The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Balance can not be trained to a large extent. Functional strength should be defined as specific strength that is applied at a high level to a sporting activity.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I disagree. Personally I incorporate some balance beam work in to my weekly routine. I do overhead squats, duck walks, bear crawls, and quick feet drills on the beams. It has worked wonders for my football and bjj games.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyK
    I disagree. Personally I incorporate some balance beam work in to my weekly routine. I do overhead squats, duck walks, bear crawls, and quick feet drills on the beams. It has worked wonders for my football and bjj games.
    I think Maki is talking about having good balance or not.

You can make it better but I can never teach a guy like Manute Bol how to hop around while I'm going for a single or a high crotch.

Correct.

I also don't like the term "balance training." I call it body awareness or reaction conditioning.

These are things that are trainable.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

i think maki is the only one who understands my point. im not talkin bout fighting at all this a weightlifting discussion with the subjects as ufc guys. every who is talking bout steroids, and technique and chin; none of that has to do with weights those are trained in a different manor.and randy coutre was deadlifting 100 lbs he was not running thru a dessert with a huge heavy bag unevernly dispersed on 1 half of his body. or how bout chuck liddell in the same desert set pullin a truck ala strong man, that is actually better then i see most guys doin, but it does not specify ne thing to fighting. Ever since coming to this site the HIT approach to training has been pushed to the extreme, and i believe in it i think hit yields the most gains and power. I know if randy coutre was a random guy ppl would make funna his form and say lift heavier weight ur not gonna gain with that weight. I jus dont understand why ppl dont see a correlation between HIT training and getting gains and improving your fight game
    Last edited by JHolmes145; 05-08-2006 at 11:35 PM.
    to sculpt you must first have concrete
    You are only as stong as your weakest joint

Er... HIT kinda sucks balls man.

Do you really think Range Coutre never deadlifts more than 100lbs?
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Er... HIT kinda sucks balls man.

Do you really think Range Coutre never deadlifts more than 100lbs?

why do you even have your maxx's posted if you dont believe in HIT. if high intesnity training sucks balls man then why do u even bother maxing out, maybe you can help randy with his deadlift with your impressive stats

I would say it all comes down to the fact that most lifts don't help out functional strength as much as other stuff does. They are fighting, functional strength is what they need and are all about. Who cares if they can deadlift 500lbs but can't put it to use on the mat.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

"He's used to doing the jerk first, then the clean." -Xian

"Eat more? I am already consuming more than 2500 cals a day." -Danpiel

Jeff Monson sure knows how to lift. For a small guy he's exploding.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTerrorizer
    Jeff Monson sure knows how to lift. For a small guy he's exploding.
    I hope you mean small as in short, because he is a heavyweight for one, and for two his GH gut is exploding. But he is a buff mofo, no doubt about it. Although I think if you look at one guy and say he must be hitting the weight room, I would say Sean Sherk. Amazing physique.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman15
    I hope you mean small as in short, because he is a heavyweight for one, and for two his GH gut is exploding. But he is a buff mofo, no doubt about it. Although I think if you look at one guy and say he must be hitting the weight room, I would say Sean Sherk. Amazing physique.
    I meant small as in short. His biceps are bigger than my head. He's like 5'7 isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTerrorizer
    I meant small as in short. His biceps are bigger than my head. He's like 5'7 isn't he?
    I thought he was around 5'9ish but I just checked UFC.com and they say he is 6'1". Either they are wrong, or he just looks short because he is always fighting really tall guys.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=fighter.detail&pid=3

I think they must be adding some inches for him because in UFC 59 he fought Mario Cruz who is listed as 6'4", but there was definitely more than a 3 inch height advantage in that fight.
    Last edited by Ironman15; 05-09-2006 at 02:25 AM.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

Quote Originally Posted by JHolmes145
    i think maki is the only one who understands my point. im not talkin bout fighting at all this a weightlifting discussion with the subjects as ufc guys. every who is talking bout steroids, and technique and chin; none of that has to do with weights those are trained in a different manor.and randy coutre was deadlifting 100 lbs he was not running thru a dessert with a huge heavy bag unevernly dispersed on 1 half of his body. or how bout chuck liddell in the same desert set pullin a truck ala strong man, that is actually better then i see most guys doin, but it does not specify ne thing to fighting. Ever since coming to this site the HIT approach to training has been pushed to the extreme, and i believe in it i think hit yields the most gains and power. I know if randy coutre was a random guy ppl would make funna his form and say lift heavier weight ur not gonna gain with that weight. I jus dont understand why ppl dont see a correlation between HIT training and getting gains and improving your fight game
    I already addressed your comments about what Randy was doing in the video. It's a conditioning routine - do some searching on "complexes" to learn more. If you think it's easy, try it. Pick 8 compound exercises, do 6 reps for each exercise without letting the bar down. Rest 1 minutes and repeat for a total of 5 rounds. It's not max effort, it's conditioning. Being strong is great, but it means nothing if you can't last in the ring. There's also a point of diminishing returns. For example (and this is just an example), the benefit of a fighter improving his squat from 400lbs to 500lbs is outweighed by the time and effort required to do so. When you take into consideration the amount of time they spend skill training, conditioning training, and strength training, you start to realize that they need to balance things.

And for the record, I don't remember ANYONE pushing HIT as a training regime on this forum. Based on your comments, I don't think you even know what HIT is!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman15
    I thought he was around 5'9ish but I just checked UFC.com and they say he is 6'1". Either they are wrong, or he just looks short because he is always fighting really tall guys.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=fighter.detail&pid=3

I think they must be adding some inches for him because in UFC 59 he fought Mario Cruz who is listed as 6'4", but there was definitely more than a 3 inch height advantage in that fight.
    He is 5'9'' and weighed in at 234lbs. against Marcio Cruz...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    I already addressed your comments about what Randy was doing in the video.
    You could read what he wrote? Was he speaking Canadian? The lack of punctuation, spelling, and grammar really confused me.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    You could read what he wrote? Was he speaking Canadian? The lack of punctuation, spelling, and grammar really confused me.
    no im not canadian otherwise i would take this discussion and turn it into a chat room w/ local canadians.im jus stoned. but heres what im getting at alot of times on this site a low volume high intensity work out scheme is oftened advised for getting maximal gains and building more lbm. i can site specific references of ppl sayin add more weight, stop overtraining, incorporate more compound movements to build power. now when i change the subject from a member on the board and im like hey look at these UFC guys, theyre not doing olympic weights, theyre doing way too many reps, their form is terrible and abuse the use of a spotter, everyone accepts it like they know what theyre doing. i dont see too many people directly talking about weightlifting and the subject being ufc fighters, everyone is talking about a different aspect of the sport which i couldnt care less about or they jus personally say hey you dont know what youre talking about, and instead of making me understand write me off(anthony i know fighters train with heavy bags and medicine balls, randy coutre was using a barbell with like 10's on each side). I dont believe the next great fighter is going to be built on technique, all the teqnuiqes have been around for thousands of year, theyve been tried and tested, ppl know what works best. The thing i really see lacking in fighters is they overtrain alot, dont lift weights properly, and not all but most dont know how to diet. The evolution in fighting i believe would be someone who reaps the benefits of weights.
    Last edited by JHolmes145; 05-09-2006 at 01:57 PM.

im jus stoned.
    Ah.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

some of my favorite fighters are brock lesnar*crosses fingers*,matt hughes and bob sapp. im not at all bashing the fighting community, its my favorite thing to watch on tv. i think bob sapp is an awesome example of all mass and power and no technique. i like mike tyson too, alota times i debate w/ others wether mike tyson would knock out bruce lee. i think tyson is an animal and would destroy bruce lee(who squats w/95lbs btw) .alota you guys seem like bruce lee fans, go figure with this being wbb and all.

some of my favorite fighters are brock lesnar*crosses fingers*,matt hughes and bob sapp. im not at all bashing the fighting community, its my favorite thing to watch on tv. i think bob sapp is an awesome example of all mass and power and no technique. i like mike tyson too, alota times i debate w/ others wether mike tyson would knock out bruce lee. i think tyson is an animal and would destroy bruce lee(who squats w/95lbs btw) .alota you guys seem like bruce lee fans, go figure with this being wbb and all.
    How do you knock out someone who is dead?

Quote Originally Posted by seK
    How do you knock out someone who is dead?
    He's stoned, remember? Anything is possible with a fried mind.

Lol.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

I thought I was being pretty patient when I explained what Randy was doing with the 95lbs. Either you are choosing to ignore it or you are too stupid to understand it in the first place.

I thought I was being pretty patient when I explained what Randy was doing with the 95lbs. Either you are choosing to ignore it or you are too stupid to understand it in the first place.

Haha you're starting to sound like me. Calm down little brother.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

dude i heard you but you also said it was a heavy bag for 10 minutes not barbells, you watched the randy tape anthony and you yourself admitted his form wasnt too impressive, and neither was the amount of weight used. so to some extent you must agree with me. and another thing too, all the people saying theyre using the weights to build endurance, lets get things straight weightlifting is anaerobic exercise, endurance is aerobic, weights should be used to build speed and power not endurance
    Last edited by JHolmes145; 05-09-2006 at 08:37 PM.

dude i heard you but you also said it was a heavy bag for 10 minutes not barbells, you watched the randy tape anthony and you yourself admitted his form wasnt too impressibe, and neither was the amount of weight used. so too some extent you must agree with me. and another thing too all the people saying theyre using the weights too build endurance, lets get things straight weightlifting is anaerobic exercise, endurance is aerobic, weights should be used to build speed and power not endurance
    I don't remember saying anything about a heavy bag. I said the example he showed was called a "complex" and is pretty common. I use them myself. His form could be improved upon, but you could also argue that he uses form to mimic movements he uses in the ring (1/2 squats, etc). 95lbs is plenty of weight to use when you're doing 40-60 reps in one set with compound movements.

Why do you think weights shouldn't be used to build endurance? What should be done to build endurance? I think the answer is the reason you're having a difficult time understanding this discussion.