The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder

Shoulder

Hurt my right shoulder so badly, it's unbelievable. The pain is terrible, and it comes on after lifting anything even a little heavy. If it's an RC tear, it's unlike any RC tear I've ever had. Typing is hard. The pain also goes down to my elbow, and sometimes my wrist. What else could it be other than an RC tear? Had it for roughly a week or so. Took three days off, but just lifted a light girl (107lbs or so) and it's back worse than ever. It's seriously dehabilitating. Any ideas or suggestions? I needed to lift tomorrow so goddamn bad, and this just ruined my night.

-- Mike
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'd see a doctor of some sort.

Australia - Where the women really go down under!
    don't lift, let it heal, but first of all go see a doctor now!
    "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

I had a problem, it could be inflamation in ur RC, or tendonitis in ur RC. I had both :-x

And i had pain go down my arm as well.
    Call me, Johnny. Thanks
    Check out my JOURNAL!

STATS as of: March, 2006

Current/Goal
    Weight: 240 +/-
    Height: 6'3.5
    Bench: 330bs touch and go / 360lbs paused
    Squat: 385lbs / 405lbs
    Clean: 255lbs / 285lbs
    40: 5.3 / 5.0
    Vert: 23 / 28

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Dude, see a doc and take a few weeks off. 3 days won't do squat for healing a bad tear.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

I think it's tendonitis; makes perfect sense.

It's somewhat better this morning. I know it would be horrible again if I tried to pick anything up.

I'm not going to go see a doctor, primarily because (a) I don't think I need to and (b) I don't have health insurance. Obviously, I'm not going to lift for a bit. Even legs, I guess. I feel like my dog just died or something.

Yea, prolly tendonitis.
    Call me, Johnny. Thanks
    Check out my JOURNAL!

STATS as of: March, 2006

Current/Goal
    Weight: 240 +/-
    Height: 6'3.5
    Bench: 330bs touch and go / 360lbs paused
    Squat: 385lbs / 405lbs
    Clean: 255lbs / 285lbs
    40: 5.3 / 5.0
    Vert: 23 / 28

Just pray it ain't a labrum tear.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    If it's an RC tear, it's unlike any RC tear I've ever had.

Exactly how many times have you torn your rotator cuff?

Sounds more like an impingement than tendonitis.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

^^^^^
    I agree with Nash. As far as i know, tendonitus wouldn't be giving you pain further down your arm. Whereas theres a chance an impingement would.
    Last edited by Stackattack; 02-20-2006 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stackattack
    ^^^^^
    I agree with Nash. As far as i know, tendonitus wouldn't be giving you pain further down your arm. Whereas theres a chance an impingement would.
    Shoulder tendonitis could cause pain down the arm, but a bursitis can easily cause pain that goes down the arm, as I have personally experienced, with no movement at all.

So, MM, when and how does it hurt? What arm positions? Do you have full ROM?

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

bone crusher
    sounds like irritation of a nerve.

mix, sometimes bursa located near major nerves can become inflamed (bursitis) and irritate the nerve causing pain

Quote Originally Posted by the doc
    sounds like irritation of a nerve.

mix, sometimes bursa located near major nerves can become inflamed (bursitis) and irritate the nerve causing pain
    Yep. This is exactly my issue. It acts up primarily after waking up, when I have slept with my shoulder rolled poorly, but also occurs after sitting with my arm resting on a chair arm. The pain is relieved by lifting the arm above the head.

Nash --

It's a very strange injury. It didn't hurt when I was in the gym, but actually the next day. Indeed, my last workout before the injury was one of the better chest workouts I've ever had. The shoulder did start hurting in the morning, which at first led me to believe that I had slept on it poorly. I guess this was last Thursday... the three major times when it's been very bad were (1) when I did a leg workout Thursday afternoon, it was killing me from lifting plates and squatting (2) Friday night when I lifted a girl and (3) Sunday night when I lifted the same girl. But it's hurt every day. I have 100% ROM. And the arm does hurt more when I'm sitting and it's resting on my lap or the couch arm or what not. It hurts right now as I'm typing; I get sharp spasms of pain from my forearm to my wrist area, and occasionally in the elbow area.

Shooter -- I probably shouldn't be so generous by calling everything an RC tear; I've hurt my RC's enough times that I've thought they were tears, and I've had to take time off. Probably they were not always tears.

Any help would be appreciated.

In my limited experience, if there's no acute trauma, such as during lifting, it's probably not a muscle tear. However, the RC muscles are deep and small trauma may be masked. But sleeping and stretching the RC tendons are also a strong candidate.

Does your arm hurt while raised? While supporting weight raised?

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    In my limited experience, if there's no acute trauma, such as during lifting, it's probably not a muscle tear. However, the RC muscles are deep and small trauma may be masked. But sleeping and stretching the RC tendons are also a strong candidate.

Does your arm hurt while raised? While supporting weight raised?
    To be honest with you, it does not hurt at all when raised; by raised I mean as though I were raising my hand to field a question in class. It doesn't hurt when supporting weight at the moment, raised or unraised. It starts to hurt after lifting, mostly, i.e. as with that girl that I lifted yesterday. After I did that it was terrible.

I agree with you that tears seem to happen immediately while performing an action, which was why I did not think it was a tear and tendonitis sounded reasonable. I've never even heard of what you're talking about.

You think a week off will heal it up?

You think a week off will heal it up?
    It's been 8 years since I slept with my elbow propped up for 6 hours on a flight in a seat that didn't recline. I still have occasional pain. I blame Air France.

Sorry.

It's been 8 years since I slept with my elbow propped up for 6 hours on a flight in a seat that didn't recline. I still have occasional pain. I blame Air France.

Sorry.
    ****ing France.

To be honest with you, it does not hurt at all when raised

I'm 99% sure it isn't a rotator cuff tear, then.

Mint
    It could be an inflamed bicep tendon. It's a pretty common bench press injury and would account for what you describe. But who knows, really.

When I hurt my shoulder and elbow I was forced to completely eliminate all pushing AND pulling movement from my program. I went two months without pressing in order to let everything heal.

I was pretty depressed at first, but I switched my program up to focus on squatting and had good results. Now I've resumed pressing (pain free!), my strength is not diminished and I did not experience any noticable atrophy.

My point is, don't be scared to take as long as you need to heal. Just do what you can in the gym, keep your diet in check and it'll probably turn out fine.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

There is a -.08% chance that I'll take anything more than a little over a week off. I already feel weak and scrawny. All I want to do is lift.

My bicep does hurt.

Update: It's doing quite a bit better. Still some pain in the three areas mentioned (shoulder, wrist, elbow) but not very severe. Lifting planned for Sunday or Monday.

Don't do it.

Spend a week doing rehab workouts. It's good deloading in any case.

Don't do it.

Spend a week doing rehab workouts. It's good deloading in any case.
    So what would you suggest as reloading workouts? I'm serious. I've thought about it and I know it'll be hard to break from routine. Any specific advice? I mean, it's still hurting... I really feel like my body looks like **** right now, though, and I want to lift really bad. What should my workouts look like?