Thread: My sticking points

Hybrid View

My sticking points

Alrighty, so I think I've nailed my weakpoints for my lifts. Funnily enough, they are all basically the same; getting the ****er past the first 20% or so. IE:

Bench Sticking Point: Off Chest
    Squat Sticking Point: From Hole
    DeadL Sticking Point: Off the Ground

Now, I've been thinking how to alleviate these, and am going to try using some:

ME Paused BB Bench
    ME Concentric Squats
    ME Deadlift off Mats

Anyone else got any exercises that will help with my sticking points?

Also, I made and used a GHR today using a Latpulldown station. And, yes, I officially suck. Those bitches are hard.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you can't get the weight off the floor, off the chest, or out of the hole, it could just be too damn heavy. For most people, the sticking point is a little bit higher than that (at the shin, 2-3inches off the chest, 4-5 inches out of the hole).

There are some suggestions in these articles:

http://members.aol.com/ddani12345/deadlift.htm

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459799

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength...es/hanna13.htm

You could also try doing low box squats, DLs w. bands, and pause squats.
    Last edited by Sensei; 05-07-2006 at 02:26 AM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Heh, good call sensei

What I meant was, I can get into the first 5inches or so of the lift, and then it stalls. I'll check those links, thanks.

spacetime manipulator VariantInterval's Avatar
    I was just about to post about this as well. I've noticed my sticking point for flat barbell bench is right when my upper arms are parallel to the floor. To help with this. I tried doing a lift that goes something like : lift off rack, descend slowly, explode off the chest, complete stop at sticking pount, explode out of sticking point. I have no idea if this will help any. Do you guys know?

It sounds like your triceps are weak. I'd do some rack lockouts and floor presses.

For Bench it can be a number of things, weak tris, not enough floor drive, rotator cuffs are weak, not enough arch etc. I'd work backwards from strengthing cuffs, to work with pin presses, then to chains/bands.

Squats is more than likely going to be weak ham/glutes and hipflexors. So box squats, GMs and work with chains.

Deads could be anything from grip to traps. Try alternating between Sumo and conventional, as well as rack pulls and platforms. Yer.

For bench I would maybe so some low rack presses but personally I dont like them, maybe some heavy tricep work?

For squats I would nail the low box squats real heavy

For deads definitelly just start deadlifting off a platform.

Heavy negatives work well for bench

Sound like you need to work on your explosion, i had the same problem, try doing 50% of your max for bench and do 8 sets of 3 and work on exploding up and pushing the weight up fast, it will really help.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

Of the Hill People
    Quote Originally Posted by rbar89
    Sound like you need to work on your explosion, i had the same problem, try doing 50% of your max for bench and do 8 sets of 3 and work on exploding up and pushing the weight up fast, it will really help.
    This would be the dynamic effort of westside barbell fame. I don't know your stats, so I'm not sure if it would be appropriate for you, but if you're interested check out the articles at www.westside-barbell.com and elitefts.com They describe it in great detail.

Of the Hill People
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Heavy negatives work well for bench
    I suspect this is not at all true.

I personally use the paused bb bench for my low end strength, and I've found it to work pretty well, as I've brought my regular bench within 10lbs of my 1board. If it's really at 5 inches, then you should either do some higher board presses or work on your arch and form to try to minimize your ROM. Keeping your bench form on and flairing the elbows appropriately should help, too.
    For the bottom range of squat/deadlift, anderson squats should help quite a bit. I've never had anything help my deadlift as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothar
    I suspect this is not at all true.

I personally use the paused bb bench for my low end strength, and I've found it to work pretty well, as I've brought my regular bench within 10lbs of my 1board. If it's really at 5 inches, then you should either do some higher board presses or work on your arch and form to try to minimize your ROM. Keeping your bench form on and flairing the elbows appropriately should help, too.
    For the bottom range of squat/deadlift, anderson squats should help quite a bit. I've never had anything help my deadlift as much.

So any LOGICAL reasoning behind negative benchpressing not being affective???

Moreso can you prove that the downward portion of the rep isnt the more intense portion?? Personally heavy negatives lit a fire under my bench, shooting me from 295 to 335 wrather quicky... alot quicker then getting from 265 to 295 I can tell you that.

Of the Hill People
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    So any LOGICAL reasoning behind negative benchpressing not being affective???

Moreso can you prove that the downward portion of the rep isnt the more intense portion?? Personally heavy negatives lit a fire under my bench, shooting me from 295 to 335 wrather quicky... alot quicker then getting from 265 to 295 I can tell you that.
    are you seriously saying that lowering the barbell is more difficult than pushing it back up? they have a pretty low opinion of negatives over at elitefts i believe, and i've never really heard about powerlifters employing it.