Thread: smith press machine

Wannabebig Member

smith press machine

hey does anybody know if workin out on a smith press machine for benching and squatting has any advantages or advantages over doing the workouts on seperate machines? the one at my gym has the bar locked in on a track, so it cant tip or anything. also, what are some good ways to get your %bf down?

There was just a thread on this..

Smith < Freeweight

You know, sometimes I wish the Smith had never been invented. I wouldn't do anything in that waste of engineering contraption.

its machines like the smith machine which cause tragic accidents like the one i posted yesterday!
    People think they can free weights bench what they can machine bench. Its a whole different ball game!
    You have all the pressure and arkwardness taken off with machines. But on free weights all the arkwardness is there. I hate mchine benches, sqauts and all of that. Itso k if thats all your using, and if you know that you wont be able to max the same on a barbell freely.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

no mass for the lazzy ass kartwheel's Avatar
    hey man, i'll use a smith for a heavy benching session if my workout partner isn't there. there are some advantages to it like that. another is learning form. if your new to an exercise, it balances the weight better for you, yet still allowing you to learn/correct form before, saying free weight squats. every gym should have one.

The only thing I ever use the smith for is for calf raises. Even if you don't have a spotter, it's better to just use a power rack and set the pins where you need them. At least you'll still be balancing the weight while having a safety net.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Wannabebig Member
    i use the smith machine for incline bench if i dont have a spotter...it is good to use for improvement on form if you have a problem of using your back or what not with the free weights...nothing wrong with using the smith machine you just need to figure out the weight difference for yourself...i usually add 40 lbs. or more to whatever i normally do with free weight bench...

another is learning form.
    Using a smith machine for bench is probably the worst way to learn form, I would know.

I use the Smith Machine for BB shrugs, I tired it a couple weeks ago and I love the feeling. With a regular BB I would have a tendency to slide up and down my legs as I shruged and it annoyed me.
    Last edited by gator; 05-01-2006 at 02:26 PM.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    I used to use the Smith machine but realized pretty quickly that bouncing between it and free weights was a bad idea. I focused on free weights and never looked back. I'm still not lifting as much as I think I should be because my stabilizers had to catch up.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by kartwheel
    hey man, i'll use a smith for a heavy benching session if my workout partner isn't there. there are some advantages to it like that. another is learning form. if your new to an exercise, it balances the weight better for you, yet still allowing you to learn/correct form before, saying free weight squats. every gym should have one.
    Come ON! using the smith to learn form? on squats too? That is ... well I don't know man.

I don't think the SMith really help on learning or improving form at all, may be for people with injury. Because the bar is in a fix range of motion, your body has to adjust to compensate for it. take squat for example, (well for the one at my gym at least), one has to lean back. So you're basically pushing up and back instead of up, and i don't think this translate into a real squat.
    Last edited by DNL; 05-01-2006 at 05:38 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Smith machines are bad on everything EXCEPT squats. I always warm up with the smith machine before hitting free weights because it helps with my form like keeping your back straight I also believe every gym should have one. BUT if your experienced i recommend using free weights.

I view squats as primarily a posterior builder. I guess for those of you that look to squats for quad development the smith could be beneficial. All I can say is if you really want to put on real size and serious strength, first think posterior. As your overall weight capacity increases your quads will be there.

Occupational Hypnomania
    Calf raises and chinups I believe are the only things worth doing on a smith machine.

using a smith maching is actually more dangerous than using a bb for bench without a spotter. i mean think about it.. if you use a bb and you get the bar down to your chest.... wheich is usually where your sticking points will be..... and you cant get it back up you can lower it on your chest and roll it down.. or even not use locks and tip it one way or another.... if you have it on the smith machine and cant get it back up all you can do is set it down on yourself and lay there... you cant tip it.. you cant roll it...and if you couldnt press it up in your set.. i imagine it will be a while before you have the energy to press it straight off your body..

if you dont have a spotter and your worried about it then use dumb bells.. not a smith machine
    Last edited by brian136; 05-01-2006 at 11:38 PM.

I also hate smith machine and it makes me laugh when you see people putting alot of weight on and benching on these especially when they dont even come all the way down. Then when these people try using free weights they have to drop atleast 30% from what they were doing on the smith
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattvjax
    i use the smith machine for incline bench if i dont have a spotter...it is good to use for improvement on form if you have a problem of using your back or what not with the free weights...nothing wrong with using the smith machine you just need to figure out the weight difference for yourself...i usually add 40 lbs. or more to whatever i normally do with free weight bench...
    the is EXACTLY what I used it for today, and the weight u added was EXACTLY what i added today :P
    great minds aye :P

Wannabebig Member
    i started using the smith machine for shoulder press and flat bench in january after i suffered a pinched nerve in my shoulder, its the only way now i can get a good workout now, using bb or free weights and trying to go heavy, my shoulder acts up immediately

yea i was thinking this yesterday in my workout.

Basically my gym is supported by the government so basically a sh*te gym. not bad but not like Next Gen or LA Fitness or those big corporate gyms. But all they have is a smith so all my compounds are done here (bench, squats, deads), but i would be a bit shakey moving onto free weights! Even tho i want to, but i look at vids of ppl bench and squat loads! man that looks scarey!!
    Stan: Here we go -- mac and cheese. (Reads box) "Boil water." What am I, a chemist?