The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546
Results 1,126 to 1,138 of 1138

Thread: Hell, why not?

Re: Day 255 - 9/24/02

Originally posted by Blood&Iron
    [EXERCISE

Cardio:
    30min on treadmil @ 15 degree incline @ 3.4mph

Overall Comments:
    I forgot how badly cardio sucks. Pfft.
    Ahhhhh ... that ain't nuthin.

Go do some sprints then you'll see how much cardio sucks.
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

Re: Re: Day 255 - 9/24/02

Originally posted by Marcel

Ahhhhh ... that ain't nuthin.

Go do some sprints then you'll see how much cardio sucks.
    I'd do intervals, but IMO it's just too much when using HST and hitting my legs three times a week. In some ways, I prefer intervals. It's more painful, but it's over MUCH more quickly. AND it's not nearly as boring.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Day 256 - 9/25/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    Pfft.

EXERCISE
    Notes:
    1)Tempos are in eccentric-static-concentric order. So 301 means a 1s positive, no contracted hold, and a 3s negative

2)Took 50mg ephedrine/500mg caffeine + 2g l-tyrosine before workout

Workout: 1:00pm - 2:10pm

Deadlifts
    Tempo: 10X
    Warm-up: 135 x 6, 225 x 3, 315 x 1
    Work sets: 365 x 1
    Increment from last session: n/a
    5RM: 295 x 5 @ 20X

Comments:
    Can't do negatives, so I figured I'd try singles. The most I've ever done previously was 315, but I thought maybe I could hit 365 for 1. I got one of the PT's at my gym to watch me, instructing him to yell at me to put the weight down if my form broke down. Frankly, I think he should have yelled at me, but he didn't saying my form was a bit so-so but nothing too bad. I thought it was crap. But my back felt find after and is fine now. And I got the rep. Whoopy-f*cking-do. I'm still have the strength of a 14 year old girl. Next time I'll drop back to 335 and go for 2-3 reps with PERFECT FORM.

Chins
    Tempo: 211
    Warm-up: none
    Work sets: bodyweight+35 x 2 + 4 negatives
    Increment from last session: +10lbs
    Tested 5RM: bodyweight(215)+20 x 3@20X

Comments:
    Slightly difficult. Did the extra negative by accident.

Dips
    Tempo: 111
    Work-set: bodyweight+90 x 2 + 3negs
    Increment: +10lbs
    Tested '5RM': bodyweight(215)+70 x 4@101

Comments
    2nd full rep was very difficult.

Hammer Strength Low Row(w/ straps)
    Tempo: 201
    Work sets:
    Right: 115 x 2 +3negs
    Left: 115 x 2 + 3 negs
    Increment: +15lbs
    Tested 5RM: 200 x 5@201

Comments:
    Easy--but awkward. Too much twising at the torso(which is impossible to avoid on this IMO)

Hammer Strength Behind-the-neck-Press
    Tempo: 101
    Work sets: 220 x 2, 220 x 2
    Tested 5RM: 200 x 5@101

Comments:
    Fairly difficult.

Reverse Pec-Deck
    Work sets: 140 x 2, 140 x 2
    Increment: +5lbs
    Tested 5RM: 120 x 5@201

Comments:
    Not too difficult.

Hammer Strength Machine Curl
    Tempo: 311
    Work sets:
    Right: 55 x 2 +3 negs
    Left: 55 x 2 + 3 negs
    Tested 5RM: 85 x 5@211

Comments:
    Awkward. Full reps were quite difficult. Wrist pain in left arm.

Hammer Strength Seated Hamstring Curl
    Work sets: 125 x 2 + 3negs
    Increment: none
    Tested 5RM: 115 x 5@212

Comments:
    Not too difficult.

Hammer Strength Leg Extensionl
    Work sets: 165 x 2 + 3negs
    Increment: n/a
    Tested 5RM: 160 x 5@201(X)

Comments:
    Pretty easy.

Calf Raise--performed on incline leg press
    Tempo: 101
    Work sets:
    250 x 2(with both legs) + 100 x 3(negs with right leg)
    250 x 2(with both legs) + 100 x 3(negs with left leg)
    Tested 5RM: 250 x 5@101

Comments:
    Pretty easy.

Wrist Curl
    Tempo: 111
    Work-set:
    R: 55 x 2 + 3 negs
    L: 55 x 2(forced) + 3 negs

Comments
    Couldn't hit the 1st full rep with left arm. Pretty difficult.

Power Crunch
    Work sets: 145 x 2
    Tested 5RM: 120 x 5@212

Comments:
    Difficult. ROM was slightly short.

Overall Comments:
    Good workout.

DIET

No breakdown. Did semi-accurate breakdown in my head...

Totals:
    Calories: 3329kcal
    Carbs/Fiber: 365g/18g
    Protein: 200g+40g aminos
    Fat: 109g

Comments:
    Was going alright until the evening, when I was starving, broke down and had some cookies and a chocolate chip muffin. I'd been thinking about having a mini-refeed today as I've been ravenously hungry the last day or two. Won't make the same mistake next time.

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    9 hours.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 09-25-2002 at 10:51 PM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Hey there B&I!
    Congrats on a great journal! Looks like you're "on the right track"! Just wondering how your current stats are looking at the moment? You down from the 16.7% BF you started with?? BTW i haven't read every journal entry of yours, so if you've just recently posted your stats i would prolly look like a real dumbass!!... sorry.
    'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.'
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

Originally posted by Miss Rezza
    Hey there B&I!
    Congrats on a great journal! Looks like you're "on the right track"!
    Thanks

Just wondering how your current stats are looking at the moment? You down from the 16.7% BF you started with??
    The 16.7% at the beginning? Yeah, I was down to about 13% or so at 192lbs(which sucks, but was about 3% lower than I'd ever been before) about 3-4 months ago. Then I bulked up, putting on like 20lbs in 2 months--way too fast, but I didn't do it on purpose. I was just hungry. Most of it was lbm, as I only jumped up in bodyfat to 15%. But then, inexplicably, I had my bodyfat tested again two weeks later and it inexplicably had gone up to 17% without any change in weight. I still think something is fishy. I suspect it's due to the fact that the guy I have doing my bf% tests now is not the same guy that used to do them, and he's not quite as experienced. I would really like to be hydrostatically weighed as I'm not sure how useful my recent bf tests with this guy have been. I've been dieting again for the past 6 weeks, but have been trying to be very gradual and haven't lost any appreciable weight, though today when I weighed myself I was 208(down 4lbs) I tend to lose weight in spurts, or it could just be water weight fluctuations. I'm hoping to have another bf% test in the next couple days.

BTW i haven't read every journal entry of yours, so if you've just recently posted your stats i would prolly look like a real dumbass!!... sorry.
    Hardly. There's so much crap in here at this point, I can't imagine anyone reading all of it.

"In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

:withstupi

Anyways, I'll try to get to an entry for Friday(a workout) day sometime today. Actually, I haven't made a journal entry since Wednesday. So, I've missed 3 days, which is pathetic--I'm actually kinda embarrassed. But Friday, I had what was probably THE WORST workout of my life(Tip: don't eat 7 bowls of Count Chocula before heading off to the gym) It wasn't just the cereal, it was my boredom with negative-only workouts, the fact I forced myself to go at a certain time, rather than waiting until I felt ready(as I usually do) and maybe a couple of other things. ANyways,after I realized the workout was doomed I just started randomly doing whatever I felt like, and after I'd finished decided it was time for SD, so I'm cutting the negatives short at one week. I'm still debating if I'll take two weeks off(I don't honestly think I can go that long without training) or just one. Then I'll probably go back to my Arnold routine and try to make things fun again.

Anyways, I'll try to get to an entry for Friday(a workout) day sometime today. Actually, I haven't made a journal entry since Wednesday. So, I've missed 3 days, which is pathetic--I'm actually kinda embarrassed.
    Nah, it's cool. I mean we do have other things to do then post on WBB right?(Not to offend WBB cuz it's tha shiznit)

Cuz you don't post a day or 2 doesn't mean you are gonna go crazy and eat 7 bowls of cereal!

But Friday, I had what was probably THE WORST workout of my life(Tip: don't eat 7 bowls of Count Chocula before heading off to the gym) It wasn't just the cereal, it was my boredom with negative-only workouts, the fact I forced myself to go at a certain time, rather than waiting until I felt ready(as I usually do) and maybe a couple of other things.
    Ooooops...

Tell me about it. Yesterday morning I knew I had a long busy day ahead of me so I hit the gym first thing in the morning after a shake and fish oil. Fuk did my workout suck.

ANyways,after I realized the workout was doomed I just started randomly doing whatever I felt like, and after I'd finished decided it was time for SD, so I'm cutting the negatives short at one week. I'm still debating if I'll take two weeks off(I don't honestly think I can go that long without training) or just one. Then I'll probably go back to my Arnold routine and try to make things fun again. [/B]
    lmao ... I can just see you going crazy running around lifting dumbells, pressing barbells, and hittin machines.

Two weeks off? Yea right. Wuss.

I can't remember if the Arnold routine was 6 times a week or 3 times a week twice a day. Which one is it?

Latz

Originally posted by Marcel

I can't remember if the Arnold routine was 6 times a week or 3 times a week twice a day. Which one is it?

Latz
    Both.

M-W-F: chest/back in morning, leg evening
    T-TH-F: shoulders/arms in the morning, and since this time I'll be dieting I'll probably do cardio in the evening of these days

I'm still debating if I'll take two weeks off(I don't honestly think I can go that long without training) or just one.
    I'm just finishing my first week of SD and it's getting pretty tough. I'm so looking forward to getting back into the gym.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Where the hell are ya? I need my ODC/HST journal fix.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Originally posted by ectx

Where the hell are ya? I need my ODC/HST journal fix.
    I'll be back by next Wednesday. I just decided that during my 11 days of strategic deconditioning(of which 4 days are left), I'd take a break from EVERYTHING. During my previous bouts of SD I made empty journal entries for the sake of continuity, but this time I decided to skip that. Don't fear, when I return I'll have renewed my enthusiasm and be more OCD'ish than ever.