Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Willpower > Emotions

Willpower > Emotions (Pictures) [Revived 9/21/06]

Alright, So this is my third damn journal, and I've got to keep it up this time. To be honest, I've been struggling with depression for a good half of a year now, and just a few months ago went to a professional to seek treatment, I've been taking medicine for a few months, but I feel like I need to do my part to help myself recover.
    My main goal is to remain commited to exercising on a set schedual, I would also love to make a lot of gains, but I really need the structure right now. I also think I'd like to go on a nice bulk, but i'll be putting some pictures up and I want feedback on how I should form my body.

WARNING: NOT MY CURRENT ROUTINE-> SCROLL DOWN FOR CURRENT ROUTINE + EXERCISES PLEASE!!!

Here is what I plan to do:
    Monday:
    Chest / Triceps
    Flat bench
    BB bench (or incline)
    DB Fly
    Dips
    Skull Crushers

Tuesday:
    Aerobic run 30-60 min

Wed:
    Back / Biceps
    Deadlift
    DB Curl
    Seated wide / close row
    Pullups
    Hammer Curls
    Lat pulldowns

Thursday:
    Aerobic run 30-60 min

Friday:
    Legs / Shoulders
    Squats (ATF)
    GM's
    Calf raises
    Military Press
    Shrugs
    Arnold Press

Saturday:
    Light fun run, extensive stretching

Sunday: Full rest day

Now I'll get the diet, most of it, up as soon as possible, but I'm currently 6'3" and about 190-195 lbs and there should be pics, I think I'd like to gain so weight, what is the input? I want to keep the running because I'm pretty sure it's really good for your mental health and running is in genes and I think the lack of it in my life for the last year or so has been perhaps part of the reason for my sadness. Feel free to post any personal anecdotes about anything, please, I really want to keep this going.

supps: Multivitimin, Fish oil (2x a day) Fluoxetine (Depression) , Zyrtec (Allergies), (I have ETS I might start taking), Minocycline (Acne)

EDIT
    Pictures attached! Wow! I look really small I don't know how I can weigh so much... Opinions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bareyataghan; 09-20-2006 at 10:36 PM.
    Weight: 200 lbs.
    Height: 6'3"
    Current: Bench (155) / Deadlift (185) / Squat (215) -- all x6
    Goals: 225+ / 315+ / 345 +

My Journal... come visit!
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78451

Alright, First day! -- had a great breakfast- 4 eggs 2 pieces of toast and a scoop of whey in milk, and I made lots of food to eat today! Alright, I'll edit and add my workout when I get back on later... wooo!

You're lean and have a big frame. That means lots of potential. A couple of suggestions ...

Your routine is pretty close to "legs/push/pull," which worked well for me in the past. Move shoulders to Monday and you're all set. If you do decide to make that change, I would suggest Monday/Legs, Wednesday/Push, Friday/Pull. It just helps separate your squats/deadlifts to maximize recovery. Not a huge deal either way, though.

And I realize you made a special note on the running, but perhaps consider replacing the long distance runs with HIIT. It will provide all of the physical benefits of a long distance run (vo2max, lactate threshold, etc) with none of the drawbacks (muscle loss). My personal experience (and that of many others) with HIIT/GPP/Crossfit has been that my confidence and mental toughness have improved and they were both strong to begin with. I'm not sure if the same would happen for you, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Good luck!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Wish you well for a smooth sailing from here on man...having height makes it harder but you should be ok.

your title drew me in!

Anthony seems to have some really good advice for you. perhaps the simplest way for you to implement HIIT instead of running would be to just push yourself as much as you can on your regular running route, then when you tire out, walk until you feel you can push hard again (sprint, walk, sprint, walk). do that for time.

also, if you have troubles keeping a regular schedule, and are dealing with depression, my advice to you is to wake up really early to train. they said i'm bipolar, and i did this. i haven't felt better in my life. i now wake up early on a regular basis and have time for a good breakfast. i think it'll go a long way. it's hard to say what you can do though, it depends on your schedule. me, i just made it fit, and i've done well. you CAN do it if you WANT to. good luck!
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert Heinlein

My Journal

Okedoke--- Decided to do some chest and tricep today to finish off the week, so I can start next week fresh with a new routine. I like the idea of Legs/monday --> Wed/ Push ---> Friday/ Pull I think I'll do that, see how it works out for me.
    Thursday--> I went for a run yesterday, pretty nice 5 mile run... Although I guess I could try HIIT... does anyone have a nice link with suggested routines, or could post some suggestions about it? I think it might work out nicely because i've read/ heard lots about its benefits and it's not as time consuming as a long run.

Today! (4/28/2006)

Chest:
    Bench 165x5x5x5 (I didn't think I could do that much, it was nice)
    DB Fly- 40x6x6x6
    Incline Bench 135x3x3x3

Triceps:
    Dips bodyweight x6x6x6
    Pulldown 90x6x6x6
    SkullCrushers-> 65x6 75x5x5

Had a real nice PWO shake too, need to go eat lots of food now though. Thanks everyone for posts and encouragement.

Note: I'm making dinner for my girlfriend tomorrow night to celebrate our roughly 6 month mark (as neither of us counted or such). I've got a sick recipie for pasta, and my parents will be out of town ((We're both highschool seniors, I'm 18)). Needless to say I'm looking forward to it! Any good idea for delicious deserts or such?
    Last edited by Bareyataghan; 04-28-2006 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bareyataghan
    Any good idea for delicious deserts or such?
    if you're looking to go easy, but tasty, they have cookies and cream deserts out of a box at the store. those are the best deserts ever. or you could do the peach cobbler/apple pie thing.

aside from that, maybe mouse would be better with pasta. you can get that at the store too. it's around 99 cents for the mouse...
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert Heinlein

My Journal

Todayyyyy- LEGS
    I took Anthony's advice and started out my week with legs, and plan to follow through with push on wed and pull on friday. I also hope to try out some HIIT tomorrow, which I will post about at the bottom of this.
    Diet: I did pretty good, had a couple glasses of milk this morning, a large bowl of oatmeal w/ brown sugar, 3 of my 4 pb+j sandwhichs i made for lunch. two banana's, a nice 23g protein power bar (stole from my friends house at lunch), and just had a protein shake. I'm about to have an awesome dinner at my friends house because his mom made some crazy meal with chicken and sausage and all this delicious stuff. Anyway, maybe I'll post up on that later.

Workout- Legs- 5/1/06

Squat 225x8 275 x5x5 <--- probably should go lower with my ROM but sometimes I feel like I might never come back up if I go any lower, is it harder for tall people?

GM's <--- First time doing
    95x 8 115 x6x6 Should this go on leg days?

Calf Raises (On the Smith Machine, can you do freeweight variations?)
    285 x6x6x6

Leg Press
    310 x6x6x6

Deeper Squat on Smith Machine
    155x6x6x6 (I was tired at the end?)

How was this? I ran around on the inside track for 5min to warm up.

HIIT for tomorrow, I was thinking of using the school track, doing 3 miles, running (sprinting) the 100m sides, then jogging the 100m corners (maybe a little walking). So that would be 2400m total of sprinting, and 2400m total of jogging / walking. Is this enough or too much, I think I should be able to do about this much, although right after leg day it might be hard. Also, should I try and do it in the morning, or is at night ok?

My life!:
    http://server4.pictiger.com/img/2714...ful-dinner.php

My saturday night celebration with my girlfriend went really well, aside from the fact that the linguine w/ brie and tomatoes was a bit garlic-y (I happened to mistake a head of garlic for just a mere clove, and well know how bad such small mistakes can be! ) - aside from that things are going pretty swell. I have AP exams coming up, don't know how much studying I'll do. I have AP stat tomorrow, AP english this thur, AP physics B next monday, and AP spanish literature next friday..... It's going to be a rough few weeks.

I went to the store today and got 2 lbs of turkey meat and a pound of cheese (all sliced) so I can make some awesome lunch stuff this week for school- and lots!
    Last edited by Bareyataghan; 05-01-2006 at 04:17 PM.

Oh noes... I was supposed to do shoulders today, wasn't I... uhlllll How am I going to work that out

Hang tough with all them upcoming exams Bare...the new push-pull-legs split is ace imo with weekends free, lol.

Grip it, rip it... or push it?

5/3/06 - Push (sorta?) day

Bench Press flat BB
    135x8 165x4x3x3 135x6

Skull Crushers
    70x6x6x5

Bench Press flat DB
    50x8 60x3 55x5 (dropped on my left pec trying to do the 6th :*( )

Tricep pull down... opps...
    80x8 85x6x6

DB Fly
    35x8 40x6x6

I also did some other tricep thing... some dips and such... felt like a pretty good workout.

Diet... doing good, eating lots! However, I think I'm going to be needing like 2 1/2 lbs of turkey a week, since I use about 1lb in two days...

AP English test tomorrow, hurrah! The only subject I feel I enjoy and have a good grasp on

I think I need to get on that HIIT... and figure out a correct PUSH / PULL alternation... like what do I do on the PUSH day.... and then on the PULL day.... hmmmm

Good deal with the diet, eating that way with the turkey or chicken breasts will make you look super.

Quote Originally Posted by Bareyataghan
    probably should go lower with my ROM but sometimes I feel like I might never come back up if I go any lower, is it harder for tall people?
    Everyone has different leverage, but don't use it as an excuse. There's no probably about it ... you WILL go lower. Just reduce the weight and build back up. It won't take you long and it will be more beneficial in the long run. Trust me, you don't want to be the guy we make fun of for doing 1/2 squats!

Deeper Squat on Smith Machine
    Don't bother with these.

HIIT for tomorrow, I was thinking of using the school track, doing 3 miles, running (sprinting) the 100m sides, then jogging the 100m corners (maybe a little walking). So that would be 2400m total of sprinting, and 2400m total of jogging / walking. Is this enough or too much, I think I should be able to do about this much, although right after leg day it might be hard. Also, should I try and do it in the morning, or is at night ok?
    24 sets of sprints? Waaaaaaay too much for your first time. Don't underestimate these. When I say sprint, I mean 100%, full out, balls to the wall, everything-you-got-and-then-some sprint. Walk the corners. Start with 3 laps (6 sprints, 6 corners) and gradually build up to 10 laps. And doing it at night is fine - treat HIIT like a weight lifting session.
    Last edited by Anthony; 05-04-2006 at 06:05 AM.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Thanks for the comments all, I'll man up on those squats and give the HIIT a try.

Are you from Chapel Hill?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Yea... I've lived here for about 5 years, since my father got a job with the University. I'll be enrolling at UNC in the fall.

Do you go to CHHS or east?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

LOOK! HERE AND BELOW IS CURRENT AS OF 9/18/06

I guess this will be my third attempt to start a journal. My other ones just never seem to have made it through. But I'm hoping since I've now got a good training partner things will work out for the best. Anyway- I just started college at UNC (chapel hill) and I am really liking it (and the gym is nice too). I"m 6'2" and probably about 190-200 lbs. I'll weight myself on thursday.
    I'll go ahead and post the workouts I did this week

Monday:

Squat
    10x135
    8x 185
    8x 185
    8x 185

Lunge (BB)
    45x 10
    95x 8
    95x 8
    95x 8

SLDL
    95x10
    135x8
    135x8
    135x8

Tuesday

Upright Rows
    115x 10
    135x 8
    135x 8
    135x 8

Clean & Press
    95x 10
    115x 8
    115x 8

115x 8

Shrugs (DB)
    45x 10 (forward and back)
    45x 10
    45x 10
    45x 10

Diet:
    I've been trying to eat a lot more. I've got many many tubs of protein powder i'm trying to put away. Also I'm trying to make sure to take full advantage of my buffet meal plan thing here.

I realize my lifts are pretty weak but I'm going to be doing a nice compound routine and am looking to eat like a shark and get bigger.
    Last edited by Bareyataghan; 09-20-2006 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks for the reply. I'm really hoping that my lifts will go up a lot.
    I'm really not fat or anything like that- I'll try and get some pictures up this weekend- I might just post some old ones (they are roughly the same).

Also- the buffet here is strickly absurdly unhealthy food
    I just eat like granola and milk and eggs and tofu wraps and... more milk
    cottage cheese and yogurt. I try the meat sometimes but it's normally swiming in butter. I guess I could buy and make more food for myself.

Right now I have a lot of bread and make lots of PB (natty) and jelly and eat them before bed with protein shakes.

I have a nice big manly multivitimin I try to take every day, I take fish oil (1g x 2) in the morning and night. I'm on some other med's but they are unrelated to getting big....

Anyway- I'm very serious about getting bigger. I look forward to being an active member of this forum.

9/21/06

BACK / PULL

Deadlift
    135x 10
    225x 8
    225x 8
    225x 8
    (Grip was giving away and it was hurting the hands near the end)

Pullups (widegrip)
    assistance x8
    assistance x8
    assistance x8
    (all pretty weak- I'm still not very good at pullups

Lat Pulldown
    100x 10
    100x 10
    115x 8
    115x 8

Oblique side bend
    45x 8
    45x 8
    45x 8

Notes:
    I've been feeling pretty sick today- me and my roommate both have a cough and nausua- so i guess everything was pretty weak. I'll still be lifting tomorrow. Trying to shove down lots of food- missed lunch but drank a lot of protein shakes / ate fruit / some other stuff during the time period to make up for a real lunch. I know it's bad- I'll try not to let it happen again.

Weighed myself at I'm about 200 I donno that makes me feel fat- but I still look essentially like the pictures posted above but maybe a little more muscular. I don't know sometimes I wish I wasn't so big (but not muscular )

9/22/06

Chest/Tri

Flat Bench
    95x10
    135x8
    135x8
    135x8

Incline Bench
    65x10
    105x10
    105x8
    105x6

Barbell Pullover
    bar + 20 (bar was maybe 25-35) x10

Dips
    BWx 8
    BWx 8
    BWx 8
    BWx 8

Ab pulldown
    200x 8
    200x 8
    200x 8
    200x 8

Diet-
    Pretty good- had some good food- need to eat more still

Health
    Still feeling a little sick- and my weak workout didn't help me to feel better.

Wannabebig New Member
    Hey Dallas. I'll be starting a journal and such soon enough. GET HUGE! I love you.

9/25/06

Chest/Tri

Flat Bench
    135x10
    145x8
    145x8
    145x8

Incline Bench
    105x10
    115x8
    115x8
    115x8

Barbell Pullover
    bar + 30 (bar was maybe 25-35) x10

Dips
    BWx 8
    BWx 8
    BWx 8
    BWx 8

Diet
    Terrible- that's all.

Tuesday: (9/26/06)

Squat
    10x135
    8x 185
    8x 225
    8x 225

Lunge (BB)
    (this means I did that number x2 (down 10 for right leg, down 10 for left etc))
    65x 10
    95x 8
    95x 8
    95x 8

SLDL
    135x10
    185x10
    185x10
    185x10

Hammer Str. Calf raise
    280x 10
    300x 8
    300x 8
    300x 8

Diet: Still not eating ANYWHERE near enough- this is pretty bad I'm not going to grow if I don't EAT
    Last edited by Bareyataghan; 09-26-2006 at 04:52 PM.

Nice squats man! You doing ATF squats?

I moved back in with my parents for this year of school and I'm finding it really hard to get my diet straight too. The easiest thing for me seems to be making all my food the day before then I don't have the option of just eating whatever's in the fridge or getting to lazy to make a decent meal.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)