Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Journey to 180

Journey to 180

Third time's a charm - I believe this is my third attempt at a journal. I hadn't kept up with my old journal the past couple months because i didn't believe i was worthy of a journal with my slacking and undedicated diet. I kept working out, but my diet wasn't on track, and my weights weren't going anywhere considering i was on a small cut. I planned to get my abs for the summer, since i've never had them before. I got down to 154lbs, with my abs more visible than ever. I then realized i was an idiot and remembered how i never cared about abs anyways. That was a waste of time, though i only lost around 4 lbs of fat, so i guess it didn't really hurt me.

Right now i'm at 5'9 157lbs (naked - as of yesterday). I've been lifting for just over a year - started at 130lbs. My bodyfat is fairly low. I'm not an expert but i would guess around 10%. When flexed, my top two abs are fairly visible. A bulk is definitely in order. I honestly feel more dedicated than i've ever felt before. My workouts are intense, and my diet is completely on track. I'm taking in 4,000 calories a day and loving every bit of it. My goal is to bulk up to around 180, depending on how fast i gain the weight and how much fat i put on in the process.

The bodybuilding routine that i'm starting is a variation of a routine that Canadian Crippler made -

Upper
    Flat BB Bench - 5x5
    Chinups - 3x6
    Tbars - 2x8
    CGBP - 2x8
    DB Flies - 2 x 10

Lower + Delts
    Deads - Work up to one or two real heavy sets
    Leg Press - 3x8
    Leg Curls - 2x8
    Calves - 3x10
    Seated DB Press - 2x8

Upper
    BB Rows - 5x5
    Incline DB Bench - 3x6
    Chinups - 2x8
    Skulls - 2x8
    DB Flies - 2x10

Lower + Delts
    ATF Squat - 5x5
    SLDL - 2x6
    Lunges - 3x8
    Calves - 3x10
    Arnolds - 2x8

I'll likely switch exercises up when i feel like it.

Time to post my workout from today...
    Last edited by pinky8713; 04-30-2006 at 06:20 PM.

Sounds good man lookin forward to seein some sick progress.

Sunday, April 30, 2006 - Lower + Delts

Deadlifts
    135 x 8
    185 x 5
    225 x 3
    275 x 1
    300 x 6

Read below ...

BB Lunges
    135 x 8
    155 x 8
    155 x 10

First time doing lunges in ages. Felt great.

Leg Curls
    90 x 8
    100 x 10
    100 x 10

Arnolds
    5 x 44s
    8 x 54s
    7 x 54s
    6 x 54s

Arnolds are feeling freaking great. I definitely wanna do some 60s real soon.

Standing Calf Raises
    12 x 225
    12 x 225
    12 x 225

BB Shrugs
    10 x 185
    10 x 185

5 minutes after my workout i decided that i want to start throwing a couple shrugs in here and there. I want my traps to gain some nice size during this bulk, so i went back and did them.

Overall

This was kind of a lousy workout to start my journal with. It was a decent workout, but doing the deads was a pain in the ass. My barbell here at home is bent badly. It didn't effect the lighter sets of deads, but on the 300 (which is all my weight), the bar kept trying to roll in my hands. I'm definitely buying a new barbell and hopefully some more 45s so i can deadlift more weight. I hope to get this stuff tomorrow. Next weeks goal for deads, when i can use my full potential, is something like 335 x 6.

Tomorrows a rest day.
    Last edited by pinky8713; 04-30-2006 at 06:38 PM.

Kevin - For sure man. I've been bulking for a week now and my diet has been perfect. This is gonna be a sick run.

And when i get my new barbell, hopefully tomorrow, i'll never have nowhere to lift...which is the problem i've been having lately.

I plan to get some pics up soon too. I *might* take a shot or two tonight if i get a chance.

Third time is a charm or so I've heard, but I do believe it to be so - you should do great!!

Thanks for the motivation CoCoa.

Today was an off day, but i stayed active with my boxing.

Yesterdays calorie total was 4200, and todays will be about the same. Last Monday I weighed in at 154, Saturday at 157, today i'm at 158. I'm so pumped to be bulking again. Eating is so much easier now too. I have no doubt in my mind that i could down over 5,000 calories a day easy, but i don't want to take it TOO fast.

Tomorrow is an upper day. Should put up some nice numbers with my lifts. Can't wait.

Tuesday, May 2, 2006

Upper Day

BB Bench
    warmups
    185 x 5
    185 x 5
    185 x 5
    185 x 5
    185 x 5

I'm happy with that for today. At the end of my stupid little cut i couldn't do 185 5 x 5 anymore, but now i can again. Next week i'm for sure doing 190 5 x 5, and i hope to do 195 the next week.

Chinups
    BW+25 x 10 PR
    BW+25 x 6
    BW+25 x 6

Good stuff.

CGBP
    155 x 6
    155 x 6
    155 x 5

BB Rows
    135 x 8
    175 x 6
    175 x 6

Straight Bar Curls
    85 x 10

Hammers
    44s x 8
    44s x 6

Light DB Flies
    34s x 10
    34s x 10

Overall

Good workout. I still hate benching. I don't know, it just doesn't feel good. Back work is feeling great though. I'm going to bed after i eat one last thing. I took in 4,000 calories again today. Diet is still on track and will stay that way.

I'm working on uploading a 10 second video that i took today. I like a short vid better than pics... So i'll post that here in the morning.
    Last edited by pinky8713; 05-03-2006 at 02:42 AM.

Good plan with the bench, just raise up 5lbs at a time - did fine 5 x 5's with 185...this re-starts it, don't stop bro.

No doubt bro, no stoppin' here.

Off day today. I'm pretty sore from yesterdays upper body session. My pecs, tri's, and especially my lats from those heavy chinups are feeling damn good today. Good stuff, i love it.

Yesterdays cals - 4,000
    Days in a row diet has been on track (4k cals) - At least the past week, 7

I'm debating wether or not i should bump up the calories a little more. I don't want to put on much fat, but i'm craving faster gains haha. I think i can get away with bumping my calories up to 4500.

Here's a video from yesterday that i'm going to throw in here. I don't flex at all in it, but the video definitely shows what i'm lookin' like nowadays.
    http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y43...t=000_0018.flv

We'll see what I look like when i hit 170, and then when i nail 180.
    Last edited by pinky8713; 05-04-2006 at 12:08 AM.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Not quite as good as the other vids, but it'll do.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Hahahhahaha

I just can't top those other vids man. Too funny.

Your enthusiiasm inspires me man!! And im enthusiastic about lifting! I wish you all the best!!
    Nice max on the deadlift you have at your bodyweight!!
    2.2 x BW. Awesome! I wanna see 3 x BW by the end of the year haha

Best regards
    Mike
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 05-04-2006 at 03:04 AM.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Haha thanks for stopping by man. I don't know about a three times my bodyweight dead this year, but i definitely plan to get 4 plates per side! Thanks for the motivation..

I really need to get to sleep. I'm gonna finish this bowl of ice cream and get some sleep. Thank god for hardcore bulking, this ice cream is freaking awesome.

Lookin strong man, keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by pinky8713
    Haha thanks for stopping by man. I don't know about a three times my bodyweight dead this year, but i definitely plan to get 4 plates per side! Thanks for the motivation..

I really need to get to sleep. I'm gonna finish this bowl of ice cream and get some sleep. Thank god for hardcore bulking, this ice cream is freaking awesome.
    Not a problem! Sleep after ice cream? How u manage that? lol. Im always hyper and full of sugar after ice cream. (or is it low sugar ice cream)

Well ok. a 2.5 x BW deadlift then.

Thats a 400lb deadlift.Your at 360. I wrekcon if you really rocket yourself, you'll be hitting that 400 deadlift by christmas!
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 05-04-2006 at 03:10 PM.
    My Journal

That definitely was not low sugar ice cream haha. It was so late at night though.. I was so tired it didn't matter.

Anyways, thing is, by christmas i'm not going to be 160lbs anymore. It'll be more like around 180. But either way, no doubt my dead will be over 400 by christmas.

Yesterdays cals - 4000
    Days in a row diet has been on track - 8

I really think i'm going to bump up my calories to 4500 now. Still debating, but i think i'm going to.

I think today is going to be a rest day. My muscles have been more sore and have been staying sore longer than normal lately since i just got back going hardcore again... so i've had to take more rest days than my routine calls for. My lower body squat workout will be today or tomorrow. I'm thinking tomorrow, but i might get a huge urge to lift sometime today and say f*ck it, and go squat. Hah.
    Last edited by pinky8713; 05-04-2006 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pinky8713
    That definitely was not low sugar ice cream haha. It was so late at night though.. I was so tired it didn't matter.

Anyways, thing is, by christmas i'm not going to be 160lbs anymore. It'll be more like around 180. But either way, no doubt my dead will be over 400 by christmas.
    ahhh. Yes. Well, i wanna see that 3 x BW Deadlift before you die! OK? :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh
    My Journal

Your dead will be over 405 by the time summer is up im sure of it.

Mike - Will do.

Kevin - F*ckin' right my friend.

Thursday, May 4, 2006

Squats
    Bunch of 135 sets messing around with form.
    185 x 5 (Ass to Floor)
    215 x 5 (ATF)
    205 x 5 (ATF)
    205 x 5 (ATF)
    205 x 5 (ATF)

First time doing ATF in a long time, felt great.

Arnolds
    44s x 6
    64s x 2
    54s x 9 PR
    54s x 8

I wanted to do 60s but i'm missing a 3lb weight for my DB's so i can't.. so i said screw it, and did 64s...i did two, very difficult, reps and said "bad idea" and stopped lol...the PR is only a one rep PR, but it's after the 64s too, so i'll take it.

SLDL's
    135 x 8
    205 x 5
    255 x 8
    275 x 8 PR

Haven't done these in FOREVER, but i'm definitely going to be doing them again. Form was ace.

Standing Calf Raises
    235 x 12
    235 x 12
    235 x 12

I was going to take today off, but i said screw it. Had a pretty damn good workout too. I haven't done ATF squats and SLDL's in a while, but my form felt dead on. Arnolds felt good as always too..i'm gonna have to keep at the 54s for another session or two then i'll bring out the 64s for reps. Can't wait.

I took some videos today too of my form and such. I think i'm going to post up a squatting video in an hour or two to get my form critiqued.

I'm gonna bump up my calories to 4500 tonight. I'm sick of this 4,000 bs. Haha.

One last thing - I took another shot at GM's after my squats today, but i just wasn't feeling it. Hey kevin, any chance you want to take a vid of some GM's and post it up so i can check it out? I'd like to add them to my routine, but i'd also like to feel comfortable with them. You could post the video in your thread too if you wanted.. Let me know brah.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y43...SquatVideo.flv

This is a squat video of me. It's only real light weight. The first four reps are what i thought was parallel, and the last four reps are ATF style. Is there anything you guys think i should do to help out my form? Any critiques are welcome.

I also took a video with 215 on the bar, but i'm on dial up and it takes 45mins to upload a video, so i don't have it up right now. Honestly, my form is identical to the light weight video.

And here's a bench form video for the hell of it. This was from yesterday. Again, just a light weight video since i decided to take a video after my heavy 5 x 5 benching..
    http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y43...=000_0017n.flv

I've just been making sure my form is good with these vids. Any critiques welcome.
    Last edited by pinky8713; 05-04-2006 at 09:41 PM.

Wow, you really are a dumbass. You have your rack facing backwards, lmao!

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

That's all you could possibly contribute to my journal of awesomeness Mitch!!!!! wtf!

It's just a cheesy squat rack on my cheesy bench dude. It goes no other way. There is no backwards or forwards. That's it. But thanks, dumbass.

Currently, this is how you squat (you are on the left of it)

|
    |BAR
    |___

This is how it should be:

----|
    BAR-|
    ____|
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 05-04-2006 at 09:54 PM.

Gimme a minute, i'm trying to understand wtf you drew. Haha.

I don't know if i understand your pictures..

From the video i'm standing on the left side. Are you trying to say i should be on the right side?