The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calf raises

Wannabebig Member

Calf raises

I notice you guys at wbb dont do a lot of calf raises, why is that? after all a good set of calves look bloody good . I just hold some dumbbells in each hand 9kg's each and do about 50 reps (oww!). Good for muscle endurance but not necessarily hypertrophy, what are the effects of loading a barbell with big weight and doing 5-10 reps. Surely you would get some big calves with that exercise.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I do calfs. 400+lbs Standing Calf raise, 16.5-17" calves.

How do you find long distance rides on your calves? Do you develp alot of DOMS?

That's pretty damn sweet Risk. I'd either do seated or standing: i take a 50lb dumbell and stand in one leg (same side w/ dumbell) and rep 4x10 each side. Sometimes I'll have horrible cramps after leg workout, but I'm pretty sure now it's a hydration problem.
    Training Journal
    3/27/06 - 150lb, 17.8% BF
    8/23/06 - 153lb, N/A BF

Lifts and PRs
    Dead 215x4 (4/24/06), 255x1 (5/22/06), 295x1 (8/23/06), 315x1 (11/24/06)
    Squat 185x4 (4/19/06), 235x3 (5/31/06), 275x1 (8/21/06), 315x1 (10/25/06)
    Bench 135x5 (4/24/06), 160x3 (5/22/06), 145x3 (8/23/06)

"Deadlift is like my girlfriend. She pisses me off at times, but i still love her." - DNL

BSG Season 3 - 10/6/06

I like to load up the incline leg press with 6-8 plates a side and do a few sets of calf presses with that. Fun times.

Wannabebig Member
    I like to load up the incline leg press with 6-8 plates a side and do a few sets of calf presses with that. Fun times.
    I did that in weight training at school last year, and then these guys tried to leg press it...and well they got squashed lol

Combat Infantryman
    I do raises and on the leg press as well. I think I'm at 450ish on standing (300lb machine + weights on top). 22" Calves. I do 5x5 @ 450 (600 on leg press) for strength and 4x10 other days for mass.
    Last edited by Bikkstah; 04-29-2006 at 12:53 PM.

^^^
    haha... you got calves like me thighs man!!! impressive, the least!
    Training Journal
    3/27/06 - 150lb, 17.8% BF
    8/23/06 - 153lb, N/A BF

Lifts and PRs
    Dead 215x4 (4/24/06), 255x1 (5/22/06), 295x1 (8/23/06), 315x1 (11/24/06)
    Squat 185x4 (4/19/06), 235x3 (5/31/06), 275x1 (8/21/06), 315x1 (10/25/06)
    Bench 135x5 (4/24/06), 160x3 (5/22/06), 145x3 (8/23/06)

"Deadlift is like my girlfriend. She pisses me off at times, but i still love her." - DNL

BSG Season 3 - 10/6/06

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k
    I do calfs. 400+lbs Standing Calf raise, 16.5-17" calves.

i personaly find my calves respond better to higher reps say 12-25.

traps are the same way for me
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    i personaly find my calves respond better to higher reps say 12-25.
    I'm the same way, I can't get a good burn in my calves unless I do at least 8 reps, I think it's the nature of the muscle from years of conditioning, it's used to long explosive bursts rather than short ones. I still do 5 reps though with hopes that the muscle will get used to that kind of stimulation.
    Last edited by Mercuryblade; 04-29-2006 at 04:32 PM.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k
    The calf is used to either point your toes down or raise the up near your shin. Basically they stabilise your ankle under hard efforts when you ride but when doing easy rides definition in the calf isn't that great. As a general rule your ankle shouldn't change angle through pedalling stroke but at times we still make the most of what extra power we can generate from "ankling".

You will see in most bike races that when the intensity picks up the definition of cyclists muscle's is more noticeable...not many cyclists have small calves so either they are doing calf raises in the gym or there muscle's are under enough force that hypertrophy occurs.

doms- you shouldn't feel any soreness in your calves after cycling, if so you are using them too much or your position is wrong...I have slight doms in my knees but that is normal as we put a lot of force on them in high intensity efforts.

Cyclists "mainly" just use quads and the arse...

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade
    I'm the same way, I can't get a good burn in my calves unless I do at least 8 reps, I think it's the nature of the muscle from years of conditioning, it's used to long explosive bursts rather than short ones. I still do 5 reps though with hopes that the muscle will get used to that kind of stimulation.
    I read somewhere that for there size the calf has the best strength to weight ratio of any muscle...makes sense considering how many times we use that muscle in day to day use.

Occupational Hypnomania
    I do calf raises on a smith machine and I use this rectangular boxy thingy. Anyone know if its better if I dont use it?
    Last edited by Turnip; 04-30-2006 at 05:38 AM.

Tip on calves: since the calves have a very high stretch reflex (the tendency to be like a rubber band and snap back quickly) I found I got the best feeling and results by holding for a count of three or four at the bottom and at least two at the top. The reason to stop at the bottom for so long is to let the stretch reflex peter out. Thus, the muscles are contracting from scratch.

Ever wonder why those 130# kids with calves smaller than their forearms can do 300# for 12 reps? They bounce along on the stretch reflex.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

I load a barbell on my back (same form as squats) with say 135 lbs or something (though I am weak).

I set a 2x4 on the ground and I put the front part of me feet on the board and I raise up for a full stretch, hold for 1-2 seconds, come down and make sure I am not just bouncing backup and repeat. I usually do 2-4 sets with 8-12 reps.
    Last edited by TechMetalMan; 04-30-2006 at 12:57 PM.
    18 Years of Age

5'7'' 140 lbs---Now 148

As of Feb. 2006------As of April 2006------As of July 2006

Bench- 155 x 2------170 x 1--------------Not Tested
    Squat- 200 x 1 (parallel)------Untested-------205 x 1 (Ass to Grass)
    Dead- Untested------235 x 2-----------250lbs x1 (3 sets of this)

Good advice BG5150. I always let my trainees know about the elasticity factor in calf raises.

Now I personally don't do more than one set of calf raises on leg day (or any day for the matter). I'm a pretty firm believer that squats work the calves very well and thus more sets of calf isolation isn't necessary. But to each his own, doesn't hurt to do a couple sets if you got the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnip
    I do calf raises on a smith machine and I use this rectangular boxy thingy. Anyone know if its better if I dont use it?
    To be honest, the worst injury I had in the gym was from doing what you are doing. That is, if the rectangular box is what I think it is; at our gym it's this wooden box with ~height 4", width 18", length 24" or so. I loaded up the Smith machine and then did standing calf raises right on the edge of the box. Unfortunately I was putting too much weight on the edge and it caused the box to flip up and smack VERY HARD into my shins. I had bruises for a good week or so and when it happened I had to stop my leg workout and go home because it just hurt too much.
    Moral of the story: stand on a 45lb plate or two instead of the box thing.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

I've been reading up a lot here and learned quite a bit so far. I would like to get an opinion or two about the excercises I am doing for my calves. I will pick up two 95lb DB's usually and do standing calf raises for about 12 reps for 3 sets. I am getting the feeling it's strengthening my core muscles, balance, and grip. That is why I have stuck with it for the past few weeks. I haven't seen anyone ever mention this type of calf raise before so my question is if it is a good one to use, or if I should try to avoid it. (Maybe bad for the back, or something related?) Thanks in advance.

Personally I don't think it is bad at all- but I think if you loaded a barbell to put on your shoulders/back it would be better because then the weight is more directly centered over your body.

Also, do it on some sort of raised section of the floor or a wooden board to get full stretch.

18 Years of Age

5'7'' 140 lbs---Now 148

As of Feb. 2006------As of April 2006------As of July 2006

Bench- 155 x 2------170 x 1--------------Not Tested
    Squat- 200 x 1 (parallel)------Untested-------205 x 1 (Ass to Grass)
    Dead- Untested------235 x 2-----------250lbs x1 (3 sets of this)

I do about 435lbs for 5x5 on the Smith Machine for calf raises (17.5" calves). I always do them standing on a 4" block and hold them at the top (and pause at bottom) to get the most out of it. I used to do them in the leg press machine but got tired of having to load up 900lbs of plates just to have to take them off again (even though it was good cardio!).
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Gamer/Lifter
    Yea I do 400, however I could easly attain 450, but calf rasies aren't a major concern of mine so I don't worry too much about them. I've been complinated on my calfs, appranetly thats one genetic area i've been blessed.

Wait a minute, do people actually care about the weight they can calve raise?

Gamer/Lifter
    Some poeple do... I know a person his dream is to max out at the calf machine which goes to 580... Some peoeple care a lot about calf rasies. Few, but some at least in my gym.

Alright then.

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    To be honest, the worst injury I had in the gym was from doing what you are doing. That is, if the rectangular box is what I think it is; at our gym it's this wooden box with ~height 4", width 18", length 24" or so. I loaded up the Smith machine and then did standing calf raises right on the edge of the box. Unfortunately I was putting too much weight on the edge and it caused the box to flip up and smack VERY HARD into my shins. I had bruises for a good week or so and when it happened I had to stop my leg workout and go home because it just hurt too much.
    Moral of the story: stand on a 45lb plate or two instead of the box thing.
    A box like what you described isn't made to stand on the edge of. You should have known it was going to flip without a base that extended well beyond your heel. tuttut

Standing on a 45 lb plate is a good suggestion though, if you don't have a proper platform.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Quote Originally Posted by -TIM-
    Standing on a 45 lb plate is a good suggestion though, if you don't have a proper platform.
    You'd need a few plates to get any sort of acceptable rom.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    Wait a minute, do people actually care about the weight they can calve raise?
    Its my biggest lift yo. EXTREME!!