Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 109

Thread: The Big Boy's Menu Plan by J.M. Blakely

  1. #76
    Wannabebig New Member HahnB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    *sigh*... It was written for POWERLIFTING USA - it not like he wrote it for Men's Health...
    That may be true, but some people have been giving advice like this to everyone lately. Like smalls said, if you're 300lbs and trying to gain weight that's different, but most people aren't. And just for fun, I don't see how anyone can carry mayo around with them without it spoiling

    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    (by the way for you health nuts my bp is 116/68 and have never heard a peep from doctors about my bloodwork). .
    This may be true, but if you weigh 308lbs for an extended period of time you can be sure it will have health consequences, especially if we're talking about a period of 5, 10 or 15 years.

    Each person should choose their own path, but at the same time we should all respect the fact that there isn't one solution to everyones goals. I understand the fact that my diet isn't the best for someone who is trying to get to 320lbs, just as a 300lb powerlifters diet might not be the best for a body builder.
    Last edited by HahnB; 09-29-2007 at 12:27 AM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

    Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

  2. #77
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,644
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    That may be true, but some people have been giving advice like this to everyone lately. Like smalls said, if you're 300lbs and trying to gain weight that's different, but most people aren't. And just for fun, I don't see how anyone can carry mayo around with them without it spoiling
    Hahn,
    There is no "may be" about it - it WAS written for a target audience of powerlifter.

    I posted it here because I got sick of seeing so many posts asking "Why can't I gain weight?" and every reply being something along the lines of "Get an account at FitDay, track every calorie, eat 500 calories over maintenance".

    Read the thread.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  3. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    12,251
    hahn is very against heavyweights and massive eating, but to each's own

    has anyone tried that chocolate thing besides rhodes? lol, its pretty insane, i think id throw up if i ate it. ill stick with steaks and cheese fries.
    2000 or bust

  4. #79
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,644
    I like sweets now and again, but there's no way I could stomach some of that. Now, a pound or two of peanut M&Ms I could mow through pretty quickly...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  5. #80
    Wannabebig New Member HahnB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    hahn is very against heavyweights and massive eating, but to each's own

    has anyone tried that chocolate thing besides rhodes? lol, its pretty insane, i think id throw up if i ate it. ill stick with steaks and cheese fries.
    I'm really not against anyways lifestyle, I'm just for the right advice for the right person.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

    Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

  6. #81
    Superman sharkall2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States.
    Posts
    4,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    hahn is very against heavyweights and massive eating, but to each's own

    has anyone tried that chocolate thing besides rhodes? lol, its pretty insane, i think id throw up if i ate it. ill stick with steaks and cheese fries.
    When I wanted to gain weight I went to Hardees. Beef and cheese fries are the way to go. But you'll **** like you wouldn't believe. It projectiles out!
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

  7. #82
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,375
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    This may be true, but if you weigh 308lbs for an extended period of time you can be sure it will have health consequences, especially if we're talking about a period of 5, 10 or 15 years.Each person should choose their own path, but at the same time we should all respect the fact that there isn't one solution to everyones goals.* I understand the fact that my diet isn't the best for someone who is trying to get to 320lbs, just as a 300lb powerlifters diet might not be the best for a body builder.
    Damn, you are so arrogant! Mine was a post from experience for those that might be interested. Why don't you just mind your own business. When I need advice on being a know it all I will give you a shout.

  8. #83
    Wannabebig New Member HahnB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Damn, you are so arrogant! Mine was a post from experience for those that might be interested. Why don't you just mind your own business. When I need advice on being a know it all I will give you a shout.
    I didn't realize that pointing out the obvious made anyone seem like a "know it all". Are you on dope? How the hell is it arrogant to state that weighing over 300lbs for year and years is unhealthy?
    Last edited by HahnB; 09-29-2007 at 07:58 PM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

    Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

  9. #84
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,644
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    I didn't realize that pointing out the obvious made anyone seem like a "know it all". Are you on dope? How the hell is it arrogant to state that weighing over 300lbs for year and years is unhealthy?
    If you have to ask...

    Maybe you didn't read post #66...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    I give up. Some will NEVER get it and that's fine, I guess but if that's you, could you withhold judgement and just shut the hell up?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  10. #85
    Senior Member smalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    0
    Where did hahn judge anyone in that post? In fact he seemed pretty open in stating everyone has different goals and that's fine, just know the other persons goals before giving advice as that would seem more beneficial, but I havent been following this whole thread. I understand it's aimed at powerlifters, I still dont see the need for totally novice "powerlifters" to use rediculous eating habits to put up numbers that nobodies at most any gym are repping.

    I understand eating anything and everything to gain when you at the upper eschelon of your sport, as some here are. Your already in the SHW and you need everything you can get. But giving that same advice to people putting up 315 and 405 while already overweight at 20 years old seems seems a little overboard. But hey to each their own, if you need to eat 2 baconators and a large coke to bench more than the other high school seniors I guess that sorta makes sense. Rhodes has already posted his diet and how clean it is, he already stated that eating fast food or junk is an add on only when necassary. Yet it seems like young guys think it's some powerlifting staple and I think it seems misguided, and possibly unhealthy. But again, to each his own. Just throwing my 2 cents around.


    The main thing I dont understand is how everyone gets so worked up lately. It's the internet and it's just a bunch of opinions. State yours, read others, but getting emotionally involved seems like a waste of calories.
    Last edited by smalls; 09-30-2007 at 01:41 AM.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

    "If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

  11. #86
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,644
    I get a little worked up when a thread someone starts gets clogged up with people who use straw hat rhetoric to trounce an otherwise perfectly reasonable and wise article...

    I try very hard to stay out of most threads dealing with diet because I know damn well that I'll disagree with most of the advice given. I also keep my mouth shut about topics I know nothing about - you will never see my reply in a thread entitled "Need Bigger Guns". Just a thought.
    Last edited by Sensei; 09-30-2007 at 06:38 AM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  12. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    University at Albany
    Posts
    2,513
    There goes Hahn being a Dr again.

  13. #88
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,375
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    I didn't realize that pointing out the obvious made anyone seem like a "know it all". Are you on dope? How the hell is it arrogant to state that weighing over 300lbs for year and years is unhealthy?
    I notice how you did not discuss how you could not stay out of my business. Or how I have been on both ends of the spectrum and you have not. I could care less about your unhealthy comment. I'll let my doctors decide that, not some keyboard cowboy. And yes, I am on dope.



    I leave you with this for your next post...
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 09-30-2007 at 08:50 AM.

  14. #89
    Wannabebig New Member HahnB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    0
    I'm not judging anyone. I simply stated a fact. I guess the couple of powerlifters on wbb know more than the entire medical community has in the last several centuries. My bad. I was way out of line pointing out that weighing in excess of 300lbs is unhealthy if maintained for a long period of time. There I go again, using my crazy and insane reasoning to come to the whacko conclusion that being overweight can lead to health problems.

    I never said it was stupid to be a heavy weight, but when someone says that there are no health consequences of weighing 300lbs during their lifetime I'm going to say something because that's ignorant.
    Last edited by HahnB; 09-30-2007 at 08:51 AM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

    Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

  15. #90
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,375
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    I'm not judging anyone. I simply stated a fact. I guess the couple of powerlifters on wbb know more than the entire medical community has in the last several centuries. My bad. I was way out of line pointing out that weighing in excess of 300lbs is unhealthy if maintained for a long period of time. There I go again, using my crazy and insane reasoning to come to the whacko conclusion that being overweight can lead to health problems.

    I never said it was stupid to be a heavy weight, but when someone says that there are no health consequences of weighing 300lbs during their lifetime I'm going to say something because that's ignorant.
    Did I ever say there were no health consequences. You need to read my original post. I made a comment from experience and you just had to stick your two cents in. You have a serious complex.

  16. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    University at Albany
    Posts
    2,513
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Did I ever say there were no health consequences. You need to read my original post. I made a comment from experience and you just had to stick your two cents in. You have a serious complex.
    He's just a little guy. But, he's read books and looked at studies and followed Johnny Jackleg's training and diet advice. I'm gonna start listening to you, Hahn. I've been wrong with my whole approach. Lead me, oh wise one of the iron.

  17. #92
    Senior Member brihead301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,564
    Lol, this forum is the funniest forum ever. I just joined about 3 weeks ago, and all I hear is ARGUING - ALL THE TIME. I LOVE IT!!!!!

  18. #93
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,644
    Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Lol, this forum is the funniest forum ever. I just joined about 3 weeks ago, and all I hear is ARGUING - ALL THE TIME. I LOVE IT!!!!!
    You're new so we'll cut you some slack, but you're wrong. Unless people are obstinate about topics they know nothing about, discussions are generally civil.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  19. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    University at Albany
    Posts
    2,513
    You are definately new. This place is great for good information. This is just a touchy subject, most of the time. We have the "Count Your Calories Company" vs. the "GFH Brigade".

  20. #95
    Senior Member brihead301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,564
    I know there's some good info here. It just seemed to me like people are always fighting though. It doesn't bother me either way. I answer peoples questions, and they help me out too so it's all good. This forum definately seems to be more of a powerlifting forum rather then a bodybuilding forum, which I like.

  21. #96
    Ich bin Legende. Torrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    No. I think purified water is an excellent source of purified water. WTF is up with this soda crap?
    lol seriously, americans all think that they just accomplished somthing huge when they decide to go on a diet and stop drinking pop. now this article says to drink pop ~_^
    confusing really....

    just another thing about pop...carbonation can decay teeth....and dentures would suck....
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

  22. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    4,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrok View Post
    lol seriously, americans all think that they just accomplished somthing huge when they decide to go on a diet and stop drinking pop. now this article says to drink pop ~_^
    Context, my friend, context.

  23. #98
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,644
    Bump and a reminder - the POINT is that if you "can't gain weight", it isn't your metabolism, your genetics, your whatever, it's that you just aren't trying hard enough...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  24. #99
    Senior Member amounirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    609
    I know this is an old thread, but I think it's worth bumping, and just to say one thing:

    The point of the article isn't that you have to eat 10000 dirty calories a day no matter who you are and what your goals are. The point of the article is the ideas of how to get in more calories. For the whole group of "hardgainers" and ectomorphs who say they can't gain weight (I used to be part of that), you have to start gradually applying some of the concepts in this article. That doesn't mean eat 10000 calories a day right off the bat, it means throw in a candy bar here and there, add some extra mayo every now and then. If you don't have to, then don't do it, because it's obviously unhealthy. If you reach the point where you don't need to eat candy bars, mayo, etc. anymore because you've jump started your weight gain or whatever other reason, then you can stop. If you start to develop high blood cholesterol or blood pressure, then like he says, stop eating dirty. But what this article is is a collection of ideas to bust through weight gain plateaus.

    And someone mentioned that it's unhealthy to be over 300 lbs for too long, and that JM Blakely never addressed that, I quote:

    "Having said that, let me turn the table back on your health. This style of diet can have very serious effects on your body. One effect is a dramatic improvement in your strength. But another effect is an increase in your blood cholesterol level! It would be irresponsible of me to ignore the down side?E So I'll give a few suggestions of what I feel is prudent and responsible behavior that would accompany such an eating program. (It's all common sense, anyway!)

    Have your cholesterol checked before you begin. Get a baseline. If you have high levels, you may want to reconsider and see your doctor about options to lower it.

    Check your cholesterol every 15-20 pounds that you gain. Or every 10 weeks on the diet. Set a limit with your doctor as to how high you will permit it to rise and remain on the diet. If it goes above such-and-such a number, abort .

    Do some form of cardiovascular exercise. Minimum 3 days per week. I know you don't want to spend the precious calories on cardio, but the cv exercise will help keep the cholesterol down as well as abating some of the inevitable sluggishness that comes with weight gain. I've done it both with and without cv and I feel much ,much better with a daily walk. And you can eat just one more snickers bar to cover it. All the while your heart gets some exercise and your metabolism doesn't get so loggy.

    Check your blood pressure at the start and then every four days while on the diet. Get your own monitor or find one of the countless free places that you can have it taken for you. Use the same equipment every time. Expect some increase in bp. Consult your doctor and make a decision as to what you both will tolerate. If your bp goes past the limit you have set, abort."

    And he says a little bit more along those lines, but there ya go, it's a great article from a great lifter.

  25. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    University at Albany
    Posts
    2,513
    Great advice for all those who aren't tough enough to gain weight. JM was a master of weight manipulation.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •