Thread: Smith squats to aid Free weight squats

Smith squats to aid Free weight squats

I'm a tall guy [6' 3"] and have trouble with deep squatting. I've worked on a lot of stretching for a long time and have noticed significant results - i can squat much, much deeper than i previously could. Although i am greatly pleased, i'd much prefer to go even deeper without having to bend forwrd so much. I asked a guy at my gym who can quite happily squat 3 plates a side ATF and he suggested that light weight smith squats can help this, as it has helped him. He also said that stretching wouldn't work but i am testiment that this is total bollocks so i am quite unsure and would appriciate any input on the situation.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

I think it should be able to. I mean it's a different exercise when you do that but if that's your goal I guess it would work. It would almost be like, whatever that exercise is called, where you have your back to the wall and bend into a seated position. I think I read latty and beercan do them in their new routine. Maybe they have more info on this.

Obviously those wouldn't replace squats though. And I'll assume you've experimented with different stances...
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    I've always been naturally flexible so I dunno about the stretching...what helped me, I'd do my normal sets, just to parralell. I'd do a fourth set then, dropping the weight down and doing em ATF for about 10-15 reps. Helped me handle more weight to parralell

Yes Pietro, i have.

The deepest i can go is currently with a slightly wider than shoulder stance with toes pointing diagnally out slightly.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

I'd say give it a try...if you can focus almost entirely on ROM instead of balance, weight, tempo, etc then you could increase the range. Consider it almost like weight-assisted stretch. With the smith machine you can do all this with little risk of hurting yourself or looking like a jackass when you throw the bar backwards and land on your as$.

Perhaps also doing some direct hip movements can aid as well. This is what I'm starting to do.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I've found that my ROM has increased simply from doing the exercise. With squats I'm now able to squat much deeper than what I could when I first started going below parallel (BTW, I use a slightly wider than shoulder width stance with toes pointed outward as well). I think is epitomized with SLDLs. When I first started SLDLing I could barely let the bar go to mid-shin level without bending my knees. Now I SLDL on a platform and bring the bar down to my toes (and could probably go further if there was a way). I don't do much stretching at all, just regular progressing with the weight seems to help my ROM. As for smith squats helping or not, I don't know that they really helped that much. I mean, that guy could have gained the same increase in squat depth just from doing regular squats...

Home of the 2002 Pacific Division Champ Sacramento Kings
    Doing squats in the Smith Machine is nice because you don't have to worry about things like balance, and because you don't have that worry, you can let yourself go as far as you want. I'm not saying take your ass to the floor, but I think you'll get the results you're after.

Also, unless you put your feet way out of in front of you, smith squats have some nasty sheering forces on your knees which can cause some major problems...

What I did was include a few light sets of ATF squats after the parallel squats. That helped me increase my ROM.

Pause squats especially can build strength in that area, from parallel on down.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I'd stay away fromt he Smith - there are other ways to accomplish what you are trying to do.

First, keep stretching. Load a barbell (light weight), squat down, and let the weight stretch you lower.

Fiddle with your stance.

Try PMDL's suggestion to do a couple of sets (low reps, light weight) working only on depth.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Trap bar deadlifts may be your ticket.

Trap bar is the diamond shape bar that you stand inside.

This may help your balance and take your lower back out of the picture somewhat.

Wannabebig Member

some tips

As a tall squatter myself, using first a bench to squat on (in a power rack) then a smaller box- allowed me to get deep into the squating motion.

Bench (or Box) Squats- look for info from Louie Simmons

You will use a lighter weight at first, but this will improve your depth perception when doing a standard free weight squat.

NUgg
    *nugg*

just keep working with the free weight squat. since you are taller widen your stance. that should help you with going deeper.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, appriciated.

BTW, i don;t have access to a trap bar.