Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: do ufc guys know how to lift weights right

Footballer
    Apparently the two are friends. and the eye looks swollen right away. I don't know why they'd fake it. I've seen another fight and he hit the guy in the eye knocked him out and he was bleeding out of his teer duct. it was plain nasty.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

well did you see the guy he did that too bigric??? it was the black skinny fat kid with dreads, so he could hardly see what was going on. I could beat the hell out of an unathletic kid that plays computer games all day too.
    Last edited by monotone; 05-24-2006 at 02:39 PM.
    MY RAW LIFTS
    OLD.........................................Current
    weight: 190..............................206
    Bench Press: 300lbs.......................?????
    Squat: 450lbs...............................?????
    Deadlift: 475..................................????
    Power Clean: 285lbs.......................?????

wtf are you talking about? The guy he fought was a huge bald black guy, looked about 220-230lbs. He wasn't much smaller than Kimbo at all, except Kimbo's ridiculous traps dwarfed his.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    wtf are you talking about? The guy he fought was a huge bald black guy, looked about 220-230lbs. He wasn't much smaller than Kimbo at all, except Kimbo's ridiculous traps dwarfed his.

no im talking about the guy he fought in what appeared to be a boat yard
    MY RAW LIFTS

Footballer
    Quote Originally Posted by monotone
    no im talking about the guy he fought in what appeared to be a boat yard
    Yeah I saw that video also. I was talking about the first fight though where the guys eye almost falls out. But the boat yard one is also disgusting
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

yeah... he knocks this little guy right in the eye and blood starts shooting out of his tearduct. i thought he killed him.
    MY RAW LIFTS

OKOKOKOK im re bumping this thread. Before Anthony disproved my theory about fighters not knowing what they are doing in the gym, with his lil "progressive" arguement. now i do agree with anthony that there are forms of training that are effective with a low intensity, high volume setting.BUT i was watching a spike special on the upcoming bitter rival ppv event. they had alil segment where the fighters were lifting, and not doing progressive training. i saw ken shamrock inclining with 15's, then i saw tim silva rowing w/ 45 lbs this guy weighs 275!!!!finally i saw arlovski on a swiss ball benching like 30 lb dbells. I think all this bs dates back 2 boxers doing light dbell work cuz they believed that it increased endurance it seems even these professional athletes are stuck in the old school of thought. ive come to the conclusion that weight lifting doesnt have much affect on fighting in mma its all conditioning, and that imo high intensity and low voulume is still superior. in closing i say this only ppl who saw the spike thing plz reply on what you saw and if you agree???
    Last edited by JHolmes145; 07-05-2006 at 01:16 PM.
    to sculpt you must first have concrete
    You are only as stong as your weakest joint

Strength is still beneficial to fighting. Look at Matt Hughes or Sean Sherk.

But, strength is only one element. Technique, conditioning, explosiveness/power, agility, etc are all important as well (for the most part, more important). To some extent you have to sacrafice strength training in order to train for the other things.

It's concievable that the weights they were lifting for the spike special were for the camera. They might have been asked to do many takes.

that is always a possibility. i understand alot of stuff is assumptions from little clips and i dont actually see them train. but if i were editing a special, i think i would show there best sets, not the weak ones.

That argument doesn't make sense unless you find a small, weak, and physically unimpressive guy who can whoop the **** out of a big strong opponent and does so on a regular basis.
    Royce Gracie? Royce took on Kimo who was at 257lbs while he was only 176lbs and dominated him the entire fight.
    Last edited by DCF; 07-05-2006 at 02:21 PM.

That's true, but part of why Royce is so well known is the fact that he consistently whooped bigger opponents. The point is that the bigger and stronger opponent has a very real advantage in most fights, barring tecnique, style, speed, etc.

Royce would have been even better at 190-200lbs ripped, or more. Think about how beneficial extra strength and size would've been to him when wrestling a big opponent to the ground.
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 07-05-2006 at 02:53 PM.

That's true, but part of why Royce is so well known is the fact that he consistently whooped bigger opponents. The point is that the bigger and stronger opponent has a very real advantage in most fights, barring tecnique, style, speed, etc.

Royce would have been even better at 190-200lbs ripped, or more. Think about how beneficial extra strength and size would've been to him when wrestling a big opponent to the ground.
    But you see, he didn't need extra strength. He still won that fight. Wow, he could've stopped it 3 minutes earlier, it doesn't matter. Point is, he still won with what strength he had.

I think Royce was worried about more than his needs. All UFC fighters are.
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 07-05-2006 at 03:13 PM.

I think Royce was worried about more than his needs. All UFC fighters are.
    He didn't seem worried at all. He went into that fight knowing he was going to win, just like every other fighter does.

He won the fight hands down with or without an extra 20 pounds of muscle. That's all he needed to prove. You don't have to be muscle strong to beat somebody almost 100 pounds heavier than you.
    Last edited by DCF; 07-05-2006 at 08:10 PM.

i make a fatal mistake, b4 a fight i look at the fighters and i always seem 2 favor the more muscular,bigger,stronger fighter. then i get all mad when the guy who looks like a twig wins

Quote Originally Posted by DCF
    He didn't seem worried at all. He went into that fight knowing he was going to win, just like every other fighter does.
    You think he wasn't worried about finding every little way to get an edge? NO fighter knows that they are going to win, anything could happen. Catch a strike the wrong way and you're out.

He won the fight hands down with or without an extra 20 pounds of muscle. That's all he needed to prove. You don't have to be muscle strong to beat somebody almost 100 pounds heavier than you.
    His fight with Kimo wasn't easy. Fights that long and bloody are never easy enough to say the victor won hands down. And I never said you have to be muscle strong to beat someone 100lbs heavier than you.
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 07-06-2006 at 04:30 PM.

You think he wasn't worried about finding every little way to get an edge? NO fighters knows that they are going to win, anything could happen. Catch a strike the wrong way and you're out.

His fight with Kimo wasn't easy. Fights that long and bloody are never easy enough to say the victor won hands down. And I never said you have to be muscle strong to beat someone 100lbs heavier than you.
    I'm not going to argue with you anymore. An MMA fighter always thinks he's going to win the fight, that's what drives him to continue training for the next.

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by DCF
    An MMA fighter always thinks he's going to win the fight, that's what drives him to continue training for the next.
    Heh.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John