The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Skinny kid looking for alot of help!

Hey whats up guys? Just signed up hoping you guys could help me out.

I'm 19 years old, 5'8 120 lbs, vegetarian (no fish either, but all the dairy is fine). I recently signed up for a membership at my local gym, but have several questions.

I used to work out half ass every now and then, and wouldn't really see gains (obviously), but this summer I'm going to be serious about it and stay consistent. That being said, how can I gain mass and muscle? Can anyone offer a routine for me? Even though I used to workout a bit, and know a few things, I want to do it right this summer. Ideally I would like to weight about 135-140 lbs after 4 months, and have most of that be muscle. Is it possible and how would I go about doing it? I'm on summer vacation right now so I have all the time in the world, and I will be truly dedicated. I know my diet will be very important, but being a vegetarian makes this aspect a little more difficult. I'm assuming I should buy some whey protein to help?

To summarize everything since I went off on a couple tangents:

1. Skinny kid, vegetarian, tough to gain weight, looking to add 15-20 lbs in 4 months
    2. Can someone offer a specific routine for me? (Type of exercise, reps, sets, etc...)
    3. In terms of diet, what protein should I be looking to get, how many cals/day etc...

Thanks alot fellas!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I know something that might help... stop being a vegetarian! If not, your only hope is in manufactured protein and cottage cheese
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

If your a vegetarian your lacking protein you need protein to build muscle you prolly need to take whey protein your suppose to consume atleast 1gram of protein per 1pound of body weight.

Track your calories at www.getfit.com
    Last edited by Bam; 05-08-2006 at 01:11 AM.
    Stats

Current(May1st) (June8th) Goals(September 1st)
    Bench 245 -------255-----300(reached 225x6 june 14th)
    Squat 350 -------injured----450
    Deadlift 315 ------injured----370

height 5"11
    weight 185(stay at 185)
    40(tested 4/19/06)4.75

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

Hey man ..

Well to get you started, i suggest checking out the wbb1 routine or Built's BGB routine. Either routine will do you great.

As far as gaining weight/muscle goes, you have to eat more. If you have the dedication track your calories on fitday.com so you can see exactly how many calories you're taking in per day. It's pretty easy from there. If you arn't gaining weight or arn't gaining fast enough, you need to up the calories per day. If you're gaining too fast, then lower the calories a tad.

You'll want a minimum of 1g protein times your bodyweight per day. I'd shoot for 1.2+. I'm not a vegetarian so i don't exactly know a bunch of protein filled foods you could eat, but some whey will help.

You can check out all the forms on exercises at exrx.net.

With your noob gains, and being so skinny.. it really shouldn't be that difficult to put on 15-20lbs in the next 4 months without putting much fat on. You have to eat more though, like i said.

Remember - lift heavy, eat a lot, sleep well, and eat a lot. Good luck man.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Nuts are your friend, eat them. They are full of calories, they are full of protein, and they are good for you. Natural peanut butter is a good friend too. But in all honesty, vegetarian + gaining muscle mass = not very likely. You are really really going to have to bust your ass in the gym, and track your cals on fitday.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade
    Nuts are your friend, eat them. They are full of calories, they are full of protein, and they are good for you. Natural peanut butter is a good friend too. But in all honesty, vegetarian + gaining muscle mass = not very likely. You are really really going to have to bust your ass in the gym, and track your cals on fitday.
    you can gain muscle and be vegetarian, i'm a vegetarian of over 20 yrs, and i get 180g+ of protein a day!
    Last edited by getfit; 05-08-2006 at 02:23 AM.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

to the OP, what exactly are you eating?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Bam
    If your a vegetarian your lacking protein you need protein to build muscle you prolly need to take whey protein your suppose to consume atleast 1gram of protein per 1pound of body weight.

Track your calories at www.getfit.com
    www.fitday.com its free

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by method115
    Free > 10 bucks a month.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks guy, good info.

So since it will be difficult to gain weight and whatnot, several of you have suggest proteins and supplements. I don't mind taking these, but as I went to other boards to get more opinions, I got varying advice. If I put it all together, how does this sound:

Diet:
    Eating that many calories for a vegetaraian will be difficult, I have a Weightgainer from GNC, Weightgainer 1850 which is loaded with calories and proteins obviously. What if I take that + Whey Protein + NOXplode (Creatine that someone suggested?) Would this be overkill and be unhealthy? In order to reach the calories without eating meat (I'm a vegetarian b/c of religion), would this be the best route to go?

As far as working out, I hear ya guys on the lift big with lower reps. I worked out for the first time today on shoulders/tris, just to get it going. I did

3 x 8 weighted dips
    3 x 8 hammers? Not sure what this was called, it's where you take the dumbbell, sit down, with two hands you bring the dumbbell up and down behind your head while keeping your elbows locked in. Similar to tricep extensions I think.
    3 x 8 pushdowns, again, not sure what this is called anymore. Sit down, push down on the machine.
    3 x 8 shoulder press
    3 x 8 lateral raises?
    3 x 8 military press

Not sure what you guys think of this, but my friend just joined up with me and I told him we were going to start today. He's actually never been in the gym, so I had to start off with something until I got something more concrete from you guys.

do you eat eggs?

gain 50lbs-Anthony

I can't believe no one has mentioned eggs (you do eat eggs, don't you?).

Find or make a training plan and stick with it. Be disciplined in your diet and your training and you'll make gains just fine. At 5'8", 120, you have a lot of potential to grow...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei

Find or make a training plan and stick with it. Be disciplined in your diet and your training and you'll make gains just fine. At 5'8", 120, you have a lot of potential to grow...

gain 50lbs-Anthony

i hate fitday it never has any of the foods that i eat in there, and i cant be arsed to add them myself
    Weight: 180
    height: 6ft 2"
    BF: 14-18%

Training for: 2.5 months

Bench: 176lb
    Deadlift: 260lb
    squat: ?

fitday had all the foods I needed. The only ones I had to add were the random TV dinners I would eat here and there for a quick meal when I'm lazy
    Last edited by method115; 05-08-2006 at 11:50 AM.

3 x 8 hammers? Not sure what this was called, it's where you take the dumbbell, sit down, with two hands you bring the dumbbell up and down behind your head while keeping your elbows locked in. Similar to tricep extensions I think.
    That's called the French Press
    Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.

Wannabebig Member

Yea I can eat eggs.

I certainly will be disciplined since I really want to see gains. But still would like advice with this:

Diet:
    Eating that many calories for a vegetaraian will be difficult, I have a Weightgainer from GNC, Weightgainer 1850 which is loaded with calories and proteins obviously. What if I take that + Whey Protein + NOXplode (Creatine that someone suggested?) Would this be overkill and be unhealthy? In order to reach the calories without eating meat (I'm a vegetarian b/c of religion), would this be the best route to go?

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    Great minds think alike!
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Ocho
    Yea I can eat eggs.

I certainly will be disciplined since I really want to see gains. But still would like advice with this:

Diet:

Thoughts?
    Read the sticky on what a bodybuilder eats in the nutrition forum and make adjustments accordingly based on your dietary habits.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Great minds think alike!
    well then you think like a girl =) hehe..

But seriously though, if you're a vegetarian then i think tofus and egg-whites are your friends. my friend makes migas - eggs with tortillas i think. but if you can eat fish, then you have a broader range of options.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ocho
    Yea I can eat eggs.

Diet:

Thoughts?

I have no idea about NOXplode, I'm barely even a beginner. Here's my diet for a day though:
    I'm a vegetarian (155lbs), and I get 225g of protein/day, with 2 shakes of Nitrean, 1 shake of Opticen a day (100g of protein this way). The only egg protein I get is from Nitrean and Opticen. But if you don't mind eating eggs, you're even better off. I hate the smell of eggs, but Nitrean doesn't smell like eggs!

I eat a lot of garbanzo beans, black beans with brown rice/whole wheat bread. Then there's two tablespoons of natural peanut butter with whole wheat bread. Boca burgers are a good way for soy protein. So are spinach and broccoli (I eat this with pasta + black beans). I just hope that by mixing in all these foods, they create complete proteins.

My pre-sleep snack is a cup of cottage cheese with a scoop of whey (around 40g of protein).

All this adds up to around 3000 calories/day.

Someone also mentioned Steve Holt : http://ksteveh.tripod.com/vegetarian...lder_home.html

BUT, I've only been eating this way for around a month or so, so take all this with a lot of salt.

Good luck!

You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    What's in cottage cheese thats good for you? (always wondered and forgot about asking)

Cottage cheese is low in fat and carbohydrates while high in protein.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

How exactly are eggs vegetarian food?
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    How exactly are eggs vegetarian food?
    Total Vegetarians eat only plant food. They do not eat any animal foods, including fish, eggs, dairy products, and honey.
    Vegans not only omit all animal products from their diets, but they also eliminate them from the rest of their life. Vegans use nothing from animals, such as leather, wool, and silk.
    Lacto-Vegetarians will include dairy products into their diet of plant food.
    Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarians eat both eggs and dairy products.
    Pesco-Vegetarians include fish into their diets.
    Pollo-Vegetarians eat poultry, such as chicken, turkey, and duck.

gain 50lbs-Anthony