Thread: Deadlift back safety issues

I like guns.

Deadlift back safety issues

I just started doing Deadlifts @ a decently heavy weight but not maxing out.
    My back hurts a little, not like muscles being sore but like actual hurting...I can't describe as pain, it's like parts of my back that shouldnt feel sore are feeling like that and I'm afraid I'm doing some damage to my back overall.

No, I don't wear a belt.
    Suggestions?

Banned
    Try lowering the weight and making sure you have flawless form before adding any more. Your back will be sore (muscular, mind you) all over after doing deadlifts. They are a very taxing compound movement that will wipe the hell out of you. Expect to be sore everywhere!
    The pain should remain muscular and not in the spine itself. If you think you may have hurt your self go see a doctor. No one here can say for sure what is wrong.

Banned
    Yeah probably not a wise move to do deadlifts without a move. I have no idea about them though, I did them a couple of times when I was 16 and then stopped because I found them to be uncomfortable and didnt wanna mess my back up. Now 4 years later have still never touched the deadlifts.

I like guns.
    I would like more input on this topic... please?
    If not deadlifts, what is another good back workout...I do rows and lats already...

I would suggest lowering the weight and making sure your form is ACE. When you're sure your form is ace, then go back to lifting heavy. You shouldn't have problems with perfect form. Try taking a short video of yourself. That way you can really see if your form is good or not... or you could post it here and we can tell you if your form is good or not.

how's your form?
    have you had someone checked on your form?
    what about your warm-up?
    how do you warm up for the lifts?

see i have similar pain well more muscular. but it i use after squats, but i feel it hits my back more than my legs is this common or expected? i feel my form is good, even tho this has not been check but i have checked up with alot of vids on the net.

But a quick description;

feet pointing forward, bar just infront of my shins
    hands on the outside of my legs
    legs are shoulder width apart or just over
    back is angled but straight (looks like \ really!lol)
    weight is balanced throught my feet

Lift with my legs first untill they lock while towards the end my back becomes straight (like | lol)

dont get me wrong i do feel it in my legs but not as much as i think i should.
    Stan: Here we go -- mac and cheese. (Reads box) "Boil water." What am I, a chemist?

Quote Originally Posted by teck
    see i have similar pain well more muscular. but it i use after squats, but i feel it hits my back more than my legs is this common or expected? i feel my form is good, even tho this has not been check but i have checked up with alot of vids on the net.

But a quick description;

feet pointing forward, bar just infront of my shins
    hands on the outside of my legs
    legs are shoulder width apart or just over
    back is angled but straight (looks like \ really!lol)
    weight is balanced throught my feet

Lift with my legs first untill they lock while towards the end my back becomes straight (like | lol)

dont get me wrong i do feel it in my legs but not as much as i think i should.
    It sounds like your legs are locking out before your back and hips. If this is the case, you are going to be using a lot more lower back than you want. We JUST discussed form issues in this thread: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78723
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

cool cheers, i will try correcting it tonight.

if the latter part of your message was for me, sorry but didnt want to create a whole new thread about it, and the link (helpful as it is) the linkwas directed about squat form if im not mistaking?
    Stan: Here we go -- mac and cheese. (Reads box) "Boil water." What am I, a chemist?

Its all about perfect form, I've thrown and tweaked out my back half a dozen times now and after humbling myself and working on good form I'm deadlifting more weight than ever, form form form.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    Its all about perfect form, I've thrown and tweaked out my back half a dozen times now and after humbling myself and working on good form I'm deadlifting more weight than ever, form form form.
    Bullplop. Move that weight by any means possible. (That's just me though )

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Commin from the ******* with busted knees and rotator cuffs... wait.. I have those too

kevin + drew = unstoppable team of weight moving, beer drinking, injury ridden success
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Thats how we roll.

Concentrate on your glutes and hams as the primary movers. Personally I would scrap standard deads in favor of sumos as my deadlift off the floor. In my experience sumos are easier on the low back.
    It could be that you are experiencing swelling in the nerves coming out of the spinal column at the bottom. An anti-inflamatory may help.

Post a video of one of your Deadlift working sets man
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.