The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Which is safe... Splenda, Aspartame or Stevia?

There's a lot of negative news surrounding the dangers of using Splenda and Aspartame. The FDA had approved them for used as artificial sweeteners but had labeled Stevia, a natural herbal sweetener that's been used by the South Americans for centuries as "unsafe food additive".

This had raise some concern to me because a lot of protein supplements using Splenda and Aspartame. If Stevia is safer, why aren't more supplement companies use them?

Can somebody with the knowledge on this help shade some light to all of us? Thanks!

LINKS
    Last edited by cy6ex; 05-04-2006 at 04:43 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I do not know but I buy the Nitrean and Opticen from At Large and I wish they had some that did not contain sucralose. In fact I am going to go to the At Large Section and request.....you never know more people might just buy their stuff if they actually had a choice between the 2. I would have definitely bought sooner.

~Nico

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoman
    I do not know but I buy the Nitrean and Opticen from At Large and I wish they had some that did not contain sucralose. In fact I am going to go to the At Large Section and request.....you never know more people might just buy their stuff if they actually had a choice between the 2. I would have definitely bought sooner.

~Nico
    What would you prefer? Aspartame?!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGimp
    What would you prefer? Aspartame?!
    How about being able to sweeten it yourself? The cocoa is fine but I would much prefer a more natural alternative.

~Nico

If they really pose a danger, then i think we as consumers should stop buying products containing them.

Nevertheless, i would like to hear from those in the nutritional field.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Aspartame has been studied to death and it has been shown not to be harmful in moderate amounts. If you're overdoing it, then it's a cause for concern. Aspartame doesn't pose a risk at moderate intakes for the average person. However, if you have phenylketonuria you should never eat aspartame as it can lead to irreversible progressive brain damage. Moderate intake of aspartame is completely harmless. All the myths about aspartame have been deemed false through scientific research.

Sucralose (Splenda) is not even recognized by the body and it passes through your system unchanged. It is also harmless. The recommended intake of sucralose is 5 milligrams per killogram of body weight for all ages.

Stevia hasn't been studied enough to draw any conclusions about its effect on human health.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 05-04-2006 at 05:25 AM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoman
    How about being able to sweeten it yourself? The cocoa is fine but I would much prefer a more natural alternative.

~Nico
    Unsweetened protein powder is never going to be mainstream because it Tastes Like ****.

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    Aspartame has been studied to death and it has been shown not to be harmful in moderate amounts. If you're overdoing it, then it's a cause for concern. Aspartame doesn't pose a risk at moderate intakes for the average person. However, if you have phenylketonuria you should never eat aspartame as it can lead to irreversible progressive brain damage. Moderate intake of aspartame is completely harmless. All the myths about aspartame have been deemed false through scientific research.

Sucralose (Splenda) is not even recognized by the body and it passes through your system unchanged. It is also harmless. The recommended intake of sucralose is 5 milligrams per killogram of body weight for all ages.

Stevia hasn't been studied enough to draw any conclusions about its effect on human health.
    Thanks for your reply. Would you mind pointing me to some links where i can go do some research coz most of my googling points towards the two (splenda and aspartame) being harmful.

Brain damage is not something to be taken lightly.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing.

If you can handle the technical language then you are better off reading some scientific papers at www.pubmed.com than a typical "oh noes teh aspartame gifes u canser!!!1" website.

e.g.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial sweeteners--do they bear a carcinogenic risk?
    Artificial sweeteners are added to a wide variety of food, drinks, drugs and hygiene products. Since their introduction, the mass media have reported about potential cancer risks, which has contributed to undermine the public's sense of security. It can be assumed that every citizen of Western countries uses artificial sweeteners, knowingly or not. A cancer-inducing activity of one of these substances would mean a health risk to an entire population. We performed several PubMed searches of the National Library of Medicine for articles in English about artificial sweeteners. These articles included 'first generation' sweeteners such as saccharin, cyclamate and aspartame, as well as 'new generation' sweeteners such as acesulfame-K, sucralose, alitame and neotame. Epidemiological studies in humans did not find the bladder cancer-inducing effects of saccharin and cyclamate that had been reported from animal studies in rats. Despite some rather unscientific assumptions, there is no evidence that aspartame is carcinogenic. Case-control studies showed an elevated relative risk of 1.3 for heavy artificial sweetener use (no specific substances specified) of >1.7 g/day. For new generation sweeteners, it is too early to establish any epidemiological evidence about possible carcinogenic risks. As many artificial sweeteners are combined in today's products, the carcinogenic risk of a single substance is difficult to assess. However, according to the current literature, the possible risk of artificial sweeteners to induce cancer seems to be negligible.

Thanks for that article.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGimp
    Unsweetened protein powder is never going to be mainstream because it Tastes Like ****.
    Couldn't one just add some dex/malto into a shake or something for that?

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    Sucralose (Splenda) is not even recognized by the body and it passes through your system unchanged.
    If you have anything handy I'd like to read it.

I trust sucralose the most, however, it can make me lightheaded so I'm suspicious to think it passes through the system.

I should add that Stevia comes from a plant and is 100% natty and really shoudn't be part of this discussion.

The only unsweetened powder I have ever seen was also unflavoured.

I guess it's possible ATL could offer one that was still flavoured but they would have to label the hell out of it.

Far too many people would fail to realize it's not ready to mix. ATL should look into a stevia based product.

Aspartame has been heavily studied and appears to be safe. That said there is alot of conspiracy surrounding it and it makes me feel absolutely ill.

Wannabebig Member
    Some of those custom protein blend sites offer stevia as the protein powder sweetener. I'm considering trying trueprotein.com.

Hi Holto, i was hoping you hear your comment on this. My concern is not with Stevia. I just slapped something up then realized i couldn't change it.

After reading the article that TheGimp posted, i would still prefer to play it safe by not buying products that use Aspartame or Splenda.

I'm currently using ON 100% Whey but will try ISS Whey Matrix once i through my 5Ibs tub. They are the only one i found to use Stevia.

Sure unsweetened powders offer the advantage of being able to choose your own sweetener/flavouring, but for some people that would be a disadvantage, adding another product to be bought/researched/etc, or they might not realise the powder came unsweetened and complain about the taste.

Also I wouldn't base your opinion too heavily on that one article I posted, it's just the first one that grabbed me when I searched on pubmed for sucralose.

I use splenda, and only in moderation. I use real sugar in my morning coffee though.

too much splenda, and I blow ass in the bathroom.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holto
    If you have anything handy I'd like to read it.
    A.M. Coulston and R.K. Johnson, Sugar and sugars: Myths and realities, Journal of the American Dietetic Association 02 (2002): 351-353; J.F. Guthrie and J.F. Morton, Food sources of added sweeteners in the diets of Americans, Journal of the American Dietetic Association 100 (2000): 43-48

There's many more, but unfortunately, the websites listed for this section only pertain to the consumption of artificial sweeteners, but not their effects.

Er...found one website listed here: http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/may2000/niehs-15.htm It only lists saccharin.

Found another listed in this book: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...ial-sweeteners

There's 46 other sources, but those are references to books/journals and not websites.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 05-04-2006 at 02:29 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."