Thread: Suggestions for a new lifter?

Suggestions for a new lifter?

Well I am new here but I have been browsing through the forum reading a lot of threads and I've gotten a lot of information so first off, thanks for that.

So to start I am 16, 17 in July '06, 160 pounds, low bodyfat % (12 - 14) or so? And I have been lifting for only a few months, but been practicing many sports like soccer, biking, track, skiing, wakeboarding etc. My legs are in good shape and I work them mainly to maintain what I have over the winter, but my upper body isn't where I'd like it too be.

I notice a lot of people posting their splits and having people give all kinds of different advice but if you could suggest some specific excersizes more suited towards a beggining lifter targeting Shoulders, Back, Chest, Triceps, and Biceps and Abs if you want.. But something more tuned towards a beginner lifter instead of someone who has been lifting for a while that would be great.
    Last edited by brad-w; 04-26-2006 at 09:33 PM.
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 167
    Starting Weight: 147
    Bodyfat: 10% approx.
    Goal: 200 lbs.

Check these routines out... They are solid routines for beginners and andvanced weightlifters!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

WBB #1 is gonna be your best place to start. Yes it looks like not enough but do it, and you'll see why its so good. Also it sounds like you want to gain weight, so i would suggest eating like a horse.
    Last edited by ddegroff; 04-26-2006 at 10:10 PM.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Matt04
    dude work your legs aswell, mabe even think about a upper/lower split with only one lower day if you are that out of porportion. But i doubt that because you are new.

that routine looks great, but when I do a small number of reps and sets, with a heavy weight, I don't get fatigued right after my workout. I'll do the heaviest weight I can, while keeping in control and with good form, and then I'll put the weights down after struggling through 7 reps, and feel completely energetic again. Is this normal? I am used to being quite tired for at least a few minutes after something like a bike ride. But I guess like you say, the workout's are meant to stimulate muscle growth.. not completely fatigue them everytime right?
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 167
    Starting Weight: 147
    Bodyfat: 10% approx.
    Goal: 200 lbs.

yeah you're right. just keep grabbing heavier weight as you can manage with good form. it sounds like you need to increase the intensity atleast. the best way to do that is shorten your rest btw sets.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brad-w
    that routine looks great, but when I do a small number of reps and sets, with a heavy weight, I don't get fatigued right after my workout. I'll do the heaviest weight I can, while keeping in control and with good form, and then I'll put the weights down after struggling through 7 reps, and feel completely energetic again. Is this normal? I am used to being quite tired for at least a few minutes after something like a bike ride. But I guess like you say, the workout's are meant to stimulate muscle growth.. not completely fatigue them everytime right?
    I found that too at first. It was because I didn't have enough weight on the bar. When you switch from a high volume routine to a lower volume routine it is hard to gauge your strength. Give it a couple of weeks.

As a side note, I just got back from my WBB1 leg workout and it damn near killed me. I finished exams yesterday and decided to go balls-out today. I thought I was going to puke, and that was after about 6 sets (2 of squat, hack squat, and SLDL). Thats how intense 6 sets can be!