The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by amounirl View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I think it's worth bumping, and just to say one thing:

The point of the article isn't that you have to eat 10000 dirty calories a day no matter who you are and what your goals are. The point of the article is the ideas of how to get in more calories. For the whole group of "hardgainers" and ectomorphs who say they can't gain weight (I used to be part of that), you have to start gradually applying some of the concepts in this article. That doesn't mean eat 10000 calories a day right off the bat, it means throw in a candy bar here and there, add some extra mayo every now and then. If you don't have to, then don't do it, because it's obviously unhealthy. If you reach the point where you don't need to eat candy bars, mayo, etc. anymore because you've jump started your weight gain or whatever other reason, then you can stop. If you start to develop high blood cholesterol or blood pressure, then like he says, stop eating dirty. But what this article is is a collection of ideas to bust through weight gain plateaus.

And he says a little bit more along those lines, but there ya go, it's a great article from a great lifter.
    Thank you - JM is one of the best. Sadly, it's not a shock that so many people can't read an article like this and see the wisdom in it... and thank you RhodeHouse.

My reality is this - I work w. high school kids ALL THE TIME who cry about not being able to put on quality weight and almost 100% of them (and I'm not exaggerating) simply fail to put in the necessary effort at the "training table".

"What do you eat for breakfast?"
    "Umm, well... My first period class is early so..."
    "Sometimes I'll have some juice...."
    "I had an energy bar this morning."

Very rarely do I hear a kid say "I had an orange juice, yogurt, PB&J sandwich, and topped that off with a protein shake." When I do, they are NOT a kid with a problem putting on weight.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

This article makes me want to drop my cutting phase and start eating 6000 calories a day again.

Same issue of the fear of gaining fat stopping progress. You can always cut after if that is what concerns you.

Not to derail the thread, but to the people who are used to eating like monsters. Have you done any heavy conditioning while doing a serious bulk? Did it help keep some fat off while gaining, or did it just slow the gain down overall? Always wondered about this.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

Best Meet Lifts (220 Raw)
    435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

There's nothing more pathetic than making excuses for not being able to gain weight. Unless you have tape worms you're a bitch if you can't.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by DontTakeEmOff31 View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but to the people who are used to eating like monsters. Have you done any heavy conditioning while doing a serious bulk? Did it help keep some fat off while gaining, or did it just slow the gain down overall? Always wondered about this.
    Doing some cardio will go a looooong way towards just making you feel better overall - and that matters a lot when you are heavier than you'd prefer to be anyway.

Walking/hiking, unless you are going really hard and/or more than a few miles/day, shouldn't impact recovery much.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    There's nothing more pathetic than making excuses for not being able to gain weight. Unless you have tape worms you're a bitch if you can't.
    Extremely well said.

Wannabebig New Member
    Last edited by Ender Wiggin; 04-15-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Started a thread.

Had a quick question about bulking overall, didn't think it was worth it to start a thread so I figured I'd post it here.

I'm getting in around 5000 - 5500 calories a day right now. About 3000 of those is from drinking (Gallon of 1% milk, whey and peanut butter shakes, glyco maize + gatorade, and results). Does it really matter that a good portion of my calories are from liquids? I'm guessing it doesn't, but was curious about it either way, as I prefer drinking the calories if I can.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

Best Meet Lifts (220 Raw)
    435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

Had a quick question about bulking overall, didn't think it was worth it to start a thread so I figured I'd post it here.

I'm getting in around 5000 - 5500 calories a day right now. About 3000 of those is from drinking (Gallon of 1% milk, whey and peanut butter shakes, glyco maize + gatorade, and results). Does it really matter that a good portion of my calories are from liquids? I'm guessing it doesn't, but was curious about it either way, as I prefer drinking the calories if I can.
    It makes no difference as long as you're getting the Calories in.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Liquid or solid, its the same. But liquid calories are so much easier to consume. More than half of my cals come from milk and shakes over a 40 pound bulk. I can maybe eat up to 1,000 calories in a sitting, leaving me stuffed, but can always top it off with two cups of milk.
    Last edited by Bako Lifter; 04-21-2012 at 07:22 PM.