trac Creatine(4g arginine, 4g creatine), 250mg DMAE, 400mg Phosphotidyl choline, 200mg ginkgo biloba, 1g L-tyrosine

10:40am(pre-workout): 22g whey, 5g glutamine peptide, 5g BCAA(3g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 1.5g fat)

10:50am-11:50am(throughout workout): 25g Ultra Fuel(24g carbs/0g fiber, 0g protein, 0g fat)

12:00am(post-workout): 1 serving Biotest Surge, 5g glutamine peptide, 250mg ALA(50g carbs/0g fiber, 25g protein, 1.5g fat)

1:30pm: 1/2 ham and cheese deli sandwhich(30g carbs/2g fiber, 15g protein, 9g fat)

3:00pm: 1 oz peanuts, VPX Micellean MRP(26g carbs/10.5g fiber, 52g protein, 18g fat)

5:30pm: 1/2 ham and cheese deli sandwhich, 22g whey(33g carbs/2g fiber, 37g protein, 10.5g fat)

8:30pm: 1 cup cottage cheese, 30g muesli, 1/2 cup milk, 1oz peanuts(38g carbs/7g fiber, 44g protein, 28g fat)

10:00pm 1 cup milk(12g carbs/0g fiber, 8g protein, 0g fat)

Totals:
    Calories: 2689kcal
    Carbs/Fiber:245g/25g
    Protein:245g
    Fat:81g

Comments:
    Only ate half as much muesli at breakfast and used 1 scoop(instead of 2) of Ultra Fuel, so I could eat more carbs later in the day, but I still goofed up. I'm only having a glass of milk as my pre-bed meal(probably stupid) cause otherwise I'm gonna have eaten too many calories. I didn't even feel like I was eating much today(That's the bad thing about refeeds. The day after I'm starving.) Also, I didn't have a chance to prepare my meals in advance last night so that f*cked things up. And tomorrow I've gotta travel--almost certainly gonna wreak havoc with things.

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    Finally got a good 9hrs or so of sleep last night. Suspecting that the ZMA I've been taking might be the problem I skipped it last night. I ended up waking up a couple more times during the night, but did sleep awhile longer. I'll go without it for a while, then add it back in to confirm my suspicions.

Did ninjutsu last night for a couple hours again. Quite a bit of jumping, crouching, etc. which was fairly tiring for my legs. Also got a bit banged up. My shins, knees, and lower-back were pretty tender this morning. Again, I'll have to see how this affects my training long-term. Don't think it had too much of an impact today, though.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 01-27-2002 at 07:54 AM.

You mentioned you had good hypertrophy results from super slow. What are the basics because I don't wanna buy the articles? IS there anything to know other than a tempo of 5-0-10?

Why is the eccentric so short? I thought that is where growth is stimulated and therefore it would be better to do a 10-0-5 tempo?

Thanks.

Originally posted by aeckhardt
    You mentioned you had good hypertrophy results from super slow. What are the basics because I don't wanna buy the articles? IS there anything to know other than a tempo of 5-0-10?

Why is the eccentric so short? I thought that is where growth is stimulated and therefore it would be better to do a 10-0-5 tempo?

Thanks.
    Funny, I don't think I've mentioned anything about SuperSlow here--other than in reference to cardio. But anyway...

Actually, the prescriptions for a SuperSlow(tm) routine are fairly rigid. I don't know if I've ever done a "real" SuperSlow workout. I was introduced to it 2nd hand by a book by Ellington Darden(Darden was one of the guys who worked with Arthur Jones at Nautilus and is now, sadly, hawking BowFlex.) It was a book called "Bigger Muscles in 42 Days."(I can post these routines if you'd like to take a look.)

The eccentric is short because the friction typically present in most machines actually makes a slower negative easier(SuperSlow is pretty much machine only.) If you're using very high quality machines that use ball-bearings and have little friction, then the cadence actually is 10-10. I think this is covered fairly in depth at:

http://www.superslow.com

Or check at:
    http://www.cyberpump.com/features/intensity
    for writings by one of the more vocal SuperSlow proponents, Andrew Baye.

There are plenty of people whom I respect who think Ken Hutchins if full of sh*t and that while SuperSlow may be good for 80 year old women it's worthless for anyone else. I personally think any system that uses progress overload will work. SuperSlow is very painful though. But I did get some of my best size gains the 1st time I used it(Subsequent iterations didn't produce nearly as much hypertrophy.)

Hope this helps.

Thanks. That helped. Could you post the routine?

Thanks. That helped. Could you post the routine?
    There are actually 3 routines through which the book progresses. I'll post the 1st one which is used for the 1st two weeks. Bizarrely, it ends up being pretty high-volume(FYI: Darden is a HIT guy.) He says it's to gradually wean bodybuilder off high-volume. Whatever.

BTW, anyone wanting to flame me for this routine needn't bother. I'm just transcribing what's in the book. No judgement on my part(It did work for me--though I was eating a HUGE amount of food(I wasn't using any supplements, though.)

Dardens recommendations:
    I set of each exercise. 4-8 reps(I actually think 3-5 is a better range.) No warmups. On the final rep keep pushing and breathing. Don't give up so long as the weight keeps moving--no matter how slow it might be. Only stop after you've been pushing without moving the weight for a good 10-15s. Keep your face entirely relaxed, i.e. no grimacing, grunting etc. Breath properly. Try to use a watch/clock to actually time yourself on cadences.

You're gonna have to use pretty light freakin' weights. Ditch any ego.

Exercises grouped within lines should be performed with minimal rest. ---------- indicates a brief(1min or so) rest period.

Monday(Legs, abs, lower back)
    ---------------------
    Leg Curl
    Leg Extension
    Leg Press
    -----------------
    Leg Extension
    Leg Curl
    Barbell Squat
    ----------------
    Donkey Calf Raise
    Seated Calf Raise
    ------------------
    Hangin Leg Raise
    Trunk Curl
    --------------------
    Back Raise
    Stiff-legged Deadlift

Tuesday(Shoulder, Upper Back, Chest)
    -----------------------------
    Lateral Raise
    Overhead Barbell Press
    -----------------------
    Bent-over Raise with DBs
    Behind the neck Press
    -----------------------
    Bent-armed Barbell Pullover
    Lat pulldown to chest
    Bent-over barbell row
    ------------------------
    Bench Press
    Dumbell Fly
    Bench Press to neck

Wednesday(Arms, Neck)
    Barbell Curl
    Dumbell Curl
    Negative Chin
    -------------------
    Tricep Extension with one DB
    Tricep Pressdown
    Negative Dip
    --------------------
    Barbell Wrist Curl
    Reverse Barbell Wrist Curl
    Reverse Barbell Curl
    ----------------------
    4-way Neck Machine
    Barbell Shrug
    Reverse Shoulder Shrug

Thurs: same as Monday
    Friday: same as Tuesday
    Saturday: same as Wednesday
    Sunday: off
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 01-26-2002 at 05:57 AM.

That brings up a question. What do you think of programs like these or others that work a bodypart twice a week.

Would they work as long as it is low intensity? Or would once a week work the best? Of course this depends on the trainee, but what do you think?

That brings up a question. What do you think of programs like these or others that work a bodypart twice a week.
    If I were to generalize I'd say training a bodypart more than twice every 5 days or so is pushing it, but it really depends on the individual and the intensity. I also think a day off between each training session is generally a good idea. If you look at my current routine you'll get a pretty good idea of what I think is ideal for *me*--at least in my experience thus far. The first two years of training I pretty much stuck to full body workouts 2-3 times a week and did okay, but now feel giving myself a week between workouts and splitting up bodyparts is better--in my case. I did have great success with this routine however(20lbs in 42days--although there was quite a bit of fat--3 inches to my chest, .75 inches to each arm, 1inch to my legs, etc), which I did for the 1st time about a year into serious training. It was during summer vacation from school when eating, lifting, and sleeping were the focus of my life It's certainly quite high-volume, not set wise, but in terms of time and intensity. I'd say, in general, it's best to keep total training to 3-4 hours per week--not including cardio, which is another debate entirely. I've tried super-low volume--two 30 minutes sessions a week--without much success, but I still plan on trying something like Heavy Duty--even lower volume--at some point and when I'm done dieting, I'm gonna give GVT a try. I'm of the opinion that one should experiment, and see what works for YOU.

Would they work as long as it is low intensity?
    This is MOST CERTAINLY not a low intensity routine. The leg day should end with you hunched over a toilet waiting to puke(I never did, but did do the ol' regurgitation into the mouth bit on the way out of the gym a couple of times.) The other days could also very well have this effect(It depends on if you're really pushing yourself.) I had a guy who had done SEAL training(I hired him to supervise my workouts.) tell me that even if I put on 20lbs of muscle it wouldn't be worth the pain I was putting myself through, and that he would never do it. So, it is rough. I don't generally believe in low-intensity, high-volume stuff--though as I said I'm gonna give GVT a try soon.

Or would once a week work the best? Of course this depends on the trainee, but what do you think?