Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marines

Marines

i am considering joining the marines, does anyone have any advice?
    20 yrs old
    6'2" 210 lbs
    9% BF
    bench 330 x 2
    squat 415 x 8

once a marine always a marine

Use the search function.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Dont

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Dont

Why's that?
    20 yrs old
    6'2" 210 lbs
    9% BF
    bench 330 x 2
    squat 415 x 8

Wait until the war is over.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by crunkdizzle
    i am considering joining the marines, does anyone have any advice?

Do you have the grades, intelligence, perseverance and determination to go to college? If you don't, I would highly recommend joing one of the military branches. Would I suggest the Marines, no. There are many more safer alternatives and you have just as much opportunity, if not more, in other branches.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Marines are always the first to fight (and die) and the last to leave. Unless the prospect of war sounds fun to you, I'd suggest a different branch if you must go the military route. I was in the Army, which is okay if you pick the right MOS. It always seemed like the Navy and Air Force had all the fun sh*t to play with and nicer bases and barracks, though. I'd go with either of those.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    Marines are always the first to fight (and die) and the last to leave. Unless the prospect of war sounds fun to you, I'd suggest a different branch if you must go the military route. I was in the Army, which is okay if you pick the right MOS. It always seemed like the Navy and Air Force had all the fun sh*t to play with and nicer bases and barracks, though. I'd go with either of those.
    Looking at statistics your incorrect. According to http://www.deathsiniraq.com/casualti...arybranch.html, the Army has many more casualities and the Marines are far behind in second. I do, however, agree with joining the Air Force or Navy. I have two reasons for joining the Air Force or Navy. My uncle was in the Navy and he was a nuclear teacher there. He is now working at the nuclear power plant (forget the name) and is making well over 100k per year, and he receives a pension. I have another uncle, whom is in the Air Force, making well over 50k a year as a Captain and is doing very well for his family.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Let me ask you something, crunk.

Do you fantasize about killing insurgents?

If you said "YES" than the marines are for you!

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003
    Looking at statistics your incorrect. According to http://www.deathsiniraq.com/casualti...arybranch.html, the Army has many more casualities and the Marines are far behind in second. I do, however, agree with joining the Air Force or Navy. I have two reasons for joining the Air Force or Navy. My uncle was in the Navy and he was a nuclear teacher there. He is now working at the nuclear power plant (forget the name) and is making well over 100k per year, and he receives a pension. I have another uncle, whom is in the Air Force, making well over 50k a year as a Captain and is doing very well for his family.
    Enlisted and officer can be extremely different.

I am guessing your uncle who was the teacher was commisioned.

Watch Jarhead before you decide. It's not as much Rambo as you might think.

Man it would suck to be an Iraqi-American Soldier having to kill probably someone related to you and not knowing it. Just something I always thought sucked.

Aren't there also a lot more soldiers enlisted in the army and the marines?

i.e. if there are 50 soldiers in the army and 10 of them die, and there are 8 soldiers in the marines and they all die, I would say that the army is the safer branch.

If you go into the army just don't do infantry.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 05-10-2006 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizatch
    Aren't there also a lot more soldiers enlisted in the army and the marines?

i.e. if there are 50 soldiers in the army and 10 of them die, and there are 8 soldiers in the marines and they all die, I would say that the army is the safer branch.
    I'm glad someone pointed that out. But...Marines>*
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Quote Originally Posted by arya202
    Watch Jarhead before you decide. It's not as much Rambo as you might think.

Man it would suck to be an Iraqi-American Soldier having to kill probably someone related to you and not knowing it. Just something I always thought sucked.
    Not to be an ass but have you, or anyone you know ever been associated in any form with the military?

I would never suggest basing a decision on the events of a hollywood production.

Seriously.

No matter how real it may be or seem, movies should not be a way to gain insight in order to influence a decision that will change someone's life. That's my opinion.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 05-10-2006 at 08:01 AM.

It's all right to be an ass slim because the guy doens't know what the hell he's talking about.

I've never been a marine but I'm pretty sure that when marines see a group of men with camels out in the desert they don't say, "What do we do now?"

I'm also pretty sure that when they are riding in the back of a truck and a civilian woman drives by they don't sexually harrass her like in the movie.

Need I go on?

My brother was in the Army and he loved it. Makes it difficult to have a normal family, but I guess that's a risk to weigh.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003
    As others have pointed out, you may have misinterpreted this statistic. There are more soldiers than there are Marines so naturally there will be more soldiers killed.

Anyway, if I were you and really wanted to join the Corps, something I did want to do at the end of college, I'd go to college first. You can go to school, spend your summers in training (PLC) and then go to the basic school after you graduate. Then you'd be a Marine officer. Alternatively, you can just get your education then go to OCS after you graduate.

I also suggest reading this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/027...Fencoding=UTF8

Talk to an OSO, above all.
    Last edited by Progress; 05-10-2006 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle
    I would never suggest basing a decision on the events of a hollywood production.
    Hmmm. I may have to rethink my bet with Mortimer about that homeless man.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by Progress
    As others have pointed out, you may have misinterpreted this statistic. There are more soldiers than there are Marines so naturally there will be more soldiers killed.

Anyway, if I were you and really wanted to join the Corps, something I did want to do at the end of college, I'd go to college first. You can go to school, spend your summers in training (PLC) and then go to the basic school after you graduate. Then you'd be a Marine officer. Alternatively, you can just get your education then go to OCS after you graduate.

I also suggest reading this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/027...Fencoding=UTF8

Talk to an OSO, above all.

well the reason im thinkin about going is that i would have way more money doing this, way more dicipline, a lot of respect, and more knowledge. i wouldnt go to school then go to the marines.. if i decided to go to school i would first go to the marines, then school. that way school would be free. i know you guys say that marines go first over to war, but it depends on your job, im still thinking of what i want to do in there. but i was gonna do something that has the least chances of going to iraq, while still being interesting to me.

thank all of you for your help
    20 yrs old
    6'2" 210 lbs
    9% BF
    bench 330 x 2
    squat 415 x 8

just join the air force - from what I hear it's a piece of cake.

well the reason im thinkin about going is that i would have way more money doing this
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

way more dicipline, a lot of respect, and more knowledge. i wouldnt go to school then go to the marines.. if i decided to go to school i would first go to the marines, then school. that way school would be free. i know you guys say that marines go first over to war, but it depends on your job, im still thinking of what i want to do in there. but i was gonna do something that has the least chances of going to iraq, while still being interesting to me.

thank all of you for your help
    Apply for a NROTC scholarship. One of my friends went to U of R for free and is now flying helicopters for the Navy and he hasn't paid a dime, (essentially).

More basic information on NROTC:
    http://www.princetonreview.com/cte/a...marinerotc.asp

You get to go to school, become a Marine, all for free (essentially). If you enlist, your chances of death and failure in life are increased comparatively to NROTC.

My 2cts.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    That would bypass his goal of "discipline."

Quote Originally Posted by Progress
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

lol man i meant i would make more money in the marines then i would staying around here. and i cant be a prison guard until im 21, so might as well do something good with my life until i get accepted in the prison (marines will help get that job too)
    20 yrs old
    6'2" 210 lbs
    9% BF
    bench 330 x 2
    squat 415 x 8

Quote Originally Posted by David
    You would indeed get a chuckle from hearing their physical fitness standards.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    You would indeed get a chuckle from hearing their physical fitness standards.
    what you mean by that? ur sayin they suck and my little 12 yr old sister would have no problem doing it? lol
    20 yrs old
    6'2" 210 lbs
    9% BF
    bench 330 x 2
    squat 415 x 8