Quote Originally Posted by amounirl View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I think it's worth bumping, and just to say one thing:

The point of the article isn't that you have to eat 10000 dirty calories a day no matter who you are and what your goals are. The point of the article is the ideas of how to get in more calories. For the whole group of "hardgainers" and ectomorphs who say they can't gain weight (I used to be part of that), you have to start gradually applying some of the concepts in this article. That doesn't mean eat 10000 calories a day right off the bat, it means throw in a candy bar here and there, add some extra mayo every now and then. If you don't have to, then don't do it, because it's obviously unhealthy. If you reach the point where you don't need to eat candy bars, mayo, etc. anymore because you've jump started your weight gain or whatever other reason, then you can stop. If you start to develop high blood cholesterol or blood pressure, then like he says, stop eating dirty. But what this article is is a collection of ideas to bust through weight gain plateaus.

And he says a little bit more along those lines, but there ya go, it's a great article from a great lifter.
Thank you - JM is one of the best. Sadly, it's not a shock that so many people can't read an article like this and see the wisdom in it... and thank you RhodeHouse.

My reality is this - I work w. high school kids ALL THE TIME who cry about not being able to put on quality weight and almost 100% of them (and I'm not exaggerating) simply fail to put in the necessary effort at the "training table".

"What do you eat for breakfast?"
"Umm, well... My first period class is early so..."
"Sometimes I'll have some juice...."
"I had an energy bar this morning."

Very rarely do I hear a kid say "I had an orange juice, yogurt, PB&J sandwich, and topped that off with a protein shake." When I do, they are NOT a kid with a problem putting on weight.