The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Gallon of milk per day

OK so im bulking (currently at 195lb) and i have been working myself up to almost a gallon of milk per day. Its red cap milk so its 120cal per serving with 16 servings in a gallon. this is almost 3k calories of just milk. Can anyone tell meif this is ok to do for bulking? Should I switch to 2% for decrease the fat content?

Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by gonzoflick
    OK so im bulking (currently at 195lb) and i have been working myself up to almost a gallon of milk per day. Its red cap milk so its 120cal per serving with 16 servings in a gallon. this is almost 3k calories of just milk. Can anyone tell meif this is ok to do for bulking? Should I switch to 2% for decrease the fat content?

Thanks
    I drink a full gallon of 2% most days, I haven't died yet. I don't think whole milk would be too bad.

I thought whole milk has 150 calories per serving and 2% has 120 calories per serving? Atleast all the milk I've ever drank has been like that.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

"He's used to doing the jerk first, then the clean." -Xian

"Eat more? I am already consuming more than 2500 cals a day." -Danpiel

if your digestive system can handle all that lactose, then go for it. Its a great cal dense liquid, plus its damn tasty. personally i couldn't stomach a gallon a day, thats just too much for my stomach/intestines to digest.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Wannabebig Member
    150 cal per serving your right.. stupid question but what are some signs my stocmach / digestive tract isnt digesting all the milk properly

Quote Originally Posted by gonzoflick
    150 cal per serving your right.. stupid question but what are some signs my stocmach / digestive tract isnt digesting all the milk properly
    Taken from wikipedia:
    With lactose intolerance, the result of consuming lactose or a lactose-containing food is excess gas production and often diarrhea
    The normal mammalian condition is for the young to lose the ability to digest effectively milk sugar (lactose) at the end of the weaning period (a species-specific length of time usually equal to roughly 3% of lifespan). In humans, lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose) production usually drops about 90% during the first four years of life, though the exact drop and age varies widely. However, certain human populations have undergone a mutation on chromosome 2 which results in a bypass of the normal shutdown in lactase production, allowing members of these groups to continue consumption of fresh milk and fresh milk products throughout their lives.
    most modern western Eurasians and people of western Eurasian ancestry show the effects of this mutation (that is, they are able to safely consume milk products all their lives) while most modern eastern Eurasians, sub-Saharan Africans and native peoples of the Americas and Pacific Islands do not (making them lactose intolerant as adults)
    Without lactase, the lactose in milk remains uncleaved and unabsorbed. Lactose cannot pass easily through the intestinal wall into the bloodstream, so it remains in the intestines. Soon, gut bacteria adapt to the relative abundance of lactose (relative to other sugars like glucose) and switch over to metabolizing lactose. Along the way they produce copious amounts of gas by fermentation.

The gas causes a range of unpleasant abdominal symptoms, including stomach cramps, bloating, flatulence and diarrhoea. Like other unabsorbed sugars, e.g. mannitol, the lactose raises the osmotic pressure of the colon contents, preventing the colon from resorbing water and hence causing a laxative effect to add to the excessive gas production.
    It is my understanding that you are either lactose intolerant or you are not.
    Although there may be some threshold at which you are consuming more lactose than your body can break down. but i really have no idea.
    If you're net getting excessive gas/diarrhea i'd say you're fine based off this information.
    Last edited by Stackattack; 04-26-2006 at 09:40 PM.

I read some more and this was revealed:
    It should be remembered that lactose intolerance is not a binary (all-or-nothing) condition: the reduction in lactase production, and hence, amount of lactose that can be tolerated varies from person to person, and may change with age.

Quote Originally Posted by Stackattack
    If you're net getting excessive gas/diarrhea i'd say you're fine based off this information.
    ^^^^^
    I guess this still applies though.

basically all i was saying was that if i were to drink that much milk a day, i PERSONALLY would experience major stomach cramps and overall not well-feeling because my stomach couldn't handle all the lactose that was being thrown at it.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

mmm... discipline
    Too much milk hurts my tummy too... HOWEVER, if I eat yogurt (good bacteria) through the day along with the milk I experience no stomach problems. It's really helped me out. Apparently the good bacteria helps to digest the lactose. I'm up to a half gallon of whole milk a day, sometimes a whole gallon. I'm sure to get plenty of olive oil as well, to balance out all of that saturated fat.

Do you think that your stomach can adapt?

I remember not being able to have much milk at all, but now I seem to be able to drink much more.
    18 Years of Age

5'7'' 140 lbs---Now 148

As of Feb. 2006------As of April 2006------As of July 2006

Bench- 155 x 2------170 x 1--------------Not Tested
    Squat- 200 x 1 (parallel)------Untested-------205 x 1 (Ass to Grass)
    Dead- Untested------235 x 2-----------250lbs x1 (3 sets of this)

anyone heard of the notion you cant drink more than a gallon of milk in an hour?
    CONSISTANT EFFORT is more important than any formula for success

I do it quite often.. I'm still alive.

Just have plenty water too to help prevent kidney stones (because, dont forget you're exceeding 1000% of your reccommended calcium intake!)

Although high protein actually affects calcium absorption.. so I wouldn't worry too much.
    Last edited by Davidelmo; 04-29-2006 at 06:43 AM.

Whole milk is the reason I was able to break 200. Drink as much as possible.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

milk is very good for you and is great for bulking, ever hear of squats and milk program? 20 rep squat routine along with 1 gal of milk a day and you will get massivly huge.
    2000 or bust

I would avoid it due to the insulin spiking.

Quote Originally Posted by TechMetalMan
    Do you think that your stomach can adapt?

I remember not being able to have much milk at all, but now I seem to be able to drink much more.

I have also had the same problem. The first time I dieted I got rid of milk completely (I was dumb). When I started drinking milk again I got the worst gas ever, my stomach was upset and my stomach normally handles anything. It took a few weeks but it got back to normal.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST