Thread: Maximizing weight loss/Minimizing muscle loss

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Maximizing weight loss/Minimizing muscle loss

I'm officially 82 kg/14 % Body fat/6ft tall/22 years old/ Maintenance calories are 2200. I work out 3 times a week at 6am in the gym . My average work out involves 4 sets in the 10-12 rep range, using moderate weights at around 60 % intensity. Normally I work on one muscle group for an hour, and I try and promote muscle fatigue.

I'm a Martial artist, and train in Wu Shu Kwan Kung fu 4 times a week, which is very cardio based. This is where my cardio comes from. Occasionally I will get up at 6am and do 30 minutes of HIIT in the gym (very rarely though).

3 weeks ago I was at 15 % BF and I weighed 85 kg. According to the body scan read out, I've lost 2 kg of muscle, which I know has to be expected, but I'm not happy about this. I've been told I need to up my protein intake. I also plan on starting to lower the reps in the weights and increase the weight, to counter this muscle loss.

My main concern now is my diet. I want to stay on a bare minimum cut, but I don't want to loose gobs of muscle. What do you suggest I eat ?

I'm planning on having :

Breakfast : 2 non fat yogurts/ Protein shake with chopped banana.

Midmorning snack : 1 non fat yogurt

Lunch: Large stuffed Chicken breast (peppers and cheese) very small salad

Mid afternoon snack:1 non fat yogurt

Late afternoon snack: 1 non fat yogurt

Dinner (around 10 pm after MA class): Protein shake with Creatine.

I'm trying to have a high protein diet, with few carbs just until I get my BF % down.My aim is to get to 10 % bf and then bulk hard with heavy lifting, to build large muscle mass. Any suggestions ? I want to bulk from being lean. My only concern at the moment, is maintaining muscle and loosing bf % mass quicker. So I can start a real bodybuilding program.

Banned
    I'm not a diet expert by an stretch but that is not going to be enough calories. Track your diet on www.fitday.com. This will tell you how much protein/carbs/fat is in your diet. Also, check out Built's guide to cutting. She might even post on this very thread! <nudges built>

As your diet is right now, you are most likely getting less than 1g protein per pound of bodyweight....not a good thing! Just remember that if you aren't eating enough you WILL lose muscle.

Wannabebig Member
    I don't mind losing a little muscle, as long as I get my BF % down to 10 %.
    Since I'm going to build all that muscle back when I go on a bulk/heavy weights program.

Quote Originally Posted by roguetheory
    Since I'm going to build all that muscle back when I go on a bulk/heavy weights program.

If you gain it back that quick you will gain a lot of fat as well. Might as well try to maintain lean mass while cutting now. Putting on lean mass without fat is never easy.
    Bench - 315*1 Goal 325
    Squat - 275*4 ATF Est 1RM = 300 Goal 310
    Deadlift - 405 x3 Est 1RM = 429 Goal 455

Goal by 6/1 1010

I just started doing real squats and deadlifts about a month ago so hopefully these will grow quickly.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...ner=JaCelica2k

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78791

Banned
    With that little food, it won't be a little muscle. Also, why waste what you already have?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing
    With that little food, it won't be a little muscle. Also, why waste what you already have?
    Ok, I just calculated my daily intake. It comes to 1800 calories. Thats 500 knocked off my maintanence calories. Will that work well with my current plan ?

Banned
    Ok, I just calculated my daily intake. It comes to 1800 calories. Thats 500 knocked off my maintanence calories. Will that work well with my current plan ?
    Post the macro breakdown (protein, carbs, fats) and you will get better answers. I'm not sure, but that still seems kind of low. Can someone else point this dude(ette) in the right direction?

IMHO you need a bit more calories and up your protein to about 300g. I would not sacrifice protein intake in any case. I thinkg you'd loose quite a lot of muscle otherwise.
    Training Journal
    3/27/06 - 150lb, 17.8% BF
    8/23/06 - 153lb, N/A BF

Lifts and PRs
    Dead 215x4 (4/24/06), 255x1 (5/22/06), 295x1 (8/23/06), 315x1 (11/24/06)
    Squat 185x4 (4/19/06), 235x3 (5/31/06), 275x1 (8/21/06), 315x1 (10/25/06)
    Bench 135x5 (4/24/06), 160x3 (5/22/06), 145x3 (8/23/06)

"Deadlift is like my girlfriend. She pisses me off at times, but i still love her." - DNL

BSG Season 3 - 10/6/06