The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    If I tell you, I could probably risk being made fun of for the rest of my time on these boards. Well okay here goes....

You guys Remember Peter Andre - Mysterious Girl video that was always playing on MTV ....It must have been like 7 years ago. I remember watching and thinking "damn that guy is in shape he must be getting lots of girls" .....it sorta took a turn from there!

I was bullied all the way through primary school into the start of high school. Getting beaten up every other week. Year 8 I snapped. And lashed out. Ever since then ive always been weight training, and going totally mad! lol. I'd just love to bump into one of the bullies from primary school now.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

My mom told me I was overweight and the sit-at-home-and-eat-cookies-lifestyle was not doing anything for me. I was 212 lbs, couldn't bench more than 160 lbs. I have asthma, and I used this as an excuse. I couldn't run a mile. I was suffering from mild depression. It all ended (for a short time) when I found this site. I looked on here and started lifting more seriously, until I found drugs. Then I started using drugs and getting in trouble. Two car accidents and two speeding tickets later I realized I needed to have support in my life. What was the support, my church and weights. I now attend church every weekend and lift weights every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Ever since I have decided to devote my time to this lifestyle I have changed for the better. I am going to prom with a one-of-a-kind woman and I am will be doing more community service, I have an interview with the president of a company, and I am healthier than I ever was before.

I only wish I would have found weights and the related earlier in life.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Bodybuilding - I wanted to be a bigger, more attractive person. I guess I was insecure about having gyno through out high school. Lame in the strongest of ways.

Powerlifting/Strength Conditioning - I'm not too bright and I can lift heavythings, this is my kind of lifestyle!

Fed up of always being the smallest and being so weak I found some day to day tasks difficult :|
    I was under 125lbs, had 9-10inch arms, less than 19inch thighs when I started university, aged 19.

I wasted a year in an expensive gym doing curls, situps and the pec dec and drinking expensive protein powder in attempts to get big.

Discovered this site, bought a bench, rack and weight set. Started squatting, deadlifting etc. Followed WBB1 for a while, sorted my diet out (realised CALORIES make you big!) and finally began to see results.

I've gained over 35lbs now and never looked back. I feel better, look better, more confidence etc. I'm no longer the weakest person I know, and soon ill be the biggest in my circle of friends.

Also my awareness of healthy eating/exercise has helped in lots of other ways. I have tried to combine scientific knowledge from my degree course with more practical BB'ing knowledge and my understanding of both subjects has improved dramatically.

I'm also inspiring others around me (skinny and fat) to make changes to themselves. My girlfriend and two of my friends are getting bigger, my next door neighbour is getting smaller, i'm helping a friend get into lifting despite his bad back etc.

My final goal is a sexy 180lbs at less than 10%.. it's still a little way further but I will get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo
    Fed up of always being the smallest and being so weak I found some day to day tasks difficult :|
    I was under 125lbs, had 9-10inch arms, less than 19inch thighs when I started university, aged 19.

I wasted a year in an expensive gym doing curls, situps and the pec dec and drinking expensive protein powder in attempts to get big.

Discovered this site, bought a bench, rack and weight set. Started squatting, deadlifting etc. Followed WBB1 for a while, sorted my diet out (realised CALORIES make you big!) and finally began to see results.

I've gained over 35lbs now and never looked back. I feel better, look better, more confidence etc. I'm no longer the weakest person I know, and soon ill be the biggest in my circle of friends.

Also my awareness of healthy eating/exercise has helped in lots of other ways. I have tried to combine scientific knowledge from my degree course with more practical BB'ing knowledge and my understanding of both subjects has improved dramatically.

I'm also inspiring others around me (skinny and fat) to make changes to themselves. My girlfriend and two of my friends are getting bigger, my next door neighbour is getting smaller, i'm helping a friend get into lifting despite his bad back etc.

My final goal is a sexy 180lbs at less than 10%.. it's still a little way further but I will get there.
    Way to go man!! Its all good
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

I saw a photograph of myself with my shirt off.

When I graduated from high school, I was a whopping 135 pounds (at 5'11"). When I graduated form college, I was up to about 150. I didn't lift or anything, I mostly smoked cigarettes, drank beer, and ate McDonalds food. But at 150 I still looked OK, I guess. While I was in college, I worked pretty much full time as a McDonald's manager, and was pretty active, playing soccer and being busy.

When I got my first 'real' job out of school, I went from running all the time to sitting all the time. I didn't curb my social behavior. After a couple months of classroom training, I had a shift in a call center from 1-9:45. I would get up around 10, eat potato chips and drink soda and watch Bodyshaping on ESPN2, then go to work, eat out every day, and when I got off work, go hit the bars (it was a great schedule for me at that time).

After about a year, I was 185 pounds, and had a 37 inch waist. That's when I saw the photo.

I went out and bought a Jack Lalane bench and weight set, and sort of lifted in my basement for a while, reading every muscle mag I could find, and still watching Bodyshaping, Kiana, and the Flex Magazine workout on ESPN2.

I didn't really get anywhere, but cleaned up my diet a little, started eating vegatables instead of chips, that sort of thing.

About a year after that, a friend at work convinced me to join a gym. I faced the same fears many people do about joining a gym, I was fat, out of shape, and weak. I didn't want to embarass myself. But I did it.

Best thing I ever did.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.