The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Im not skinny, Im wiry

Critique my training split?

I have decided on a new training split. I used to use a three day on, one day rest routine, with day one being chest and triceps, day two being legs, and day three being back and biceps. Im now moving to this new one, hoping to see some good gains in mass and strength. Part of this is based on the WBB Routine One, and part of it based on personal preference.

Day One: Chest and Biceps
    Flat bench (either DB or a bar)- 3 sets, 8-6-4 reps
    Incline bench (DB)- 3 sets, 8-6-4 reps
    Flyes (will rotate between flat and incline)- 3 sets, 8-6-4 reps
    Incline curls or One arm preacher curls (rotate weekly)- 2 sets, 8-6-4 reps
    Barbell curls- 3 sets, 8-6-4 reps

Day Two: Quads and Hams
    Squats- 3 sets, 8-6-4 reps
    Leg press- 2 sets, 6 reps
    Leg extensions- 2 sets, 8-6 reps
    Lying leg curl- 2 sets, 6 reps

Day Three: OFF

Day Four: Shoulders, Triceps, Calves
    Seated DB press: 2 sets, 8-6 reps
    Front DB raise: 2 sets, 8-6 reps
    Lateral DB raise: 2 sets, 8-6 reps
    Skullcrushers: 3 sets, 8-8-6 reps
    Cable pressdowns: 2 sets, 8 reps
    Calf raises: 3 sets, 15 reps

Day Five: Back and Traps
    Deadlifts: 3 sets, 8-6-6 reps
    Barbell rows: 2 sets, 6 reps
    Pull-ups: 2 sets, 6 reps
    Shrugs: 2 sets, 8-6 reps
    Upright row: 1 set, 6 reps

Day Six: OFF

Day Seven: OFF

I will also be swapping out some of the exercises from time to time, replacing them with a similar exercise, so that my body doesnt get too used to one thing. Thanks for any input and advice.
    David T. Hall
    SPC, US Army
    UAV Instructor Pilot

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

For Day One I would add a couple of more sets to either flat or incline bench and get rid of Flyes, they can be bad on the shoulders, plus more sets of compound exercises are superior anyway.

Day two, add a couple of more sets to the squats add 1 more set to leg presses and get rid of leg extensions, they're a waste.

Day four looks good to me, I would maybe get rid of one of the raises and do something like heavy shrugs and also trade in the cable pressdowns for a big compound move like close grip bench press or dips, but your selection isn't bad. Everyone should have dips in their routine though.

Day five, I really don't know why you want to throw in more shoulder exercises. They get worked out all throughout the week and it's really overkill to work them two days in a row. Also, you should add a couple of more sets to the deads and go lower in reps. I would also add a couple of more sets to pullups.

Swapping out exercises is a good idea. I have an alternate workout I swap in every other week.

Im not skinny, Im wiry
    So maybe I will rotate front raises and lateral raises weekly, and do shrugs on day four as well. Then I would make day five just back. Should I add another exercise in this case, like maybe good mornings? I just dont want to overtrain and screw myself out of growth, and WBB routine 1 doesnt have many sets for each body part, which is what Im kind of basing this on. I think I will add one more set of deads, though, and drop the reps to 6-6-4-4. I meant to put dips in there on tricep day, but I like my cable pressdowns, Im keeping them. So I will add two sets of dips.
    David T. Hall
    SPC, US Army
    UAV Instructor Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by poserpilotdave
    So maybe I will rotate front raises and lateral raises weekly, and do shrugs on day four as well. Then I would make day five just back. Should I add another exercise in this case, like maybe good mornings? I just dont want to overtrain and screw myself out of growth, and WBB routine 1 doesnt have many sets for each body part, which is what Im kind of basing this on. I think I will add one more set of deads, though, and drop the reps to 6-6-4-4. I meant to put dips in there on tricep day, but I like my cable pressdowns, Im keeping them. So I will add two sets of dips.
    Yeah, that sounds good. Rotate the raises every week, do shrugs on day 4, get rid of upright rows on day 5 and add a couple of sets of gm's to day 5.