The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Waiting for weight! Powdered_Power's Avatar
    A seriously distorted image of myself, plain and simple.

Wife found out that she's had a medical condition that made her hold onto weight. A (relatively simple) change in her diet and she lost 12 lbs.

I have no medical condition that makes me hold onto fat. I was just lazy. I've been off and on for years, but something's changed. I'm serious this time.

Oh, and lifting levels out my seratonin levels, so I'm not an angry ****wad to the people I love.
    Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.

Gamer/Lifter
    Fat was a reason too. Granted I still have some, but i'm no where near how out of shape I was. Drugs were never a big part for me though. Even though they did playt a factor in me getting arrested. Frankly I think getting arrested was one thing I needed. Never in my wildest dreams I thought i'd see cuffs on my hands. Also I got my own business, getting arrest considering I deal with clients in their late 30s and stuff getting arrested would look bad so I stay mostly clean by lifting. Drinking is legal in germany at 16 so I still drink occisional.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SobaAddict70
    A diagnosis with HIV, and the realization that I prefer living as opposed to dying an early death.
    This is the first time I'm seeing this bit of info. Kudos for being proactive about it.

I started to improve my self-image as well as my outward image. The rest is history.
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 05-03-2006 at 02:55 PM.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Being 125 lbs sucked

Currently Recomposing... - Weight: 190 lbs | BF: ~15%

L.A.X
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies
    I was really fat and there was a girl I had wanted to be with more then anything. I didnt get the girl but i did gain alot more and have never looked back since
    basically.
    I have no desire to be average any longer.
    J: Apr. 14, 09 Last update
    Currently: Training core and Staying in Shape... until further notice

Combat Infantryman
    Being 400lbs sucked. I got to college and I met some guys who were very active in sports, cross-training and body-building who weren't bullys to me like in high school. They took me to the gym and showed me around and I've been hooked for the past 1.5 years.

I was obese in middle school.. ~210 5'8 and 12 years old. Told myself I wasn't going to high school a fatass... End of eighth grade into the summer I worked my ass off and got down to (at my lightest) 160. Felt great not getting made fun of anymore, my confidence skyrocketted. Also, not having to take **** from people (smaller then me) is a plus. I couldn't have even started without WBB. Thanks guys! *group hug*
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Started jogging after my ex-girlfriend broke up with me. Been running up-hill since.:evillaugh
    Fighters are teh bomb -Getfit

Test is test is test is test. It'll all bloat you the same! -BCC

I have ALWAYS been the smallest in every class. Whether it was height or weight, I was the smallest. So when I hit my growth spurt, I started training as well and now simply working on my physique to up my confidence and self-esteem.

I always weightlifted in the PE classes in my high school. Never pushed myself cause I didn't want to not perform for hockey (lame ****ing excuse I Know). My dad said i didn't need creatine because I already weighed enough, lol.

I was never too "fat" but most certainly overweight. The girl I was interested in tried to get me to workout, which i did never got anywhere. Mostly tried to do Arnolds workout. She went to AZ for college and was hanging out with a bunch of Frat guys. SO got my ass in shape and when she came home she was like "holy ****" what happend. Well now were together and she moved home for me!

And of course WBB helped out tons!!
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Banned
    I wish I had a good story, but here goes.

My roommate started lifting/dieting and lost ~75 lbs over the course of a year. I, thinking I would be stronger than fatty, came to the gym with him. Of course, he beat my ass around like it was no one's business. We both stayed on each other's backs about diet and exercise for the better part of year. Now I'm going to keep lifting for a very long time...

At around age 16, I was maybe 5'7" and the (older) girl I liked was easily an inch or more taller than me. This is a problem, especially considering the fact that my mom is 5'2", my dad is 5'2", and everyone in my family is < 5'6".

Girl moves to Indiana for her senior year, makes new guy friends. This pushes me.

Girl graduates, moves to Dallas for college, and is now hanging out with college guys as little old me works on my highschool science project. This pushes me even more.

Girl moves back here. I get bigger, and at age 18 am now about 5'10" 190lbs and growing.

Anyone else noticing the common girl, size, overweight factors? We are a bunch of insecure losers
    Last edited by JaredG; 05-06-2006 at 10:09 AM.

L.A.X
    Quote Originally Posted by JaredG
    Anyone else noticing the common girl, size, overweight factors? We are a bunch of insecure losers
    not any more, this is why 'we' are here; time for changes. outnumber
    I have no desire to be average any longer.
    J: Apr. 14, 09 Last update
    Currently: Training core and Staying in Shape... until further notice

Yep.

Now you can spend your time making others insecure...

Ah, the circle of life.

no good story here. just tired of being a scrawny little bastard. now its just something i really enjoy.
    Last edited by RBB; 05-06-2006 at 10:23 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I've worked out on and off since I was a teenager, it has been about 3 years since I hit the wieghts though.

Anyway I knew this girl for a couple of years we started talking, and she opened up my heart ( the first girl to do so in 5 years ) then she got scared and cut me off, I was drinking and partying to much, I had gained 34 pounds that year, and I was generally depressed big time. I sat up one night and could not sleep and I thought about my life long and hard. I got up the next moarning, called my friend who used to be a personal trainer ( she just moved back and got a member ship at the gym I go to ) and said lets go workout. That was at the end of Nov 2005, I've never looked back since. I've lost 38 pounds so far, and am doing for me for once in my life, not for anybody else. Im am extremly dedicated and will make the gym a part of my life until the day that I die.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredG
    At around age 16, I was maybe 5'7" and the (older) girl I liked was easily an inch or more taller than me. This is a problem, especially considering the fact that my mom is 5'2", my dad is 5'2", and everyone in my family is < 5'6".

Girl moves to Indiana for her senior year, makes new guy friends. This pushes me.

Girl graduates, moves to Dallas for college, and is now hanging out with college guys as little old me works on my highschool science project. This pushes me even more.

Girl moves back here. I get bigger, and at age 18 am now about 5'10" 190lbs and growing.

****, you put on 3 inches just from lifting? That's inspirational.

My initial motivation?

I was studying abroad in Sweden and given the abundance of girls that were my type (blond and blue eyes), I wanted to improve my chances with them (Given what I know now, that's fairly silly.) I was also 20 at the time and figured I had more potential to 'look good' at that age than I would ever again. Also, I'd been brainwashed by a steady diet of Arnold Schwarzenegger movies to believe that that is what a man should look like.

My motivations are quite different now.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Gamer/Lifter
    Yea, i'd never want to be 100% pure muscle like schwanger. I want to be strong, and buff, but not to any extermes.

Heeheh. Swedish girls are fooking hot.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterGriffin
    ****, you put on 3 inches just from lifting? That's inspirational.
    I can't say that just lifting made me grow three inches. Puberty and getting older had something to do with it. I had a few growth spurts(sp?)

But, lifting does allow me to eat much more than I ever could before and drink 1/2 gallon or gallon of milk per day. I definitely think its true that a healthier diet and exercise will make you grow. I think that is why the average height goes up with every generation.

Hmmm, I'm with you guys... it seems to all boil down to personal trouble, girls, or personal insecurity. But we're the ones making the difference in our lives...

Personally, I was tired of feeling "wimpy" and wanted to take control of one aspect of my life amidst a sea of personal changes on other fronts. I started lifting with Special K and haven't looked back since. Booyah.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

My dad has been lifting for as long as I can remember but I never started lifting until I was 14 unfortunately. I was also a little bit stalky for most of my life. Now my life is based around my workout schedule. When i'm not working out i'm eating, or planning my next meal.

I've noticed that when i'm not doing the above things my life consists of smiling and nodding haha.
    22 y/o, 6'1, ~205 lbs
    508/303/557

I did not want to be small and weak. I'm far from strong and huge now, but I am definately in better shape. Lifting gave me a more structured life. This is so much more than a hobby. Will never look back.
    Training Journal
    3/27/06 - 150lb, 17.8% BF
    8/23/06 - 153lb, N/A BF

Lifts and PRs
    Dead 215x4 (4/24/06), 255x1 (5/22/06), 295x1 (8/23/06), 315x1 (11/24/06)
    Squat 185x4 (4/19/06), 235x3 (5/31/06), 275x1 (8/21/06), 315x1 (10/25/06)
    Bench 135x5 (4/24/06), 160x3 (5/22/06), 145x3 (8/23/06)

"Deadlift is like my girlfriend. She pisses me off at times, but i still love her." - DNL

BSG Season 3 - 10/6/06