Thread: Conflicting philosophies in this forum...

spacetime manipulator VariantInterval's Avatar

Conflicting philosophies in this forum...

Everyone praises proper form, good range of motion, etc... Ok, that's all well and good. How come when it comes to benchin heavy, all of a sudden everyone wants to minimize range of motion and do partial benching (aka, ARCH THAT BACK! MINIMIZE THAT ROM! CHEAT the F*CK out of it!). Uhh this makes no sense to me.

A quarter squat wouldn't count as a lift when competiting, would it? So why do benchers get to minimize their ROM by arching like crazy?

I love powerlifting, but this just confuses me to no end.

Banned
    i agree, also when it comes to things such as shoulder raises or standing curls, i always cheat a little bit by throwing myself into the weight instead of standing perfectly still and using perfect form, i can use much more weight this way.

its not bad either way, just different

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    A LOT of the 900+ lb squats aren't even parallel, and still recieve 3 whites.

I really am not seeing your point here.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

For the lift to pass at a powerlifting meet, the bar has to touch the chest with a pause and then be pressed to full extension. Shortening the range of motion increases the amount of weight you use when you accomplish the above goal. The goal of powerlifting is to lift the most weight, so its kind of self explanitory why they use such techniques.

And a quarter squat is different from a 'powerlifting' bench press. For the squat to count, the thighs have to go below parallel. For the bench press to count, the lift has to touch the chest then be pressed to full extension. A quarter squat isn't a squat, but a shortened ROM(thanks to form) presses in powerlifting are still bench presses.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Crippy is right on. Much of powerlifting is working to minimize the required work. And a lot of it is crappy judging. The first is simply how the game is played, and the other is a crappy devolution of standards.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

spacetime manipulator VariantInterval's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    A quarter squat isn't a squat, but a shortened ROM(thanks to form) presses in powerlifting are still bench presses.

quarter squat = "squat" with reduced range of motion = not ok

bench press with extreme arch = "bench press" with reduce range of motion = ok

same situation, 2 different outcomes. why is that? is it just tradition or something?

Banned
    i thought under IPF rules the back has to be flat on the bench for a press to count?

Quote Originally Posted by VariantInterval
    quarter squat = "squat" with reduced range of motion = not ok
    Technically, sure. But the "1/4" part is there for a reason... to seperate it from a legitimate squat.

bench press with extreme arch = "bench press" with reduce range of motion = ok
    Like I said, a bench press = laying on a flat bench, lowering the bar to your chest, and pressing it to lockout.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    i thought under IPF rules the back has to be flat on the bench for a press to count?
    No.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by VariantInterval
    Everyone praises proper form, good range of motion, etc... Ok, that's all well and good. How come when it comes to benchin heavy, all of a sudden everyone wants to minimize range of motion and do partial benching (aka, ARCH THAT BACK! MINIMIZE THAT ROM! CHEAT the F*CK out of it!). Uhh this makes no sense to me.

A quarter squat wouldn't count as a lift when competiting, would it? So why do benchers get to minimize their ROM by arching like crazy?
    I think all the points have already been covered but I'll throw in my two cents. A little arch is a good thing and actually adds stability and greater back involvement. A lot of arch is to minimize ROM. It is within the rules and that is why some powerlifters practice and develop it. It is no different than a cyclist maintaining a tight tuck during a sprint - it might not be desirable for a recreational athlete, but can make a huge difference in performance.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Do that voodoo that he do
    I don't like to see big arches, either. However the rules don't forbid it. Powerlifting is like any other sport or competition in that people are going to stretch right to the edge of the rules in order to be successful. Depth is governed by the rules in squatting, and bench contact is goverened as well. As long as the rules are met everything else is fair game. Do I like it? No. Does my opinion matter? Nope.

I don't really like shirts, but if everyone else is competing with one I'll be wearing one, too.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo