The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

supplement stack and routine questions

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums here and I am a passionate weight lifter I guess you could say. I love the feeling of getting a great workout in as Iím sure all of you do too. but I have nobody that I can talk to to tell me if my supplement stack and routine is good, so thatís why Iím posting this.

first off my supplement stack is L-glutamine, creatine, protein, and anator-p70. I've been taken creatine twice a day, L-glutamine 30 minutes before and after working out, protein between meals as a in between snack, and anator-p70 immediately after working out. This is my first time on a complete stack other than just protein powder. and Iíve been taking these for just about a month now.

as for my routine I have been concentrating on my upper body almost all the time. when I work out my legs it is on a rest day that I spend conditioning (playing basketball). I have good strength in my legs but I just do general exercises when I do my legs because Iím not concentrating on building them up that much as of now.

I have been doing this for a month now.

ok so here is my routine:
    day1: back+sholders+abs
    day2: chest+arms
    day3: rest+abs+legs
    day4: back+sholders
    day5: chest+arms+abs
    day6: rest

the question that I have about this routine is, even though I am isolating different muscles everyday, am I hindering my muscle building of my other muscles by working out the next day on different muscles?

here are my sets and reps: (you will see I have abs on both workouts but I donít do them everyday as you can see on my routine schedule.)

Chest, Arms

Chest
    Flat bench barbell press
    Reps: 12,10,8,6-8

Incline bench barbell press

Decline bench dumbbell press
    Reps: 12,10,8

Flat bench dumbbell press
    Reps: 12,10,8

Pictorial incline flies
    Reps: 10x2

Pictorial decline flies
    Reps: 12x2

Pictorial flies
    Reps: 12x2

Biceps
    Standing barbell curls

Preacher bench curls
    Reps: 12,10,10

Standing dumbbell curls (SR)

Triceps
    Close grip cable press downs

Rope cable press downs
    Reps: 12,10,8,8

Single arm cable press downs (SR)
    Reps: 12,10-12,10

Back, Shoulders

Back
    Lat pull downs
    Reps: 12,10-12,10,8

Wide grip pull ups
    Reps: 12,12,12

Machine pull backs
    Reps:12,10-12,10,8

Barbell bent over rows

Lower pully cable row
    Reps:12,10-12,10,8,8

Square bar shrugs
    Reps: 12-15,12,12,10

Dumbbell Shrugs
    Reps: 12,12,12

Shoulders
    Behind the neck barbell press

Overhead dumbbell press

Bent over parallel flies
    Reps: 12,12,12,12

Standing parallel flies

Abs
    Abs
    Incline sit ups
    Reps: 20,20,20

Standing cable pulls

Incline Bench rotation

Side bend dumbbell pulls

On specified rest days I do the same ab work out that I do above. and the ab work out listed, I add that on to the days that I work out chest and arms or back and shoulders according to my schedule.

So if you guys have any suggestions please feel free to post a reply. Iím just looking for some confirmation that Iím doing well or some replies if I need to change anything.

Thanks for the help,
    Kurt

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

are you bound to a wheel chair?

You're not right? so why not focus on your legs as you do your chest and back?
    Last edited by DNL; 04-27-2006 at 03:38 PM.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    This is really terrible. Take a look at Baby Got Back.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Your workout sucks. Far too much volume, far too much arm work, no squats, no deadlifts. I'd go have a look at WBB1 routine thats on www.wannabebig.com
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

Also what are your stats? with that much volume and that amount of supplements you're taking I hope you're an advance lifter. Usually if you're not sure how supplements should be used, the best thing to do is to put them aside, and focus on food.

To be honest your routine is crap. But the good news is, everybody will come up with a crappy routine at some point in their lives. The only difference is how some of us were able to learn from that.

First, The most obvious problem is that you're not training legs. leg exercises such as squat and leg press, variation of deadlifts, etc. force your body to release growth hormones. I tihink this alone far more outweigh the need for supplements (but this is only my opinion).

the second problem is that i think you are trying to do every exercise there are in one session. 2 exercises should be enough, 3 is ideal, and 4 is to workout at your own risk. Keep in mind you are only at your strongest for the first exercise unless of course the subsequent exercises focus on a different muscle group. Meaning there's no point of doing 5 chest exercises because you're just wasting away precious proteins and calories that you could use to build muscles.

OK i should stop.. didn't realized i typed so much. anyway read on man. There are ALOT of great posts.

LOL! I just looked at the MuscleTech advertising of Anator-p70... **** made me giggle!

Wannabebig New Member
    ya i have been working out on my own for 3 years now. I have never had a set workout routine made for me and have just compiled things that i know break down my muscle but i realize that it has got to the point where Iíve gone with too much volume. and have taken protein for muscle building and just recently decided to take it to the next level. I do that much volume because that is incorporating my warm up sets that all of these other low volume workout plans just donít include in the actual set count.

I have found a few good workouts that i want to try, and i realize that my volume is high, but my recovery time and strength throughout my workout doesnít seem to diminish. I'm not sure if its the supplements that im taking but i hit the weights VERY hard on every exercise and still manage to hit the same muscles 2-3 days later.

but i am just going to finish out today doing my back and shoulders and abs and then probably start this routine:
    http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/bo...ut-guide-1.htm

the plan is very detailed and he gives good advice. you guys think this is a good option?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtd53
    ya i have been working out on my own for 3 years now. I have never had a set workout routine made for me and have just compiled things that i know break down my muscle but i realize that it has got to the point where Iíve gone with too much volume. and have taken protein for muscle building and just recently decided to take it to the next level. I do that much volume because that is incorporating my warm up sets that all of these other low volume workout plans just donít include in the actual set count.

I have found a few good workouts that i want to try, and i realize that my volume is high, but my recovery time and strength throughout my workout doesnít seem to diminish. I'm not sure if its the supplements that im taking but i hit the weights VERY hard on every exercise and still manage to hit the same muscles 2-3 days later.

but i am just going to finish out today doing my back and shoulders and abs and then probably start this routine:
    http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/bo...ut-guide-1.htm

the plan is very detailed and he gives good advice. you guys think this is a good option?
    That routine looks ok, but I think it has too much shoulder and arm work. Personally, I would combine arm and shoulder days in to one, and do two exercises per mucle group (bis, tris, and shoulders). This will also give you another day of rest, which is a good thing.

Wannabebig New Member
    ok thanks for the help. I did think that it was a little limited, but i did like the way that i would be able to concentrate on working one specific muscle group a day.

Personally i don't like going to the gym for only 3 exercise or one muscle group and leave. PLus 5 days a week is a bit much. I'd rather save that gas money on food =).

How will you formulate your new split?