Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell, why not?

Originally posted by aeckhardt
    B&I this is what I would say about dieting while using HST: IT is excellent becuase it prevents muscle loss, but the only problem is that the intensity isn't quite high enough except the last couple days to cause any serious fat burner/ increases in metabolism. Those are just my thoughts on it considering I am trying to do what you will be trying to do.
    I just feel--and I'm probably wrong here--that not going to failure for 2 weeks is gonna end up seriously affecting my strength levels. To be fair, I've never tried a periodized approach, so this is just my gut feeling. Additionally, I'd probably have to drop my HIIT cardio as I gotta believe squatting + doing intense cardio on an elliptical skier 2-3x a week is going to result in overtraining of my legs, and possibly my upper-body.

As for any increases in metabolism, I don't really think it'll be any greater or less than what I'm doing now as my rest periods are quite long.

I'm just reticent to take chances while dieting. But I doubt it will really affect things much either way. It'll just be a change a pace, which might be nice. I'm still mulling things over, though.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

...and then the BOMB

Lyle McDonald on MFW 1/15/2002
    My conclusion, that even I'm not happy with: leptin isn't workeable enough with current technologies (short of injection) to do what I want it to do. You simply can't get it high enough without getting fat to get the kind of repartitioning effect I was hoping for. Any anabolic response from refeeding is less from leptin and more from simply the re/overfeeding.

This is a day that will live in infamy. We didn't land on Plymouth Rock, Plymouth Rock landed on us. Or something.

GODDAMNIT

But I'm still doing my refeeds 'cause it seems to be working for me.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 03-02-2002 at 08:19 PM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Actually, I might have misinterpreted the above comment. I'm still not sure. Here's the original post:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=HS...onr.com&rnum=8

Hey as far as strength from HST, my strength levels are up. Everyone who is doing HST first notices how there strength levels go up.

B&I: I'm lmao@this revelation.

anyhoo, are you Alan McClure?
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Oooo, wouldn't that be quite the unveiling.

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
    B&I: I'm lmao@this revelation.
    I'm still not sure how to interpret this post. I might email Lyle for an explanation. I'm not sure this is quite so straight-forward as it might seem. I've certainly felt and seen the effects of my refeeds. It may not be due to leptin upregulation--or it may--but refeeds certainly work. You might note, he still told Alan to have refeeds. It just might not be for leptin upregulation. Besides, Lyle--despite the fact that I tend to place his advice over just about anybody else's--is not infallible. He may, in fact, be wrong.

anyhoo, are you Alan McClure?
    I would think this obvious, both due to fairly large differences in writing styles, and the facts that this post was made 1/15/2002 and that I only referred to it last night. No, I am not Alan McClure. Only one person on this site know my real name. I'll PM you my secret identity if it's really all that important. Actually, I'll give you link to a website that has some shitty computer games I've written. I saw in the newletter that you're into programming. The games are kinda amusing, if you want to take a look. One is crappy side-scrolling thing where you're a Viking and you get to chop Monks in half(Might be unplayable on a fast computer. It's supposed to have stuff to limit the frame rate, but the code doesn't work right. I never bothered to fix it.)
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 03-03-2002 at 02:16 PM.

Plus, even though Lyle says he doesn't believe Leptin will be upregulated he still finds refeeds beneficial.

Day 41 - 3/03/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    Okay, I *think* I've decided to go with HST. Frankly, I still have a number of qualms about doing this. But I figure at worst it'll cause me to lose 1-2 lbs more muscle than I will if I stick with what I've been doing, and at best it might help me keep 1-2lbs more muscle. Not a big difference either way. Plus, while I still really do like my routine--even after 5 months on it--I think changing things up will give me a good kick in the ass. I really do enjoy full-body routines. I tried one at the beginning of my last bulking cycle(Got it from Arnold actually. The Golden Six. Great routine) but training to failure on a full-body routine 3x a week I decided was just too much for anything other than a beginner. HST is periodized--something I've always viewed with suspicion and with a certain amount of condescension. But it'll mean I'll make progress at every workout(Well, not really, but it'll seem that way.) It's gonna be hard NOT training to failure, though. I don't think I've ever done this. But next week I will still be going to failure. Following Haycock's advice I will find my 15rep, 10rep, and 5 rep maxes for each lift on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday respectively, then take a week off(I should do this anyway, 'cause it's been a good 5-6 months since I took any real time off.) Then I go into HST. For anyone interested here is the unofficial FAQ on HST compiled from quotes from Bryan Haycock and Lyle McDonald:
    http://www.geocities.com/alanmcclure3/HST_FAQ.html
    More detailed info can be found at:
    www.thinkmuscle.com
    Haycock is a somewhat technical writer but the 3-part series he wrote underlying the theories that lead to his formulation of HST has a lot of good info. For anyone interested in HST, I'd suggest you take the time to read them.
    On a further note, I will probably be dropping my HIIT cardio as I think this will lead to overtraining if combined with HST. I'll probably go back to the drudgery of the incline-treamill. If I keep my rest periods brief during lifting I hope to be able to maintain my newly improved cardiovascular ability.

EXERCISE

Elliptical Ski Machine:
    High-Intensity Interval Training:
    2min warm-up
    20s as fast as I could pump my legs
    10s at slow pace
    20s as fast as possible
    10s at slow pace
    20s as fast as possible
    40s at slow pace
    20s at pretty fast pace
    40s at slow pace
    20s at fast pace
    40s at slow pace
    20 at fast pace
    40s at slow pace
    20s at fast pace
    2 min cool-down

Comments
    Took 1 Bronkaid(25mg ephedrine sulfate) + 1 No-Doz(200mg caffeine) prior to going to the gym. Heart rate when I finished was ~180bpm. I'm steadily improving here--although I was slacking a bit on the last few intervals.

Overall Comments:
    Skipped the calf-workout as I'm planning on switching to HST tomorrow and am gonna be therefore doing legs.

DIET

11:30am: 1 multi-vitamin, 1g ester-C, 400IU vitamin E

11:00am: 1 Bronkaid(25mg ephedrine sulfate), 1 No-Doz(200mg caffeine), 1 serving Trac Creatine

12:00am: 1/2 Bottle Extreme Pure Protein, 5g glutamine peptide, 5g BCAAs(0g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 0g fat)

12:30pm: 1 serving Surge, 250mg ALA(50g carbs/0g fiber, 25g protein, 1.5g fat)

12:45pm:1g ester-C, 400IU vitamin E

1:30pm: 6 squirts Lipoderm-Y, 1 Bronkaid, 1 No-Doz

2:00pm: 1/2 bottle Extreme Pure Protein(0g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 0g fat)

5:30pm: 1 Lean Body MRP, 1 oz pecans(30g carbs/4g fiber, 50g protein, 21g fat)

7:00pm: 3 cups chili, 3oz onion roll, 1 tbsp butter(130g carbs/25g fiber, 40g protein, 20g fat)

7:45pm: 2 cookies, 2 cups skim milk(49g carbs/0g fiber, 17g protein, 9g fat)

10:00pm: 3 caps ZMA

10:30pm: 1 VPX Micellean MRP, 6 fish oil caps(22g carbs/7.5g fiber, 45g protein, 8g fat)

Totals:
    Calories: 2543kcal
    Carbs/Fiber: 281g/36.5
    Protein: 221g
    Fat: 59.5g

Comments:
    Myriad f*ck ups today, which I wont detail. Only thing that matters it that calories ended up once again coming in a bit too high. Pfffft.

Weekly notes:
    I lost no weight this past week(Still ~200lbs), so I will be reducing my calories to 2400kcal a day(Down from around 2500-2600) I might also make my refeed a bit more moderate and start taking EC 4-5 times a day. Probably I'll only do one of this per week so as not to go overboard.

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    10 hours or so of sleep. Kinda restless though.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 05-04-2002 at 10:00 PM.

Sure, show me where the games are.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Blood&Iron-
    HST I see... excellent choice bro. Looking forward to reading your journal from now on a daily basis. I usually try to anyway.

Day 43 - 3/04/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    Well, D&E Pharmacy can suck my ass. Turns out they won't ship pure ephedrine HCL to me, owing to the fact I live in Michigan. Now I figured as much, but those dumbasses couldn't just have a note on the page for the stuff saying something like "This product cannot be shipped to MI, OH, etc, etc" So they send me some email about how I can subsitute a product that has ephedrine HCL AND guaifenesin, IF I fax them a copy of my driver's license, my social security # and a signature. My ass. Okay, enough ranting(BTW, the only reason I'm so pissed is 'cause I was really getting excited that I'd be getting pure ephedrine.) I'll just order some VasPro from Netrition--if they ask me for ID, then I'll just stick with Bronkaid. I'm gonna check on Medline though about any long-term side-effects from ingesting so much damn guafenesin(Like I said previously, I think it may cause kidney stones.

Anyways, on to other matters. Today was my first day of HST--well, kinda. Actually, it was a test for my 15-RM in all the exercises I'll be using, so actually it basically ended up being a prototypical HIT workout. I haven't done one of these in a LOOONG time, and it really was quite fun. I'm already happy that I've made the change to HST(I've been on the same routine for 5 months and the 5 months prior to that something not substantially different. Great to be doing something new. Surprisingly, I didn't end up vomiting. I sorta expected I would, but I really think the HIIT cardio I've been doing prepared me well for things. I'm still not sure if the workout I performed today will end up being the 'final' version of things. I'm still considering whether it's too many exercises and may end up alternating compound movements as Haycock does in his sample routine.

These are the other variants on the routine that I'm still considering(I'll probably stick with what I performed today though)
    Routine 1: alternating A1 and A2
    A1:
    Squat
    Leg Curl
    Incline DB Press
    Chin
    Hammer Behind-the-Neck Press
    Lateral Raise
    Barbell Spider Curls
    Tricep Pushdown(Pfft!)
    Shrugs
    Calf Raise
    Weighted Crunch

A2:
    Leg Press
    Stiff-Legged Deadlift
    Dip
    Hammer Strength Seated Row
    Hammer Behind-the-Neck Press
    Reverse Pec-Deck
    Barbell Spider Curls
    Tricep Pushdown
    Shrugs
    Calf-Raise
    Weighted Crunch

Routine 2(Bunch of foo-foo stuff here, but hey.)
    Squat
    Leg Curl
    Leg Ext
    Incline DB Press
    Incline DB Flye
    Chin
    Pullover
    Overhead DB Press
    Lateral Raise
    Barbell Curl
    Reverse Curl
    Calf-Raise

Okay, that's enough of that on to the workout:

EXERCISE
    Notes:
    1)Tempos are in eccentric-static-concentric order. So 301 means a 1s positive, no contracted hold, and a 3s negative

2)I took EC before this workout.

Barbell Squat
    Tempo: 201
    Warm-up: bar x 8
    Work-set: 135 x 15

Comments:
    Light warm-up, 2 minute rest, and then the work-set. I hit 12 and the last 3 were a little shady. Not horrible, but a little rest-pause like and form was a bit off. This sorta was a idee-fixe of this workout; I knew hitting failure precisely at 15 reps was probably not gonna happen with any exercise so I kinda fudged things a bit. Sometimes this meant not quite going to failure. Othertimes it might speeding up my cadence for the last rep or two(Never let myself get too fast, though) I really wasn't sure how to approach things so this was my compromise. Felt a bit light-headed after this(I was breathing properly, it's just I haven't done 15 reps on the squat in quite some time.)
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Stiff-Legged Deadlift
    Work-sets: 135 x 15(w/ straps)

Comments:
    Went almost immediatly from squat to my warm-up here. Then a minute or two rest and onto the work set. Again my cadence sped up a bit toward the end in my attempt to hit the magic number of 15. Not quite to utter failure here, but pretty damn close.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Incline
    Tempo: 202
    Warm-up: 25's x 6
    Work-sets: 40 x 15

Comments:
    Took a minute or two rest and did the warm-up set. My wrists really felt weak and were a bit of a weak link on this. So I rested another couple of minutes and tried to stretch 'em out so they wouldn't interfere with my work set. I've never performed such high-reps for my upper body and wasn't at all sure what to expect. Again cadence sped up toward the end, and was VERY near to failure when I hit 15.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Assisted Chins - Supinated Grip
    Tempo: 301
    Warm-up: -100 x 5
    Work-set: -100 x 15

Comments
    Minimal rest again from previous exercise to this and between the warm up and work sets. It was pure torture getting 15 here. I could tell this was gonna suck 'cause the warm up was kinda hard. Pretty much hit failure right at 15.
    B&I Rating
    N/A

Assisted Dips
    Warm-up: none
    Work-set: -70x15

Comments:
    Like the chin it was pretty rough getting to 15. I think I had 1-2 reps left in the tank, though, when I finished. Slightly shorter ROM than normal(only 2 inches or so below parallel) 'cause the machine puts me in a groove where it's uncomfortable to go as low as I do on the free-weight version.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Seated Row
    Work-set: 90 x 15

Comments:
    Again, minimal rest from the previous exercise. Came very near to failure, if not indeed there.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Hammer Strength Behind-the-Neck Press
    Tempo: 212
    Work-set: 90 x 15

Comments:
    I've always had horrible endurance in my deltoids(I think most people do) so I tried to be very conservative with my estimate here. Still this ended up being a bitch. Completely to failure. The last rep was a pretty big struggle. But I hit the magic number.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Barbell Spider Curl
    Tempo: 101
    Work-set: 40 x 15

Comments:
    I thought I was being really cautious with my estimate but it still turned out to be a little off. I sped up a fair bit toward the end and really had to struggle for 15. I think I might consider 30-35 my real 15 rep max for the purpose of HST. I haven't decided yet.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Reverse Pec-Deck
    Work-set: 45 x 15

Comments:
    Probably had another 2-3 reps in the tank, but I stopped at 15. Close enough.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Kneeling Shrugs
    Warm up: none
    Work set: 30'x x 17

Comments
    I decided to keep going for whatever reason even though I hit 15. I might use 35lbs as my 15 rep max for the purpose of HST.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Wrist Curl
    Tempo:202
    Warm up:none
    Work set: bar(45) x 14
    Comments
    The only exercise where I actually fell short of the 15 rep mark. I really struggled for 14. Quite an effort. But #15 wasn't gonna happend.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Calf Raise(performed on incline leg press
    Work set: 75 x 15
    Comments
    Probably had another 2-3 reps in me, but quit at 15.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Power Crunch
    Work set: 45 x 15
    Comments
    Really had to struggle to hit 15 here. Good effort.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Overall Comments:
    Really enjoyed this workout. Wonderful change of pace. I'm very much looking forward to HST and really felt invigorated by the change of pace(Although, I won't get to go to failure, unlike today, which is gonna really be difficult for me.) Also, really surprised I didn't puke from this, as this is very similar to the old HIT workouts I did for my first year of lifting, and those always left me hunched over a toilet wishing God would just let me die. I think this is due to somewhat longer rest periods then I was taking the, the fact that I didn't go to absolute failure on most of the exercises, and my recent forays in HIIT cardio. Workout ended up clocking in at just over one hour--still haven't decided if this is too long. Anyways, great workout. Fun.

DIET

9:30am: 6 squirts Lipoderm-Y

10:00am: 30g muesli, 22g whey, 1/2 cup skim milk, 2 eggs, 1g ester-C, 400IU vitamin E, 1 multi-vitamin(31g carbs/2g fiber, 43g protein, 12g fat)

11:15am: 2 Bronkaid(50mg ephedrine sulfate), 2 No Doz(400mg caffeine), 1 serving Trac Creatine

11:30am: 22g whey, 5g glutamine peptide, 5g BCAAs(3g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 1.5g fat)

12:00am: 25g Ultra Fuel(25g carbs/0g fiber, 0g protein, 0g fat(

12:35pm: 1 serving Surge, 10g glutamine peptide(50g carbs/0g fiber, 25g protein, 1.5g fat)

2:00pm: 1 small packet tuna, 1/2 Lean Body MRP, 1 oz peanuts(32g carbs/4g fiber, 41g protein, 18g fat)

5:30pm: 25g Ultra Fuel, 1oz peanuts(32g carbs/4g fiber, 8g protein, 16g fat)

6:00pm: 1 Bronkaid, 1 No Doz, 6 squirts Lipoderm-Y

7:00pm: stir-fried chicken and vegetables(38g carbs/6g fiber, 40g protein, 15g fat)

10:00pm: 3 ZMA caps

10:30pm: 1 cup cottage cheese, 6 fish oil caps(10g carbs/7.5g fiber, 28g protein, 15g fat)

Totals:
    Calories: 2458kcal
    Carbs/Fiber: 221g
    Protein: 218g
    Fat: 78g fat

Comments:
    Quite good. Nothing seriously wrong, although a bit much maltodextrin at non-postworkout time(Didn't have time to prepare anything else.)

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    9 hours of fairly decent sleep.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 03-04-2002 at 05:46 PM.

Blood&Iron-
    First HST workout looks good bro. Really looking forward to seeing what kinda results youll be getting here with HST along with your CID.

Day 44 - 3/5/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    Here are some questions I had about HST and Bryan Haycock's reponse. Frankly, I think it's pretty freakn' cool he takes the time to address questions from people, even when they're as stupid as mine were. I'm not entirely happy with his answers(I would have preferred something a bit more scientific, as the answers he gave are basically how I would have answered these questions if they were posed to me.) but hey, still good to know the opinions of HST's inventor--however off-the-cuff and noncommittal they might be.

Date: 03/05/02 12:10 AM
    Author: Bryan Haycock
    Subject: RE: Three question for Bryan

Hi B&I, If you have qualms, it's just a sign that you aren't new to bodybuilding. I'm jsut glad to welcome you to the board. Now to your questions...

1)Over the past 4-5 weeks I have switched to HIT cardio performed on an elliptical trainer(7 maximal sprints with 10-40s rest between) Since I was dividing my workouts into push/pull/legs it did not seem to adversely affect my performance, but considering the fact that I will now be working legs three days a week I would suspect such an approach would lead to overtraining. Can I maintain my fitness level if I keep rest periods short during lifting even though I no longer perform high-intensity cardio?

Yes, just ask anybody who has done the 15s with short rest periods. Once oyu get into the 5s you can add cardio "after" your session and keep any cardiovascular fitness you want.

2) In your example routines you alternate between compound exercises. I've seen you say this is to prevent joint-problems, however, if one does not suffer these, would it be better to perform both compound movements every workout, as this seems more in line with the theoretical underpinings of HST?

I just like to alternate exercises from workout to workout to decrease the workload. Joint problems can only be avoided through smart training and knowing when enough is enough. Strategic Deconditioning and the 15s are designed to prepare the body. They are a means to an end...not the end.

3)Apropos to the previous question: do you feel the following is too many movements for HST, provided the workout still clocks in at about an hour, or would it be better to alternate for example the incline DB Press and dips/chins and seated rows, while performing the other movements at every workout:
    Squat
    Stiff-Legged Deadlift
    Incline DB Press
    Chin
    Dip
    Hammer Strength Seated Row
    Hammer Strenth Behind-the-Neck Press
    Barbell Spider Curl
    Reverse Pec-Deck
    Kneeling DB Shrugs
    Wrist Curls
    Calf Raises
    Weighted Crunch

You really have to give it a go and see how you feel. A lot of people us ethat may exercises and do great. Other people use fewer. Its up to you. Just get in some good compound exercises and set up a good progression of weight.over 6-8 weeks.
    Also took the time to look do some a little research on guaifenesin. Since my ephedrine HCL ain't coming, I'm trying to decide whether or not the cost/benefit of ephedrine that contains it is worth it longer-term. I'm really not sure. I don't think I like the idea of ingesting 1.2grams of that crap a day--which I have been while using Bronkaid. Kidney stones, from what I've heard, are not fun. VasPro, which Netrition.com sells, has 25mg ephedrine HCL and 200mg of guaifenesin per tablet, which is half as much gauifenesin as Bronkaid. Still, I'd prefer not to take any of the stuff. I'm not sure, now that I've experience pharmaceutical grade ephedrine I can go back to alkaloids, however. I might dig up these articles to see what amount consitutes 'large amounts of guaifenesin containing medications.' I gotta think that 1.2grams a day would qualify, though. Here are the abstracts, anyway:

Unique Identifier

PubMed Identifier

Authors
    Pickens CL. Milliron AR. Fussner AL. Dversdall BC. Langenstroer P.
    Ferguson S. Fu X. Schmitz FJ. Poole EC.

Institution
    UroSciences Group, UroCor, Inc., Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA.

Title
    Abuse of guaifenesin-containing medications generates an excess of a carboxylate salt of beta-(2-methoxyphenoxy)-lactic acid, a guaifenesin metabolite, and results in urolithiasis.

Source
    Urology. 54(1):23-7, 1999 Jul.

Abstract
    OBJECTIVES: Several urinary calculi were submitted to our institution for compositional analysis. The typical techniques of analysis, polarized light microscopy, electron microprobe analysis, and infrared spectroscopy proved inadequate for a definitive identification. As a result, a more detailed organic analysis was conducted to determine the exact chemical structure of the material.
    METHODS: Infrared spectroscopy and mass spectrometric analysis were carried out on the solid material, providing information concerning the functional groups and the molecular mass of the organic constituent and its components. The stone was solubilized in deuterated solvents and analyzed by nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, which resulted in a definitive chemical structure.
    RESULTS: The spectroscopic analysis indicated that the stones were composed of a calcium salt of beta-(2-methoxyphenoxy)-lactic acid, a metabolite of the pharmaceutical guaifenesin, which is used as an expectorant.
    CONCLUSIONS: Guaifenesin, an expectorant common in over-the-counter cold and allergy remedies, can cause urolithiasis if taken in excess. Discussions with physicians and their patients confirmed that most patients admitted to taking large doses of guaifenesin-containing medications.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unique Identifier

PubMed Identifier

Authors
    Assimos DG. Langenstroer P. Leinbach RF. Mandel NS. Stern JM. Holmes RP.

Institution
    Department of Urology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine,
    Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27157-1094, USA. dassimos@wfubmc.edu

Title
    Guaifenesin- and ephedrine-induced stones.

Source
    Journal of Endourology. 13(9):665-7, 1999 Nov.

Abstract
    PURPOSE: We report a new type of drug-induced stone that is caused by overconsumption of preparations containing guaifenesin and ephedrine.
    MATERIALS AND METHODS: Clinical and stone analysis data from the Molecular Structure Laboratory at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, were reviewed. Stone analysis was performed by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, high-resolution X-ray crystallographic powder diffraction, or both. The urine and stone material from one of the subjects were analyzed with high-performance liquid chromatography.
    RESULTS: Stone analysis from seven patients demonstrated metabolites of guaifenesin. High-performance liquid chromatography revealed that the stone and urine from one subject had a high content of guaifenesin metabolites and a small amount of ephedrine. Demographic data were available on five patients. Three had a history of alcohol or drug dependency. All were consuming over-the-counter preparations containing
    ephedrine and guaifenesin. Four admitted to taking excessive quantities of these agents, mainly as a stimulant. Hypocitraturia was identified in two individuals subjected to urinary metabolic testing. These stones are radiolucent on standard X-ray imaging but can be demonstrated on unenhanced CT. Shockwave lithotripsy was performed in two patients, and the calculi fragmented easily.
    CONCLUSIONS: Individuals consuming large quantities of preparations containing ephedrine and guaifenesin may be at
    risk to develop stones derived mainly from metabolites of guaifenesin and small quantities of ephedrine. These patients may be prone to drug or alcohol dependency.
    One further note, I finally received the three bottles of Hollywood Cuts I ordered from SAN several weeks ago. Too bad I found out that good ol' ephedrine is still better when used with Lipoderm-Y. Typical. But I liked Adipokinetix the times I've used it and this is basically the exact same formula, so I'm stocked up(Anyways, pretty soon norephedrine will be impossible to buy, so I can always resell the damn stuff.)

EXERCISE

30min on incline treadmill set at 15 degree incline at speed varying between 3.2-3.5mph

Comments
    Back to my boring old cardio. As I've mentioned previously it'd probably be stupid to continue with HIIT cardio(Though I may do it once a week.) so I'm going back to low-intensity drudgery(Actually, it was kinda nice to not have my lungs feel like they were on fire when I finished.) My legs were quite sore this morning anyway, so I couldn't really have done HIIT even if I wanted to(Oddly, my left quad is much sorer than my right. Probably some crap I was pulling while squatting--i.e. I was pushing harder through the left leg. I'll have to watch this. MY lower back feels fine, though)

DIET

9:00am: 6 squirts Lipoderm-Y

9:30am: 2 eggs, 22g whey(6g carbs/0g fiber, 34g protein, 10.5g fat)

11:00am: 1 serving Trac Creatine, 1 Bronkaid, 1 No-Doz

11:30pm: 22g whey, 5g glutamine peptide, 5g BCAAs(3g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 1.5g fat)

12:15pm: 50g Ultra Fuel(49g carbs/0g fiber, 0g protein, 0g fat)

12:30pm: 6 squirts Lipoderm-Y, 1/2 tablet Bronkaid, 1/2 tablet No-Doz

2:00pm: 1 Lean Body MRP(24g carbs/1g fiber, 45g protein, 2g fat)

2:30pm: 1/2 tablet Bronkaid, 1/2 tablet No-Doz

4:30pm: stir-fried chicken and vegetables(35g carbs/6g fiber, 40g protein, 15g fat)

6:00pm: 4 low-fat cupcakes(126g carbs/4g fiber, 8g protein, 6g fat)

7:30pm: 6oz spaghetti, 1.5 cups marinara sauce, 25g parmesan cheese(159g carbs/15g fiber, 37g protein, 16.5g fat)

9:00pm: 100g Ultra Fuel(98g carbs/0g fiber, 0g protein, 0g fat)

10:00pm: 3 ZMA caps,

10:30pm: 1 VPX Micellean MRP(22g carbs/7.5g fiber, 45g protein, 2g fat)

Totals:
    Calories: 3545kcal
    Carbs/Fiber: 524g/36.5g
    Protein: 242g
    Fat: 53.5g

Comments:
    Just about perfect. No major complaints. Having been perusing the thinkmuscle site I came across an article by Haycock about optimal use of ephedrine. So today, for the first time I cut my dosages in half and made them more frequent(Every 2 hours.) I'll continue to do this in the future.

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    Only 8 hours sleep, which is not enough.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 03-05-2002 at 06:37 PM.

Blood&Iron-
    Good questions for Bryan bro. I was curious about the compound exercises every other workout too. What is Bronkaid? I saw it in what you took today or whatever.

... You switch supplements a lot and try new supplements often. Youre almost as bad as I am!
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 03-05-2002 at 07:21 PM.

Originally posted by MonStar1023
    Blood&Iron-
    Good questions for Bryan bro. I was curious about the compound exercises every other workout too. What is Bronkaid? I saw it in what you took today or whatever.

... You switch supplements a lot and try new supplements often. Youre almost as bad as I am!
    Gee, I've been talking about this a lot recently. Anyways, Bronkaid is an over-the-counter asthma medication that contains 25mg pure pharmaceutical grade ephedrine sulfate(Rather than the herbal ephedra alkaloids which are used in things like Xenadrine, Clenbutrx, etc.) Only downside is it has guaifenesin(an expectorant) added to keep people from making meth from the stuff. It doesn't really affect how it makes you feel, but you can see the abstracts I dug up on it on my previous post. Probably not a good idea to take it long term. But pure ephedrine feels very different than the alkaloids(May just be because most ma huang products are underdosed.) I don't really want to go back.

I do use a fair number of supplements but I pretty much stick to the basics: creatine, protein, MRPs, carb powder, glutamine, EC, and vitamins. Fish oils and GLA I take for general health, not for bodybuilding. But I do experiment and try new things. I generally don't go for the newest/latest fad though. But sometimes, my senses take leave of me, and I end up with a bottle of ecdysterone(I still say the damn stuff did something. Who knows?) As I said once before, it's better than crack habit. When you figure that I blow $60 easy on one night out on the bars, it's really not that bad. It just means I can't go out and get hammered very often, 'cause I blow all my money on supps. Win-win, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 03-05-2002 at 08:46 PM.

Day 45 - 3/06/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    Day 2 of HST. Well, kinda; I'm actually still just testing my maxes(This time it was 10RM) Again, quite a bit of fun. I'm really enjoying these full-body workouts.

EXERCISE
    Notes:
    1)Tempos are in eccentric-static-concentric order. So 301 means a 1s positive, no contracted hold, and a 3s negative

Barbell Squat
    Work-set: 165 x 10

Comments:
    The work set was basically to failure. I did go for 11 just to sorta see how much gas was left in the tank and ended up crashing on the pins. So, I'd say this is a fairly close to being my actual 10RM(Just as a side note the bar I use is, I believe, 55lbs. But I pretend it's a normal 45lb one--and have done this since before beginning this journal. So any poundages you see for squat or SLDL anywhere in my journal are basically 10lbs heavier than the number I list.)
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Stiff-Legged Deadlift
    Work-sets: 185 x 10

Comments:
    Took a pretty brief rest before moving from squats to this. I tried to be cautious with my estimate here. Actually, this might've been 1-2 reps short of real failure. My form might've been a bit off though, so I'm gonna use this number for HST purposes.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Incline DB Press
    Warm-up: 20's x 6
    Work-sets: 55 x 10

Comments:
    Came pretty damn close to failure if not actually hitting it.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Tempo: 301
    Work-set: -60 x 10

Comments
    I used straps here when I did the 15RM test(Something, I failed to note in my journal) but didn't here 'cause I couldn't get them to properly wrapped around the grips. Consequently, my grip was a bit of a factor here. But I did pretty much hit failure with my back at 60. Form was a bit off on the last rep as well, with me crunching my abdominals a bit to get it.
    B&I Rating
    N/A

Assisted Dips
    Work-set: -30x10

Comments:
    No rest from previous exercise. I still had 2-3 reps left in me when I hit 10. I'm gonna use -20 for planning out my progression for HST.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Seated Row
    Work-set: 130 x 10

Comments:
    Minimal rest betweent the dips and this. Rep 10 was fairly difficult, and I pretty much hit failure on it.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Tempo: 212
    Work-set: 130 x 11

Comments:
    This was actually quite a bit easier than I expected. I'm not sure whether to use this number of 135. I failed at rep 12.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Barbell Spider Curl
    Work-set: 50 x 11

Comments:
    Again, I underestimated a bit here. So I might use 55lbs as my '10RM'
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Reverse Pec-Deck
    Work-set: 60 x 10, 75 x 10

Comments:
    My estimate here was horribly off. Ended up resting about 2 minutes and trying again--this undoubtedly means the 2nd number is off too. Not sure what to do. I think the 75 is moderately accurate, but I might use 77.5 as my HST number.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Kneeling Shrugs
    Work set: 50's x 10

Comments
    ROM kinda sucked here. Probably a bit heavier than what I was really capable of. Still the set wasn't to failure. Kinda confusing.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Wrist Curl
    Work set: 65 x 10
    Comments
    Exactly my 10RM. Had to push quite hard for rep number 10.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Work set: 100 x 10, 125 x 10

Comments
    As with the reverse pec-deck my first estimate here turned out to be too low. Rested two minutes or so and did another set that was a bit more on target--though still probably not quite right.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Power Crunch
    Work set: 65 x 10
    Comments
    This was too light. I didn't do another set, but I'll use 75lbs for planning my HST progression.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Overall Comments:
    As last time, this was quite good fun. I think I'm really gonna enjoy HST(Although, having to take a week off prior to beginning things is really gonna suck.) Also, I was surprised once again that this didn't really make me feel at all nauseated.

DIET

9:00am: 3 low-fat cinnamon crumb cakes, 60g muesli, 1/2 cup milk, 22g whey, 250mg ALA, 1 multi vitamin, 1g ester-c, 400IU vit. E(97g carbs/6g fiber, 34g protein, 6g fat)

11:45am: 2 Bronkaid(50mg ephedrine sulfate, 800mg guaifensin), 2 No-Doz(400mg caffeine), 1 serving Trac Creatine

12:15pm(pre-workout): 22g whey, 5g glutamine peptide(3g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 1.5g fat)

12:50pm(halfway through workout): 50g Ultra Fuel, 250mg ALA(49g carbs/0g fiber, 0g protein, 0g fat)

1:30pm(post-workout): 22g whey, 5g glutamine peptide, 50g Ultra Fuel(49g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 1.5g fat)

3:00pm: 3 low-fat crumb cakes, 2 ounces Baked Lays(103g carbs/4g fiber, 6g protein, 4.5g fat)

3:30pm: 1 Lean Body MRP, 2oz Baked Lays(80g carbs/4g fiber, 49g protein, 5g fat)

5:30pm: 100g Ultra Fuel, 250mg ALA(98g carbs/0g fiber, 0g protein, 0g fat)

7:00pm: 6oz spaghetti, 1.5 cups marinara sauce, 25g parmesan cheese(159g carbs/15g fiber, 37g protein, 16.5g fat)

8:30pm: 100g Ultra Fuel, 250mg ALA(98g carbs/0g fiber, 0g protein, 0g fat)

10:00pm: 3 ZMA Caps

10:30pm: 1 VPX Micellean MRP(22g carbs/7.5g fiber, 45g protein, 2g fat)

Totals:
    Calories: 4185kcal
    Carbs/Fiber: 748g/36g
    Protein: 215g
    Fat: 37g

Comments:
    A bit lower in calories than my last few refeeds, but I'm not decided whether this is good or bad. Mostly the lower calories is due to very low fat(~8% of calories) Overall, I'd rate this quite good.

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    Got about 9 hours of sleep. Not bad.

Day 46 - 3/7/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    Goddamn. Lots o' people been starting journals or updating or something. Mine got bumped to page #2. This will not stand.

Anyways, tomorrow is my 5RM test for HST. Really, I probably don't need to perform this workout, since I've been working in this range previously. But I'm not gonna get to workout all next week so I'm gonna really make sure I enjoy this last session. I also think I'm gonna substitute incline DB curls for the BB spider curls. I'm not sure if I'll retest my 15 and 10 rep maxes tomorrow or just guess or do it on Sunday or something. We'll see tomorrow.

I'm also trying to decide what I'm gonna do in term of diet next week. I'm leaning towards either just eating normally and not weighing stuff and so forth, or eating at maintenance(~3000kcal a day) and keeping careful track of things. I don't think I'll continue to diet, since I won't be lifting. Plus, while I'm not too burned out on dieting, a week off from weighing things and restricting myself would be nice seeing as I've been at this for the better part of 12 weeks now. We'll see how I feel come Saturday.

EXERCISE

30min on incline treadmill set at 15 degree incline at speed varying between 3.2-3.5mph

Comments
    Boring. Not much else to say.

DIET

10:30am: 22g whey, 5g glutamine peptide, 5g BCAAs, 400IU vitamin E, 1g vitamin C, 1 multi-vitamin, 250mg ALA(3g carbs/0g fiber, 22g protein, 1.5g fat)

11:00am: 1 serving Trac Creatine, 2 Hollywood Cuts(50mg norephedrine, 200mg caffeine, 5.5mg yohimbine)

12:00pm: 50g Ultra Fuel(49g carbs/0g fiber, 0g protein, 0g fat)

12:15pm: 6 squirts Lipoderm-Y, 1 Bronkaid, 1 tablet No-Doz

1:30pm: 1/2 roast beef spinach wrap(25g carbs/3g fiber, 15g protein, 10g fat)

2:45pm: 1/2 Lean Body MRP, 1/2 roast beef spinach wrap(37g carbs/3g fiber, 37g protein, 11g fat)

6:00pm: 1 cup cottage cheese, 1oz peanuts, 2 cookies(38g carbs/4g fiber, 37g protein, 30g fat)

7:45pm: 2 eggs, 1/2 Lean Body MRP, 1.5 cups mixed vegetables(37g carbs/4g fiber, 38g protein, 9g fat)

10:00pm: 3 ZMA caps,

10:15pm: 4 pieces chocolate, 1 packet tuna(20g carbs/0g fiber, 19g protein, 11g fat)

10:30pm: 1 VPX Micellean MRP, 6 fish oil caps(22g carbs/7.5g fiber, 45g protein, 10g fat)

Totals:
    Calories: 2518kcal
    Carbs/Fiber: 231g/ 21.5g
    Protein: 213g
    Fat: 82.5

Comments:
    A little high in calories and just generally off in a couple of ways, but not horrible. My schedule today sort of threw things off a bit, so that considered, it didn't turn out too badly.

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    9 hours of kinda restless sleep. Legs are still a bit sore from the 15 rep workout on Monday. Lower back feels fine. Upper back is still tender(I must have pulled some cartilage or something for it to be taking so long to heal.)

Day 47 - 3/08/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    My 5RM test for HST. This was my last workout for a week. I don't know what I'm gonna do with myself. I suppose I could read a book or something. Pffft. I'm also gonna relax on the diet front. I'll keep a mental log of what I'm eating and shoot for about 250g protein, 250g carbs, and 90g of fat, but I'm not gonna weigh my food, etc.

EXERCISE
    Notes:

Barbell Squat
    Work-set: 205 x 5

Comments:
    My lower back has been feeling pretty much recovered but I was still wary of doing low-rep squats considering this is what f*cked me up 3 weeks ago. My form was decent, although a little too much back hyperextension and my back didn't quite feel right. I probably should have skipped this, and may, when I get to the 5 rep portion of HST, simply continue doing 10reps on squatting. I'll see how I feel when I get there.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Stiff-Legged Deadlift
    Work-sets: 225 x 5(w/ straps)

Comments:
    This was somewhat difficult but not really to failure. I wanted to be careful with my back.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Incline DB Press
    Warm-up: 25's x 6
    Work-sets: 75's x 5

Comments:
    To failure. Last rep was quite difficult.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Work-set: bodyweight+10lbs x 5

Comments
    Form on the final rep was a bit off, but overall pretty good. A bit faster tempo than normal, though.
    B&I Rating
    N/A

Weighted Dips
    Work-set: bodyweight+20lbs x 5

Comments:
    Fairly easy. Kept going after I hit 5 and failed at 6, so I guess technically this is the right # to use. I think I could've gotten 5 reps using 25 or 30lbs though.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Seated Row
    Work-set: 205 x 5

Comments:
    A little off on the form here--nothing major, just a bit shorter ROM than normal--but this was to failure. Good push for rep number 5.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Work-set: 180 x 5

Comments:
    To failure but I really didn't exert to much effort after I hit 5. I probably could've used 185 or 190 and still hit 5 reps.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Incline DB Curls
    Work-set: 25's x 10, 35's x 2

Comments:
    Decided to test my 10RM max first as I think I'm gonna use this instead of the BB spider curls. I decided to also test my 5RM but due to going to failure on the previous set, I think things got thrown off a bit and only ended up getting 2 reps. My 5RM is probably only 30lbs
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Reverse Pec-Deck
    Work-set: 110 x 5

Comments:
    To failure but not too much push on the final rep. Still this is probably just about right.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Kneeling Shrugs
    Work set: 50's x 5, 60 x 5

Comments
    Decent form. I stupidly failed to notice that I hit 10 using 50lb DB's for my 10RM. 60lbs is closer to the mark. I could probably go heavier, but I think ROM would suffer.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Wrist Curl
    Work set: 105 x 4
    Comments
    Only 4 reps. I may still use this number, however.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Work set: 212 x 6

Comments
    Way too easy. I should use 237 or 250 for the purposes of HST.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Power Crunch
    Work set: 95 x 5
    Comments
    Had to push a bit for number 5, so I'd say this is just about right.
    B&I Rating:
    N/A

Overall Comments:
    For whatever stupid reason my tempos were a bit faster than normal. I think I could repeat these rep numbers using a slower tempo, though, so I'm gonna use most of these numbers. Not a bit workout, but quite a bit less taxing than the higher rep days. Clocked in at about 1 hour 10min.

DIET

Starting today, I'm not gonna be so anal about this until the week after next. Might put on a few lbs, but so what.

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    Got about 10 hours of sleep. Felt quite well rested.

Day 48 - 3/09/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    Well, I won't be exercising or anything this next week, but for continuity's sake I'll still be making daily journal entries. They'll just be completely devoid of any useful information. Actually, I'm not really sure that will be any sort of change. Anyways, went out last night, got drunk, made an ass of myself and feel kinda shitty today. No workouts to mess up though, so I don't feel guilty. But the 50bucks I blew coulda gone to something useful like a bottle of HMB or maybe some methoxy-isoflavone. Alcohol is evil. So are covers. That is all.

EXERCISE
    Opening and closing the refrigerator.

DIET
    ****. Didn't eat much, 'cause I felt kinda sick.

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    Low back doesn't feel any worse surprisingly despite my expectations that it would due to the low-rep squats I performed yesterday. I still suspect I have a slightly compressed disk or something(I'm no doctor, so who the f*ck knows?) But unless it worsens considerably I don't think I'll have it checked out. I'll probably skip squats when I get to the 5-rep portion of HST, however.

Why did you keep opening and closing the refrigerator if you didn't eat mucH?

Originally posted by heathj
    Why did you keep opening and closing the refrigerator if you didn't eat mucH?
    I didn't. It's just the rest of the day I was lying sorta semi-comatosed on the couch, so getting up and looking in the refrigerator was pretty much my only physical activity--unless you count taking a dump.

Day 49 - 3/10/02

GENERAL RAMBLINGS
    Can't let my beautiful journal be relegated to 2nd page status.

EXERCISE
    Nope.

DIET
    Kinda crappy, but not horrible. Too much junk, though.

MISC. RECOVERY ISSUES
    My lower back is f*cked--all because of one stupid macho moment. Ah, well. I really should go and have it checked out. Oh, well. Might have to drop the squats and use the leg press instead. We'll see how I feel in a week.

Well I've been following this since day 1 and it took 49 days for me to be influenced into stealing your organizational qualities. I fought against the urge to create a nice and clear daily journal and I'm finally giving in. lol

Hope your back feels better
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Originally posted by Jane
    Well I've been following this since day 1 and it took 49 days for me to be influenced into stealing your organizational qualities. I fought against the urge to create a nice and clear daily journal and I'm finally giving in. lol
    Nice, clear journal? What you you been reading? Anyways, if you want to earn membership to the "B&I Anal-rententive Training Club of Cosmetic Hypertrophy"(BIATCCH) you must weigh all food-stuffs to within 1/10 of a gram. A one-time fee of $50 is also required(I accept cash and credit--sorry, no CODs.) Also, using mismatched clips or plates on an olympic bar is grounds for being disbarred from the organization. Training for anything other than appearance is also strongly discouraged.

Hope your back feels better
    Thank you, so do I.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 03-11-2002 at 06:20 AM.