Thread: Need Some Help (Long Post)

Need Some Help (Long Post)

Hello, I haven't posted in awhile but I have still been lurking around these forums. Anways I need some help from some knowledgeable/experienced people on the forum. Im looking to help my mom out with designing a workout routine but she has some problems that have me stumped. I began to run her through the basics, squats, how often etc. But she stopped me and told me she has two problems, first off, she has a torn ligament in her knee which I'm not sure if that would prevent her from squating so I need advice on that, and secondly she has a bulging/desenegrated disc in her lower back. She has been told she is not aloud to do situps and her back also gives her problems from time to time. Her goal is to lose weight, I'm not sure about what her bodyfat level is at but it's fairly high (she's aiming for maybe a 20 lb weight loss) maybe more depending on how this works out. I know all thats based on diet and we've been curently working on that, but she has not exercised in years so she needs to get back in shape. Also the other thing is that she is working out at home not a gym, I have dumbbells, An EZ Curl bar, A treadmill and an exercise ball and decline ab bench, which she cannot use due to her back. So to sum it up, what can she do with her back and knee problems and can she do it at home?

Thanks in advance
    Ryan
    Last edited by ryan9; 05-04-2006 at 08:53 PM.

Banned
    I can just imagine it dude, you friends saying to you

"Hey ryan9, your parents not home?"

You- "Yeah my mom is in the basement doing squats"

LOL , I dont think many normal women really wanna be hitting squats.

If she has a dodgy knee & dodgy back she dont have much options.
    Last edited by Scarecrow; 05-04-2006 at 08:59 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow

LOL , I dont think many normal women really wanna be hitting squats.
    Once they see their squatters ass, they never go back.

To the OP, get a doctor's opinion on what to do with the knee. As for the herniated disk, I think heavy weight on her back is a big no no. Again, ask a doc.
    Instead of heavy barbell squats you could try higher rep low weight exercises. Body weight squats with the ball might work. The ball goes between her back and a wall. She then squats while leaning against the ball. If this is too easy, try doing while holding the dumb bells.
    Lunges are another option. Again, hold dumbells if necessary.

Arm work with the EZ curl bar is pretty straight forward (curls, skull crushers). You could even try shoulder press and bench press, but that may bother her back.

To add some core work without doing situps, try doing regular bench exercises while on the ball. Also, balancing on the ball in various positions is good for the core.

More options are available at the gym. Legs could be more effectively exercises with quad extensions and leg curls.
    There are many alternatives to the standard exercises. Check out www.exrx.net for many more. Make sure she gets a doctors opinion on her knee and back before doing anything. You could also try a sports medicine doctor if you want something more useful than a flat out "no". Also, physiotherapy may be an option.

Hope that helps!

Im not an expert or anything im just a noobie but i would just have her maybe walk a track for a good mile or so or maybe light job and if she dosent want to leave home get a treadmill.

With a bad back and a bad knee theres not many lifts you can do beside upper body lifts and if she just wants to lose weight put her on a good diet a long with some physical activity. This one is a stretch but maybe some Fat burners would help her out.
    Stats

Current(May1st) (June8th) Goals(September 1st)
    Bench 245 -------255-----300(reached 225x6 june 14th)
    Squat 350 -------injured----450
    Deadlift 315 ------injured----370

height 5"11
    weight 185(stay at 185)
    40(tested 4/19/06)4.75

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam
    one is a stretch but maybe some Fat burners would help her out.
    I believe black coffee has been shown to help lose weight (sorry, no sources handy).

Wannabebig Member

Moms workout

I have the same problem.
    My mother is 62, 37% bodyfat, has a knee that makes horrible cracking noises when standing up, a bad back and she has never done any exercise her whole life.
    There is only a few exercises she can do.
    I make her do compound exercises only.

Incline bench press (flat bench hurts her back)
    Close grip pulldown
    E-Z curls
    Shoulder press (with tiny aerobics weights)
    Close grip bench press (incline bench because of back back)
    Then for quads the only safe thing to do is just standing up and sitting back down for 12 reps (3 sets)
    After that I put her on my recumberent bike for 90mins, she used to walk at an incline on the treadmill but she got severe pain in her knee so I bought a recumberent bike that is meant for people with bad knees and lower backs, she has no problems with the bike.

Now I have got her a Reebok step and she doesnt have any problems using that and gets some level of fatigue in her quads on the highest setting.

There has been very gradual progress but she needs to be encouraged constantly, you have to be carefull not to get carried away with how much work you make them do and what intesity you have them work at.
    Knees and lower back are hard to work around without making them worse
    Even leg extensions with no weight on hurts her knees so with an old ladies joints I stick to compound for safety and better strength gains.

Be very carefull with her knee because when my mothers was hurting on the treadmill she stopped all exercise and started to put weight back on until I got the bike. Its very easy for them to lapse and stop everything.
    Even if they get a little bit of pain they see it as an excuse to stop altogether so you have to just be patient.
    I make my mother do weights mon/wed/fri and cardio every day with sunday off.
    If your mother has a sit-down job, like mine, she will have a severe weekness in her deltoid region and that needs to be addressed, the weights my mother is using for shoulder press is barely 1kg and it is a struggle to do 2 sets.
    Consistency is the key, try to keep her motivated and if she is put off by the idea of doing a long cardio session make her do a few 15 minute sessions throughout the day.

I tried my mother on a fat burning supplement and she felt jittery and horrible, so stopped.
    I have thrown the sugar and strawberry jam out and gave her a strict diet that is 1,000 calories less than daily maintenance, aiming to lose 2 lbs per week.
    Green tea is supposed to assist in burning fat, doubt it will make that much difference though.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by phil94k; 05-05-2006 at 01:55 AM.

well just some randoms thoughts:

for the first 2 weeks, do extra light weight and high reps, in the range of 15-20.
    for the next 2 weeks do light weight with rep range of 10-15
    after that you can gradually increase the weight and use 6-10 reps.

may be she can try lunges. can she do body weight squat?

if she dosent want to leave home get a treadmill.
    Already stated that she has a treadmill and has been using it.

and if she just wants to lose weight put her on a good diet
    Also already stated that we are putting her on a diet.

phil94k, my mom is about 20 years younger than that so im hoping she is capable of doing more exercises.

DNL, I'm going to see if she can do bodyweight squats today, and I'll also see about the lunges. Do you have any ideas about getting her core strength up without the ability to do situps?

can she do leg raises and sidebends?

Hey - just getting caught up. Your mom needs a good diet, and a good consult to find out what kind of exercise she can perform. Squats are a nomal movement that everybody should be able to perform, barring injury. We need to see if she can do them in some form.

OP - check your PMs

Phil94 - 1000 cals below maintenance! How many calories does she get now?

Thanks Built I got your PM.

well if the only thing she is looking to do is lose weight, then i would just say to get her on a good healthy cutting diet, with cardio 3-4 days a week. i wouldnt say lifting weights is gonna do a whole lot for her unless she is trying to gain some muscle, which from my understanding she is only trying to lose weight
    20 yrs old
    6'2" 210 lbs
    9% BF
    bench 330 x 2
    squat 415 x 8

once a marine always a marine

Quote Originally Posted by crunkdizzle
    well if the only thing she is looking to do is lose weight, then i would just say to get her on a good healthy cutting diet, with cardio 3-4 days a week. i wouldnt say lifting weights is gonna do a whole lot for her unless she is trying to gain some muscle, which from my understanding she is only trying to lose weight
    Worst possible advice.

Lifting is how you preserve LBM. On a cut, you don't build it.

Diet + cardio and no lifting = less LBM, lowered metabolism, skinny fat body.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Worst possible advice.

Lifting is how you preserve LBM. On a cut, you don't build it.

Diet + cardio and no lifting = less LBM, lowered metabolism, skinny fat body.

my bad, it definatly make sence what your saying
    20 yrs old
    6'2" 210 lbs
    9% BF
    bench 330 x 2
    squat 415 x 8

well i trust your advice lol.. you pretty much know everything, especially you are a lady which can help out this dudes mom because idk much about how women workout

my mom has been trying to loose a few pounds herself, but is unable to do cardio bc she cant run from smoking for over 25 years.. you have any suggestions on that?
    20 yrs old
    6'2" 210 lbs
    9% BF
    bench 330 x 2
    squat 415 x 8

Wannabebig Member

1000kcal deficit

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Phil94 - 1000 cals below maintenance! How many calories does she get now?
    Hi built, Ive worked her daily requirement out as:-

Bodyweight in kg = 87
    x25 = 2175kcal @ rest
    x 1.3 activity level = 2827kcal
    minus 1000kcal = 1827kcal
    As 1lb bodyfat is 3500kcal this should lose 2 lbs a week.

Quote Originally Posted by phil94k
    Hi built, Ive worked her daily requirement out as:-

Bodyweight in kg = 87 (okay, so 190 lbs)
    x25 = 2175kcal @ rest
    x 1.3 activity level = 2827kcal
    minus 1000kcal = 1827kcal
    As 1lb bodyfat is 3500kcal this should lose 2 lbs a week.
    Okay - I cut on higher than this, but not much.

Maint cals are not a calculation - they're a measurement.

How have you structured her diet?

Edited to add: damned nice of you to do this for your mummy.

Wannabebig Member
    65% mostly starchy carbs
    20% protein
    15% un-saturated fats

I give her flax seed oil and CLA. Im soon to knock 5% off her carbs and fats.

carbs seem a bit high IMO.

65% mostly starchy carbs
    20% protein
    15% un-saturated fats

I give her flax seed oil and CLA. Im soon to knock 5% off her carbs and fats.

Ratio approaches are really pointless - and the protein and fat are FAR too low.

Try something more like this:

150g each protein and carb, 75g fat

She'll be MUCH more comfortable, and the protein and fat will support her LBM, making it easier for her to drop fat instead of muscle.

Wannabebig Member
    The original way I worked it out was to use RMR as the ratio (as in the reply earlier) then use protein as the ratio at 2g per kg bodyweight, then workout the mid-ranges by adding the two together and dividing by two, then I would subtract the deficit to give the result. That time I had the protien split % higher and it worked out at about 145g protein.
    I changed it because I thought a basic healthly split diet would be easier for when she is at work and is buying stuff from the canteen because I was sick of making food and preparing stuff for her to take to work.

The original way I worked it out was to use RMR as the ratio (as in the reply earlier) then use protein as the ratio at 2g per kg bodyweight, then workout the mid-ranges by adding the two together and dividing by two, then I would subtract the deficit to give the result. That time I had the protien split % higher and it worked out at about 145g protein.
    I changed it because I thought a basic healthly split diet would be easier for when she is at work and is buying stuff from the canteen because I was sick of making food and preparing stuff for her to take to work.
    I hear you - but the fats are way too low and the protein is way too low to be healthy.

Protein should be no lower than a gram per pound LBM (go by her goal weight, or even 80% of her goal weight) and fats half that to support her LBM on a cut.

So, for example, if her goal weight is 150, 80% of this is 120. So 120g protein, 60g fat are the minimums.