Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench Advice

Gamer/Lifter

Bench Advice

IDK if I'm doing my bench wrong, or if my gym has a heavier bar (don't feel heavier then 45 LBs) but today I was bench 145 my goal was 5x5. I was able to do the first two sets at 5, then it slowly decline... I had a hard time getting my 2nd rep on my 5th rep. My grip is I use my thumbs as a measurement tool I put it to the edge of the grip normally inside of the sliver line and I was wondering if changed grip might help me more? My ORM is 165 actually I was able to do that 2x, and um so I guess my true ORM max is 175 even though i've never actually tested. I figured 145 Lbs would be do able at 5 x 5. Any advice is greating appreaticated. I even had a left off on my last set and was only able to attain 2 reps, I really pushed for a 3rd but couldn't get it.

I was wondering if I should lower my weight? I mean maybe 145 is too much to complete... Should I take it down ot 140 or somthing. Or should I continue on working till failure and or 5 reps until I get it down.
    Last edited by Nik00117; 05-01-2006 at 10:30 AM.

Banned
    continue benching until you get 145 5x5

once you hit that, add 5lbs, repeat

if you dont like your grip, change it until youre comfortable then use that grip all the time.. and yes thats all there is to it

Find a grip thats perfect for you, everyone has their own style. Do what f=ma said though, keep workin 145 till you can nail it for 5x5.

Gamer/Lifter
    Ok i'll do that I mean I was working with a lame spotter that didnt push me hard enough so that might of cost me a few reps, i'll work on a few different grips and on thursday i'll test myself again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117
    Ok i'll do that I mean I was working with a lame spotter that didnt push me hard enough so that might of cost me a few reps, i'll work on a few different grips and on thursday i'll test myself again.
    Don't blame your spotter for your lack of intensity! And if your spotter helps with a rep, then don't count that towards the completion of the 5x5; you need to get them all yourself.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Gamer/Lifter
    No I mean without help from a spotter, example when me and my buddies work out we pump each other up and really we always get better results when working out together even though we don't help each other actually lifting the weight just psuh each other harder which makes us lift more and better.

If you need someone else to push you to work harder, you're doing something wrong.
    Last edited by LouPac; 05-01-2006 at 06:28 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    So are you guys saying its better to stay at one weight for 5x5? Because I usually start off with a lower weight, then add, and for the last set or two go down some weight. Would it be better to pick a weight somewhere in the middle and stick with that until I can do 5x5 with it?

Quote Originally Posted by w8tlifter
    So are you guys saying its better to stay at one weight for 5x5? Because I usually start off with a lower weight, then add, and for the last set or two go down some weight. Would it be better to pick a weight somewhere in the middle and stick with that until I can do 5x5 with it?
    yes...

Lol... okay a stupid question but, what if...

He started struggling on the last set 4th rep, then Barely got the 5th rep, should he add +5 lbs. next week? ... or keep it the same until he can easily do 5x5 relatively easy ? I mean like, should it be a guaranteed completition of 5x5 until adding +5 lbs.

What if, he decided to keep the weight the same, but then next week he was somehow weaker and decreased the reps?

What does the lifter do?
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Look, personally I think it's foolish to have any hard rules to say you "have" to stick to a specific weight, everyone is different and respond to different training regimens. Since he is a beginner I would recommend that he sticks to 1 weight for all 5 sets. If it's too easy, obviously he would want to increase the weight that day. If it was a bit difficult and barely got all the reps in, common sense would say to stick with the weight until he felt he was able to move up. You can't always move up 5 lbs just because it's a new week.

Banned
    if you can do a weight for 5x5 then you are not pushing enough in the first few sets. If the weight is taxing you in the first two sets then naturally you wont be able to get it up in the last few.

everything is normal my friend. keep lifting heavy

Banned
    if you can do a weight for 5x5 then you are not pushing enough in the first few sets. If the weight is taxing you in the first two sets then naturally you wont be able to get it up in the last few.

Wannabebig Member

Thats basically what I was asking. I use a higher weight, and when I can barely complete a set I drop 10 pounds. I assumed this was better than the 5x5 with one weight?

When doing a 5X5 routine you generally take LONG rest periods. That changes things completely as far as being able to do the "right" amount of weight. Your scenario is very true if youre trying to keep your rest periods to sub 60seconds. During a 5x5 portion of my routine ill take up to 5m between sets at times depending how im feeling.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by w8tlifter
    Thats basically what I was asking. I use a higher weight, and when I can barely complete a set I drop 10 pounds. I assumed this was better than the 5x5 with one weight?
    it is far better than 5x5 with one weight because you are using all of your muscles to lift the weight. I do a weight x 8,7,6 or weight x 7,6,5. and my bench is now 275 x 7,6,5 when it was 135 x 6,5,3 four months ago.

In 4 months you went from doing 135 for reps to 275 for reps?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    In 4 months you went from doing 135 for reps to 275 for reps?
    It's called lying or gear.

To the OP:

The way i do my grip is this.

1. lie on the bench and grap onto the bar.
    2. lower the bar to chest
    3. at the bottom position, have someone check to see if your forearms are perpendicular to the ground.

This method, as i believe, allow my chest and tricep push equally.

Quote Originally Posted by WildCard
    it is far better than 5x5 with one weight because you are using all of your muscles to lift the weight. I do a weight x 8,7,6 or weight x 7,6,5. and my bench is now 275 x 7,6,5 when it was 135 x 6,5,3 four months ago.

Honestly, you say some interesting things...

You said gaining 10lbs of pure muscle in one month was easy

And now you added 100lbs to your bench in a few months?

Have you got some insane training secret that you could share?

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    It's called being full of ****. And it's 150lbs in 4 months actually, lol.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 05-02-2006 at 01:34 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo
    Honestly, you say some interesting things...

You said gaining 10lbs of pure muscle in one month was easy

And now you added 100lbs to your bench in a few months?

Have you got some insane training secret that you could share?
    I would appreciate it if you show me where the f**k I said 10 lbs of muscle in one month was easy. on the contrary, I think one would be lucky to gain 10 lbs of muscle in one year.

I am glad that some people dont believe me on my bench numbers. it just makes me know that the system I chose to adopt (heavy weights- one weight x8,7,6, and nutrition/supplementation -dextrose, l-glutamine, and now creatine) works!

and no, I dont use gear.

Gamer/Lifter
    Frankly i'm going stick with the 5x5 strentgh training program. My goal is to be able to get 5x5 at 145 and my last rep not exteremly difficult to lift (I didn't say easy) Then I hit 155 5x5. I figure i'll be able to do 145 5x5 within my next work out or work out after that. And thanks for the rep advice i'll wait until I feel good again then go back at it. I usedd to take a 2 min break inbetween reps, but not i'm down to 1 min. I'll take a longer beak. And I mean i'm not rigid to it. If I can toss the weight or its really easy and I really don't feel nothing, i'd add more weight. But as of right now i'm going aim for 5x5 at 145 until I reach it. Thanks for the advice guys.

The way a lot of 5x5 routines go is you find your 5RM max first. The next workout, you decrease the weight by about 20 pounds. Try to do 5x5. Increase each week by 5#. By the fourth or fifth week, you may be getting 5x5 of what you did for your 5RM. Rest is between 3 and 5 mins.

After 4-5 weeks, you try and set a new 5RM. Decrease by 20# and repeat the cycle. Some routines have you do a couple of weeks of deloading with 3x3's at your last 5x5 weight then doing new 5RM's.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WildCard
    I am glad that some people dont believe me on my bench numbers. it just makes me know that the system I chose to adopt (heavy weights- one weight x8,7,6, and nutrition/supplementation -dextrose, l-glutamine, and now creatine) works!

and no, I dont use gear.
    and you are ****ing lucky to get 140 lbs up in 4 months. Thats 35 lbs per month. Thats 8.75 lbs per week. Thats unheard of for that long of a time period, especially for banch press.