The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Still small

hockey goalie training

I'd like to start this thread to see if anyone has any pointers.

I'm an ice hockey goalie for a DIII college club team (competitive but not a big deal). I've always been (and still am) a pretty small hockey player. Because I'm a goalie this hasn't been too big a problem (I had one coach in high school not play me because I was too small), but college hockey, with the horrible refs and the chippy teams that we play, has made this more of an issue.

I have started doing serious lifting and have seen pretty nice strength gains in the past year. I used to run competitively, so endurance has never been an issue. Also, being ridiculously small forced me to really be on top of my technique and skating (goalie skating=balance while moving around the creasing and dropping down and getting up).

So basically.....
    My strengths: Technique, quickness, endurance
    My weaknesses: Strength, size, and focus (I'm a headcase in net)

Here's some stats
    5'10" 150lbs
    Squat: 285 max
    Bench: 70's max
    Deadlift: 250 max

Any pointers on how to increase strength without massively increasing size (especially in the chest, mine is weak) would be greatly appreciated.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Patrick Roy entered the NHL at something like 160lbs. Skill > Size.

What's your flexibility like? Work hard on explosive strength. Incorporate speed-strength workouts regularly (an example would be 55% of your max, 8 sets of 2).

I don't know what the rules are where you play, but Ephedrine can really help with focus. Make sure it's not against the league rules before you take it however.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 04-27-2006 at 06:08 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Still small
    I'm no expert on any of the sports related supplements, but I've been avoiding them. I guess I just want to see how far my own hard work can take me. Taking supplements would cheapen the results for me, I guess.

Footballer
    Train hand eye coordination and flexibility I would say.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Quote Originally Posted by puny2big
    Any pointers on how to increase strength without massively increasing size (especially in the chest, mine is weak) would be greatly appreciated.
    This part confused me. Are you trying to get strong, big, or both?

get strong = lift heavy things
    get big = eat a lot of food
    get big and strong = lift heavy things, eat a lot of food
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310