The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

looking for opinions of what i should change/do

okay my goal, despite posting this on wannabebig, is to have a 'fitness' look. in fact i am considering trying to find if i am of the right caliber to do any fitness modelling (any thoughts on whether i'm at that level or not woudl be greatly appreciated, i can deal with criticism so don't hold back).

here's recent photos, most were after workouts when i was pumped. some i had to do (you'll be able to tell which) wiht the cam by myself using the timer, so angle/positioning/lighting is kind of garbage, but i think they're sufficient to show what you need to see.

(oh for any modelling opinions, i think i have a good looking face, but can't post it in a public forum for obvious reasons)

but basically i think i'm about where i should be for weight, i am 5'7'' with around 7% bf (best calculation, def right around there tho), weighing mid / low 150's. my thoughts for what needs improvement basically boils down to making my chest bigger. i think it is the only thing out of proportion, but i'd love to hear whatever comments anyone is willing to share
    Last edited by jazer80; 05-15-2006 at 01:49 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jazer80; 05-15-2006 at 01:57 PM.

back shot

back shot1

back shot2

With a tan, i think you could take over the underwear industry.

Go get a deeper tan. do something a with your hair.

It's fine now, but it could be better.

edit: I'm talking facial/side burns too.
    Last edited by Eszekial; 05-15-2006 at 01:57 PM.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

front shot2

Quote Originally Posted by Eszekial
    With a tan, i think you could take over the underwear industry.

Go get a deeper tan. do something a with your hair.

It's fine now, but it could be better.

edit: I'm talking facial/side burns too.
    yeah i typically tan, for a very low time, like weekly, but have been too busy to care about it lately. i'm sure i'd need to tan before any kind of real work tho (actually a buddy of mine knows basics of this stuff, and said they can make you look as tan as they want when they're deealing with you, like spray on stuff i'd imagine)

either way, tan and hair are much easier to address, do you think i need to bring my chest out more? or anything else? i know my legs are a little skinny, but i dont' really have a need to bring them out really. i do still train them, but in more of an endurance approach (100% of my leg training is crossfit style, like front squats/thrusters, overhead barbell squats, etc, usually going for time)

as far as hair, i've typically done the 'kind of long on top, faded down to a #2 on bottom, with edges cut'. now i've been letting it be kind of different like that, just the 'i don't care about my hair look'. i dunno, i like it and my fiance loves it, but again we're not really unbiased observers... (also those pics are all either right after or during workouts, well the front pics anyways, so my hair is all wet and messed up more than usual)
    Last edited by jazer80; 05-15-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Right, i suppose that would work wonders. But you need to get the job first! Bring your best

I am, i suppose, an unbiased observer, but IMHO guys always look worse in pictures than in RL.

So take it with a grain of salt.

Just my 2cents.
    Last edited by Eszekial; 05-15-2006 at 02:04 PM.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Damn dude, you're looking great! If you want to get bigger but remain lean just go on a slow, clean bulk. I wish I had your abs!

Wannabebig Member
    Looks good man, how long have you been working out?

fuker, makes me want to lose 20 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by 88gt17ma
    Looks good man, how long have you been working out?
    working out since when... hmmmmmm; i guess i began with 15lbs dumbbells in my mid teens, maybe early teens, then started on with my cell tech shakes (seriously) in mid teens/late teens, never made progress. always played sports and did ignorant lifting moves (shoulder press and curls were the bulk of my routine).

in high school i got real serious in off season from wrestling. i ended up doing some real respectable stuff wrestling, and would've done even better had i not had to end 2 separate seasons early (rotator cuff messed up in sectionals of my soph year, whiplash from destroying my car in my senior year, where i was 'ranked' in the online things as 6th overall in teh state). i've lifted pretty seriously since freshman year i guess, that's when i learned benching and 'real' lifts.

i was never able to actually put on weight though, i just got stronger and stronger, until i found this site (no bs). when i found this site i finally came to the realization that benching, doing curls, and taking creatine COULDN'T TAKE THE PLACE OF >3500 CALORIES DAILY!!! THANKS WBB! haha i'm dead serious about that tho, i was never able to put on a pound until i found this site and learned about diet. if those damn magazines and sales associates had shed some light on the matter like this site does i would probably be 10 - 20lbs bigger now, unless i decided i wanted to stop growing. i've probably only been able to gain weight as i wanted to for like 2 years, maybe 3. dunno when i registered to this site

Quote Originally Posted by Progress
    Damn dude, you're looking great! If you want to get bigger but remain lean just go on a slow, clean bulk. I wish I had your abs!
    i don't have to go clean, i actually make my best gains on a half-hydroponic diet (like 1500 calories of malto/whey shakes daily). i never put on fat my metabolism is way way too high. i need about 3500 calories to put on modest gains, and i weigh low 150's

arms look great, looking absolutely fantastic for your weight, the only thing i would try to improve are the delts.

yeah i need to start shoulder pressing more
    Last edited by jazer80; 05-15-2006 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kw1k
    i need to grow?

how many pounds?

i'm looking for real specific recommendations, if i even really do have a chance of doing any fitness modelling

ah the ol fitness model route. Well hair cut has to be in place. And you may want to put on about 10 more pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ederon
    ah the ol fitness model route. Well hair cut has to be in place. And you may want to put on about 10 more pounds.
    i'm only half-pursuing it. i always get friends/family comments that i look like i'm a fitness model, and i kind of think i do, but of course all of that is biased, so i'm finally posting publicly about it. i know typically you pay for a portfolio, and/or go to auditions. i'm not interested in spending a penny out of pocket, i'm just gonna post my bio on free places with my pics and if i get called, and have a set in stone appointment for somethign that i can get paid for, i'm down. basically it's part financial and part just to do it, but i don't have the time to do auditions or waste time/money doing the traditional route, so i'm basically gonna half-ass it with pics and hope for the best. at worst, i wasted about an hour of time, at best maybe i can do stuff and get some loot for easy work

just generalized 10lbs to my whole frame? like you mean everything is in proportion, but just needs some more size? if not perfect proportions, what to bring out. someone mentioned shoulders, and i agree, which is cool because i thought it was just chest, but am now thinking of working on both. (see i have been 10lbs heavier before, but i was actually smaller in my upper half, i was just sporting way bigger thighs because i was doing westside and my thighs ballooned haha. when i stopped heavy squatting they shrunk really quickly. but putting on 10lbs overall, if evenly distributed, won't do a ton to my upper half, but 10lbs in my upper half would be real noticable.)

oh also i'm 5'7'' if i didn't already mention

about the haircut, i would only cut it if need be, like if i were able to get decent $ for modelling with it cut. i really think it looks good in real life with my face, i wish i coudl put up some face shots but i can't.
    Last edited by jazer80; 05-16-2006 at 10:25 AM.

the truth of the matter is that to become a fitness model theres a ton of competition so if you try to 1/2 ass it sorry to say but i don't think you will go far. There's alot of people who have the look and still come up short. In any case it's your choice. I would say work on your chest, more incline bench with dumb, and barbell.
    STATS:
    Toronto
    6'0" 210lbs

Quote Originally Posted by ederon
    the truth of the matter is that to become a fitness model theres a ton of competition so if you try to 1/2 ass it sorry to say but i don't think you will go far. There's alot of people who have the look and still come up short. In any case it's your choice. I would say work on your chest, more incline bench with dumb, and barbell.
    yeah i know halfing it seriously destroys my chances. but let me give you a little insight into my perspective here.

i am finishing college right now, and have two profitable jobs, and beginner modelling would never be able to compete, monetarily, with my jobs. the time wasted on elaborate portfolios, auditions, etc, would be a loss for me, as i would have to put off things that brought in more money than modelling.

i know you're thinking that although it's slow in the beginning, it would pick up. however, i am going to be wrapping up college in like 7 months, at which point i will be buying a small apartment building to begin my real estate investing career. so at that point my income will spike much higher, and modelling still wouldn't be able to compete.

i figured since i'm in the shape of those pictures at any given day of the year, maybe putting some pics up could result in some beginner work where i could make more in a day doing something modelling related than i could at work. even if it could just be on par with what i make at work i'd probably do it for a quick change of scenary.

also, i don't want to disagree with you because i don't know much about hte modelling industry, but i was told by a kid who used to be in the industry that if you have the physique they're looking for you should be able to get by, and that paying out of pocket for portfolios in teh beginning is basically a scam to get cash from people who don't have much of a shot at getting work.

Wannabebig Member
    It's all a matter of who you know or how much lucky you have! I think we all can agree people get discovered and signed right off the street never even wanting to model. Others spend thousands on portfolios in hopes to live out a dream that will never be realized. Eh... still it never hurts to give it your all if it is something you really want to pursue.

Lucky for you, you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and your real estate investment plan (though sounding like another big dream in and of itself, but who knows what your situation is) is probably your best bet. Maybe we'll see you a few years down the road on tv trying to scam other people into thinking they can be as successful!

You look great btw and good luck w/ everything!
    Last edited by strtnout; 05-16-2006 at 08:14 PM.

thats a sick looking back, needs some more mass though

Quote Originally Posted by strtnout
    It's all a matter of who you know or how lucky you have! I think we all can agree people get discovered and signed right off the street never even wanting to model. Others spend thousands on portfolios in hopes to live out a dream that will never be realized. Eh... still it never hurts to give it your all if it is something you really want to pursue.

Lucky for you, you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and your real estate investment plan (though sounding like another big dream in and of itself, but who knows what your situation is) is probably your best bet. Maybe we'll see you a few years down the road on tv trying to scam other people into thinking they can be as successful!

You look great btw and good luck w/ everything!
    haha hopefully i will be. i learned a lot from a guy who is sooo like that, but when you're with him in real life he's a totally cool guy. he hypes his stuff so much it makes me sick to the point where i don't really like going to any of his meetings, but in real life he's cool. the meetings are filled with total deadbeats who aren't going anywhere, looking for quick cash (as i'm sure nobody here doubted in the first place).

it's not a big dream by any means, it's not a 'no money down' approach, i'm going there with my fiance, some very very solid savings, two perfect credit scores, and a TON of knowledge, so it should pan out real well. we'll see. i've still got like 7 months and plan on knowing every last detail like the back of my hand before i get there, as that's the only way i'm not scared ****less of buying my first piece of property when it's a >4unit building (it's going to be a laugh seeing how disrespected i am by tenants being 22 and all....)
    Last edited by jazer80; 05-16-2006 at 07:59 PM.