The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell, why not?

there is medication you can take for your disorder

Originally posted by Fart Barker
    there is medication you can take for your disorder
    Cocaine?

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Originally posted by Fart Barker
    Thanks, but I'll stick with ephedrine--my anti-drug(Somebody, please tell the DEA this, so I can get some epedrine HCL shipped to me in Michigan without all the damn guaifenesin)

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

I like that one...ephedrine MY anti-drug.
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Nice, clear journal? What you you been reading? Anyways, if you want to earn membership to the "B&I Anal-rententive Training Club of Cosmetic Hypertrophy"(BIATCCH) you must weigh all food-stuffs to within 1/10 of a gram. A one-time fee of $50 is also required(I accept cash and credit--sorry, no CODs.) Also, using mismatched clips or plates on an olympic bar is grounds for being disbarred from the organization. Training for anything other than appearance is also strongly discouraged.
    lol! BIATCCH

Sorry this is a useless post, but hey, so was fart's
    Oh but I am going to get some of this underlining-bold type action in my journal.
    Last edited by Jane; 03-11-2002 at 01:24 PM.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Originally posted by Jane

lol! BIATCCH

Sorry this is a useless post, but hey, so was fart's
    Hey, as long as it keeps my journal from being relegated to page 2 status, it's cool with me.

Day 50 - 3/11/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    Weighed myself last night and was up 2lbs, which is really weird considering I haven't been eating all that much. I think it was just a normal weight fluctuation, but I'm gonna be watching carefully so as to make sure I don't gain too much weight this week.

EXERCISE
    My 1st real day off in about 5 months. Not bad actually. I thought I'd be going insane from not being at the gym, but I really didn't mind much.

DIET
    Not too horrible. Fairly similar to my diet except a bit more of everything.

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    Have I mentioned my lower back is f*cked?

Hi B&I new to the boards. browsing thro' your journal past week and some great info here. you attention to detail is great and helped me learn a lot just reading through your posts. Also bumping up your journal from page2 to page1 :-) as I see you dont like to be in the second page.Good luck..
    Last edited by thalapathi; 03-12-2002 at 02:00 PM.

Originally posted by thalapathi
    Hi B&I new to the boards. browsing thro' your journal past week and some great info here. you attention to detail is great and helped me learn a lot just reading through your posts. Also bumping up your journal from page2 to page1 :-) as I see you dont like to be in the second page.Good luck..
    Happy to hear that you got something out of it.

Ps. Thanks for bumping me back to page #1.

Day 51 - 3/12/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    Bryan Haycock has introduced his own supplement line, along with posting the "official" website of HST. Seems like overpriced casein and whey to me, although he seems like a cool guy and I thought about buying some(I ordered a bunch of stuff through the mail today. MRPs mostly.) But I think there are better and less expensive options.(Plus casein as a post-workout drink seems pretty stupid to me. Must be a reason Haycock is using it, but I just don't see it.) I posted a question about this on the think-muscle forum. I'll be interested to see if he addresses my questions.

Anyways, the site is at:
    www.hypertrophy-specific.com

EXERCISE
    Just sat on my fat, lazy a**.

DIET
    So-so.

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    Really slept soundly. Nice; usually I wake up a bunch of times during the nigh.

Re: Day 51 - 3/12/02

"Plus casein as a post-workout drink seems pretty stupid to me. Must be a reason Haycock is using it, but I just don't see it."

Seems stupid to me as well. Defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Then again, maybe its the same type of idea where people have oats postworkout despite the slow digestion time.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Day 52 - 3/13/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    It's my birthday. Pfft. I feel old.

Been having a bit of a frustrating exchange with Haycock over his Primer/Driver protein product. Here's the exchange:

Date: 03/12/02 12:25 PM
    Author: B&I (no email) (no profile)
    Subject: Protein Types

The new website has the nutrition labels for the primer/driver but not ingredient lists. Generally, I use the overly complicated formulae of 22g whey/5g glutamine peptide/5g BCAAs prior to lifting, 50g maltodextrin 30min into my workout, and a combo of 50g dextrose/25g hydrolyzed whey/5g glutamine peptide/5g BCAAs post-workout. I assume the Primer is some form of whey protein and the driver is some form of caseinate. One, wouldn't a fast acting protein like whey hydrosylate, or even just whey concentrate, still be better post-workout?(With a regular meal about an hour later for a more prolonged release of aminos.) It seems like using casein post-workout would be less than ideal. Further, how do your products differ from just buying a tub of whey and a tub of casein? They are quite expensive, and while I will be happy to purchase them if convinced they are in some way superior to what I currently use, I'm not going to spend $60 on 4lbs of whey and casein.

Thank you for your response.

Date: 03/12/02 06:59 PM
    Edited: 03/12/02 07:08 PM
    Author: Bryan Haycock
    Subject: RE: Protein Types

Hi B&I,

The Primer is whey blend (hydrolysate, isolate, concentrate). The Driver is a casein/egg blend with Omega-3s. Both Primer and Driver have inulin in them for fiber.

All I can really say about choosing whether to buy HSN products or not is that, you can buy cheaper proteins, but you can't buy a higher quality protein. They are what you buy when you don't want to worry about whether you got the good stuff or not. Sometimes it doesn't matter that much and anything will do. I do this myself sometimes and have bought who knows what for pennies. But I always knew what I was buying...cheap. And sometimes thats ok. Then again, sometimes its not. Sometimes you want the best. That's all.

I had the choice to make a cheap protein, or a very high quality protein. I tried to do both but I soon realized that I couldn't at this early stage.

I'm not saying anyone "has" to buy HSN products. Sure, I would like them to because I worked very hard on them and made them fist for myself and my peers in the industry who didn't own a supplement company but wanted something they could depend on. I then felt it would be a good idea (after polling ThinkMuscle readers) if I made it available to everybody.

I think if you were to buy a comparable product Dorian Yates Approved would be the closest

Date: 03/12/02 07:58 PM
    Subject: RE: RE: Protein Types

I appreciate that you are making a quality product. I wasn't really wanking about the price. I am just confused as to why you believe casein is a good post-workout choice. It seems to me that some form of hydrosylate(a very fast acting protein) would be much better, and then, as I said, one would eat a real meal(or use casein) an hour or so later for sustained amino-acid release

Date: 03/12/02 08:46 PM
    Author:Bryan Haycock

Oh, sorry about missing the point.

I chose the proteins for their classification as fast and/or slow as well as their unique effects on nitrogen retention in different parts of the body. It can be understood using a compartmental model of nitrogen deposition that is only recently developing. This is a very good paper on the subject.

Fouillet H, Mariotti F, Gaudichon C, Bos C, Tome D. Peripheral and splanchnic metabolism of dietary nitrogen are differently affected by the protein source in humans as assessed by compartmental modeling. J Nutr. 2002 Jan;132(1):125-33.

The primer is designed to enter the blood stream quickly so it peaks when blood flow to muscles is high. You can take it 15 minutes or so before, or even drink have right before and sip the rest during the workout. The Driver is designed to enter the blood stream as the Primer is wearing off to provide several hours of elevated amino acid levels. An 8 ounce steak would also be a good choice for right after, but that isn't always possible.

Date: 03/13/02 12:28 AM

Okay, in the fear of beating this subject to death...

I'm not, apparently, doing a very good job of making myself clear. Okay, I understand one wants to elevate blood levels of aminos for a prolonged period to counter any possible catabolism--hence the Driver(casein.) And I also understand that even whey takes around an hour to be digested(Hence using the primer immediately prior to beginning one's workout) But even if one has used the Primer, wouldn't a fast protein still be the preferable given the unique physiological situation present post-workout, and then use a more prolonged protein once this 2nd amino 'spike' starts to ebb(An hour later.) So wouldn't it be better to use the Primer prior to working out, the Primer immediately upon completing one's workout, and then the Driver about an hour later after that. Or does this confer no advantage over simply using the Primer before and the Driver after. If so, why? Am I making any sense here?

Date: 03/13/02 12:51 AM
    Edited: 03/13/02 12:55 AM
    Author: Bryan Haycock

The reason to take the Primer "before" is in order to take advantage of singificantly increased blood flow to the muscle. This has the effect of infusing the muscle with higher levels of aminos than when ti is taken after training. This is the whole point of taking in protein before training...enhanced blood flow and delievery of amino acids to the muscle.

It doesn't take an hour for whey to digest...it only "lasts" in the "blood stream" for a little over an hour. It begins entering the blood stream in as little as 10-15 minutes. Hydrolysates even sooner.

The Driver (casein/egg based) is then taken to prevent blood levels of amino acids from dropping back to baseline (and keeping you anabolic) until your next meal.

Please understand that casein is not just "anticatabolic". The studies on fast and slow proteins demonstrated that blood "levels" of amino acids determined whether a the effect was anabolic or anticatabolic. If you take a casein and can raise blood amino acid levels as high as with a whey, you will get the same anabolic affect. If you take whey every 30 minutes or so you get the same anticatabolic effect as they saw with a single dose of casein.

So, as you offered, one could take the fast protein first (before exercise to enhance amino acid delivery and protein synthesis), to get blood amino acid levels high quickly, then take a slow protein (Driver) to "keep" blood levels high until your next meal.

If you wait until after your workout to take your fast protein you miss out on a certain amount of anabolism that you could have experienced if you took it before (blood flow issue).

did I get closer to addressing the question that time?...oh yeah baby!
    Of course, I must reiterate, I think it's extremely cool he addresses such questions personally, but damn I give up on trying to get him to actually answer my question. Perhaps, it's so incredibly stupid that it just doesn't make sense to him. But to me, it's still a valid concern. Maybe I'll try again, but I don't think so. BTW, I'm not sure I buy his 'you never know what you might be getting with cheap protein' line as whey and casein are pretty cheap. I doubt his 'Primer' is superior to say regular old Optimum 100% whey and it's 2-3 times as expensive. I still think using a hydrolysate would be better post-workout, although the difference is probably pretty minimal. I'll have to do some digging. I might buy some of his stuff just to show support for Haycock, though, as he seems like an honest guy who really cares about what he puts his name on. We'll see.

EXERCISE
    nope.

DIET
    Pretty crappy.

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    8 hours of sleep.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 05-04-2002 at 09:44 PM.

Happy birthday dude!

btw, i do still read this and i get some cool questions, but by the time i've read the entire post i've forgotten them haha...

Keep it up.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
    Happy birthday dude!

btw, i do still read this and i get some cool questions, but by the time i've read the entire post i've forgotten them haha...

Keep it up.
    Thanks.

You ever check out the games?

Will do now.

**I can't get them working. Well, i can;t get ravenwind working.
    Last edited by The_Chicken_Daddy; 03-13-2002 at 04:18 PM.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Something interesting from MFW:

Subject: Re: the lyle mcdonald diet summary
    Newsgroups: misc.fitness.weights
    View: Complete Thread (25 articles) | Original Format
    Date: 2002-03-11 13:49:41 PST

Elijah Phineas wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > The true idea of a setpoint has more to do with seeing major adaptive
    > > changes in neurochemistry when you try to go below a certain level.
    > >
    > > So, if we were able to measure your brain chemistry, while you were
    > > dieting, we might not see any changes between say 20 and 32% bodyfat
    > > (I'm making nubmers up here). Depending on activity/food, you might
    > > settle at somewhere in that range.
    > >
    > > But we might see a major change in neurochemistry (increases in
    > > neuropeptide Y, drop in metabolic rate) if you tried to go below 20%
    > > (again, arbitrary number). 20% would be a more accurate definition of
    > > your 'setpoint' in this context (i.e. it is that point below which your
    > > brain thinks you're starving, and adapts accordingly).
    > >
    > > You might settle at some point higher than that. You could conceivably
    > > reach a settling point below that but it would reuire the
    > > afforementioned constant attention to diet and activity.
    > >
    > > Lyle
    >
    > So that someone starting at 32%, would have a harder time at staying
    > at 20% after he got there than someone who started at 22% - he would
    > need to intake less calories, more refeeds on a CKD, etc?? So its not
    > enough to know what a persons current BF% is but also to know where he
    > is coming from?

Not really.

The mistkae you're making is assuming that settling point is necessarily
    related to setpoint. I was thinking about this more this morning (after
    my previous post) and part of hte problem is taht I didn't do a very
    good job of defining setpoint in this context.

In the context of what we're talking about, a true setpoint is defined
    as some weight/fat% that the body will defend. By defend, I mean it
    will adapt metabolic rate, &c up and down in response to over and
    underfeeding respectively. Again, note that in humans, setpoint seems
    to defend against underfeeding more than overfeeding. This isn't always
    the case. The habitually lean tend to defend against overfeeding very
    well. IN response to high calories, they're spontaneous activity goes
    up (to burn off calories), hunger shuts down. These are the folks who
    complain about not being able to gain weight. Whenever they try to
    overeat, their brain sends powerful 'knock it off with the eating'
    signal. This only seems to really occur in very lean folks. In
    everybody else, the 'don't eat' signals don't get sent very well
    (probably having to do with genetic differences in leptin sensitivity).

So going over the setpoint isn't as tough as going below it in general.

That really has little relationship with a settling point. Well, as
    long as that settling point is above the setpoint (this was another
    place I was a bit vague/non detailed in my original response ; it was
    early and I was rushing, I should have waited until later).

So say we have two people, with a setpoint (say we can magic it out of
    thin air) of 20% bodyfat. That is, below 20% bodyfat, their bodies
    think 'dude, we're starving, adapt to slow it down'. Above that, no worries.

Say one is sedentary, eats a lot of junk food. He may settle at 32% bodyfat.
    The second one is more active, better eater, but not compulsive. Say he
    settles at 22%.

You really shouldn't see any difference in anything (metabolically
    speaking or otherwise) in either of them until they try to go below
    their setpoint (in this case set at 20% bodyfat).

So, outside of the psychological anxiety for the first guy to change his
    eating and activity patterns, maintaining a settling point of 22% for
    him wouldn't be any harder (in terms of metabolic rate slowing down,
    that sort of thing) than the guy who was at 22%. In both cases, they're
    above their setpoint and they're bodies don't perceive that they are starving.

As soon as EITHER of them tried to go below 20%, their body would start
    to defend the setpoint (20%) and adapt accordingly. Regardless of where
    they started. It has to do with breaking the threshold of the setpoint.

Of course, a lot of this is sort of theoretical/meaningless. Without
    some good way of truly measuring setpoint, it kind of doesn't matter in
    the real world. You pretty much make the changes you're willing to make
    and let the cards fall where they may. If your setpoint is high, and
    you want to be lean, you're screwed because it doesn't look like you can
    bring setpoint down in any meaningful time frame (if at all). To
    maintain leanness below your setpoint will simply mean a lifelong battle
    of willpower against what your body is telling you to do 'Eat you fool!'.

What we need is a nice non-invasive way of determining when the body is
    adapting. Morning body temp is a rough proxy, drastic increases in
    hunger (as opposed to appetite) would be another as it would tend to
    indicate changes in neurochemistry associated with the body defending a
    setpoint. Blood work to measure thyroid or leptin would be more invasive
    but give a better picture. Brain biopsy (to note actual changes in
    neurchemistry) would be the most accurate (this is what they do in the
    rats). They're might be saliva or urine tests that would give us a
    rough indicator of brain neurochem, but I don't know for sure. That
    would be better than nothing.

I mean a little more accurate than 'Dood, I'm dieting and nothing is changing'.

Lyle
    I think I should be financially remunerated for being used as the example in this post.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 03-13-2002 at 04:19 PM.

Will do now.

**I can't get them working. Well, i can;t get ravenwind working.
    That's odd. If anything, MANNUX is the one that shouldn't be working.

You got directX 7 or higher installed? It's required for Ravenwind.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Age is just a number

I can't open them from winzip.

Am i supposed to extract every file into a separate folder and run the .exe file?

I can't open them from winzip.

Am i supposed to extract every file into a separate folder and run the .exe file?
    No, just create a separate folder for each and unzip the files to them. Mannux might create it's own folder, I'm not sure, but Ravenwind definitely doesn't so make sure you do this.

Mannux uses a batch file I believe(I didn't really do any of the programming on that one, just the art, so I'm kinda clueless.) It's Dos4gw-based so depending on if you version of Windows has Dos-compatabilty(2000 doesn't) it might or might not run.

Originally posted by Jane
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Age is just a number
    HA. Easy for you to say--you're young(Well, so am I technically, but I don't feel that way. Nearly a quarter of a century. Bah.)

Originally posted by Blood&Iron

HA. Easy for you to say--you're young(Well, so am I technically, but I don't feel that way. Nearly a quarter of a century. Bah.)
    Actually I've spent most of my life feeling too old . I think I might as well just give it up and accept that I'm always going to. If I can do this it ought to save a lot of trouble.

I suggest you do too.

then again, I haven't seen myself with wrinkles yet

Oh my god.

That game is truely awful man haha. Interesting concept that i have to kill monks though. Nothing slightly blasphemous about that then...

And the dude's gyno is unreal!

Oh my god.

That game is truely awful man haha. Interesting concept that i have to kill monks though. Nothing slightly blasphemous about that then...

And the dude's gyno is unreal!
    Dude that's kinda harsh.

Try learning Direct-X, do the art, and come up with a game in 3 weeks.

Sheesh.

Oh, and my man does not have gyno(He is wearing a dress, though. Viking clothes are hard to come by for the character animation program I used, so I had to improvise.)