The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Thor's Journal

Thor's Journal

I keep another one on another forum, but plan on keeping one here as well

A little background. I've been training for a year solid, currenty 18, turning 19 in February. I started out at a paltry 150 or so pounds, and weigh in at 200 right now. I stand about 5'11". I trained when I was younger, but a good year plus of inactivity left me in a frail, frail state.

Through diet and training I've been able to pack on some size, and I'm happy with my gains thus far.

My routine used to look like this:
    Chest
    Legs
    Off
    Back
    Shoulders/Traps
    Arms
    Off

A good 7 day routine that I put on a lot of size with. Rotator cuff and elbow injuries started cropping up, so I decided to try (from the advice of a respected friend) Hypertrophy Specific Training, developed by Bryan Haycock (I think?).

Anyways, at first I didn't think it would work. What the routine entailed was a fullbody workout, 3 days a week. The catch is, you want to keep your intensity high and your volume low. Meaning, for big muscles you do 2-3 sets tops, smaller muscles, 1-2 sets tops. All movements are to be complex (so generally no machines except for leg press and hamstring curls...and maybe cable/tbar rows).

Another interesting part of the routine is the rep scheme. For the first 2 weeks (6 training days) you must do 15 reps. Everytime you come, you must up the weight anywhere from 5-20 pounds of what you previously did. Obviously different muscles you can up to varying degree.

After the first 2 weeks, you do another 2 weeks, this time at 10 reps. Same thing, the weight must be increased a minimum of 5-20 pounds. The following 2 weeks is 5 reps, and the last 2 weeks is either another 5 reps, or 5 spotted/negative reps.

At first I was skeptical, but I needed something new, something totally different from what i was doing before, so I gave it a shot.

I'm MORE then happy now. This is my last week coming up (week 8), and I've packed on 10lbs on this routine, the majority of which I feel is LBM. (I cut down to 190 before this to shed some water/bodyfat). My chest, always a trouble area, is growing. Before I cut, when I was 200, I had no definition, I was a little bubble. Now I have some seperation and am MUCH leaner this time around. Not so bloated either.

In my Kinesiology class, we calculated our bodyfat levels (through skinfold measurements, breadth measurements, height, weight, girths, etc) and I came out to ~10% using 3 different forumlas. So I feel it's pretty accurate, calculation wise. However, taking error into account, I'm probably more around the lines of 12-13, but you never know. I carry most of my fat on my iliac crest and abdominal areas.

I'm looking forward to reading through the journals to get some ideas for future training endeavors. Beyond Failuer Training sounds enticing (I read the article telling you how to do it...by that guy, whatever his name is ) but I wonder if someone not on steroids could handle it (not meaning to bash juicers, but everyone I know that does it is on steroids).

I look forward to posting here, any comments, suggestions, questions, whatnot, whathaveyou, feel free to post!

Thorazine

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Thorazine-
    Good luck with your training journal bro. Be consistent with it I am looking forward to checking it out every now and then. I have some similar stats.. 5'10" 235 lbs. orginally now @ 220 lbs. Hopefully going to get down to a shredded 200-205 lbs.

Damn MonStar, I'd love to see some pics. You're HUGE! Always a big guy, or a little guy who got freaky?

Anyways, I'm going to post what I did last Friday, January 18, 2002.

Here goes.

Pec Deck - (Stack+45)x6x2 (basically a pre-exhaust, the dumbells don't go any heavier, so by isolating chest first, I'll fail sooner).

db Bench - 100x6x1 (6 clean reps, I'd lift heavier, but 100's are the heaviest my gym has =\)

Incline db Bench - 100x5x1 (spotted on last rep)

Chins - (BW+45)x5x1 + dropset with bw to failure

Cable Rows - 250x5x1

T-Bar Rows - 170x5x1

Military db Press - 90x5x1 (spotted on last rep)

Rear Raises - 25x6x2

Db Curls - 60x5x1 + dropset with 40's to failure

Skullcrushers - 120x6x1 + close grip bench to failure (same weight, same bar, directly after)

Leg Press - 450x8 (warmup), 700x5x2

Leg Curls - 200x5x2

All in all it was a good day. Lifted hard and heavy for me. I do squats on mondays, deads on wednesdays, and fridays I just give myself a break from them. Calves/Traps are just fit in wherever and don't really need to be posted. Basically just heavy weight + as many reps as possible to failure.

I have some progress pics coming out soon.

I'll have another update tonight.

Thorazine

Thorazine-
    You do that many bodyparts in one day? Damn! I only can manage 3-4 at the MOST. And thats even a LOT for me. Anyway your strength looks REALLY good bro. 90 lbs. overhead military presses!? Damn your making me look weak.

I was big like fat until 9th grade when I weighed 185 lbs. Then 10th I weighed around 200 lbs. and then 11th around 215 and now 12th grade I weigheed around 235-240 but now 220 lbs.

Read the routine I'm doing, this isn't normal for me, believe me

It's high intensity, takes me about 1hr 1-1/4 hours to do. A little long, but the benefits are working.

I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't have that specific set of guidelines. I usually dedicate an entire day to 1 bodypart (or 2-3 small ones).

Thanks MonStar,

Thorazine

This is for Monday, January 21, 2002

I'm not going to bother posting my diet because I'm bulking right now. I try to eat as clean as possible, and stick to chicken, tuna, potatoes, rice, brocolli, fish, eggs, oatmeal, milk, grilled cheese, stuff like that.

Here's what happened yesterday:

Pec Deck - (Stack+45)x6x2 (basically a pre-exhaust, the dumbells don't go any heavier, so by isolating chest first, I'll fail sooner).

db Bench - 100x6x1 (6 clean reps, I'd lift heavier, but 100's are the heaviest my gym has =\)

Incline db Bench - 100x5x1 (spotted on last rep)

Chins - (BW+50)x5x1 + dropset with bw to failure (spotted last rep)

Deadlifts - 225x10 (warmup) 285x6x2

T-Bar Rows - 175x5x1

Military db Press - 90x5x1 (spotted on last rep)

Rear Raises - 25x6x2

Db Curls - 60x5x1 + dropset with 40's to failure

Skullcrushers - 125x6x1 + close grip bench to failure (same weight, same bar, directly after)

Leg Press - 450x8 (warmup), 720x5x2

Leg Curls - 200x5x2

All in all a good day. Leg press felt great, that tied a personal best for me. Going heavier is going to be tough, but I think I'm ready. I'm also happy with my deadlifts. My grip really sucks, so that is what holds me back from the higher poundages. I use straps, and they help, but I'm trying to work on the grip. I use an over/over grip, I don't like the mixed grip, it doesn't feel right.

Anyways, see you tomorrow,

Thorazine

Originally posted by Thorazine
    but 100's are the heaviest my gym has =\)
    bwahahaha. Welcome to my great world of frustration.

How much longer you going to be doing this routine?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Hey Belial,

This is the last week, then I'm taking a few (4-5) days off to decondition a little bit (and rest my nervous system) then thinking of trying wannabebig.com routine. We'll see.

Question I want to ask you: How the HELL do you strap 100+ pounds to your waist? Or do you put a 100lbs dumbell b/w your legs?

Thorazine

Hey Thor, Whats the diet like these days?
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Thor, why not just put either a 100 lb. olympic plate or two 45's and a 10? I've put two 45's...well, 2 20kg plates on there and it doesn't crunch your nuts toooo much..but your triceps will thank you

Wednesday, January 24, 2002

Hey all

Heath - Not for triceps, for pullups

Orange - Diet is good, pretty clean. Lots of chicken, tuna, eggs, oatmeal, rice, some potatoes, steak, pork, brocolli, stuff like that. My binge food is potato chips...god salt and vinegar chips are soooo good Beef jerky is a snack sometimes too.

Anyways, I trained at my friends house hoping to get some pictures taken today. The SOB tells me he has his camera up and running, so I head over. At the end of the workout we go to take the pics and he didn't even install it properly. Sigh, sometimes i wonder how the people who aren't technically-inclined make it through day to day life

Here's the workout today:

Squats - 225x10 (warmup) 305x5x2

Leg Curls - 150x5x1 (it's one of those crappy add on extensions to a bench, oh well)

Slightly Inclined DB flies - 62.5x7x2

Incline db Bench - 210x5x1 (spotted on last rep)

bb Bench - 220x6x1, dropset 200 to failure

Chins - (BW+50)x5x1 + dropset with bw to failure (spotted last rep)

One arm db rows - 110x6x1

Rear Raises - 25x6x2

Db Curls - 62.5x5x1 + dropset with 40's to failure

Skullcrushers - 125x6x1 + close grip bench to failure (same weight, same bar, directly after)

Another good day. I forgot to do shoulder press, but at least I got one shoulder movement completed. Besides, I never do bench, so I'm sure my shoulders got hit hard enough by the incline/flat bench. One more day left of this routine, then a little time off =)

See y'all on Friday.

Thorazine
    Last edited by Thorazine; 01-25-2002 at 03:57 PM.

A little belated, but oh well

This if for Friday, January 25, 2002

My last day of Hypertrophy Specific Training!

All I can really say is I loved this routine. It showed me that high intensity, high frequency, and low volume can be used as an effective training method. I pushed myself farther then I ever thought possible.

I'm doing "strategic deconditioning" right now, give my body a break and time to recoup. Don't know if I'm going to take off 5, 7, or 9 days, but we'll see. Any advice? The routien recommend 9-12, but I can't go that long

Here's what happened on friday. I couldn't have asked for more, I maxed out on everything, and everything is a new personal record.

db Bench - 100x7x1 (7 clean reps, I'd lift heavier, but 100's are the heaviest my gym has =\)

Incline db Bench - 100x6x1 (spotted on last rep)

Chins - (BW+50)x6x1 + dropset with bw to failure (spotted last rep)

T-Bar Rows - 180x5x2

Military db Press - 90x5x1 (5 clean reps)

Rear Raises - 25x6x2

Db Curls - 60x7x1 + dropset with 40's to failure

Leg Press - 450x8 (warmup), 730x5x2

Leg Curls - 200x5x2

All in all, a great way to finish. Looking forward to an old routine, something along the lines of:

Chest
    Legs
    Off
    Back
    Bi/Tri/Shoulder
    Off
    Off

Should work out good I hope.

See y'all soon,

Thorazine