The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell, why not?

Re: Re: Day 57 - 3/18/02

Originally posted by Jane

I should hope so. Your work set is the same as mine
    Yes, but you do 8 reps and I do 15. Quite a difference. Also, not sure about your tempo. But as I've said many a time, I'm weak. And, as I said, it was very easy.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

I know, I'm glad it was. I'm not calling you weak by any means. But you're moving it up next time right?
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Originally posted by Jane
    I know, I'm glad it was. I'm not calling you weak by any means.
    Go ahead. I am. I don't care. I no longer care much about strength anyway; I gave that up some time ago.

But you're moving it up next time right?
    That's the whole point of HST. That's what those '15RM' things below the work set of each exercise are. I work up to those--and hopefully surpass them--over the course of the next 2 weeks. So next time I'll do 25's x 15, then 30's x 15, 35's x 15, 40s x 15(My previous 15RM), and hopefully 45's x 15(Depends on how the previous session goes.) at the end of next week.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Aah. I see. Sorry I didn't quite understand the planning of your program. Sounds like a solid plan to me.
    And regardless of whether you care or not, I still wasn't calling you weak, mmkay?
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Blood&Iron-
    Damn light a*s workout bro. I guess thats the point of HST huh? Looking good though keep it up. Damn dude youre taking a lot of ephedrine and ephedrine HCL..

Originally posted by MonStar1023
    Damn dude youre taking a lot of ephedrine and ephedrine HCL..

No, not really. If you notice I just split the dosages in half(At every time other than pre-workout, I take only 12.5mg at a time.) and take it twice as often, so it's still only 75mg or so per day.

Day 58 - 3/19/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    Nope.

EXERCISE
    30min on treadmill at 15 degree incline, at about 3.3mph

Overall Comments:
    Nothing really to say. Couple of cute girls at the gym today(Even got to talk to one.) That made trudging along on the stupid treadmill moderately tolerable.

DIET

8:30am: 3 eggs, 22g whey, 1 multi vit., 1g ester-c, 400IU vit. E, 250mg ALA(6g carbs/0g fiber, 40g protein, 15g fat)

11:00am: 1 serving Trac Creatine(4g arginine, 4g creatine), 1 VasoPro(25mg ephedrine HCL, 200mg guaifenesin)

11:30am(pre-workout): 22g whey, 5g glutamine peptide(3g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 1.5g fat)

12:10pm: 50g Ultra Fuel, 250mg ALA, 400IU vitamin E, 1g ester-C(49g carbs/0g fiber, 0g protein, 0g fat)

12:45pm: 12 squirts Lipoderm-Y(200mg yohimbine)

1:30pm: 1/2 ham and cheese deli sandwich, 1/2 Lean Body MRP, 1 meat by-product snack(32g carbs/3g fiber, 42g protein, 20g fat)

2:30pm: 1/2 tablet VasoPro(12.5mg ephedrine HCL, 100mg guaifenesin)

4:30pm: 1/2 ham and cheese deli sandwich, 1/2 Lean Body MRP, 1 meat by-product snack(32g carbs/3g fiber, 42g protein, 20g fat)

5:30pm-6:30pm: 1 VPX Micellean MRP(22g carbs/7.5g fiber, 45g protein, 2g fat)

7:30pm: 1 can sliced peaches, .5 oz pecans(42g carbs/3g fiber, 3g protein, 10g fat)

10:15pm: 3 ZMA Caps

10:30pm: 1 cup cottage cheese, 1.5cups mixed vegetables, 6 fish oil caps, 40mg GLA(32g carbs/4g fiber, 28g protein, 15g fat)

Totals:
    Calories: 2511kcal
    Carbs/Fiber: 218g/20.5g
    Protein: 222g
    Fat: 83.5g

Comments:
    A bit low in fiber, and I'm still not sure if I want my calories this high or not...but overall fairly decent.

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    8 hours of sleep. F*ck. Also, slightly aggravated the injury to my upper back/rib during at the ninjutsu sesssion I attended last night. It's never gonna heal if I keep doing stupid sh*t like that(Although, it really isn't a problem while lifting, thank god.)

Have you noticed a difference by splitting up the ephedrine dosages that way? Sounds interesting....
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

Originally posted by Marcel
    Have you noticed a difference by splitting up the ephedrine dosages that way? Sounds interesting....
    Only been doing it a short while and I switched to ephedrine sulfate(and now HCL) at the same time, so that's a bit of a confounding variable.

This is the article that prompted me to split up my dosages:
    http://musclemonthly.com/articles/00...wz-it-work.htm

Day 58 - 3/20/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    If you're an observant person, and you're unlucky enough to find yourself reading my journal day after day, you might have noticed I end every workout with a serving of Biotest's Surge. Now, honestly, Biotest is a horrible company. It pains me to no end knowing that my money goes to TC Luoma and Tim Patterson. Frankly, they should be hanged in public by their testicles for the their evil supplement-whoring(Although, in Luoma's defense he IS probably the best writer of anyone in the fitness industry--stylistically speaking, anyway.) But I digress. Anyways, I L-O-V-E Surge. Now, the 15microseconds of digestion times hydrolyzed whey, which is Surge's main selling point, saves over regular ol' el-cheapo whey, probably does jack-sh*t for recovery but, frankly it almost doesn't matter. It tastes that damn good. But...I've been eyeing the Protein Factory's Recovery Formula for some time as it's basically the same stuff(Actually, it's a bit better of a formulation.) and it's half the price. I've been a bit wary cuz some people have remarked it tastes, well, like puke. Despite my misgivings, though, I finally ordered some. Four pounds of the stuff. It arrived today. It certainly smelled quite puke-y. But I mixed a little up and hoped for the best. All I have to say is: bleech. It's not gonna win any American Tasting Gold Medals, that's for damn sure. Definitely has a bit of a pond-scum flavor. It's not intolerable, mind you. But I won't look forward to drinking it. I'll drink it cuz it's good for me. And with 4lbs of the stuff, I'm gonna be drinking it for some time...

...and dreaming of Surge.

EXERCISE
    Notes:
    1)Tempos are in eccentric-static-concentric order. So 301 means a 1s positive, no contracted hold, and a 3s negative

2)I took EC before this workout.

Barbell Squat
    Tempo: 201
    Warm-up: bar x 8
    Work-set: 105 x 15
    Tested 15 RM: 135 x 15

Comments:
    Fairly difficult. I only had 2-3 more reps in me I think. Again, my attention to cadence was a little less strict that previously(The above figure is still, however, pretty accurate.)

Stiff-Legged Deadlift
    Work-sets: 105 x 15(w/ straps)
    Tested 15RM: 135 x 15

Comments:
    Not too difficult. I was feeling much more fatigue in my traps, here, than in my hamstrings and lower-back, which is unusual for me on this exercise.

Incline DB Press
    Tempo: 202
    Warm-up: none
    Work-sets: 25's x 15
    Tested 15RM: 40's x 15

Comments:
    Slightly difficult. Didn't really get much lactic acid buildup/fatigue going in my chest, though. Really felt it mostly in my triceps.

Assisted Chins - Supinated Grip
    Tempo: 303
    Work-set: -130 x 15
    Tested 15 RM: -100 x 15

Comments
    Very easy. Still waiting for this to get difficult.

Assisted Dips
    Work-set: -110 x 15
    Tested 15 RM: -70 x 15

Comments:
    Pretty easy. Like the incline DB press, my chest didn't feel all that fatigued. Mostly felt the lactic acid in my triceps here too.

Seated Row
    Work-set: 60 x 15
    Tested 15RM: 90 x 15

Comments:
    Very easy. Again had some pain in my right middle back--which I'm sure is due to my lower-back injury. So, instead of keeping my back arched as I normally do, I let it round a bit which seemed to take the pressure off that area. I will continue to do this in the future.

Hammer Strength Behind-the-Neck Press
    Tempo: 212
    Work-set: 60 x 15

Comments:
    Last time I felt this mostly in my triceps. This time I closed my eyes during the set and really focused on feeling my deltoids contract. Worked very well. Didn't really feel much fatigue in my tris this time, and got quite a bit of burn in my deltoids. Still quite easy, though.

Incline DB Curl
    Work-set: 15 x 15
    Estimated 15 RM: 20 x 15

Comments:
    Surprisingly, this was fairly difficult. I think I'm performing these a bit slower than I did during my 15RM test, so that's probably the reason. Anyways, my 15RM IS only 5lbs more, so it's not really that far away. Actually, this was almost to failure.

Reverse Pec-Deck
    Work-set: 37.5 x 15
    Tested 15RM: 45 x 15

Comments:
    Closed my eyes here as I did with the OHP, and really focused on feeling my rear-deltoids. Again, this helped quite a bit with fatiguing the muscles in question. This set was slightly difficult.

Kneeling Shrugs
    Warm up: none
    Work set: 30's x 15
    Estimated 15RM: 35 x 15

Comments
    Great ROM. Good burn. Not too easy, not too hard. Perfect.

Wrist Curl
    Tempo:202
    Warm up:none
    Work set: 35 x 15
    Tested 15RM: 45 x 14

Comments
    Much better than last time(This was pathetically easy last time as I mistakenly used too little weight.) Not all that difficult, but not too easy either.

Calf Raise(performed on incline leg press
    Tempo: 101
    Work set: 62.5 x 15
    Tested 15RM: 75 x 15

Comments
    Surprisingly, this was very easy. Last time, it was difficult even though I was using 12.5lbs less. Go figure.

Power Crunch
    Work set: 30 x 15

Comments
    Slightly difficult. Just about right.

Overall Comments:
    Workout clocked in at about 55 minutes. Would have been done even quicker but I had to wait for equipment a couple of times. I'm really enjoying this. I thought not going to failure was just going to be completely intolerable, but I'm finding the opposite to be the case. Very fun.

DIET

6:30am: 1/2 packet Lean Body MRP(11g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 1g fat)

9:30am: 60g muesli, 22g whey, 1/2 cup skim milk, 2 eggs, 1g ester-C, 400IU vitamin E, 1 multi-vitamin, 250mg ALA(40g carbs/8g fiber, 42g protein, 16.5g fat)

11:15am: 2 tablets VasoPro(50mg ephedrine HCL, 400mg guaifenesin), 2 No Doz(400mg caffeine), 1 serving Trac Creatine

11:45am: 22g whey, 5g glutamine peptide(3g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 1.5g fat)

12:20am: 25g Ultra Fuel(25g carbs/0g fiber, 0g protein, 0g fat)

1:00pm: 1 serving Surge, 10g glutamine peptide(50g carbs/0g fiber, 25g protein, 1.5g fat)

1:20pm:12 squirts Lipoderm-Y(200mg yohimbine HCL)

2:30pm: 1/2 Lean Body MRP(11g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 1g fat)

3:00pm: 12.5mg ephedrine HCL, 100mg caffeine

3:30pm: 1 small packet tuna, 1/2oz pecans(3g carbs/1g fiber, 21g protein, 10g fat)

5:00pm: 1 small packet tuna, .5oz pecans, 12.5 mg ephedrine HCL, 100mg caffeine(3g carbs/1g fiber, 21g protein, 10g fat)

8:00pm: stir-fried chicken and vegetables(20g carbs/4g fiber, 27g protein, 10g fat)

10:00pm: 3 ZMA caps

10:30pm: stir-fried chicken and vegetables(40g carbs/8g fiber, 52g protein, 26g fat)

Totals:
    Calories: 2521kcal
    Carbs/Fiber: 206g/22g
    Protein: 250g
    Fat: 77.5

Comments:
    A bit low in carbs and high in protein, but overall not bad.

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    9 hours of somewhat restless sleep.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 03-20-2002 at 06:50 PM.

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
    Did you swicth to glucosamine HCL cause it is a more 'purer' form?

HCL = 81% glucosamine

suplhate = 67%

or figures like that. I'd have to double check my article to be sure tho.
    Glucosamine? What the hell you readin'?

I switched from ephedrine sulfate to ephedrine HCL solely because I found a brand of HCL with only half as much guaifenesin(200mg instead of 400mg in Bronkaid, which uses the sulfate) As I've noted--and posted the abstact--kidney stones have occured in people consuming as little as 600mg of guaifenesin a day(Although, I would bet this was in those predisposed to stones and due to chronic use over many years. The articles does not specify.) Actually, the sulfate has a bit more a kick, unless I'm imagining things(I believe Dan Duchaine stated this as well.)

Might add glucosamine for it's effect on leptin expression. Still undecided on that one. I'll just buy the cheapest stuff I can find, though.

Sorry man, it's 1am and i read wrong. I've deleted the post.

btw, as far glucosamine goes sulphate really is just a 'filler' to save the companies money.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
    Sorry man, it's 1am and i read wrong. I've deleted the post.
    Shoot, you didn't need to do that. I just thought it was funny. I don't care about sh*t cluttering up my journal. It makes it more of a living entity.

true.

BTW for yor interest, it's actually HCL 83% to suplahtes 65%.

And if you see some cheap stuff called N-acetyl-glucosamine (NAG) then ignore it, cause it gets metabolised slightly differently to HCL and sulphate forms. Although i'm not sure if it still has the positive leptin results tho. I doubt it will since it's metabolised differently.

Btw glucosamine has been shown on several occasions to induce insulin resistance. Thought you may wanna know that.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Re: Day 58 - 3/20/02

Originally posted by Blood&Iron

I thought not going to failure was just going to be completely intolerable, but I'm finding the opposite to be the case. Very fun.

[/B]
    I am finding the exact same thing to be true. I am leaving the gym with my mind feeling great and my body feeling worked.
    "Far from broke, got enough bread. And mad ho's ask Bevis I get nuthin but head"

Blood&Iron-
    After one month of doing a CID, on 4-17-2002 I am going to post some pics again and determine based on my body whether or not this diet works. I have read in a few places that Lyle McDonald did it and didnt achieve all that good of results. I KNOW from exeperience that NHE works extremely well. I just hope the same rings true with a CID.

Last edited by MonStar1023; 03-20-2002 at 06:34 PM.

Re: Day 58 - 3/20/02

Originally posted by Blood&Iron
    I've been eyeing the Protein Factory's Recovery Formula for some time as it's basically the same stuff(Actually, it's a bit better of a formulation.) and it's half the price. I've been a bit wary cuz some people have remarked it tastes, well, like puke. Despite my misgivings, though, I finally ordered some. Four pounds of the stuff. It arrived today. It certainly smelled quite puke-y. But I mixed a little up and hoped for the best. All I have to say is: bleech. It's not gonna win any American Tasting Gold Medals, that's for damn sure. Definitely has a bit of a pond-scum flavor. It's not intolerable, mind you. But I won't look forward to drinking it. I'll drink it cuz it's good for me. And with 4lbs of the stuff, I'm gonna be drinking it for some time...
    I use it and actually dont find it to be that bad. What flavor did you get - I like orange sweetened with splenda. I ahve also tried vanilla and it is ok but not as good. I have tried surge also and though it does taste better - I really didnt think the taste justified the price.
    "Far from broke, got enough bread. And mad ho's ask Bevis I get nuthin but head"

Re: Re: Day 58 - 3/20/02

Originally posted by =w=

I use it and actually dont find it to be that bad. What flavor did you get - I like orange sweetened with splenda. I ahve also tried vanilla and it is ok but not as good. I have tried surge also and though it does taste better - I really didnt think the taste justified the price.
    Got vanilla flavored with splenda. Maybe I'll get used to it. As I said, it's not undrinkable, just not particularly good. Since I like Surge so much, though, it's kinda disappointing. I haven't yet decided whether the fact that it's only half as expensive justifies the ass-y flavor. But I might get used to it after awhile.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 03-20-2002 at 06:47 PM.

Blood&Iron-
    Where have you been man? Been checking for your journal, guess you been busy huh this damn thing was on the 2nd page of the journals!

Day 59 - 3/21/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    Decided to see what drinking an entire serving of Recovery Formula would be like. I've actually decided I was wrong about its smell. Actually, it kinda smells good...like maple syrup. And if I hold my nose while drinking it, it kinda tastes okay(You don't get the aftertaste.) But it still took me awhile to get all 20oz of fluid down. I think I'm gonna try mixing 50g of Surge with 50g Recovery Formula tomorrow and see if it's a decent medium between the two(I can still save a little money if I do things that way.) Also, if I do order more of the Recovery Formula I think I'll ask for less sweetener. It's really a bit too sweet--probably in an attempt to mask the taste of the hydrolyzed whey, which is still clearly present. I might be able to get used to the stuff after all, though.

EXERCISE
    20min on treadmill at 15 degree incline @ 3.3mph

Comments
    Was running behind schedule so I had to cut things at the gym a bit short.

Overall Comments:
    Nope.

DIET

9:30am: 22g whey, 5g BCAAs(3g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 1.5g fat)

11:00am: 22g whey, 5g glutamine peptide, 5g BCAAs, 1 serving Trac Creatine, 1 VasoPro, 1 No-Doz(3g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 1.5g fat)

12:15pm-12:35pm: 1 serving Protein Factory Recovery Formula(60g carbs/0g fiber, 28g protein, 1.5g fat)

12:30pm: 6 squirts Lipoderm-Y

1:20pm: Thai chicken in red curry + fried rice + some noodles stuff(60g carbs/4g fiber, 20g protein, 40g fat)<--complete guess

2:30pm: 12.5mg ephedrine HCL, 100mg caffeine

4:00pm: 1 VPX Micellean MRP(22g carbs/7.5g fiber, 45g protein, 2g fat)

--------------------REFEED BEGINS-----------------------------------------

6:00pm: 4 low-fat cupcakes, 1oz baked Lays, 250mg ALA(149g carbs/6g fiber, 10g protein, 7.5g fat)

7:00pm: 6oz spaghetti, 1.5 cups marinara sauce, 25g parmesan cheese(159g carbs/15g fiber, 37g protein, 16.5g fat)

10:00pm: 3 ZMA caps,

10:20pm: 3 low-fat cupcakes, 1oz baked Lays, 6 low fat crumb cakes, 3 cups skim milk, 250mg ALA(257g carbs/5g fiber, 37g protein, 9g fat)

11:30pm: 1 VPX Micellean MRP(22g carbs/7.5g fiber, 45g protein, 2g fat)

Totals:
    Calories: 4737kcal
    Carbs/Fiber: 735g carbs/
    Protein: 266
    Fat: 81.5g

Comments:
    Way too high carbs and calories...oops. Plus fat was too high also(Somewhat unavoidable as we had a going away lunch at work for a staff member. It was at a Thai restaurant. Decided not to be a dorky bodybuilder so I actually ate something.) Too much of a pig out later in the evening. Oh well. Perhaps I'll make tomorrow's part of the refeed more moderate. Or not. We'll see.

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    Only 8 hours sleep.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 03-21-2002 at 09:04 PM.

Day 60 - 3/22/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    Disclaimer:This really has nothing at all to do with training.

In real life I'm quite an affable, laid-back guy--if a bit argumentative. But on message boards like this, sometimes I find myself saying things I would dream of uttering in real-life. Usually, I try to remain civil and censor myself, but sometimes I see something so mind-bogglingly idiotic that my the self-censoring part my brain shuts down. This happened recently on a thread entitled 'Training.' Anyways, to any and all who read what I wrote there: I don't regret my comments. I can't stand when people utter patently ridiculous things, while obviously thinking they are enlightening others with their 'knowledge.'(I'm not referring to the original post, btw.) It just pisses me off. This was one instance. In the interest of maintaining the quality of this board, however, I deleted my subsequent post which was comprised of pointing out the paradox of the other person's response along with an insult or two. Why the hell am I talking about this? Well, cuz letting someone else get the last word just f*cking eats me up inside. So lest anyone think I didn't respond because I was shown to be wrong: you are mistaken. I'm just trying to take the high-road. Name-calling just feeds into a negativity which I do my best to avoid. As the aformentioned thread bears witness, I'm not always successful. But I do try.

One a side-note, 1 scoop Surge + 1 scoop Recovery Formula turned out to be a nice compromise between the two. Doesn't taste great, but it's pretty decent and I had no problem chugging it down. Very little aftertaste. I'll only save 1/2 as much money if I do this(About $30 every two months instead of $60) but unless I try the PF recovery formula a few more times and find I'm able to tolerate it on it's own, this is probably what I'll do.

EXERCISE
    Notes:
    1)Tempos are in eccentric-static-concentric order. So 301 means a 1s positive, no contracted hold, and a 3s negative

2)I took EC before this workout.

Barbell Squat
    Work-set: 115 x 15
    Tested 15 RM: 135 x 15

Comments:
    Again, fairly difficult. A fair amount of burning in my quads. At rep 12 I sorta lost balance--this was due to the fact that I was overthinking my form. Sped up a little, also, for the final 2-3 reps. Low back didn't trouble me during this, however. When I finished I was a bit light-headed and breathing like a race-horse.

Stiff-Legged Deadlift
    Work-sets: 115 x 15(w/ straps)
    Tested 15RM: 135 x 15

Comments:
    No rest after finishing the squat. Slightly difficult.

Incline DB Press
    Work-sets: 30's x 15
    Tested 15RM: 40's x 15

Comments:
    Altered my form slightly so as to take some stress off my triceps. A bit better result than last time. Got a decent burn in my pecs this time.

Assisted Chins - Supinated Grip
    Work-set: -120 x 15
    Tested 15 RM: -100 x 15

Comments
    Quite a bit more difficult than last time, despite the fact that I speed up my tempo a bit. My forearms were suffering the most during this though.

Assisted Dips
    Work-set: -90 x 15
    Tested 15 RM: -70 x 15

Comments:
    Fairly difficult. As with last time, I felt the fatigue/burn mostly in my triceps--dammit.

Seated Row
    Work-set: 70 x 15

Comments:
    Somewhat difficult. Good ROM and form.

Hammer Strength Behind-the-Neck Press
    Tempo: 212
    Work-set: 70 x 15

Comments:
    Oddly, I felt quite a bit of burning in my left delt, but very little in the right. Overall, not too difficult.

Incline DB Curl
    Work-set: 15s x 15
    Estimated 15 RM: 20 x 15

Comments:
    Same weight as last time. Good burn, quite difficult as I got into the teens, and I was very near to failure on the last rep.

Reverse Pec-Deck
    Work-set: 37.5 x 15

Comments:
    Same weight as last time. Decent burn. Slightly difficult.

Kneeling Shrugs
    Work set: 30's x 15
    Estimated 15RM: 35 x 15

Comments
    Same weight as last time. Great in every way.

Wrist Curl
    Tempo:202
    Tested 15RM: 45 x 14

Comments
    Again, same weight as my last session. Quite easy.

Calf Raise(performed on incline leg press
    Tempo: 101
    Work set: 62.5 x 15
    Tested 15RM: 75 x 15

Comments
    Same weight. Fairly easy.

Power Crunch

Comments
    Slightly difficult. Just about right.

Overall Comments:
    Overall, a very good workout. I really took almost no rest between exercises except when I had to wait for equipment, and when I had my mid-workout carb drink. Some exercises were difficult enough that I'm worried about progressing as I should next week. We'll see what happens.

DIET

10:15am: 3 low-fat cinnamon crumb cakes, 60g muesli, 1/2 cup milk, 22g whey, 250mg ALA, 1 multi vitamin, 1g ester-c, 400IU vit. E(97g carbs/8g fiber, 34g protein, 6g fat)

12:10am: 2 VasoPro(50mg ephedrine HCL, 400mg guaifensin), 2 No-Doz(400mg caffeine), 1 serving Trac Creatine

12:30pm(pre-workout): 22g whey, 5g glutamine peptide(3g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 1.5g fat)

12:50pm(halfway through workout): 50g Ultra Fuel, 250mg ALA(49g carbs/0g fiber, 0g protein, 0g fat)

1:30pm(post-workout): 1 scoop Surge + 1 scoop Protein Factory Recovery Formula, 5g glutamine peptide(50g carbs/0g fiber, 25g protein, 1.5g fat)

3:00pm: 3 low-fat crumb cakes, 2 ounces Baked Lays(103g carbs/4g fiber, 6g protein, 4.5g fat)

4:00pm: 1 Lean Body MRP(24g carbs/0g fiber, 45g protein, 2g fat)

5:30pm: 100g Ultra Fuel, 250mg ALA(98g carbs/0g fiber, 0g protein, 0g fat)

8:00pm:1 cup skim milk, 22g whey, 2oz Baked Lays(61g carbs/4g fiber, 34g protein, 4.5g fat)

8:15pm: 6oz spaghetti, 1.5 cups marinara sauce, 25g parmesan cheese(159g carbs/15g fiber, 37g protein, 16.5g fat)

10:00pm: 3 ZMA Caps

10:30pm: 1 VPX Micellean MRP(22g carbs/7.5g fiber, 45g protein, 2g fat)

Totals:
    Calories: 3994kcal
    Carbs/Fiber: 666g/38.5g <-carbs are evil
    Protein: 248g
    Fat: 37.5g

Comments:
    A bit lower in carbs and calories than normal. Didn't plan it out too carefully but I wanted to tone things down given that I went a bit overboard yesterday. Overall, not too bad.

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    10 hours of sleep.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 03-22-2002 at 08:15 PM.

How much ALA do you take on your refeed days? I am taking around 2000 mg. right now with some good results. Do you have the powder or capsule/tablet form of ALA? Beyond-A-Century sells 50g of the powder for $17! Crazy price huh?

... Also heard ALA before AM cardio is really good for lowering blood sugar levels even further.
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 03-22-2002 at 08:26 PM.

How much ALA do you take on your refeed days? I am taking around 2000 mg. right now with some good results. Do you have the powder or capsule/tablet form of ALA? Beyond-A-Century sells 50g of the powder for $17! Crazy price huh?

I'm not too consistent. I usually end up only taking a gram or so per day on refeeds. Usually, one 250mg capsule with several of my 'meals.' Seems to work pretty well. That price looks pretty good, btw.

... Also heard ALA before AM cardio is really good for lowering blood sugar levels even further.
    I don't think it would be all that useful for that, but I'm not really sure. Maybe I'll check around.

Blood&Iron-
    Okay man thanks, I really appreciate you researching stuff for me. Its always a big help. Yeah that price for ALA is great if you ask me. Awesome price @ Beyond-A-Century.

... So far I think I really like a CID. I mean its only been a week but the diet is EXTREMELY easy to stick to. Refeeds all the time it seems like. Monday, Thursday, Sunday, Wednesday, Monday again.. the biggest gap is from Wednesday to the following Monday. Thats 4 days of just isocaloric.. kinda annoying but other than that its literally 2 days iso, 1 day refeed.

... So far I think I really like a CID. I mean its only been a week but the diet is EXTREMELY easy to stick to. Refeeds all the time it seems like. Monday, Thursday, Sunday, Wednesday, Monday again.. the biggest gap is from Wednesday to the following Monday. Thats 4 days of just isocaloric.. kinda annoying but other than that its literally 2 days iso, 1 day refeed.

As I've said before, I've found that the less frequent, longer refeeds that Lyle McDonald and Elzi Volk recommend to actually work a bit better in my case(Par Deus advocates more frequent ones of shorter duration.) I started with 2 days isocaloric, 1 day refeed before switching over. As you point out, I think the best thing about a CID is that you don't feel deprived all the time and , at least in my case, my workouts are of a much higher quality than they are while low-carb dieting. Plus the results are equal to, if not better than those I've acheived while using a CKD. Some people do better on a CKD or even a high-carb, low fat diet, however. The right diet for someone is a very individual thing. No one approach is ideal for everybody.