Thread: The Long Walk- Richard Bauchman (Stephen King)

The Long Walk- Richard Bauchman (Stephen King)

WOW. This was absolutely amazing. Possibly one of the best books I've ever read. First, actually second SK book I've read. Has anybody else here read this book? If anybody has, would ya'll recommend books that are very similar in nature to this one. I'm not a big fan of sci fi books or horror books (pretty much most of SK's stuff), so I'm looking for more books that are similar to The Long Walk.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Haven't read it. I would however, recommend The Stand by SK.....one of the best (and longest) books I've read.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    WOW. This was absolutely amazing. Possibly one of the best books I've ever read. First, actually second SK book I've read. Has anybody else here read this book? If anybody has, would ya'll recommend books that are very similar in nature to this one. I'm not a big fan of sci fi books or horror books (pretty much most of SK's stuff), so I'm looking for more books that are similar to The Long Walk.
    Great story...if you win the walk you get a billion dollars...if you fail you get a high powered rifle shot in your head.

Jimmy

His original version of the Running Man (also under Richard Bauchman) is also very good... The Stand is like something from an other writer compared to the Long Walk... I keep waiting for a reality show like the original Running man to show up on TV. I won't give it away but it is light years from the movie and very realistic, something that could take place today

Thanks for the suggestion Geeper. I'll have to read the Running Man.

Jim, the book wasn't awesome because of some crazy plot, but because of the emotions that Bauchman was able to potray throughout the whole story. I actually liked the whole idea behind the story, but like I said above, that wasn't what made the book great.

The Long Walk was one of my favs. Others you might like ...

- The Running Man
    - The Green Mile
    - Secret Window, Secret Garden
    - The Library Policeman
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I like the Keep by F. Paul Wilson
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Banned
    The Long Walk is definitely a powerful story. I enjoyed it immensely.

I have read almost all of Stephen Kings works. (Actually, I have read all of SK's works, still working on some of the Backman books, and I have the Cell sitting at home waiting to be next).

Gunslinger series is cool.
    Stephen King/Peter Straub's book The Talisman is also a good read (followed by the sequel Black House, which I am currently reading)

I started reading SK when I was about 12 and I have everybook in paperback but decided to upgrade and I have about half of them in hardback just waiting for our new house with the study/library add on to put them on the shelves.
    Tuef = "I need to get my ego stroked more often."

A required read when I was in high school.

Here is a list of the Stephen King books I have sitting on my shelf in my office:

The Regulators
    Geralds Game
    The Talisman
    Rose Madder
    Dolores Claiborne
    The Eyes of the Dragon
    Desperation
    Insomnia
    IT
    TommyKnockers
    Hearts of Atlantis
    The Bachman Books(4 early novels)
    Four Past Midnight
    Everythings Eventual
    The Stand
    From a Buick 8
    The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon
    The Dead Zone
    The Long Walk
    Night Shift
    Roadwork
    Needful Things
    Different Seasons
    The Shining
    Pet Sematary

Dark Tower Series:
    The Gunslinger
    The Wastelands
    The Drawing of the Three
    Wizard and Glass
    Wolves of the Calla
    Song of Susannah
    The Dark Tower

I also have the individual series of books for The Green Mile.

Also, the non-fiction work Danse Macabre (only made it through about half of this though, it is boring LOL )

At home I have:
    The Cell
    Black House
    Carrie (only hardback, lost paperback along time ago)
    The Running Man
    Thinner
    Dreamcatcher
    The Dark Half
    Thinner
    Bag of Bones

Ones I have not read:
    Cujo
    Christine
    Rage
    Firestarter
    Misery

I highly recommend them all.

I know I am forgetting some that I only have in hardback or some that I have lost the paperback version of, but that is the bulk of the ones I have read.
    Last edited by GrumpyTX; 04-24-2006 at 09:08 AM.
    Tuef = "I need to get my ego stroked more often."

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle
    A required read when I was in high school.

Damn Slim, I wish they had required us to read things like that when I was still in school. The best book I read in highschool was Catcher in the Rye.

Grumpy, or anybody else, what are some books a bit more similar to the Long Walk? I really liked the whole style of writing and type of story it was. Anthony seemed to list some that were a bit closer to what I'm looking for.

Damn Slim, I wish they had required us to read things like that when I was still in school. The best book I read in highschool was Catcher in the Rye.

Grumpy, or anybody else, what are some books a bit more similar to the Long Walk? I really liked the whole style of writing and type of story it was. Anthony seemed to list some that were a bit closer to what I'm looking for.
    Gotta love those all-guy Catholic high schools.

Read this over the last couple days after seeing the good reviews here. I agree....very good book. I'd definitely recommend to all.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin