Thread: Some good questions (imho)

Wannabebig Member

Some good questions (imho)

I want to start following WBB#1 but I have a few questions. Hopefully you guys know some of these answers. I would think these are pretty good questions that other's might have as well (at least some of the questions maybe). Any answers to any questions would be appreciated.

1) If deadlifting is so hard on your central nervous system, is it really a good idea to deadlift on both day-1 and sl-deadlift on day-3 of the routine? I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't deadlift too often since you need to recover before going at it again. And aren't the hack-squats on day-3 practically a deadlift. The exrx.net example shows a similar-to-deadlift move done with the barbell behind the lifter.

2) I'm 6'2" so my back's form is horrible in the beginning part of a deadlift motion. Would rack-pulls be better since they would basically be a deadlift that starts higher off the ground. What's worse is I don't even know if I even am capable of doing a barbell hack-squat yet. I hope I can but I might have to use the hack-squat machine since I'm somewhat tall and not very flexible.

3) Is doing chest and back on the same day really a good idea? They both seem like very big muscle groups (2nd and 3rd largest, only smaller than legs) and might be better done on seperate days. I'm going to try WBB#1 the way it is anyways since it seems to be doing good for everyone but I just wanted to point out a doubt in my mind.

4) I feel like I want to lift more often than the routine allows, is 4 days of rest per week really going to help recovery or might 3 days of rest be enough? With 3 days of rest, each exercise will still be 6 days apart.

5) Are there any negative effects to using a dumbell press instead of a barbell bench press? I'd feel more comfortable with dumbells since I workout alone and usually won't have a spotter. I do want to have the most effective workout so if there's a good reason to use the barbell I'll use it but otherwise I'll go with the dumbells.

6) I have lots of body fat (23%) and a slow metabolism, and I really want to put on muscle weight to boost my metabolism a bit. From what I know, less weight and more reps will help me achieve this. Maybe I should aim for 12-15 reps instead of 6-8? Any suggestions?

7) Also, from what I know, I shouldn't rest too long between sets to gain muscle mass. Is this accurate? If I don't rest long enough I probably won't be able to complete the same amount or reps right? Is that right or should the weight be lower?

8) Chinups... overhand or underhand?

9) Warmup sets beneficial or do they hinder? If beneficial, how much weight is good and how many reps should be done?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. I didn't expect to type out so many but I'm really psyched about getting into shape and want to start off right. I'm really glad I found this board. Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated.
    Height: 6'2"
    Weight 4/27/06: 222lbs, 23%bf
    Current Goal: 220lbs, 15%bf

Quote Originally Posted by jimdab
    1) If deadlifting is so hard on your central nervous system, is it really a good idea to deadlift on both day-1 and sl-deadlift on day-3 of the routine? I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't deadlift too often since you need to recover before going at it again. And aren't the hack-squats on day-3 practically a deadlift. The exrx.net example shows a similar-to-deadlift move done with the barbell behind the lifter.
    It won't kill you unless you are going balls-to-the-wall everytime. If your other exercises start to lag, back off.
    2) I'm 6'2" so my back's form is horrible in the beginning part of a deadlift motion. Would rack-pulls be better since they would basically be a deadlift that starts higher off the ground. What's worse is I don't even know if I even am capable of doing a barbell hack-squat yet. I hope I can but I might have to use the hack-squat machine since I'm somewhat tall and not very flexible.
    Rack pulls would not be better. It's a totally different exercise for most people because most people start a rack pull with a lot more leg than they would be using for a regular DL. Up to you to make a substitution though.
    3) Is doing chest and back on the same day really a good idea?
    Not a bad idea.
    4) I feel like I want to lift more often than the routine allows, is 4 days of rest per week really going to help recovery or might 3 days of rest be enough? With 3 days of rest, each exercise will still be 6 days apart.
    I would do try any routine or system as is first. Later, make modifications as you start to learn what works and doesn't work for you.
    5) Are there any negative effects to using a dumbell press instead of a barbell bench press?
    Switch to DBs if you must.
    6) I have lots of body fat (23%) and a slow metabolism, and I really want to put on muscle weight to boost my metabolism a bit. From what I know, less weight and more reps will help me achieve this. Maybe I should aim for 12-15 reps instead of 6-8? Any suggestions?
    Stick with the suggested reps. Higher reps will not burn fat.
    7) Also, from what I know, I shouldn't rest too long between sets to gain muscle mass. Is this accurate? If I don't rest long enough I probably won't be able to complete the same amount or reps right? Is that right or should the weight be lower?
    Get enough rest inbetween sets - generally, you want to be well rested for each set. There are other programs that limit rest periods, but WBB is not one of them.
    8) Chinups... overhand or underhand?
    Up to you.
    9) Warmup sets beneficial or do they hinder? If beneficial, how much weight is good and how many reps should be done?
    Beneficial. Depends on your strength and experience. Do enough but not too much that it makes you weaker on your work sets.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the reply Sensei. For the #2 question, I'll probably try to figure out a way to start the deadlift just *slightly* higher by stacking some weights on the ground and placing the barbell on top of those. I want to get as much motion as I can but I just want to skip the first few inches.

For a few other questions I'm still pretty unsure.

5) So doing a dumbell press instead of a bench press has no negatives when it comes to gaining muscle/strength?

6) I know higher reps won't burn fat but I thought higher reps will produce more mass, while lower reps will produce more strength with not so much mass.

7) Same deal with resting between sets. I remember reading somewhere that resting less helps build more mass, while resting more helps build more strength/not so much mass.

9) How much should I do when warming up? 50% of planned lift, 6 reps maybe?

Thanks again.
    Height: 6'2"
    Weight 4/27/06: 222lbs, 23%bf
    Current Goal: 220lbs, 15%bf

5) So doing a dumbell press instead of a bench press has no negatives when it comes to gaining muscle/strength?

6) I know higher reps won't burn fat but I thought higher reps will produce more mass, while lower reps will produce more strength with not so much mass.

7) Same deal with resting between sets. I remember reading somewhere that resting less helps build more mass, while resting more helps build more strength/not so much mass.

The barbell bench press allows you to use more weight than dumbells, which leads to greater stress to the muscles being worked, and potentially better mass gains. What you sacrifice is the range of motion and strengh increases to your stabilizer muscles.

Eating more will produce more mass, and eating less will help you loose fat. The amount of time doing a set regardless of rep scheme will burn negligible amounts of fat. A rep range of 6-8 is generally recommended for size and strength. Thea fat burning is a result of raising your metabolism for the next 24-36 hours.
    Move heavy weight, eat, sleep, repeat.
    Geniuses make complicated scenarios simple, morons take simple concepts and complicate them.

Well, you are limited by what you can get into position with - most people will be able to barbell bench press quite a bit more than w. DBs because it's a bar and also because racking and unracking the weight is a lot less of a struggle. Getting to the point - No, but if you want to get better at barbell bench press, you should do barbell bench press.

Mass and cuts are more a function of diet than anything else.
    Do enough that you are warm and physically/psychologically prepared for the work sets. Don't do so much that you can't put out your best effort on your work sets.
    I have no idea what your training numbers are like, but for example, if you were going to be doing sets of 5 with 135lbs for your working sets, you might warm-up w. the following:
    bar x 10 x 2sets
    75lbs x 5
    95lbs x 5
    115lbs x 3
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/