Thread: Starting Ploymetrics?

Starting Ploymetrics?

Is it true you have to be able to squat 1.5x your weight to start ploymetrics? I really wanted to start this summer to improve my tennis game but I only have a month and a half till summer and I can only squat 5x5 110 pounds and I weigt 170 at 6 feet tall.

No, but if your strength is not up to par you need to be extra careful in your planning and implementation. A little can go a long way. Start with embarrassingly low heights and weights and avoid the temptation to add volume and intensity until you are sure you're ready and you need it.

I just commented on plyos in this thread: http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78807
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

ok, thanks man, I'm assuming it's because it can damage your knees right?

Be careful with them and start off being conservative like Sensei suggested. Improper form can cause serious damage.

P.S.- The DOMS might be intense, so keep the volume down until your body starts adapting.

Doms?

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

i suggest starting with double leg jumps over hurdles. really focus on throwing the arms down and exploding up. also pay close attention to your landing; be sure to land with your knees in line with your body or even slightly outward. also focus on landing low almost like ur in a half sqaut position and hold that position for 2 seconds and then perform the next jump.

the height of the hurlde dosen't matter intially, it's all about how much force you can generate against the ground........

www.airalert.com - great program I would highly suggest.
    "To achieve success, whatever the job we have, we must pay a price."

- Vince Lombardi

> c b r o n s <

Quote Originally Posted by CBrons
    www.airalert.com - great program I would highly suggest.
    This program is awesome, I used the older version of it about 3-4 years ago and it helped me get a 38-40 inch vert.. I was 5'2 dunking 9ft rims and touching 10ft rims....

I was always athletic but this program imo took me to another level..
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659