Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 46 of 46

Thread: Bench Advice

  1. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing
    and you are ****ing lucky to get 140 lbs up in 4 months. Thats 35 lbs per month. Thats 8.75 lbs per week. Thats unheard of for that long of a time period, especially for banch press.
    maybe Im a wonderkid, maybe Im superman. jk. I went back and looked at my notebook today. january 19, when I started keeping track, I did 175 X 7,6,5.
    May 1, I did 275 X 7,6,5. between jan 1, when I started and jan 19 I went from 135 to 175

    I really believe in the heavy weights/medium reps/3 sets system. I looked at all my lifts and they have ALL gotten significantly better. my skull crusher went from 50 to 105, my squat from 145 to 225, deadlift from like 180 to 275.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    546
    So in 4 months your bench went up more than both your squat and deadlift, even if you aren't lying you need to get a new routine and work on those deads and squats.

  3. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by gator
    So in 4 months your bench went up more than both your squat and deadlift, even if you aren't lying you need to get a new routine and work on those deads and squats.
    ok,thanks. I'm sure you know best so i'll do just as you say.

  4. #29
    Senior Member KevinStarke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Posts
    7,413
    Somethings not right if you go from 135 for reps to 275 for reps on bench but your squat is only at 225 and dead at 275... Are you "reps" half reps or something? Im just baffled here because i've been training for years and while i've had spurts of strength inrease where my bench has gone up 20-30 lbs in a couple months I dont see +140 lbs to be possible in 4 months.
    Last edited by KevinStarke; 05-03-2006 at 11:20 AM.

  5. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    Somethings not right if you go from 135 for reps to 275 for reps on bench but your squat is only at 225 and dead at 275... Are you "reps" half reps or something? Im just baffled here because i've been training for years and while i've had spurts of strength inrease where my bench has gone up 20-30 lbs in a couple months I dont see +140 lbs to be possible in 4 months.
    I understand that. I did not know about the benefits of squats or deads when I started so I did not start working those till about a month in. add that to the fact that I am 6'5" and you can understand why my squat is low.

  6. #31
    TJW Keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    3,238
    Quote Originally Posted by WildCard
    maybe Im a wonderkid, maybe Im superman.
    I knew it! 140lb increase on bench in 4 months without gear or lying/exadurating...I knew you were superman.

  7. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    I knew it! 140lb increase on bench in 4 months without gear or lying/exadurating...I knew you were superman.
    exadurating??? lol

  8. #33
    Senior Member KevinStarke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Posts
    7,413
    At 6'5" bench would be extremelly difficult for you too, I suggest you sell your method of gaining 140lbs on your bench in 4 months, i'll buy the book.

  9. #34
    HomeYield WillKuenzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    7,769
    I can see somebody going from 135 to 275 in a couple of months. It all depends on the previous workouts, the previous workout experience, tons of other things.

    CNS adaptation, weight gain, previously undertraining, learning to lift with intensity, going from light weight training to heavier training. All of these things could make it entirely possible. Hell, I've had a client put 100lbs on his bench in 2 months. Granted he wasn't do much before that and couldn't even do a push up but if you change things up enough, its entirely possible.

    Granted in saying all that, the squat and deadlift should have gone up too but that's just a classic case of beach muscle lifting.


    **...or it could be a case of degrading ROM. I've seen that happen. "Wow, my bench has gone up 50lbs in the past week, but I don't touch my chest any more."
    Last edited by WillKuenzel; 05-03-2006 at 03:07 PM.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

  10. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    At 6'5" bench would be extremelly difficult for you too, I suggest you sell your method of gaining 140lbs on your bench in 4 months, i'll buy the book.
    one question. Do you keep a notebook?
    I figured out quickly that if I was to measure and make progress I would have to take notes on weight, sets, reps. I was tired of forgetting what I did the last workout and having to basically start all over again. which is why I am amazed at how many people come into the gym without a notebook. Maybe their memory is much better than mine.

    so, if you are looking for a book to buy, I say go buy and empty notebook and start taking notes and writing down your weight/sets/reps. also write down how you feel, if they weight was too much, too little, and what weight you need to do the next round.

    as far as my rountine, I already mentioned most of it in post #26

    -HEAVY WEIGHT
    -MEDIUM REPS (8-5)TO ALMOST FAILURE
    -3 to 4 sets per exercise
    -2 exercises per body part(except back, which is 4)
    -compound movements
    -Each body part only once a week to allow the body to fully recover
    -LOTS OF NOTES
    -DEXTROSE with creatine and l-glutamine pre-workout
    -cardio on off days with one day of full rest per week
    -lots of sleep when you can get it
    -and finally, only one big body part per workout

    pretty standard really. Good luck

  11. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by WildCard
    one question. Do you keep a notebook?
    I figured out quickly that if I was to measure and make progress I would have to take notes on weight, sets, reps. I was tired of forgetting what I did the last workout and having to basically start all over again. which is why I am amazed at how many people come into the gym without a notebook. Maybe their memory is much better than mine.

    so, if you are looking for a book to buy, I say go buy and empty notebook and start taking notes and writing down your weight/sets/reps. also write down how you feel, if they weight was too much, too little, and what weight you need to do the next round.

    as far as my rountine, I already mentioned most of it in post #26

    -HEAVY WEIGHT
    -MEDIUM REPS (8-5)TO ALMOST FAILURE
    -3 to 4 sets per exercise
    -2 exercises per body part(except back, which is 4)
    -compound movements
    -Each body part only once a week to allow the body to fully recover
    -LOTS OF NOTES
    -DEXTROSE with creatine and l-glutamine pre-workout
    -cardio on off days with one day of full rest per week
    -lots of sleep when you can get it
    -and finally, only one big body part per workout

    pretty standard really. Good luck


    :chuckles: You are giving Kevin advice on training?


    Congrats on your bench success. How about posting up a vid. Before/after pics. That is an awesome transformation. Time to get the squats/deads up to par.
    Bench - 315*1 Goal 325
    Squat - 275*4 ATF Est 1RM = 300 Goal 310
    Deadlift - 405 x3 Est 1RM = 429 Goal 455

    Goal by 6/1 1010


    I just started doing real squats and deadlifts about a month ago so hopefully these will grow quickly.

    http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...ner=JaCelica2k

    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78791

  12. #37
    Senior Member KevinStarke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Posts
    7,413
    Haha yah Wildcard I have a journal here actually, "Wandering Weightlifter" if you wanna check it out. I know how to train for strength im just amazed that someone could put 140 lbs on there bench for reps in only 4 months, you must be a real monster. Like HomeYield said though I agree people can go from having pretty much no strength struggling with 45-65 lbs for reps on bench and then with proper training and knowledge gained go up a drastic ammount but breaking the 200 lb barrier for reps is something I didnt consider easy and still dont. Whats your max on bench by the way.
    Last edited by KevinStarke; 05-04-2006 at 09:23 AM.

  13. #38
    Gamer/Lifter
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    2,093
    I've dropped 50 LBs ON RPM max in a month before, I intend on jumping in about 4 months time 60 LBs for my RPM. I think 150 Lbs in 4 months is entirely possible esp if its noob gains. I'm still trying to ride those gains

  14. #39
    Senior Member KevinStarke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Posts
    7,413
    Noob gains dont usually = 275 for reps on bench man, I wish.

  15. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    315
    I dont know what my max is as I have never tried to max out. you seem surprised that I can rep 275. Dont forget I weigh 255lbs. What would be surprising is if I could not rep 275 at my body weight(which, I was pretty weak when I started lifting in january)

    I have no doubt in my mind that in 3-4 months I'll be repping 315 on the three major lifts.

  16. #41
    Senior Member KevinStarke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Posts
    7,413
    I mean im not gonna call you a liar, I have no reason not to believe you. At 255 that does seem reasonable, probably should have found out your weight a little earlier woulda saved time.

  17. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by WildCard
    I dont know what my max is as I have never tried to max out. you seem surprised that I can rep 275. Dont forget I weigh 255lbs. What would be surprising is if I could not rep 275 at my body weight(which, I was pretty weak when I started lifting in january)

    I have no doubt in my mind that in 3-4 months I'll be repping 315 on the three major lifts.
    My question is what was your weight when you were struggling with 135 4 months ago? According to previous training methods, you should be repping about 425 in 4 months. That would be sick. Stay away from the kryptonite.
    Bench - 315*1 Goal 325
    Squat - 275*4 ATF Est 1RM = 300 Goal 310
    Deadlift - 405 x3 Est 1RM = 429 Goal 455

    Goal by 6/1 1010


    I just started doing real squats and deadlifts about a month ago so hopefully these will grow quickly.

    http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...ner=JaCelica2k

    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78791

  18. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    I mean im not gonna call you a liar, I have no reason not to believe you. At 255 that does seem reasonable, probably should have found out your weight a little earlier woulda saved time.
    no worries. here are some pics from this morning. do post a reply. thanks

    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78760

  19. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by JaCelica2k
    My question is what was your weight when you were struggling with 135 4 months ago? According to previous training methods, you should be repping about 425 in 4 months. That would be sick. Stay away from the kryptonite.
    I was 147lbs when I started 4 months ago. I know 425 wont happen because I only went up 20lbs last month but I know that 315 will happen. 425, now that would be a dream

  20. #45
    Hulk Smash! LouPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by WildCard
    I was 147lbs when I started 4 months ago. I know 425 wont happen because I only went up 20lbs last month but I know that 315 will happen. 425, now that would be a dream
    Well hell, if you are doing all of this naturally you are one genetic freak. If I may ask, how old are you?

  21. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPac
    Well hell, if you are doing all of this naturally you are one genetic freak. If I may ask, how old are you?
    my bad, I was 247lbs not 147lbs. sorry. I'm 26

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •