The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Can i gain 10lbs of lean mass in 14 weeks using this nutrition/supplement/exercs pln?

I am an ectomorph with goals of gaining some lean muscle mass, with particular focus on some key areas.

Statistics:
    Height: 6'2''
    Weight: 160
    Fat%: 10%
    Daily Calorie burn according to Katch-Mcardel Forumla: 1830 calories a day, by using a 1.55 activity multiplier (2-3 times a week exercise) it comes out to 2746 calories a day.

I am starting a 14 week body transition program come Monday, comprised of 2 main components, Nutrition and Exercise. But I have some questions about each, and you will find them within their respective sections. The goals of the 14 week program are the following:

Gain 10lbs withouth going over 11% body fat
    Balance body with muscle gain focused in the following areas: Upper Back, Neck, and Chest
    Set the stage for a 6 pack after a short fat burn period following the 14 weeks
    Stick to and continually refine program during training period.

Nutrition: (Food and Supplements)
    Food:
    QUESTION: My daily caloric burn is 2746 (according to the Katch-Mcardel Formula), some sources I have read say increase your caloric intake by 10% others say a 500 calorie a day surplus is more effective, at this point I have aimed at the 500 calorie a day surplus in my planning, is this the right angle?

I have designed a "framework" for the 7ish ish meals that I will be consuming during this program. I say framework because obviously I cannot/shouldnot eat the same things every day, but it has served as a model for what 3100-3200 calories per day looks like.

In the model I was shooting for a 50/40/10 percentage split of carbs/protein/fats, but did not acheive it.
    QUESTION:I have read, to give your body the daily protein requirements for muscle building, shoot for 1.5 times your weight in grams. This value for me is 225, above and beyond that, it is the caloric surplus (complex carbs) that will feed the muscle. Since my nutritional mix is 54/33/13, alluding to my protein being too low, should I increase that percentage in my meal plan, or is 255g (30g over the requirement) of protein enough to achieve my goals?

Supplements:
    I have decided to go with the reccomended doeses of the following:

Mens Formula Multi Vitamin
    Protein - Methoxy Pro which also contains Ipriflavone, Methoxy, Glucosimine as well as additional BCAAs and Free Form Aminos
    Creatine (ester delivery system instead of powder, what do you think?)
    HGH - Secretagogue-One by MHP

QUESTION: What do you think about these choices, im looking for best bang for beginners and hardgainers.

Exercise:

4 Short intense workout sessions (35-50 min) per week: Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun concentrating on 2 muscle groups per workout, working each group 1 time per week to complete failure to elicit hypertropic response.

Workout routine framework
    Exercise Routine based on WBB1, Core Compound exercises (bench, squats, mil-press, rows, pulldowns)
    Followed by isolation exercises
    3 reps of weight aimed at failure between 6 - 8 reps each set with a 2-1-2 second cadence of positive-hold-negative movement of the weight

QUESTION: based on my body type how much time should I rest between sets, and should I be performing each set till failure, or just the last set?

Question: how do I treat my abs, I cant really do 6-8 reps till failure, so how else do I get a hypertropic response from those muscles? And should I work them each workout, or 1 time per week?

-----

That pretty much wraps up my program and questions. Hopefully I will be able to achieve a 10lb mass gain, with 8-9 of those lbs being lean muscle mass. I have worked out before, even for years working 2-3 times per week, but have never gotten serious about nutrition and lifting.

Thanks for the help, and I will be keeping a nutritional and physical photo journal.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

First off, nicely thought out plan.. better than most first posts!

Okay, I think you goals are possible but I have a few suggestions:
    First of all, you should calculate your own maintenance calories - no formula or internet program can do it for you. The correct way to find out is to track your diet carefully for a week. If your weight stays the same, you're at maintenance. If you gain, you're above it, etc etc.
    Unfortunately this might take a couple weeks of trial and error, but it is 100% accurate, whereas the best formula is still an estimate.

I would go for 500kcal over maintenance - it makes the maths easier too. 3500kcal equates roughly to gaining 1lb. So 1lb per week over 14 weeks means you could exceed your goals.. (in theory.)

I would ditch the percentage-based approach to macronutrients. You have basically discovered the major flaw with this approach by yourself. Why gear something as important as protein to total calories? That would mean you would eat less grams of protein on a cut than on a bulk.. seems kinda silly to me.

A better approach is to go for 1g-1.5g protein per lb body weight. Dont worry about the percentages.

Your fats are also too low. As 10% of a 3000kcal diet, you're only getting 30g a day. You should aim for 0.5g fats per lb body mass - 80g in your case.

Make up the rest of the total calories with more protein, more fat or as many carbs as you like.

I also question your HGH supplement - I never heard of it, but just be aware that most of those things dont work.

Other than that, you look set!

Good luck.

I'm going to answer some of your questions or just make comments in random order, if you don't mind.

You don't need to and should not work to failure every time. It's not good for your CNS.

You shouldn't avoid fats. Good fats such as fish oil, peanuts, almonds, natural peanut butter, etc. should be featured in your diet at much higher than 10% of your total intake. Aim for no less than 0.5 grams of fat for each lb of your LBM.

You're pretty light for your size so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to put on 10 lbs. This is "Wanna Be Big" so a lot of people, like myself, are going to tell you that you should bulk for more than just 10 lbs. 6'2" and 170 lbs is still very skinny.

You can work out your abs from anywhere between 1-3 times a week. If you're doing weighted exercises then 8-10 reps should be more than enough for each set. This might include weighted decline crunches, which are a fave of mine. As far as regular situps go, you can curl up a towel and stick it under the natural arch in your back. It makes each rep far more difficult than normal, and in my opinion, does a better job of targetting the adominal muscles.

Try to shoot for 3100-3200 calories for the first few weeks, but if you're not gaining consider adding more. Personally I would probably shoot for 4000 or more, but each person's body is different. You may find that 3100-3200 is enough. Keep an eye on your weight each week and if it isn't going up then add more calories and see how that works out.

You don't really need to "focus" on any muscle groups, in my opinion. At your size I would worry more about overall body growth. That means working out your legs just as often as your chest, back, etc. Compound exercises will be key for overall body growth, so don't worry too much about isolation exercises. Focus on the compound exercises you listed, as well as deadlifts, dips, chinups and pullups. In my opinion, all you need isolation exercises for are your calves, but if you want to throw in a few sets of isolations each workout, that would be fine too.

It's good to keep track of your macros, but you don't need to be completely anal about everything. If you don't get exactly 1.5 times your body weight in grams of protein a day, it's not going to make much of a difference. Anything from 200-300g of protein each day should be fine. Don't worry about silly things like your ratio being 54/33/13 instead of 50/40/10 (Note: as I pointed out, though, you definitely need more fat) because you'll just end up driving yourself crazy in the end and losing all your motivation.

Good luck.

These guys pretty much said it. I was going to say the exact same things, especially about your fat intake being too low. Good luck man.