The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Not Feeling A Pump During Workouts

OK, what's going on here? I'm just not feeling a pump during my workouts, especially my chest. Here's my chest routine:

Flat bench 3 x 6-9 reps
    Incline 3 x 6-9
    Decline 3 x 6-9
    Pullovers 3 x 8-12
    Cable crossovers 3 x 8-10

I'm feeling a bit of a pump in my arms, but not much anywhere else. Needless to say, I don't think my chest is keeping up with the rest.

I call upon the workout gods to tell me how to reshape my routine.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstorm
    OK, what's going on here? I'm just not feeling a pump during my workouts, especially my chest. Here's my chest routine:

Flat bench 3 x 6-9 reps
    Incline 3 x 6-9
    Decline 3 x 6-9
    Pullovers 3 x 8-12
    Cable crossovers 3 x 8-10

I'm feeling a bit of a pump in my arms, but not much anywhere else. Needless to say, I don't think my chest is keeping up with the rest.

I call upon the workout gods to tell me how to reshape my routine.

[KEFE]Take No-Xplode.....Mad pumps during workout son [/KEFE]

Drop the cable crossovers.....drop the pullovers or move them to back day. Drop the decline and add in some dumbell work. If you don't feel a pump add in some weight.....Change it up. Your body adapts to everything. If you keep doing the same weight of the same exercises in the same rep range week after week you are not going to get a "pump"

Too much volume. Pump means nothing. Squat and deadlift. The end.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Keep the first two exercises, dump the rest. Add another set to each. Use dumbells if necessary and us super strict form on all but the last one or two reps.

Forget about the pump; it feels good but doesn't mean sh!t.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Joshua
    Keep the first two exercises, dump the rest. Add another set to each. Use dumbells if necessary and us super strict form on all but the last one or two reps.

Forget about the pump; it feels good but doesn't mean sh!t.
    Note that that doesn't mean use crappy form on the last reps. Good form keeps you out of things like arm slings and surgery.

yeah, drop everything except bench and incline. You will probably have much improved results if you do this

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    Too much volume. Pump means nothing. Squat and deadlift. The end.
    Everyone says "pump means nothing," but that's a REALLY bold statement..

If the guy's not getting much of a pump, then something's probably wrong. Pump may not be an indicator of hypertrophy, but it's an indicator of work. If he's repping 3 sets of 6-9 reps with too low a weight, it could be a reason for no pump. If he's chatting between sets, the pump will be minimal, etc etc etc..

What kind of weight are you using? How does that weight compare to your one rep max? How long are you resting between sets and movement?

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

If you are feeling it more in the arms than your chest, especially with that much freaking volume, you need to reevaluate your form and/or rest times.

Like the others said though, the pump isn't really an indicator of much. If you are mainly lifting for the pump, you'll fall well short of your goals. If you want the pump though, moderate weight for 8-12 reps of very strict form, full contraction of the muscle through the ROM, and heavy stretching in between. You'll get the pump but will it be worth it?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

overtraining
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

The hell is "pump"?

Feeling a pump in my arms meant during my arm workout. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm lifting to failure or not less than one rep short of it. I'm resting no longer than 90 seconds between sets.

I'm only concerned about a pump because I'm not feeling it in my chest and it's lagging.

Quote Originally Posted by nhlfan
    overtraining

Don't think so.

Ive never experienced a pump in my life but that doesnt mean you wont progress. Dont worry to much about it because it doesnt mean you arent improving, I think high reps can get it going though

im reading a book about the opt(optimum preformance training) program. I got a really good tip about getting a good pump going, after you are done with whatever heavy weight you are going , immediately do that excersize with very little weight about 10 reps. Example: After squating, immediatetly do 10 squat jumps.
    CONSISTANT EFFORT is more important than any formula for success

Do really wide bench to failure then put the weight down and pump and your max again then put down the weight and pump out your max again. If that doesnt pump your chest i dont know what will. Maybe focus mroe on your form or go mroe slowly? Tried DB Flyes?
    You can't flex cardio

Quote Originally Posted by karsel
    Do really wide bench to failure then put the weight down and pump and your max again then put down the weight and pump out your max again. If that doesnt pump your chest i dont know what will. Maybe focus mroe on your form or go mroe slowly? Tried DB Flyes?
    Am I the only one who didn't understand this?

Working in the rep 6-8 rep range I wouldn't expect much of a pump... While I was doing 5x5's I didn't ever get a pump... But now that I'm working some stuff in the 10-15 rep range I get a HYOGE pump.

With all that being said, TeH pUmP means nothing... Don't worry about it... Just increase the weight you are lifting.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    If you're seeing progress then you have nothing to worry about. It's when you stop seeing progress that questions should arise.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

i do 3x full body splits a week, ala TBT by Chad Waterbury. I do chest 3x a week, varying Flat and Inc presses, both dumbell and barbell based on how i feel. I use his recommended rep ranges of one day at 4x5, 2nd day at 4x8 and last day at 3x15. I never feel a pump, except on my last 3x15 day, and my bench has gone up 35 lbs in little over a month. If you are seeing results, stick with it. The pump doesnt mean anything. If you want a pump, go do a bunch of push ups or something.

Cut your rest intervals down between sets. Practice slow proper form. After your sets, try squeezing/flexing your chest for 30 secs... And like everyone else said, cut down your chest routine, too much work. Do Flat and Incline, thats all.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

deagle:glock::mass:tone
    what i do is to MAKE SURE that i only have a minute rest MAX between sets, and i also go down VERY slow (about 3 seconds going down) on chest for example

i thought my rest periods werent too long, i would stop, rest for a few seconds, get some water, get back, sit, prepare, lift.... turns out this took between 3 and 4 minutes. so now i finish, and either immediately get a quick sip of water and sti back down, or don't even get off the bench at all. also, sometimes there isnt time for your partner to go in between your sets, but since you will be knocking them out so rapidly, you can do 3 sets, then he 3 and it will probably take the same amount of time
    i don't deserve a sig until i gain some damn WEIGHT